• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
In origins, Red is completing the regional dex which pretty much every game likes you to do and sort of nudges you in that direction. The same can't be said for national dex which really isn't mentioned much outside of a throwaway line in the game freak building.

In origins, Red is completing the only dex that is available - the kanto dex - as that anime is based on the original red version. It was also a marketing thing meant to introduce Mega evolution but they could have done that by letting charizard mega evolve against blue in the league. Instead, they chose to include an extra episode focused on completing the dex.

You don't have to complete the dex when you play a pokemon game, but all the games that have a national dex "like you to do it and sort of nudge you in that direction". Perhaps you don't remember this because the 7th gen games didn't have a National Dex, but every other game since B2W2 had one and completing it gave you the shiny charm.

I don't see how any game "nudges" you to complete the regional dex more than the national dex.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
In origins, Red is completing the only dex that is available - the kanto dex - as that anime is based on the original red version. It was also a marketing thing meant to introduce Mega evolution but they could have done that by letting charizard mega evolve against blue in the league. Instead, they chose to include an extra episode focused on completing the dex.

You don't have to complete the dex when you play a pokemon game, but all the games that have a national dex "like you to do it and sort of nudge you in that direction". Perhaps you don't remember this because the 7th gen games didn't have a National Dex, but every other game since B2W2 had one and completing it gave you the shiny charm.

I don't see how any game "nudges" you to complete the regional dex more than the national dex.

I'm aware, that was the goal of the first games though, Prof Oak literally assigns you to complete his pokedex, hence that episode.

All the professors pretty much give you the go meet as many pokemon as possible speech and even if it's indirectly, push for you to complete the regional dex by rewarding you and checking your progress.

The national dex on the other hand, isn't really mentioned much at all in most of the games until you complete it already.

Chras

But they are timeless, literally these pokemon have been with us for years. They aren't being deleted or wiped from memory or old games. you can still use every single one of your old pokemon in their games so they aren't useless or forgotten.

Unless people are like oh a new game *throws away or sells the old ones*, there's no effect on them. You can still breed and hunt shinies to your hearts content and then use them in said games until they can be brought over to the newer games if you so choose.

Seriously, you're trying to justify their decision and you know darn well that is not what makes our Pokemon timeless, just by going back to play with them in the previous games. If the point was to never bring them forward then there was no need for Pokemon Bank. Unbelievable that you're saying "Just wait for the next game". And If "Just wait for the next game" is two games from now, you seriously think that makes sense? I'm sorry, but you're completely wrong. People put in way too much time and effort into raising their Pokemon for to be left behind "until the next game".

Look, I don't want to come off totally unreasonable here. Like I said, I'm getting the game and it looks great still. But your way of justifying the decision is wrong without recognizing or at least caring about the impact it has on those who put the time and effort in.
But obviously from here, there is a new precedent that we have to adjust to and that's it.

Last edited:

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
I'm aware, that was the goal of the first games though, Prof Oak literally assigns you to complete his pokedex, hence that episode.

All the professors pretty much give you the go meet as many pokemon as possible speech and even if it's indirectly, push for you to complete the regional dex by rewarding you and checking your progress.

The national dex on the other hand, isn't really mentioned much at all in most of the games until you complete it already.

Again, there is no more of a reward for the regional dex than there is of the national dex. Up until B2W2 I believe there was no reward at all and then they added the Oval Charm for regional and Shiny Charm for national. I'm also not sure which game checks your progress only for the regional dex and not the national one. I could be wrong about this point but I was under the impression that they receive the same treatment in the games they are both present. As in, the professor checks your regional dex progress until you complete it and then checks your national dex progress. I believe you also get a certificate for both in all the games.

I mean this whole discussion doesn't really matter. I was just saying that completing the dex may not be the only goal of the games but it's certainly one of the main goals regardless of whether you wish to ignore it or not. Then you said the anime proves otherwise at which point I brought up origins, an anime based on the games. And then you said "that's only the regional dex, nobody cares about the national dex" which is why I'm replying that they receive the exact same treatment in all the games. Either way let's drop this, nothing of impact to SwSh is gonna come out of this.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Btw, even if you don't agree with the Dexit outrage or don't particularly care, there some funny memes and jokes on the reddit so I'm just pointing that out there in case people want a laugh :D

I appreciate it. And glad to see someone using the Brexit thing. Lol Dexit.

DannyDark

I suppose that makes more sense, although I could imagine several Legendaries showing up in the Wild Area, regardless. It's not out of the realm of possibility that some previous Legendaries would be drawn to the region from my perspective.

