1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread [Spoiler-Prone Area]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

4.8%
  2. Yep

10.4%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

84.8%
  1. RoughCoronet0

RoughCoronet0 Dragon lover

Though I’ve only rarely used the GTS, I do hope it makes a return....with a few changes.

Like not being able to set a desired gender that you want for a Pokémon you are “seeking” that is infact genderless. That was probably the most frustrating thing for me when I did look for Pokémon though the GTS.

Ophie likes this.
  2. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Member

i know that the n64 animations are pretty nice they where made by hal labaroty after all. some quality devs there

that being said though the most impressive pokemon game as far as animations go remains pokemon battle revolution for me.

I'm just suprised of the small size of genius seniority that's all

SwordDude, Inoshi and shoz999 like this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

Which also appears to re-use and update animation all the way from the N64 era. I know. Crazy right?

Ophie likes this.
  4. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

We’re also getting closer to the 1000 mark! Maybe next gen will finally get there? Odd numbered gens do tend to introduce more new Pokémon. Or with gen 10 being around the 30th anniversary, they might celebrate 1000 Pokémon during that time.

!!! Awesome! Yoshi’s Island is very nostalgic to me, one of my favorite games ever. Very fun to play.

Ophie, Orphalesion and Ignition like this.
  5. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Member

in battle revolution the animation physical ones where much improved over the n64 one wich had some wonky movement. not to mention actually walking to the opponent to actually make physical contact. that's not on the 64

obviously things like flamethrower going to be sorta the same. but otherwise battle revolution had more moves and double the pokemon. naturally some moves going to be somewhat the same since your not going to change that much. it's just breathing fire.

not to mention the idle animations and when a pokemon barely holds on those got much better in battle revolution. that's not comparable to the n64 versions

6. shoz999

Yeah. That's what I mean by updated. If you look at the Venusaur model, you can see the angry-eye animation is still there. If you look at the Blastoise model, his shell is shaped nearly the same as the N64 model with slightly jagged corners. If you look at the Charizard model, he stands in the same position as the old Charizard model and thanks to most of those updates that you mentioned, they seem like brand new models and to this date, the graphics still hold up well thanks to all that hard work put into updating the animations.

Ophie likes this.
  7. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Member

I'm not seeing simular results in sword & shield those are just like the 3ds animations. like say a physical move with some weak animation. let alone physical contact

nothing wrong with that but i'm just suprised that only 20ish people did a way better job than gamefreak

nesian42ryukaiel and shoz999 like this.
  8. WeepingHallows

WeepingHallows Well-Known Member

It'd be awesome if we reach 1000 by gen 9, but I doubt it. Like you say it would probably be more like gen 10. Although, by GameFreak's standards they already consider us at basically 1000 because of all the different forms some pokemon have.

Nice. Yoshi's Island is fun. Tetris 99 is also really fun if you haven't checked it out yet, plus the Sword and Shield event in it is getting ready to start if it hasn't already. I've not played too much as I pretty much let my nephew take my Switch for 5 days of the week since he returned to school in August, which is why I was also eager for his Switch to arrive today, but it didn't. FedEx completely failed to deliver it despite it being out for delivery the entire day. Sorry, I don't mean to vent, I just want my Switch back. lol Plus it's the Zacian and Zamazenta edition that he wanted so I really want to see it in person.

Ophie, Orphalesion and Sceptrigon like this.
  9. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Lost my profile picture when Ash beat Kukui

True thank you Ophie for not taking up a whole page :)

Ophie likes this.
  10. yefluke

yefluke Dizzy Trainer

Looks like a lot of people buy switch for the sw/sh.

Does that mean the good sign for nintendo and GF?

11. shoz999

The Pokemon series has always been a powerful system seller. I'm curious how this game will go up against Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, also fellow system sellers.

Ophie likes this.
  12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Is there a scenario in which hardware sales and particularly hardware sales with an attached game are a bad thing?

Ophie and Arcanineblitz like this.
  13. xayshade

xayshade Member

While SwSh will sell a lot of copies, and will review qell and be a fun game with a long shelf life, i doubt it will outsell breath of the wild or mario odyssey.

Ophie likes this.
  14. Noy

Noy Well-Known Member

I just realized something. Will Shiny Gigantimax be possible? if random Pokemon can't Gigantimax, then you would literally need to catch the shiny during a max-raid; assuming that it can be shiny during raids.

if so, that's another layer of difficulty for shininess, since Gigantimax raids are supposed to be somewhat rare apparently.

15. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Let me ask you the reverse question. What makes you so convinced it is in the game? It hasn't been confirmed as far as I know and the most recent main series game, which is also the only reference we have for pokémon on the switch, didn't have it. Instead, it had the single worst online trading system in the franchise history. Maybe they decided it was too difficult on the switch, maybe they want to keep it in Home to entice people to pay for that service. You don't know.
    I guess it just means that a number of fans are kind of reckless spending over €400 on a game they know next to nothing about. Their decision, but I don't think customers recklessly purchasing products blindly is a good incentive for a company to produce quality products.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 6:52 AM
  16. Arcanineblitz

Arcanineblitz Well-Known Member

Because they’ve mentioned being able to trade online previously and online trading is a staple of the series.

EmeraldArcanine likes this.
  17. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

You've been espousing this almost since these games were made public and it has never been anything but the most uncharitable possible read of the situation.

Maybe the GTS is still there as we know it, in its entirety. Maybe it's gone in name only and the functionality remains under a different name. Maybe it is contained within Home (I am not inclined to believe this entirely, though if something similar to the GTS were part of Home in addition to its presence in the games themselves, I would not be surprised). Or maybe it is gone entirely (I am not particularly inclined to believe this is the case at all).

But if you want to hang your hat upon "maybe, maybe, maybe, you don't know," then doesn't it hold up far better to, at this still relatively thin stage, assume that the hallmark of Wi-Fi functionality for the last four generations is probably still hanging around to some degree? If you want to assume the worst, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't hold up at all to act like your doomedest possible read of the situation is the more logical one. Particularly when the crux of your argument is that LGP/E was missing the GTS, despite those games visibly and intentionally lacking in other functionality. Breeding wasn't a mechanic in those games either, and yet Galar has not one but two day cares, and it would have made just as little sense to assume that breeding was gone for good solely because of its absence in LGP/E.

That's ridiculous, you know that's ridiculous, and like the one yahoo who was pushing that hysterical garbage about "suing Game Freak," there's no way you actually believe this. No further dignifying of this is required. Moving on.

18. Elchar

Elchar Well-Known Member

Was the online trading in LGPE really that bad? I am glad I never used it then. I just transfered all the version exclusives and trade evolutions from Go to complete the Pokédex. Easy enough.

19. shoz999

To sum it up. It is easily the worst and most chaotic online trade system in the entirety of the Pokemon series that it was clear that GameFreak did not thought this through as it did more to harm the casual experience then enhance it.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  20. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The actual act of trading was fine and fast enough.

The method of initiating a trade was... subpar, to say the least, and one lesson I hope they learned in deciding what to import to Sword and Shield, and what to leave in LGP/E.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.