• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
I may be in the minority but I prefer physical copies, the exception for me are those games that are not available in that format (like Batman, the Enemy Within) or if I get a really really sweet deal for buying online. I already pre-ordered Pokemon Sword at Pokemon Center, but I have the feeling that I won't get it on release date, sadly. I'd be happy to be proved wrong...

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I actually like getting physical copies too, since I dont have to deal with memory space quite as much. I would've gotten a physical copy of this due to its large filesize, as I have done with Pokémon games in the past, but I had one remaining voucher and it only works on buying games digitally (as the vouchers themselves are digital).

ShikabaneHime13

I actually like getting physical copies too, since I dont have to deal with memory space quite as much. I would've gotten a physical copy of this due to its large filesize, as I have done with Pokémon games in the past, but I had one remaining voucher and it only works on buying games digitally (as the vouchers themselves are digital).

I’m a near total “physical-only” gamer with exception to a digital-only title of something I’m really interested in or I’m impatient for my copy of a game to arrive (did this with YW4).

In this case, I’m still intending to get physical versions of both games from each region (my collector’s mentality coming into play lol) and will go to the midnight launch in NY at the Nintendo Store. I’m gonna be in the line as early as 5:30am that Thursday, so... I preloaded a copy of Sword from the Japanese eshop. Japan is 14 hours ahead and I’m gonna have plenty of time to kill being in line, so...

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The Alola games gave you a Cosmog--not only did it allow you to register Cosmog and Cosmoem into the Pokédex, but it allowed you to get a second Solgaleo or Lunala, depending on your game. You didn't need to have an event, and it was quite popular to trade Solgaleo for Lunala and vice versa because you could legitimately get a second one. I did it twice, once for Sun and again for Ultra Moon, and I didn't have a problem.

I would never know if the Lunala I would receive would be hacked in advance of the trade, and if it were to be so, I'd be out of a Solgaleo I'd never be getting back. There's also the issue of said Lunala still being unusable competitively because you can't change natures. I tried this with trading Blacephalon for Stakataka, and my offer for a trade of it was on this forum for months without response. If "quite popular" means it takes months to get a trade, I'm going to pass. And then when I finally got a response, the guy insisted on trading over GTS, presumably so I couldn't see in advance that it was a clear hack or the wrong nature because you can't see summaries on GTS (why is this not a thing?).

I played through Ultra Sun twice so I could get the Wormhole legendary version exclusives twice for trading purposes, and posted the trading offers on this forum. I never received a single response to even a single one of the offers, and eventually took them down in favour of 2018 Legends events when those were happening.

Version exclusive legendaries are an atrocity and the concept should be burned forever.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The game is only 10.3 GB, not 30.

I think I remember reading a story/rumor it'd be 30GB. But I'm glad it's 10 since it'll less time to download.

I was thinking it was less than 30 when I woke up today and it was fairly advanced into downloading.

Preloading for NA is supposed to be up now ( There was a reddit post that I can't link at this time and according to gonintendo). I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work :)

As soon as I saw the confirmation in the main page, I stopped everything I was doing just to purchase and download it.

Good thing I still had some coins from purchasing LGP and Smash Ultimate, since it gave me a 7+ bucks of discount.

axelme

there has been alot of bitching and complaining about these games. (yes, i know i've done my shair). but honestly the lack of info at this point just doesnt btoher me anymore. i dont even care if there's a datamine or not. its 2 weeks away. as long as this next 2 weeks doesnt just drag by it'll be fine. this game dos get released 2 days after my birthday though and i hate birthdays so that part of me is hoping not to be disappointed .when they finally come out. it gives me something to look forward to that week

ultimately i just care about the pokemon. i want a good amount of new pokemon. if there's hat i'll be happy

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Almost one-hundred percent positive the next trailer will drop on November 6th Wed. to reveal either starter evolutions, Impidimp, or a general look at Galar before ending the pre-release cycle.

DSDark

Breeder
Almost one-hundred percent positive the next trailer will drop on November 6th Wed. to reveal either starter evolutions, Impidimp, or a general look at Galar before ending the pre-release cycle.

I think we are more likely to get the next bit of information in a nintendo direct either on wednesday or the following wednesday, two days before release.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It's so it's there to play without having to wait for it to go up then buy it and download. It's more of a convenience thing.
I mean I get that but don't see why they don't hold off till Day 1. I can see it being an issue for a lot of people like taking up space or them needing the funds later on for other stuff. I guess the space thing is more of a Switch thing since the other systems have like 500 to 1 tb. I mean if it works for others that is cool but for me a 10gb downloads in like 10 minutes.
By its very nature, Switch games that are playable docked cannot require the touchscreen, as the dock will cover the entirety of the screen (and it would be blank anyway).

