• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
So now that Home has been released and we have a list of TMs/TRs that older can learn, here are some notable ones that I saw:

-Stakataka can learn Body Press and Heat Crash, which is great coverage for it
-Magearna learns Stored Power (which could be dangerous with Soul Heart and Shift Gear)
-Necrozma learns Dragon Dance and Cosmic Power
-Guzzlord doesn't get Dragon Dance :(
-Celesteela gets Cosmic Power, which is absolutely frightening
-Tapu Bulu gets High Horsepower, Close Combat and Play Rough
-Tapu Koko gets Close Combat and Play Rough
-Primarina finally gets Calm Mind
-Kyurem gets Dragon Dance (as do Zekrom and Reshiram) and Icicle Spear
-Diancie gets Stored Power and Body Press (which may pair well with Diamond Storm)
-Tornadus and Thundurus learn Nasty Plot
-Deoxys gets Nasty Plot as well
-Groudon gets HEAT CRASH (imagine Primal Groudon with this)
-Latios and Latias get Mystical Fire and Aura Sphere
-Registeel and Regirock get Body Press
-Mesprit and Uxie get Nasty Plot
-Regigigas can learn Rest and Protect now
-Cresselia gets Cosmic Power
-Zapdos learns Weather Ball (as do the other birds) and Hurricane, making it SCARY on a Rain team (with Thunder, Weather Ball, and Hurricane)
-Mewtwo gets Nasty Plot...which was super unnecessary
-Lugia can learn Hurricane
-Celebi learns a lot of new moves, including Nasty Plot and Aura Sphere.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So now that Home has been released and we have a list of TMs/TRs that older can learn, here are some notable ones that I saw:

-Magearna learns Stored Power (which could be dangerous with Soul Heart and Shift Gear)
-Diancie gets Stored Power and Body Press (which may pair well with Diamond Storm)
-Zapdos learns Weather Ball (as do the other birds) and Hurricane, making it SCARY on a Rain team (with Thunder, Weather Ball, and Hurricane)
Don't forget Baton Pass on Latias, Latios, Magearna, Uxie, and Mesprit. Especially Uxie can potentially be a good passer of Nasty Plot or Amnesia. And I reckon Latias can pass Weakness Policy or Calm Mind well, while Magearna can pass Soul Heart and/or Shift Gear. Another notable one is Raikou getting Aura Sphere and Weather Ball back, which used to be event only, and it apparently also gets Scald. Lycanroc gets Play Rough and Close Combat. And yes, Primal Groudon with Heat Crash would be so broken (as if it wasn't already broken before)

Last edited:

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

Honestly, it is disappointing that Primarina still cannot learn Boomburst when Pokémon with Special Attack rocketing the sky got Nasty Plot. That would be great to run Liquid Voice sets.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Honestly, it is disappointing that Primarina still cannot learn Boomburst when Pokémon with Special Attack rocketing the sky got Nasty Plot. That would be great to run Liquid Voice sets.
I think it'd probably be a bit overpowered if it did. Primarina already has excellent special attack, solid special bulk, and a speed not ideal but slow enough for Trick Room. Pair it up with something like Jellicent to set up Trick Room (and heal from Boomburst) and you're looking at something that's very scary without Primarina needing to set up itself. Nasty Plot is available to a lot of Pokémon, but a bunch of them are frail and have trouble setting up (Deoxys attack being an extreme example). Boomburst is just such an immensely powerful attack care must be taken with its distribution.

Edit: some others I've noticed:
Poliwrath gets a big buff to its physical STAB coverage, gaining Close Combat, Superpower, Drain Punch, and Liquidation, which is relevant because in gen 7 it doesn't get reliable Fighting moves on the physical side stronger than Brick Break or Low Sweep. Blissey finally gets Tri Attack (which was gen 1 TM before for Chansey) in combination with Serene Grace (gen 1 transfer was locked to Healer ability). Kingdra gets Hurricane, which is nice for rain teams. Tauros gets Close Combat. Meganium now gets Pollen Puff, which is an upgrade from the Heal Pulse it used before. Politoed now gets Ally Switch.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Honestly wouldn't make all that much sense if it did. Primarina is known for beautiful singing, not for destroying its opponents' eardrums with extreme sound. It may attack with sound, just not the type of sound that Boomburst uses.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Honestly wouldn't make all that much sense if it did. Primarina is known for beautiful singing, not for destroying its opponents' eardrums with extreme sound. It may attack with sound, just not the type of sound that Boomburst uses.

