1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread [Spoiler-Prone Area]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

5.7%
  2. Yep

10.6%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

83.7%
  1. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

Considering that these made a return in Gen VII, I'm not convinced GF is done with them.

PokeMon2.0 and wolf jani like this.
  2. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

That’s how I like to think of it. Looking at every Pokémon game up until now, Game Freak has a habit of taking baby steps with graphics quality and normally they don’t give their 100% until the last game/generation in a console’s life cycle. The Gen V are a good example since they basically runs the same engine as Gen 4 with upgrades like new trainer sprites, fully animated battle sprites, and more use of the same 3D graphics we saw at Spear Pillar & the Distortion World.

Personally, I don’t expect Game Freak to have BOTW levels of graphics until Gen 9 since they’ll have more practice handling the Switch through working Let’s Go, SwSh, & Little Town Hero. So while Sword & Shield could be better I’m appreciating it for what it is & seeing as a testing ground for what to expect for the future

3. Dragalge

Dragalge Arctozolt

That got fixed actually.

And why wouldn’t they continue with Let’s Go games? LGPE sold over 10 million units so clearly there’s a market for those kind of entry games. That and Let’s Go Johto would at least make leveling up probably more bearable compared to GSC/HGSS (as you get exp no matter what). =)

But for now we’re approaching a generation about weapons. I look forward to that. When did this Sinnoh talk come from!

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Well no. A fun pseudo-remake title in a stopgap year where we otherwise would have gotten nothing, completely avoidable if one hated it that much (and oh, did people ever, super sensible), but “[it] shouldn’t have happened” and “there should be no more”? That’s ridiculous.

If you want to say “we shouldn’t get future Let’s Go titles if they directly cost us central core titles,” that’s one thing, but that was also never a direct correlation - that’s a solution in search of a problem. To say we shouldn’t have gotten the first one and should never get others is simply not defensible.

I’d argue the notion of “I don’t like it so it shouldn’t exist” that was all-pervasive during LGP/E’s pre-release period is a significant contributor to polluting all fandoms.

Ophie, i2i, PokeMon2.0 and 5 others like this.
  5. wolf jani

wolf jani #ScorbunnySquad

You're right. I guess I shouldn't have said that. Sorry.

i2i, LilligantLewis and BCVM22 like this.
  6. Mewizard

Mewizard Well-Known Member

I like most areas shown so far, The wild area I feel like visually isn't my cup of tea. How things like the rocks and trees ruins things is that they stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the immersion I have when exploring a game. That's what gets me worried about them, that and the fact that graphically there's no reason for them to look that bad when they could be easily fixed.

Marzbar likes this.
  7. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

What I'm concerned about is how the large Pokemon will move around camp? Will Snorlax move at all? If we have Ultra Beasts how might they act? Honestly things might not be hugely diverse in terms of animation but I'd like for there to be some cute little details like baby Pokemon playing with their evolved forms or Bagon chasing after the flying Pokemon.

wolf jani likes this.
  8. DSDark

DSDark Breeder

I mean they could. I personally hope that the upgraded versions of games is a thing of the past. People aren't going to want to shell out $60 for almost the same again in a year or two. If they want to Upgrade the games just release it as dlc for $20 or something

9. Bus

Bus Well-Known Member

I like the pokemon that were revealed in that last direct, but it stinks only 2 were shown off. And of the two, we pretty much knew about the bird already. At least we had clarification on how its ability worked since the leak wasn't clear on whether it was an attack or what. Nice of Gamefreak to make it use that ability after using Surf or Dive; two of the stronger, more reliable attack options for just about every Water type.

I have to point out, too, that the characters seem to show a lot more facial expressions this time around. That may not sound like much, but I find it a huge relief after the last gen where the protagonist had the same stupid grin on his face the entire game (save for like 2 instances) and thus came off like a creepy psychopath.

10. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Happy Holidays! Staff Member Moderator

When did it get fixed? It's been awhile since I've even bothered with Go Park. Got tired of it destroying whatever I tried to send over.

11. Ultra Beast Lover

I guess it was to prove that not all sociopaths are dangerous? Either way, I'd love to see someone dub the protagonist during the SuMo/USUM cutscenes:

Faba: You'll never be able to leave, I have the key.