I agree, other Legendaries could definitely appear.
Trying to think which would fit the theme of the region though..

- Swords of Justice, fitting the strength/greatness theme.
- Mewtwo, same.
- Victini, same.

- Magearna, fits the industrial theme exceptionally well.

- Regi Trio + Gigas, no real reason, I just think they would be well suited to the region considering what we've seen.

But obviously, the inclusion of Mythicals outside of events would be something somewhat new.. but not entirely unbelievable.

USGamer quote regarding the region that I reference...

"It kind of ties in to the main scene we have for the game, which is this idea of being the strongest or the greatest. Being on the Nintendo Switch, I wanted to really challenge myself to create the greatest Pokemon experience yet using all the hardware power we didn't have before. I've been to the UK on trips, and I just get a kind of sense of strength and greatness from the region, you know, the home of the Industrial Revolution, and all these people trying to aim for greatness. We translated some of that feeling into the Galar Region."

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
I agree, other Legendaries could definitely appear.
Trying to think which would fit the theme of the region though..

- Swords of Justice, fitting the strength/greatness theme.
- Mewtwo, same.
- Victini, same.

- Magearna, fits the industrial theme exceptionally well.

- Regi Trio + Gigas, no real reason, I just think they would be well suited to the region considering what we've seen.

But obviously, the inclusion of Mythicals outside of events would be something somewhat new.. but not entirely unbelievable.

USGamer quote regarding the region that I reference...

"It kind of ties in to the main scene we have for the game, which is this idea of being the strongest or the greatest. Being on the Nintendo Switch, I wanted to really challenge myself to create the greatest Pokemon experience yet using all the hardware power we didn't have before. I've been to the UK on trips, and I just get a kind of sense of strength and greatness from the region, you know, the home of the Industrial Revolution, and all these people trying to aim for greatness. We translated some of that feeling into the Galar Region."

I would be surprised if Mewtwo is not in. Isn't the Mewtwo movie this summer? I'm sure they wouldn't want to miss out on the free promotion. Plus it's an extremely popular pokemon.

As for every other legendary I'm not sure. They don't exactly belong in Galar, but they are all very popular pokemon and also front and centre in the competitive meta so their absence would hurt the game. There is also the practical angle to consider. If GF didn't have enough time and had to cut out pokemon, I could see some of the legendaries getting cut if only to avoid coding in their gimmicks and extra forms like the genie trio or Kyurem. Also, maybe they don't want to have the weather trio or other legendaries which used to have Mega evolutions to avoid rubbing too much salt in the wound.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Again, there is no more of a reward for the regional dex than there is of the national dex. Up until B2W2 I believe there was no reward at all and then they added the Oval Charm for regional and Shiny Charm for national. I'm also not sure which game checks your progress only for the regional dex and not the national one. I could be wrong about this point but I was under the impression that they receive the same treatment in the games they are both present. As in, the professor checks your regional dex progress until you complete it and then checks your national dex progress. I believe you also get a certificate for both in all the games.

I mean this whole discussion doesn't really matter. I was just saying that completing the dex may not be the only goal of the games but it's certainly one of the main goals regardless of whether you wish to ignore it or not. Then you said the anime proves otherwise at which point I brought up origins, an anime based on the games. And then you said "that's only the regional dex, nobody cares about the national dex" which is why I'm replying that they receive the exact same treatment in all the games. Either way let's drop this, nothing of impact to SwSh is gonna come out of this.

Actually there is. In Kanto, you get items to help with your journey the more pokemon you get, in Alola, Kukui gives you the lucky egg and substitute and in Unova, the professor gives you False Swipe, Protect, and Hidden Power. So while it's not in every game, there has been some emphasis in if not completing the regional dex, at the very least getting far in it.

And by the anime and the games I meant the main anime which gotta catch them all really hasn't been apart of for awhile which is the main advertisement for the games.

Origins was really a one off thing which doesn't really serve much of a purpose other then to advertise gen 1.

Anyways, I kind of like it when the professors reward you for catching pokemon and filling the dex so I hope it returns in Galar.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
So is there a possibility that we get a new Eveeloution in Sword/Shield?

I don't know about an eeveelution but if I'm not mistaken there were some leaks that some old pokemon like farfetch'd are getting evolutions. I'm not sure if that has been debunked or not, but if it's true that SwSh do have crossgen evos then add that to the list of things I like about SwSh.

Akashin

In the sense that nobody whose word matters has said that we won't, sure. But nothing's said we will or that there's any particular reason to expect it, either.

I don't know about an eeveelution but if I'm not mistaken there were some leaks that some old pokemon like farfetch'd are getting evolutions. I'm not sure if that has been debunked or not, but if it's true that SwSh do have crossgen evos then add that to the list of things I like about SwSh.