Depends on how you perceive it. Extremely, and continuous, high-pitch notes can as well be considered for Boomburst (Opera Singers). With your logic, Primarina shouldn't have learned Hyper Voice as well, then.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Don't forget Baton Pass on Latias, Latios, Magearna, Uxie, and Mesprit. Especially Uxie can potentially be a good passer of Nasty Plot or Amnesia. And I reckon Latias can pass Weakness Policy or Calm Mind well, while Magearna can pass Soul Heart and/or Shift Gear. Another notable one is Raikou getting Aura Sphere and Weather Ball back, which used to be event only, and it apparently also gets Scald. Lycanroc gets Play Rough and Close Combat. And yes, Primal Groudon with Heat Crash would be so broken (as if it wasn't already broken before)

I think it'd probably be a bit overpowered if it did. Primarina already has excellent special attack, solid special bulk, and a speed not ideal but slow enough for Trick Room. Pair it up with something like Jellicent to set up Trick Room (and heal from Boomburst) and you're looking at something that's very scary without Primarina needing to set up itself. Nasty Plot is available to a lot of Pokémon, but a bunch of them are frail and have trouble setting up (Deoxys attack being an extreme example). Boomburst is just such an immensely powerful attack care must be taken with its distribution.

Edit: some others I've noticed:
Poliwrath gets a big buff to its physical STAB coverage, gaining Close Combat, Superpower, Drain Punch, and Liquidation, which is relevant because in gen 7 it doesn't get reliable Fighting moves on the physical side stronger than Brick Break or Low Sweep. Blissey finally gets Tri Attack (which was gen 1 TM before for Chansey) in combination with Serene Grace (gen 1 transfer was locked to Healer ability). Kingdra gets Hurricane, which is nice for rain teams. Tauros gets Close Combat. Meganium now gets Pollen Puff, which is an upgrade from the Heal Pulse it used before. Politoed now gets Ally Switch.

Wow, Poliwrath is finally viable as a physical attacker with STAB! Yay! And wow, I didn't even look at Baton Pass, that is scary, especially Magearna. Hurricane Kingdra doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and honestly just makes Kingdra even more scary in the rain. Raikou getting Scald is super weird but I am here for it.

I also saw that Aggron gets Body Press, which is actually scary if you think about Mega Aggron using that thing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Depends on how you perceive it. Extremely, and continuous, high-pitch notes can as well be considered for Boomburst (Opera Singers). With your logic, Primarina shouldn't have learned Hyper Voice as well, then.

Boomburst is literally described as an explosive sound attack. Its Japanese name is Sound Wave Explosion. I feel like it's easier to say that Hyper Voice can just be a powerful voice, which Primarina can perform, but Boomburst has to be on a whole different level.

Meffi

Is it possible to unlock the pokedex entries from the new 35 Pokemons? I see it on the website that these Pokemon have a new Entrie for the SwSh but i cant find any information how to unlock them ingame.

Sorry for my bad english Im not a native speake :/

Kingudora

My favourite

There are a lot of pokémon in that list that are basically untouched, most notably the Gen IV-VI starters, along with a few Gen V and VI pokémon. These basically only got Endure/Swift, which seem to have become more or less universal in availability.

This makes me think that this is not a finalized list, that some pokémon only got the bare minimum of TM/TRs based on their old movepools and haven't been taken into consideration fully (yet) for new moves from SwSh.

There are also a few oddites in that list like Raikou with Scald, Fennekin with Fire Punch and Heatran losing Earth Power and Dragon Pulse, which I believe are mistakes.

And if this list doesn't get updated (other than for new pokémon/forms later), these pokémon that were untouched might be those that won't get added in the expansion packs.

