• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I “could” see a world where a main series Pokémon game could be as open world as BotW but it’d be very hard to pull off.

Biggest problem I’d see is how do you do the size of the cities and towns? BotW is very loosely populated. To actually add cities and towns in an open world environment the size of BoTW would probably be The largest project in game development of all time to pull off.
Yes. Considering how many towns Pokemon games usually have, such a game would be even bigger than Breath of the Wild.

Ning

I’m curious if they’ll have some form of occasional events on occasion for SwSh. Both PvE and PvP. That’s pretty standard now in games with online features even without microtransactions (which let’s not go down discussing that black hole and would ruin this thread).

Say, instead of the upcoming giveaways of shiny solgaleo and lunala, make obtaining them some part of an in game event. Some new post game story content possibly.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I’m curious if they’ll have some form of occasional events on occasion for SwSh. Both PvE and PvP. That’s pretty standard now in games with online features even without microtransactions (which let’s not go down discussing that black hole and would ruin this thread).

Say, instead of the upcoming giveaways of shiny solgaleo and lunala, make obtaining them some part of an in game event. Some new post game story content possibly.
Considering Dexit is now a thing, they would have to make those Pokemon available in the Regional Dex in order to distribute them to that game as an event or make them available in in-game events.

Ning

I’m not referring to Solagaleo and Lunala specifically, was just using the most recent example they are doing.

Events that give shinies of the Pokémon that are in SwSh is what I’m thinking. Or other character customization options. (I think trainer cards would be most likely.)

Say, for a month the Unova league comes to visit Galar and you can battle them (and they only use Pokémon in SwSh) and if you beat them you get a shiny Deino.

Those are the things I’m thinking of them being able to do.

I have a hard time believing they won’t be adding some form of more additional online content since that’s just what’s done now in games. (And I don’t mean dlc you pay for)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I’m not referring to Solagaleo and Lunala specifically, was just using the most recent example they are doing.

Events that give shinies of the Pokémon that are in SwSh is what I’m thinking. Or other character customization options. (I think trainer cards would be most likely.)

Say, for a month the Unova league comes to visit Galar and you can battle them (and they only use Pokémon in SwSh) and if you beat them you get a shiny Deino.

Those are the things I’m thinking of them being able to do.
However, this might also be affected by Dexit.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I'm gonna guess that there is another alcremie decoration as all the decorations from it's gigantamax have been seen except the star.

gigantamaxalcremie.png

I’m guessing the Star will represent its shiny.

(Also, sorry for responding to a three day old post. I’m just now catching up on everything I’ve missed in this thread.)

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Honestly I just can't get over how beautiful this game looks. With every new bit of info, the excitement builds to finally be able to have it in my hands and enjoy the beauty first hand :).

Just all the little details alone which make the world feel so much more realistic like the hop scotch and the snow man in the snow, it makes the world feel actually lived in.

Ning

It seems like there is an auto save feature in SwSh as mentioned in this pokejungle article and the accompanying trailer at the 45 second mark https://pokejungle.net/2019/09/07/p...o-save-feature/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Obviously there’s no official info about this, but opinions?

Even in worst case scenario of somehow preventing soft resetting, I don’t think it can be judged alone until we see how things like EVs, IVs, determining natures, and shinies works.

If it’s toggle-able its definitely a good addition imo just because accidentally losing hours of gameplay because of lack of saving is horrible.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It seems like there is an auto save feature in SwSh as mentioned in this pokejungle article and the accompanying trailer at the 45 second mark https://pokejungle.net/2019/09/07/p...o-save-feature/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Even in worst case scenario of somehow preventing soft resetting, I don’t think it can be judged alone until we see how things like EVs, IVs, determining natures, and shinies works.