All of that came from the same one that's been right so far. But the way it was described made it sound a bit iffy whether they're evolutions or Alola Form-esque changes; it mentions a clearly form changed Meowth in the same breath it mentions Sirfetch'd, so who knows.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
In the sense that nobody whose word matters has said that we won't, sure. But nothing's said we will or that there's any particular reason to expect it, either.

All of that came from the same one that's been right so far. But the way it was described made it sound a bit iffy whether they're evolutions or Alola Form-esque changes; it mentions a clearly form changed Meowth in the same breath it mentions Sirfetch'd, so who knows.

Well, alolan forms never had different names (even though some would have made more sense in english - Alolan Sandshrew should be Snowshrew xD) so if the name does end up being Sirfetch'd that sounds more like an evolution. And that would honestly be refreshing. Other than Sylveon which I don't really count because it was an eeveelution specifically designed to promote the addition of the fairy type to the games, we haven't really gotten any crossgens since gen 4. Overshadowing/Replacing crossgen evos is the one downside of Mega evolutions for me. But I still want ME back too :(

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
you know... despite the fact that people are willing to spend money on the poorly produced game is baffling to me.
It all reminds me of Transformer cinematic universe.
like now most critics and people hated this film series ( at least after 1st one)
and it was a deeply flawed film. However Michael bay didn't care.
He didn't care what fans think or so called critics thought about his film
He once said that "let them hate my film- they will watch and pay for it anyways" and until Transformer 5 his film made billions of dollars.

Pokemon is going the same way. It doesn't matter how much people like me shine a light on the deeply flawed issue. There will always be people who will just flock to play this game. GF will make millions of dollars and GF will have the same attitude as Michael Bay- who gives the crap about naysayers! I only care about money!
After this GF will produce less then stellar games and people will just buy it- like how people came to watch Transformer movie despite its flaws

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
you know... despite the fact that people are willing to spend money on the poorly produced game is baffling to me.
like now most critics and people hated this film series ( at least after 1st one)
He once said that "let them hate my film- they will watch and pay for it anyways" and until Transformer 5 his film made billions of dollars.

Pokemon is going the same way. It doesn't matter how much people like me shine a light on the deeply flawed issue. There will always be people who will just flock to play this game. GF will make millions of dollars and GF will have the same attitude as Michael Bay- who gives the crap about naysayers! I only care about money!
After this GF will produce less then stellar games and people will just buy it- like how people came to watch Transformer movie despite its flaws

The number one goal for either industry is for the project to be entertaining. If it's entertaining, then the job was done.

Flaws aside, there are plenty of video games that exceed entertainment expectations. Hell, the entire first generation of Pokémon was terribly done and filled with screw ups, glitches and broken mechanics. And it sold 60 million copies.

People are willing to forgive a video game's flaws if they are still able to have fun. If the flaws impact your ability to have fun, then they are naturally unforgivable. That's how it works.

You have to decide for yourself whether or not the game is worth the flaws. Everyone else will do the same.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
The number one goal for either industry is for the project to be entertaining. If it's entertaining, then the job was done.

Flaws aside, there are plenty of video games that exceed entertainment expectations. Hell, the entire first generation of Pokémon was terribly done and filled with screw ups, glitches and broken mechanics. And it sold 60 million copies.

People are willing to forgive a video game's flaws if they are still able to have fun. If the flaws impact your ability to have fun, then they are naturally unforgivable. That's how it works.

You have to decide for yourself whether or not the game is worth the flaws. Everyone else will do the same.
The reason is inexcusable and explanation given by creators sound like nothing but excuses... a weak one at that. What kind of game in 2010's deletes a characters because of so-called hard ware linits? Especially pokemon which is bread and butter for pokemon franchise.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

And these are the over reactions I was referring to. One feature is taken out of a game and suddenly pokemon producers are EA and only make terrible games. Please cut the dramatics, it's not getting anyone to see your point of view. Sword and Shield look like amazing games to a lot of people including me and there are people who play the games for the overall experience, not just having all your pokemon with you at all times.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
One feature that is heart and core of the game! For Zelda it is adventuring and for pokemon it is collecting and using pokemon. They said they are getting rid of it and you are clapping to GF? Just... wow

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nodqfan said:

I know that that evolutionary family is incredibly popular, but at this point I'm really sick of them. The amount of attention that Eievui (Eevee) gets in general is ridiculous, and I'm not looking forward to the hype that would surround a new member of its evolutionary family being introduced in Gen VIII.