1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread [Spoiler-Prone Area]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

6.8%
  2. Yep

10.5%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

82.7%
  1. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before. Staff Member Moderator

I don't mind it, but I like the Japanese trailer a bit more.

Ophie, Sceptrigon and wolf jani like this.
  2. WeepingHallows

WeepingHallows Well-Known Member

Fishing or surfing for that matter has never been perfect though. I mean the background/ground below both pokemon would show water as if you're battling in the water even if you use a pokemon like Charmander that could seriously be hurt by water considering they die if their flame goes out. If we're going to get technical about this then shouldn't pokemon like that not be allowed to be used? I choose to view the fishing as you would in real life. When you go fishing you don't leave the fish in the water, you pull it out on land. It only makes sense that in pokemon you'd yank it onto land to battle it. It would give yourself the advantage(not that that matters in the games). I guess if you absolutely wanted the pokemon to stay in the water then a perfect fishing scenario would be ground below your pokemon and water below the enemy.

Ophie likes this.
  3. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

True, it is sort of a let down, but I do keep note that Let's GO did begin its programming development shortly after Sword & Shield. This would likely explain why its background designs are ahead.

Game Freak could have switched gears, but it would have required halting the development process.

Ophie, wolf jani and mtqc like this.
  4. mtqc

mtqc MY BEANS!

And that's good that you politely voice your opposition and critique when you think GF is mis-stepping! Anything unrelated to the backgrounds is just not stuff I care about, so I don't critique it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

Yeah, first time seeing the Japanese trailer, that version of the gym leader battle music boosted my hype even more than I expected. I’m looking forward to hearing more of the music in the games.

Ophie and LilligantLewis like this.
  6. TsengHyena

TsengHyena Well-Known Member

Why do we still not have a difficulty mode, and why is the game still garbage easy? I really hope the next game isn't as choppily made as this one.

The most interesting aspect of the remakes is playing through an improved version of an old game, with all the new pokemon added to modernize the experience with new mechanics. Diamond and Pearl, being bad games until Platinum, are going to need this more than others.

7. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

I do however still have hope these games could be good. All these negative aspects have come from someone else, i personally haven't played it so i won't judge. It's just if the stuff is true I'll be disappointed. But regardless it's a Pokemon game, I'll still love it like always but i do hope Game Freak listens to the criticism and rectifies it

Ophie, mtqc, LilligantLewis and 2 others like this.
  8. TsengHyena

The negatives also came from the Datamine, which can't lie. At best, we can hope with Gen 9 we finally get the promised Hardcore fanbase game.

9. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, I would have loved to play ORAS, but what killed it for me was the lack of trainer customization (particularly because I think that May and Brendan are both among the worst dressed PCs Pokemon has). Other than that I would have loved to play through 3D Hoenn with Fairy types and all that stuff.

Whether the things shown in the Datamine are "negative" to make SwSh bad games is subjective though. To me the Datamine showed nothing that would ruin my enjoyment of the games.

Ophie, jsdnsd, mtqc and 2 others like this.
  10. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Yeah but there's a difference between just seeing it in images versus experiencing it urself.
    Also the leakers said they had a blast playing it.

11. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

well, I think DP remakes can still have many Gen V, Gen VI, and Gen VII Pokémon, as well as many new mechanics

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

I know I say that each time this comes up but... Sinnohan Forms. We need them!

13. TsengHyena

If it doesn't have the all the new monsters to experience it in a new way, then its utter garbage and the developers would be garbage.

14. Kangaflora

Kangaflora Well-Known Member

If they're going to do a Diamond and Pearl remake, then they will hopefully stay faithful to the original versions by keeping the National Dex in them. I think they should give players a reward for successfully completing the National Dex such as returning to certain regions or given all the Mythical Pokémon in their shiny forms.

15. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

k

16. SpiritSkye

SpiritSkye #ShieldGang

I had the same issue with ORAS, so it took me a loooooong time to be motivated to continue playing it after I started, and Sapphire used to be my favorite game so it was disappointing to me I couldn’t get into it. That said, I did eventually continue and complete it, and wow lemme tell you the flying mechanic you get later on???? AMAZING. Arceus above, I really hope it makes a comeback eventually! I seriously want to see what it looks like flying above the landscape like in ORAS with the new graphics we have on the Switch.

Ophie likes this.
  17. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

The flying mechanic was PEREFECT. Loved it.
    Oras is like my fav Pokemon games.............. I loved the fact that we didnt have customization cuz I love Brendon and May designs and they are memorable just the way they are

18. Little Hero

Little Hero Well-Known Member

Currently watching someone playing the game...not impressed. There's so many things I could say but most have been repeated nonstop so I'll just keep it to myself, except for this: I sincerely thought Game Freak would do more than the bare minimum; I might as well be playing the Sun and Moon games with a new coat of paint from what I'm seeing but, whatever. Will probably rent it down the line or buy it used. Maybe it will grow on me. Maybe.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  19. Tiger21820

Tiger21820 Master of Fire & Ice

I'm glad Kirlia made the cut! Kirlia is my absolute favorite Pokémon and am excited to see it in Pokémon camp! I hope Ralts can be encountered early in the game too! I am disappointed that all the Pokémon aren't in Sword & Shield, but I hope there will be some substantial features to mess around with! But I cannot see myself getting the 700-800+ hours like I did in X, Y, Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire... Which by the way, in my opinion, were the best games I have put 800 hours into! I hope that one day, maybe as the last Pokémon games, all (projected) 1000+ Pokémon (and all of their forms) will be obtainable in some medium with a HUGE National Pokédex to spend 10,000+ hours trying to fill! I hope there are some Pokémon that you have to transfer from older games in order to obtain!

20. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

So I decided to watch some live gameplay of Sword & Shield, and oh my god are the NationalDexers are gonna be pissed. lol

Those bloody trees are EVERYWHERE. In the Wild Area, at least.

It's honestly a shame, really. Game Freak could have done some degree of texture retouching prior to launch. I'm hoping they do better in subsequent titles.

Kyuu-Tales and FlygontheRavager like this.