1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread [Spoiler-Prone Area]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

5.6%
  2. Yep

10.6%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

83.8%
  1. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Man, i really hate the way TRs were executed.

I mean, i don't mind that they exist since we need some useful prizes for raid battles other than exp candies, but did they really have to make moves like Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice beam TRs?

We use them so often that it becomes quite annoying to farm for them.
    It feels like a step back from what BW introduced.

wolf jani and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Some of the NPC faces look weird in battle though. Especially the Camera guy and the cops.

3. Shneak

Shneak this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨

Are you playing Shield? I'm noticing the same. I've found 800 Fish but like no Dinos.

Ophie and anjunajake like this.
  4. wolf jani

wolf jani #ScorbunnySquad

Having completed these games. I give them 8/10 . I really enjoyed them but they felt somehow lacking & the end being rushed. + I had to handicap myself with no items & no dynamax to feel challenged.

5. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Are the mints post game? Because I really want a Adamant Scorbunny?

6. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

On this subject, I wanted to chime in with why I don’t think we’re going to be seeing Galar again next year.

Galar as a region has its singular monomyth which is already fully addressed in these games. There are just the three legendaries, the story of which is fully covered, and nothing else to serve as a building block for further expansion. There is no villainous team, per se, in the traditional way; there is no mysterious probably-related legendary that becomes the new focus for a second round, unlike the last five generations (RIP Zygarde’s game(s)).

This is the first time we have a paired set to start a generation wherein the story seems complete and neatly wrapped within those versions. Usually, that third legendary is left outstanding, with little bits of missing information or plot hooks to facilitate the next games. Since that didn’t happen, it feels very intentional, as if it was done specifically to avoid a return to Galar being necessary. Or, more specifically, to avoid a repeat of the Zygarde debacle. We already have the big boss battle with the mysterious third Legendary, like we did in USUM; we already have story and plot with the mascots; we already have the answer to what’s generally going on in the region. While I’m sure that perspectives can be flipped or things can be tweaked, it doesn’t feel all that possible to flesh it out in the same way that we did for USUM.

There aren’t any other legendaries in the regional Pokédex, and there aren’t any Galarian’s legendaries secretly programmed into the games according to data mining.

The other thing to note is that according to the only pattern that has held true for Game Freak so far, we get remakes in the first generation on a given new system, ever since the Game Boy Advance. We got remakes in Gen 3 for that; Gen 4 for the first of two generations DS; and Gen 6 for the first of two on the 3DS. If the pattern holds, we get remakes next year for the first new generation on the Switch.

As for hints toward Sinnoh specifically, I admit that the hints aren’t there in the same way they were before, for example, HGSS. There are little things here and there - Sylvally being present and having some connection to Arceus; having a Battle Tower for the first time since Gen 4; the number of Sinnoh species in the wild throughout the game. There’s even an argument to be made that Galar is geographically/environmentally somewhat similar to Sinnoh. But the hints are, nonetheless, somewhat weak and sparse.

There are a couple complicating factors here, though, that could mean I’m totally wrong. First, Sword and Shield were definitely a little rushed and had an abnormal development cycle; it could be that they immediately make more Galar games to make the region feel as fleshed out and full as their vision for it allows. Second, I have no idea whether or not Let’s Go throws a wrench in the usual remake pattern - but I lean toward a no, since they weren’t traditional remakes and were pretty different from the rest of the core series.

What happens in the end remains to be seen, and we won’t know until February at the earliest, most likely. But that’s my analysis.

Ophie and wolf jani like this.
  7. Bus

Bus Well-Known Member

Yeah, Shield. I haven't found any Dino Fossils lying around, but I have gotten 2 so far from the Digger Duo (I've been dumping a bunch of watts into the 'Skilled' brother). I'm going to accumulate like 3000 watts again and see if maybe giving a ton to the other brother would yield me the Bird fossil.

Ophie likes this.
  8. Sham

Sham show the unknown

I think we will be seeing Galar again. Do I think it’s going to be some massive chance like BW2? More than likely no but the fact this region feels so hollow gives it room to grow in the next games similar to DP and Platinum. When people say they love Gen 4 most mean Platinum and HGSS.

Ophie likes this.
  9. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Active Member

while platinum is the superior game for gen 4. diamond & pearl where not bad.

the region was excellent decent story etc etc

all 3rd versions are better allot better but the older duo version felt like a complete game. diamon & pearl ruby & sapphire black & white these weren't rushed the where good

people dont hate diamond & pearl they already had content the thing is platinum has that content + all box legendaries + extra post game etc etc just like with all 3ds 2nd versions.

they where good games but the 2nd or 3rd releases have the same plus more. the only thing that is different is the main story order of gyms some characters etc. slightly different music

10. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

I doubt it, honestly...but I hope so. Pokemon SwSh are good games, but I want Galar to go out on a much better note.

Ophie and Sham like this.
  11. DannyDark

DannyDark The Earthquake Maker

Do Max Raid Pokemon always hit 1-hit-KO moves? I've seen 3 guillotines and they've all hit.. 2 just now in one battle, which wasn't very fun.

12. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Diamond and Peal failed to introduce Cynthia at an earlier time, explain Cyrus motivations more clearly, had a lackluster post game and the mechanics were off-ish. They weren’t bad games just incomplete compared to Platinum. I’m not really going to get into the logistics but I never see people replaying DP but Platinum a ton. These recent games having a complete story doesn’t mean it’s a decent story. In my opinion we should of seen more of the behind the scenes stuff (like others have said) instead of simply going from Gym to Gym. We basically complete 4 Gyms in a row without a real plot going on besides Sonia updating us here and there. There’s definitely room for improvement. I’m not saying Galar 2.0 is happening but these games definitely weren’t a masterpiece in the category of storytelling.

Ophie likes this.
  13. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Active Member

platinum's story was different thanks to the alternate world and the envolvement of giratina

as I said platinum has the same plus a ton more other content more people will replay platinum since swapped gym orders and slightly altered story is not worth the trade off what platinum has in almost the same stuff and more.

all 3rd releases will be replayed more since they offer more especially in the postgame.

diamond & pearl are however not the only one all past duo releases had this.

I think only red & blue might be better than yellow if you dislike having pikachu following you around at all times.

still though diamond & pearl didnt feel as unfinished as sword & shield.

Sham likes this.
  14. DaijobuPlease

DaijobuPlease Well-Known Member

So is anyone having issues with the Link Codes over wifi? Thats probably been my worse experience during the whole game besides the wild area lagging like some cheeks when online.

Getting to connect with people and getting their league card is like the hardest thing. The friend Filter doesnt even work all the time.

15. DannyDark

DannyDark The Earthquake Maker

I'm really glad Hop still complimented me for using a Super Effective attack and still praised and tried to imitate his brother in the Champions Cup battle.. some really solid growth there, geez. As I one-shot each of his Pokemon, too.

wolf jani likes this.
  16. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Glimwood Tangle is Literal Dreamland

Seems to be. On the Serebii page for nature-changing, which is what mints are for, you need BP to purchase them.

wolf jani likes this.
  17. greninjamaster

greninjamaster Well-Known Member

The 3rd one will have the National Dex I imagine and they'll add new Galarian forms and Dynamax's as well as new Gym Leaders I imagine.

18. keithpetrosky

keithpetrosky Well-Known Member

I’m just going to give my opinion of the new games having played them with other people and being a Pokémon fan since the OG Pokémon games.

I had high hopes for the new games with all our currently technology and the switch gaming system. I kept thinking of what was promised, a game geared towards old fans but new will also like. Overall I am Not happy with the new games. Here’s my reasons:

- Removing the National Dex.
    Dude, I want my old Pokémon in my new games ever since pokebank made that possible. I don’t care if I have the advantage over those that don’t, I spent a lot of time and money to keep them and if I must pay $300 for a switch plus $60 for your game PLUS you want me to buy Pokémon home it had better include every Pokémon or the promise of that capability in the near future or you waste my money and time. I don’t want to start new rather blend old WITH new.

- Removing over 150 Pokémon moves? Um really? First game to cut moves which is like half the point of the game. At least up until Us/Um you could get old moves by transfer or breeding so they technically weren’t cut just hard to get. But this is madness!

- The pokemon for the most part seem unoriginal or duplicated. This gen seems meh, very forgettable Pokémon. With the exception of a few I don’t like this gen, too many overused Pokémon themes meaning living things that are already a Pokémon, and that galar Meowth turning into something other than Persian which doesn’t even look cat like seems terrible and just weird it might as well been a seperate pokemon species to begin with.

- No dual type for our starters final evolution. Very disappointing and boring. I expected better, sobbles final could have been water/ghost, scorbunnys Fire/electric or fire/ground, and Grookys grass/fighting.

I’ve had kids play the game and veteran players, kids don’t seem to mind the game and I think it’s because they don’t know what they are missing out from past games. This seems exactly like a Let’s Go continuation rather than continuation of prior games. Pokémon forgot veteran players as they cut many things we know and love about the games.
    From mega evolution to national dex to moves to no shiny starters to no wondertrade to a boring post game and we all expected better graphics and gameplay and this game seems childish like Let’s go games.
    Pokken tournament, now that’s the look and feel I was hoping for new Pokémon games.

I could go on but these are what bother me most and what make me not want to buy the game. The only saving grace for future Pokémon would be allow the National dex and all moves, and either apply updates to S/Sh or the next new game fix these issues now that Nintendo has heard the outcry of fans.

I’m a huge Pokémon fan, and that’s why this bothers me so much, I feel like this new game has ruined too much where I no longer am interested in the game and that’s never happened before.

19. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Dang I was looking forward to getting different natures before champion battle.Also con someone help me with my team its

Scorbunnys evolution

Corviknight

Barrascuta

Weezing

Grimmsnarl

Toxicitry

Should I replace Toxicitry with Dragspult I already have a fast physical sweeper and only have 1 special attacker?

20. DaddyOak

DaddyOak Active Member

why would they cause an uproar and deconfirm it than? dexit would not have existed if not for the interviews

besides 400 to 890 that's quite a long way. maybe 50 100 mons more in next game but i can't imagine the full dex coming back anytime soon