If it’s toggle-able its definitely a good addition imo just because accidentally losing hours of gameplay because of lack of saving is horrible.
I hope it's optional/in addition to regular saving. I'd hate to run into any issues with the game and not be able to save regularly.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I hope it's optional/in addition to regular saving. I'd hate to run into any issues with the game and not be able to save regularly.
I don’t know. I mean, it sucks for people soft resetting to get certain Pokémon but it could come in handy for when you need to leave and you can’t save the game because you’re either in the middle of a battle or it’s taking forever to save your progress. I know that’s happened to me a number of times growing up.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
If it’s similar to how BotW, Octopath, Three Houses, etc. do auto save, then there’s a separate file for manual saves and auto saves. In other words, there wouldn’t be anything to worry about.

However, if the auto save acts like it does in Odyssey and Astral Chain, where it overwrites manual saves... Then we may be in trouble.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I don’t know. I mean, it sucks for people soft resetting to get certain Pokémon but it could come in handy for when you need to leave and you can’t save the game because you’re either in the middle of a battle or it’s taking forever to save your progress. I know that’s happened to me a number of times growing up.
Yea, but being able to save at any time served the same function. I have more problems when saving is limited to towns. And quick saves are the only option. Played a game like that and it was messed up. As in there was no way past a certain area, as the game would crash after a battle. I'd hate for something like that would happen and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Have a couple of thoughts on the "auto-saving".

1. I'm not sure it's autosaving as the footage seems cut after you walk to the boutique, but before you walk in.
2. If it is auto-saving, it could work like Dragon Quest XI where the game automatically saves, but you still have to save it yourself to ensure your save data.
Also, on this point, Dragon Quest XI autosaves in case your power goes out, or in my case, when the game crashed.
3. You can still see the manual save in the options menu.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Well that's good. So the auto save works as a kind of buffer then?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well that's good. So the auto save works as a kind of buffer then?
I'm guessing. I'm thinking, assuming that autosaving is a thing, any manual saves you make override autosaves, or if you were to load the game from the last manual save, you lose the autosave's progess.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm guessing. I'm thinking, assuming that autosaving is a thing, any manual saves you make override autosaves, or if you were to load the game from the last manual save, you lose the autosave's progess.
Ah. I'm hoping that autosaves don't override manual ones.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
But imo you can’t compare two games when the franchises themselves are so different. Pokémon is a turn-based JRPG with an established formula, while Zelda is a JRPG action-adventure series with a much greater focus on the story, world, and characters, plus is always changing and is never stagnant.

You had me until here. Pokemon and Zelda's differences don't prevent Pokemon from implementing open world, open world game design has been implemented in a variety of game genres (action adventures, platformers, shooters, ARPGs, and I think there have in fact been JRPGs as well). Pokemon's formula can work just fine with open world, the only thing separating Zelda from Pokemon is that Zelda's developers are willing to put in the time and resources to make an ambitious, high quality game and Pokemon's aren't. That's all there is to it.

I think the approach taken with the Wild Area is a much more sensible route for Pokémon to go down rather than trying to mimic the fully open world approach. I get the desire for some to be able to go wherever they want when they want but I feel it brings up more complications in Pokémon than it does in a game like Zelda. In Zelda you can just upscale some of the enemies as the player gets more powerful. In Pokémon you don't just have to upscale the wild Pokémon, you've also got to rebalance the NPC trainers teams as well and that will prove far more complicated.

That's not much of an issue, they did it before with the Vs. Seeker.

Yeah, this could be horrible if it's not done right, then you'd be locked into certain decisions you might not have wanted. I think the best way to handle it would be to have a restore feature of some sort (BotW also does this, and many other games), it would allow you to roll back your game to a previous save and continue from there. But they'd have to be careful how they handle that because it could easily be abused for cloning (which is probably the main reason they haven't tampered with the save system).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

It auto-saves, because a trade occurs.

Y-Comm can multitask so, it shows when the trade happens and notifies you instead of you logging on GTS every single time. If you don't want it to activate, simply don't offer trade during important scenes like resetting for nature. That is my take from the situation, at least.