With that said, here are some of my favorite move additions from that list:
  • Poliwrath finally getting Drain Punch, and now also swimming (heh) in movepool options like Close Combat, Darkest Lariat and Liquidation
  • Slowbro with Body Press sounds like it would be fun
  • Tauros getting Close Combat is a great boon for it
  • Dragon Dance Aerodactyl! No Brave Bird or other good Flying STAB move though..
  • Azumarill gets High Horsepower as a new coverage option other than Superpower and Ice Punch
  • Hurricane on Kingdra is definitely unexpected, but it does fit some of its pokédex entries.
  • Donphan gets some new fun moves like Power Whip and Body Press
  • Really excited that Raikou gets Aura Sphere outside events now
  • While I think it is fun that Sceptile got Dragon Dance, it still hasn't got any good special coverage moves.. (please let it have Earth Power, Venusaur finally got it)
  • Not exactly highly significant, but my favorite move addition is actually Swampert finally getting Bulk Up. It also got other fun moves like Body Press and Darkest Lariat.
  • Sharpedo with Close Combat?? I guess I shouldn't be that surprised after Barraskewda having it, but still
  • Power Whip on Cradily allows for a physical set for it, even if it would be somewhat straight-forward one
  • Groudon getting Heat Crash is already stupid, and would be utterly ludicrous on Primal Groudon. I guess we don't have to worry about that for the moment though
  • The Shinx line actually got some neat physical coverage options with Play Rough and Psychic Fangs
  • I was so glad to see that Magnezone got Body Press, it was one of my greatest hopes as far move additions go
  • Gliscor is going to love to smack pesky bulky Water mons with Power Whip, that otherwise give it trouble
  • I like that they finally threw Regigigas a bone by finally giving it Rest and Protect
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that Krookodile got Darkest Lariat and Close Combat, those are solid move options for it
  • Blaze Kick is no longer event exclusive for Genesect, and it also gets a solid STAB move with Leech Life. Fingers crossed it gets Shift Gear as a level-up move now too
  • Close Combat on Tyrantrum sounds fun, hopefully it can use it well
  • Xerneas gets Play Rough, which means it can go for a physical set
  • Similarly, Diancie can also go for a physical set now with Play Rough and Body Press

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I just realized that Unown has a major problem now that Hidden Power is gone in SwSh. Does that mean it literally cannot know any moves now? Will it get something new? What move(s) do you think it will get now since its entire battling gimmick is gone?

This is just me wishing, but I hope to see them create new moves, and maybe even new Abilities, for Unown, ones that can make them useful in various ways.

I've been wanting that ever since the Trading Card Game did just that, giving Unown different effects depending on the letter or punctuation mark they're based on. Some of them, like Unown Q and Unown E, became competitive deck staples!

London has a Spring-heeled jack and a Jack the Ripper? They must hate their Jacks.

Well, the're also Jack-in-the-Box and Beanstalk Jack. The former is fun, and the latter is a hero!

(The word "jack" used to mean what the word "man" means now.)

I've also noticed the following (as I tend to have my eye on Pokémon people don't usually put on teams):

