• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
But, that's already present. You can participate in 'Free Battle' in Battle Spot and have fun, try out your teams as much as you want without any stress or rating.

Does it, well that's good. Like I said, never really done them so not in the loop about it lol.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Those are more analogous to Trade evolutions, item evolutions, stone evolutions, etc.; different applications of the same core idea.

They're also largely anime-only. The Digimon games largely don't distinguish between them, and treat products of the different evolution methods as ordinary evolutions (within the Story series anyway). And even in the anime, Digimon is sort of the opposite; for the most part it tosses one gimmick aside for the next one every time.

Kinda my point. Digimon introduces new stuff and tosses it regularly. Or re-aranges to make things fit/work at a whim.

Pokemon has been unique for the last 20+ years by keeping stuff consistent. By allowing you to move things forward they needed to keep it all the more consistent.

They are finally saying, ok we need to stop. We can't move forward this way, we need to try this another way. And folks are loosing it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I don't usually like to compare Pokemon to Digimon since I feel like the two franchises are too different from each other. I do respect the latter for at least keeping things consistent however and not removing old features just for the sake of newer ones. Pokemon was also pretty good at keeping things consistent until recently, but it's been two decades since the franchise first started, so some change was to be expected. I just didn't think that Game Freak would decide that having players collect every single Pokemon shouldn't matter anymore given that collecting Pokemon was one of the core concepts of the franchise together with training and battling.

Chras

I've mentioned this before but it didn't get any attention. People are also forgetting the precedent this sets for Event Pokemon. What happens to them? And what is then the point of having collected all of those older rare events? Why give out that Shiny Tapu Fini when Sun and Moon is nearing its end, just so we possibly can't use it in the next game? There's no guarantee Zeraora will be in Sword/Shield. Or Marshadow. Legit rare events like the Shiny Arceus have no guarantee to make it to future games now either. Gamefreak acknowledged our Pokemon were timeless when they announced Home. I've got a legit Gen 3 Mimic Shedinja. Apparently that really rare Pokemon is no longer timeless because Gamefreak is determining what is timeless.

Then other baffling thing is people are suggesting to just send them to Home until the next game. Why? You realize that the only way out of Home is to Sword/Shield and otherwise they'll sit in Home until Gamefreak decides they're relevant again. That is not the way to treat this situation. Not to mention, from a competitive aspect, you wouldn't be able to change any Pokemon moves once they're in Home. If they care about the competitive, they can easily just lock out certain Pokemon from battling. They already do it.

And also, for those saying there are too many Pokemon for the game to handle, how do you know that's completely true? The 3DS has up to 807 Pokemon programmed. If the Switch is so much more powerful, you really think the games can't handle that kind of data?

I think laziness is the bigger culprit here. You can see that clearly just based on how the post game has been shrinking with each new game.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I've mentioned this before but it didn't get any attention. People are also forgetting the precedent this sets for Event Pokemon. What happens to them? And what is then the point of having collected all of those older rare events? Why give out that Shiny Tapu Fini when Sun and Moon is nearing its end, just so we possibly can't use it in the next game? There's no guarantee Zeraora will be in Sword/Shield. Or Marshadow. Legit rare events like the Shiny Arceus have no guarantee to make it to future games now either. Gamefreak acknowledged our Pokemon were timeless when they announced Home. I've got a legit Gen 3 Mimic Shedinja. Apparently that really rare Pokemon is no longer timeless because Gamefreak is determining what is timeless.

Then other baffling thing is people are suggesting to just send them to Home until the next game. Why? You realize that the only way out of Home is to Sword/Shield and otherwise they'll sit in Home until Gamefreak decides they're relevant again. That is not the way to treat this situation. Not to mention, from a competitive aspect, you wouldn't be able to change any Pokemon moves once they're in Home. If they care about the competitive, they can easily just lock out certain Pokemon from battling. They already do it.

And also, for those saying there are too many Pokemon for the game to handle, how do you know that's completely true? The 3DS has up to 807 Pokemon programmed. If the Switch is so much more powerful, you really think the games can't handle that kind of data?