PC: (smiling) I will rip the key from your cold, lifeless-gosh darn Hau quit foiling me.

Meanwhile our new protagonists have shown seriousness, awe, excitement, and will probably even show anger and maybe sadness, I hope sadness because so far a protagonist from the main games haven't been shown expressing sadness.

PokeMon2.0 and wolf jani like this.
  12. Bus

Bus Well-Known Member

I feel like we won't reach sadness, but perhaps shed tears of sympathy for a reformed villain or whatever cliche moment we get lol.

wolf jani likes this.
  13. DaijobuPlease

DaijobuPlease Well-Known Member

This,

I am not going to pay another 60 dollars for a game they can do DLC for and if they do an expansion it better be MHW level expansion. That is worth the 40 dollars its practically a full game for 20 less of a full game. No way pokemon makes a 3rd game that has enough content to be worth another 60 dollars looking at the track history of each 3rd game besides BW2 have been meh tier. I would rather them do DLC for extended story.

14. SpiritSkye

SpiritSkye #ShieldGang

I'm of the mind that Game Freak had to cut the dex less because of time or personnel constraints (though I'm sure that contributed to it) and more because of their limited capabilities with programming and optimization. I imagine if they were more efficient in those regards, there would be more room on the game cards for the other pokémon.

Of course, they could hire more programmers, or make a new team focused on optimization, but I think it's fairly clear they don't intend to do so. This is why I accepted this ("Dexit") would happen eventually no matter what, so I wasn't surprised or upset. I feel like more people would be less upset if they also saw Game Freak's capabilities in this light. They just can't do it, as far as I understand, so the demand for all pokémon can't be met.

That's just my perspective, though.
    ---
    On an unrelated note, I thought some of you might also enjoy this recreation I came across of the train station music:

Ophie, JohnLynch, wolf jani and 2 others like this.
  15. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

I REALLY HOPE that this games will have less cut scenes like in SM..... or that we will be able to skip them. It was horrible.
    Btw, the train music is beautiful.

Mewizard likes this.
  16. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

I just hope that Story AND story telling are good for once.

wolf jani and janejane6178 like this.
  17. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

If they have more cutscenes or the same amount as Sun & Moon did, I’m hoping they’re as lively as what we’ve been seeing in the trailers. I’m not counting the Hau/Hop comparison moment, I’m talking about moments like when Gloria fist bumped Scorbunny, the scene of her catching snowflakes in the snowy city, the scene of Hop & Victor riding the train together, or the close up shots when the gym leaders enter the stadiums. Those are some of the best examples of how lively the game could be (especially when compared to Sun & Moon), so I’d be fine dealing with cutscenes if it means we get to see stuff like this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  18. Ultra Beast Lover

I don't mind cutscenes I just don't want to have to do a tutorial if it's something I either already know or don't care about at the moment. Also hoping we don't have the "good guys" looking evil right off the bat and going on an obviously evil rant.

I wouldn't mind doing a silly side mission like with Shauna as long as we learn something about the characters this time. We could go find a chef's new Alcreamie employee with Hop where we learn his motives and how he feels about things, a festival where we learn about Marnie and her motives, heck a fireworks show with all three of us would be awesome as long as something is gained from it. I know I talk about the XY group a lot but again as much as I liked the fireworks scene I would've liked it more if we could've had a back and forth, we'd be responding to her like 2-4 times but each option would have lead to her talking about what she wants to do and why she's on this potentially life changing journey.

Sorry, tirade, but you know what I mean. I want it to be like in ORAS with Brendan and Wally, or Bianca, Hugh, Cheren, N, Hau, and Lillie where you got to bond with them over serious, silly, yet all the same important things.

wolf jani and AgentKallus like this.
  19. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

I
    I would like an option to be able to keep cutscnes if we already played the game once

LilligantLewis likes this.
  20. Why not both? FRLG didn't stop them from making Emerald and HGSS didn't stop them from making Platinum; they're 2/3 on having a remake AND sequel game.

Bolt the Cat and wolf jani like this.