Carbink gets Body Press, allowing it to do hefty damage.
Minior gets Cosmic Power, though I'm not sure on how helpful that is. Minior is still denied a special Flying-type move.
Nihilego gets Ally Switch and has the Speed to pull a fast one against a lot of Pokémon. Good for if it's paired with something with high Defense, as Nihilego is easy to exploit otherwise. Nihilego can also learn Foul Play to give it a physical option and a Dark-type option, and also Wonder Room to mess with people.
Alolan Raichu also gets Ally Switch and is even faster than Nihilego, especially if Surge Surfer is in effect.
Scolipede gets Baton Pass, allowing it to do the same Speed Boost Baton Pass strategy as Ninjask while having the physical bulk to withstand an attack.
Spiritomb gets Foul Play, allowing you to focus your EVs strictly on defense while still allowing it to hit hard, at least against the right opponents. Also gets Phantom Force to stall further.
Aurorus still doesn't get Power Gem despite having gems embedded in its sides.
Tauros gets Close Combat and High Horsepower, allowing ways to fight Rock and Steel types besides Earthquake.
Meganium gets Pollen Puff, letting it fully serve as a team medic. Grassy Terrain may help too.
Hariyama gets Heat Crash, the only Fighting-type to get this move and be able to to use it well other than its original user, Emboar.
Stakataka also gets Heat Crash, giving it a strong Fire-type option.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Minior gets Cosmic Power, though I'm not sure on how helpful that is. Minior is still denied a special Flying-type move.
Nihilego gets Ally Switch and has the Speed to pull a fast one against a lot of Pokémon. Good for if it's paired with something with high Defense, as Nihilego is easy to exploit otherwise. Nihilego can also learn Foul Play to give it a physical option and a Dark-type option, and also Wonder Room to mess with people.
Alolan Raichu also gets Ally Switch and is even faster than Nihilego, especially if Surge Surfer is in effect.
Scolipede gets Baton Pass, allowing it to do the same Speed Boost Baton Pass strategy as Ninjask while having the physical bulk to withstand an attack.
Spiritomb gets Foul Play, allowing you to focus your EVs strictly on defense while still allowing it to hit hard, at least against the right opponents.
These were all already available in Alola. Also, Ally Switch is a priority move, +2 priority, so aside from Fake Outs, Comfey's draining moves, and the occasional Extreme Speed it will always go first regardless of speed.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Ah, right, forgot that was a priority move. I also checked the moves on Bulbapedia and couldn't find them being available, though I had neglected to check their level-up moves.

I think I'm just too sleepy to think clearly.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Apparently Sword & Shield can’t allow you to nickname traded pokémon if they’re from another country. I tried with three international pokémon that don’t have nicknames: a Korean Eevee, a Japanese Cursola, & a Spanish Chewtle (the Chewtle even having its English name). However, when I tried renaming them, the name rather treated their regular names as nicknames -_-

Last edited:

Kingudora

My favourite
A little bit of trivia for anyone who wants it: I did some research regarding Endure and Protect availability, currently all pokémon who can learn Protect in SwSh also learn Endure.. except for Slowpoke and Galarian Slowpoke. Which is unusual, since Slowpoke have been able to learn it as TM/Move Tutor in the past.

I guess this was an oversight when they added Galarian Slowpoke in version 1.1.0.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Apparently Sword & Shield can’t allow you to nickname traded pokémon if they’re from another country. I tried with three international pokémon that don’t have nicknames: a Korean Eevee, a Japanese Cursola, & a Spanish Chewtle (the Chewtle even having its English name). However, when I tried renaming them, the name rather treated their regular names as nicknames -_-
Strange. Reminds me of the issue I ran into with Pokemon Home, it renames some Pokemon to their default names. I had a Charmander named Cole that I put up on the GTS for example, and it defaulted for no reason at all.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Strange. Reminds me of the issue I ran into with Pokemon Home, it renames some Pokemon to their default names. I had a Charmander named Cole that I put up on the GTS for example, and it defaulted for no reason at all.
My guess is that it's a safety measure to prevent potential curse words for other countries. I had a similar situation when I transferred a bunch of Pokémon with the OT "Tucker" through bank and for some reason they all got changed to "Kuro*"

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My guess is that it's a safety measure to prevent potential curse words for other countries. I had a similar situation when I transferred a bunch of Pokémon with the OT "Tucker" through bank and for some reason they all got changed to "Kuro*"
Strange. Might be. I've had some stay the same.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Hey Guys! I'm not entirely sure but the error for banning Pokemon online in Pokeballs not available in the base game appears to be fixed. My Toxicroak, which is in a Safari Ball, was able to battle online recently without any issues. This could be the same for other Pokemon in other unavailable Pokeballs in the base game and for trade too.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Hey Guys! I'm not entirely sure but the error for banning Pokemon online in Pokeballs not available in the base game appears to be fixed. My Toxicroak, which is in a Safari Ball, was able to battle online recently without any issues. This could be the same for other Pokemon in other unavailable Pokeballs in the base game and for trade too.
It must have to do with the update Home got that fixed several bugs. The Safari Ball is still a Pokeball and it wouldn’t make sense that the developers would program ever6 other Ball except the Safari into the games.