I think laziness is the bigger culprit here. You can see that clearly just based on how the post game has been shrinking with each new game.
Two words: Pokémon Pass. It was something I noticed when I had it on my phone for a little bit... it mentioned about Pokémon events. So it looks like they're heading in that direction.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Two words: Pokémon Pass. It was something I noticed when I had it on my phone for a little bit... it mentioned about Pokémon events. So it looks like they're heading in that direction.
I really hope not. Pass is US only, worst case scenario would be going back to the old days of not getting events at all. Plus the odds of them releasing Pass on Windows mobile are like non-existent. Borrowing someone else's phone every time there's an event would be very inconvenient, and might not even work if they link Pass to a Home account on that same phone.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I really hope not. Pass is US only, worst case scenario would be going back to the old days of not getting events at all. Plus the odds of them releasing Pass on Windows mobile are like non-existent. Borrowing someone else's phone every time there's an event would be very inconvenient, and might not even work if they link Pass to a Home account on that same phone.
I agree with you on that, it's not a good move if they go in that direction. I'm in a similar boat for what it's worth, my phone can handle it... but not so much in terms of any updates, since it's tied to a phone's memory. It's not able to be moved to an sd card like Pokémon Go is. It'll be back to the old days when events only took place at larger stores in larger cities.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
And what is then the point of having collected all of those older rare events?

Valid point. That's why we should all stop playing games that don't carry progress forward to Future games.

Sorry Mario Bros. 2, if I can carry my score forward, my coin count, my lives, well.... Your just a terrible game developed by a lazy studio.

In all seriousness though, they haven't said they are deleting those. You've still collected, and there is a chance in another future game you may be able to bring them forward. I've said it before and I'll say it again, maybe a Pokemon Battle Revolution style game that is like 95% just about battling.

And even if they did announce something was being removed (which just throwing it out there, it prob be like comic deaths nothing stay gone for ever) then you still collected something in a game, and have the chance to store it somewhere not in the game.

Chras

Sorry, but what does Pokemon Pass have to do with previous event Pokemon being left behind? Pokemon Pass is just a new way to introduce Event Pokemon. My point was those Event Pokemon you acquire now have no guarantee of coming over to the next game. Pokemon Pass really doesn't seem like anything ground breaking. It seems like it just eliminates the need for physical card with codes. You still have to go to the event location for your code, unless of course they decide to do a wireless event.

I still say the solution is to just not send anything to Home that you aren't willing to have waiting there for the next games after Sword and Shield. If you really want to keep using a specific Pokemon that is currently in USUM but it isn't in Sword and Shield, just go back and play USUM when you start to miss them.

Home seems like it will be great for Go players, because it gives you an option for extra Pokemon beyond just transferring them. For example, I have like 10 Rayquaza in Go. I'd never transfer a legendary, but since it's a gen 3 species I can't send the extras to Let's Go. Home could be a safe place to send them to so they clear up room in Go without being erased from existence. They probably won't be able to go the rest of the way to Sword and Shield (though I will be very surprised if they don't include a handful of older legendaries in the dex) but having them in Home will probably be better than them staying trapped in Go.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Sorry, but what does Pokemon Pass have to do with previous event Pokemon being left behind? Pokemon Pass is just a new way to introduce Event Pokemon. My point was those Event Pokemon you acquire now have no guarantee of coming over to the next game. Pokemon Pass really doesn't seem like anything ground breaking. It seems like it just eliminates the need for physical card with codes. You still have to go to the event location for your code, unless of course they decide to do a wireless event.
Meaning if they exclude those from coming over. Not that they will though, hopefully. Basically similar to what you mentioned. Agreed there. And that isn't good for anyone who's phone isn't compatible, isn't big enough. So people in those two categories would be left in the dust. I'd prefer a wireless event from home. It would take out the whole Pokémon Pass debacle.

Chras

I still say the solution is to just not send anything to Home that you aren't willing to have waiting there for the next games after Sword and Shield. If you really want to keep using a specific Pokemon that is currently in USUM but it isn't in Sword and Shield, just go back and play USUM when you start to miss them.

And that's part of the issue now and not really a solution. All of those Pokemon are stuck in previous games because I definitely won't be sending them to Home to just sit there and collect dust. And again, to my point, they're stuck in those previous games until Gamefreak decides they're relevant And timeless again.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
According to the rumor which has been pretty accurate so far, Milo is the first and Nessa is the second. According to the same rumors you'd have to prove yourself to sponsors before you are allowed to challenge gyms probably explaining the higher levelled Pokemon.

