• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
TLDW
Ohmori says that the kind & caring people would likely choose Sobble.
If Sobble goes into water. It turns transparent & disappears.
Game Freak had a new style of designing pokemon for gen 8.
A visual designer & a gameplay planner formed teams to come up ideas for pokemon.
Sobble was created by 2 female designers.
Game Freak was unsure if Sobble was going to be popular outside of Japan due to it's sadness.
James Turner likes Sobble's evolutions a lot.
A reason for how the starters are connected to Galar's theme will be shown when you play the game.
Game Freak says that they've never had starters with such different personalities before.
The transparency and disappearing of Sobble makes think that there's something to the possible ghost typing.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I love how they acknowledge the appeal of loving something you can’t help but feel sorry for.

I’m really loving these starters. First trio I’ve enjoyed all of since Sinnoh’s

So any bets when we will get Starter evos?
Probably towards the end of October

I'm a kind and caring person (I think) and I cry a lot and am sad a lot, and I love Sobble. But I'm still going Scorbunny.

Opposites attract...?
I’m in the exact same situation. Sobble is adorable but I’m still loyal to Scorbunny

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
I guess I’m going to have to watch all the Game Informer vids together to finally decide lol

Although, pretty much every (if not certainly every) time I’ve had to pick a Starter I struggled between at least two and was unsure, but the first one I love when seeing them is usually the right one, and after watching Sobble’s spotlight I’m reminded why I love it so much and why it was my favorite from the get-go. Hm.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
So you sat there for the full 24 hours watching a mostly still frame with a short sound loop and enjoyed every single second of it?
I watched for 16+ and loved every second of it. Don’t be antagonistic because I’m not angry.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Let's keep any trolling out of this. Thanks.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does any1 have any suggestions to the starters final types based on their perosnality videos?
I’m guessing Grookey will become a rock musician (most likely a drummer) to reflect either punk rock or Liverpool bands like the Beatles, or it’ll become a cheerleader with a baton/spirit stick to go with the sports themes.

I know everyone wants the starters’ evolved forms revealed next, but I’m kind of hoping the next Game Informer video will be an interview with James Turner either talking about the other revealed Galar pokémon, or going more in depth on designing the Pokémon & the games as a whole

Last edited:

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
I agree. Sinnoh was the last time that I loved all the starters so much that it was hard to decide which one to choose (a trend that I had since Kanto, Johto and Hoen).

The starters from Unova were really disappointing for me (and still are) and the ones from Kalos as well, Alola was a mixed bag because the first evolutions are cute but they don't look so good together as a group and the evos are not exactly my favorites either

I'm really happy that they apparently found that balance with the starters again. I hope that they are able to retain that balance with the evolutions as well.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I've always been a defensive player, so this works well for me.

I don't have to trade to get the walls and stallers I want.

I prefer the emphasis of defense in Shield as well. Trades have usually been pretty easy at least in my experience (don’t know about the trading situation in these games for online though), but I understand why people wouldn’t want to do that and prefer to find the Pokémon in their own game.

Brendan017

I love how they acknowledge the appeal of loving something you can’t help but feel sorry for.

Probably towards the end of October

I’m in the exact same situation. Sobble is adorable but I’m still loyal to Scorbunny

It seems like this is a common thing in japan. The japanese words for "poor thing" (kawaiso) and "cute" (kawaii) are very similar as well.

axelme

I cant be the only one ponyta isnt a fairy or at least psychic/fairy. Given its appearance that doesnt really make sense but whatever.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Remind me. Have past version exclusives always had official "counterparts"?

I don't know if they were referred to as such but absolutely.

Alolan Vulpix Line - Alolan Sandshrew Line
Oddish Line - Bellsprout Line
Mantine - Skarmory
Lunatone - Solrock
Sableye - Mawile
Glameow Line - Stunky Line
Gothita Line - Solosis Line
Skrelp Line - Clauncher Line
Buzzwole - Pheromosa

Ultra Beast Lover

The only thing I don't like about this information about the starters is that we aren't really going to see it much in game aside from an opening cutscene. Unless of course there's a sidequest involving the starter

sketchersmeargle

So you sat there for the full 24 hours watching a mostly still frame with a short sound loop and enjoyed every single second of it?
I started watching at 9 am, had it playing through the day watching it and ended up falling asleep at 2:30 am.

Sure not much happened, but I thought it was exciting listening to it and waiting for what would happen next.

Each their own.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The only thing I don't like about this information about the starters is that we aren't really going to see it much in game aside from an opening cutscene. Unless of course there's a sidequest involving the starter
What do u mean that we won't get to see them in game?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Does any1 have any suggestions to the starters final types based on their perosnality videos?

In Sobble's video, Ohmori states all starters make sense as to why they are native to Galar. We know Scorbunny represents soccer player or athlete, Grookey music culture and Sobble (Spoiler).

Grass/Rock, Fire/Electric and Water/Ghost fit to these scenarios. But, Game Freak can surprise you with another Galarian Ponyta situation.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m kind of optimistic the starters will get more focus as USUM had that one scene before you took on the league where your starter jumped out of its Pokèball to reflect on your journey together & LGPE had the starters have little cutscenes like a scene similar to USUM where you stand outside the Pokèmon League , the premise of partner moves, and that one infiltration of TR’s base where you could directly control your Pokémon.