So if that's the case, is there a gym in the steampunk city? And if there is, why are we skipping it?

ballinamon

Well for the good side (good side?) this means in-story there would be only regional legendaries, not magic djiin portals or dimentional travels.

Orphalesion

So if that's the case, is there a gym in the steampunk city? And if there is, why are we skipping it?

The rumour only said something along the lines of:

"The fourth Gym leader is Opal, the first fairy Pokemon gym (even though it's not the first) The first, second and third are Milo, Nessa and Kabu (mentioning their names as if we're supposed to know who the hell they are even though Nessa wasn't revealed yet and Kabu still isn't)"

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The rumour only said something along the lines of:

"The fourth Gym leader is Opal, the first fairy Pokemon gym (even though it's not the first) The first, second and third are Milo, Nessa and Kabu (mentioning their names as if we're supposed to know who the hell they are even though Nessa wasn't revealed yet and Kabu still isn't)"
So noly 4 gyms?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
And that's part of the issue now and not really a solution. All of those Pokemon are stuck in previous games because I definitely won't be sending them to Home to just sit there and collect dust. And again, to my point, they're stuck in those previous games until Gamefreak decides they're relevant And timeless again.

You act like that's some horrible thing and the older games are unplayable prisons. Folks are right, just go play that game again anytime you're missing your old pokemon.

Literally every other franchise ever does this, there will always be things that you have to play certain games to enjoy because not everything can move forward.

neo_senku

Why not just ask for a copy for Christmas? You get a fresh copy but don't spend your own money in the process.

To be honest, me getting it used is out of spite. I dont want them to get an additional sale because of me. GF has made some decisions the last few games that i don't agree with, primarily the lack of post game, and that the games themselves feel like they cater only to the most casual of players or competitive of players. Nothing really left if your in between those spectrum's in my opinion. The battle frontiers, the PWT, the Pokelethon, contests, the black tower/white tree, gym leader rematches, sinnoh underground. all those things kept me playing the games only stopping to play a new game temporarily til i beat it, then it would be back to pokemon. Since after XY this hasnt been the case. I loved the new pokemon, characters, mega evolution and z moves that gen 6 and 7 brought. but the post game has been lacking hard. I hoped that SwSh would be the begining of a return to form but with the removal of megas and z moves, replaced with dynamaxing and now the loss of being able to have all pokemon these seem like the least interesting yet and the ones i have the most issue with. Thus me buying it used.

Chras

You act like that's some horrible thing and the older games are unplayable prisons. Folks are right, just go play that game again anytime you're missing your old pokemon.

Literally every other franchise ever does this, there will always be things that you have to play certain games to enjoy because not everything can move forward.

They can move older Pokemon forward. They're deciding not to. Listen, I'm getting the new game because it will be good still. I'm just calling out their hypocrisy in this case and calling out the new precedent it sets. They said our Pokemon are timeless when in reality they're actually determining which ones are timeless which Pokemon aren't. Myself and way too many people on these forums have gone out of our way to obtain rare event Pokemon for everything to be brushed aside like this is definitely a jab to the gut. Perhaps maybe we weren't meant to trade with people to obtain these Pokemon. Should I bother going to Target for another event or driving out somewhere that's out of my way for Pokemon that'll just be left behind? This is actually an issue and one that may not even affect you or some thing you care about, but it is an issue. They acknowledged that people have had memories and how timeless our Pokemon are. Why do they have to be left behind? Sure, I'll just go play the previous games when the precedent was allowing us to continue our journey with our Pokemon in future games. All that time spent investing in breeding and shiny hunting being slapped down does suck.

And not only that, you know what happens to older games? They get phased out. When online services end for Sun and Moon, who will I be battling? Can you explain? Maybe it won't take that long for the next game to have those previous Pokemon, but then there's no guarantee and that is the new precedent they have set.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ballinamon said:
Well for the good side (good side?) this means in-story there would be only regional legendaries, not magic djiin portals or dimentional travels.

I'm not sure what was so bad about being able to capture many Legendaries from past generations in OR/AS and US/UM. I thought that was one of those games' better features, and while I wasn't really expecting that to happen in Shield and Sword anyway, it would've been a pretty nice bonus.