That being said, a game could always provide the option for both touchscreen and button controls, like with Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, a game that was built with touch screen in mind. Same goes for Muse Dash, a mobile game ported to the Switch.

If anything the people who want to show off are going to do so even more, because now there will be fewer people doing so. (They're making a mistake. There are lots of people using Nintendo Switch Online, if the big success of Tetris 99 is any indication.)

You could definitely ask for one. I don't know how they do it, but I see it all the time on the GTS.

It's one of those "This is why we can't have nice things" problems combined with "A few bad apples spoil the bunch." It's nothing life-threatening like the Takata air bags or even physically harmful like the PSP shooting discs, but it's one of those things that can ruin the experience for other people since playing with other people is a major part of Pokémon.

When Mario Kart DS came out, you could draw your own profile picture, and it would be displayed to everyone. I loved that. It's just like the avatar system here. But predictably, a minority of people decided they wanted to feel edgy and upsetting and drew pictures of genitals, write swear words, depict gory violence, draw offensive symbols and gestures, etc., and unsurprisingly, the Mario Kart games never had that feature again.

The Alola games gave you a Cosmog--not only did it allow you to register Cosmog and Cosmoem into the Pokédex, but it allowed you to get a second Solgaleo or Lunala, depending on your game. You didn't need to have an event, and it was quite popular to trade Solgaleo for Lunala and vice versa because you could legitimately get a second one. I did it twice, once for Sun and again for Ultra Moon, and I didn't have a problem.

For that matter, I do Wonder Trades a lot. Like, as in hundreds of them for each main series Pokémon game I play. When something is hacked, it's pretty obvious that it is, and I'd say the odds of getting a hacked Pokémon over Wonder Trades is under 5%.

I seldom get any hacked Pokémon. I don't think I'm lucky; I think you're unlucky. The real negative factor to the hacked Pokémon, though, is that it encourages kids to offer their Rattatas and Magikarps and such and ask for Mewtwo and Rayquaza. The hackers will actually fulfill those trades, and it makes the kids think that is normal.

From the perspective of a westerner, yes. In urban Japan, though, where Game Freak is located, the majority of trading actually happens in person, as Pokémon is such a cultural cornerstone there that it's not hard to wander around the streets and find someone else who has a Pokémon game and would like to trade/battle/etc. It's ethnocentrism, but it's something they probably don't even fully realize.

Then again, ethnocentrism is usually something people don't realize. A European who thinks it's a short trip from Dallas to Houston just because they're both in Texas isn't necessarily stupid; they just never gave thought to the differences in scale in the land size. Same with Game Freak. Most people in Game Freak have never stepped foot outside of Japan, and of those that do, most probably have no idea how people play Pokémon in other parts of the world. I would bet you that most of them think non-Japanese trade and battle in person because that's how they do it in Japan--and that most people in Japan think that too (no matter how much folks like James Turner and Lee HyunJung say otherwise).

It's surprisingly painless. I checked on my Switch after about an hour, and it's done.

For something like Pokémon, it's to avoid the server issues that happen every time a new main series game comes out, especially the first of a generation. If the servers don't outright crash like they did with X and Y, it's slowed down tremendously as it's trying to communicate with too many systems at once like with Let's Go!.

Initially, I had intended to wait a couple of days to pre-load it, when fewer people are doing so. It's just like how I'll wait a couple of weeks before watching Frozen 2 because the theaters are going to be way too packed and full of loud children. But as it turns out, the download began immediately after I redeemed my voucher, so, well, here I am.

I never ran into that issue with games BUT I do remember it happening when surfing the PSN for seeing what to add to a wishlist. Maybe I'm just lucky.
As for Frozen just go during the day but than again I have gone for kid movies here in LA and it is never busy. Saw Spiderman,Endgame and D.Pikachu and I either have the place to myself or it is only a few people. Now maybe it is due to being in LA and we have tons of places but at the same time I would think it would still be busy Day 1 here. Again maybe my luck for this stuff is just good I'm getting scared

pikamilk

I have a dumb question... did some googling but didn't find the answer. So if I buy the game now, download it, when can I exactly play it? Midnight in my timezone or...?

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I know having Quick Balls early in the game would be a dope thing to have, but I'm not sure if I really want 'em.

I might give away my code later down the line, if anyone wants it.

I have a dumb question... did some googling but didn't find the answer. So if I buy the game now, download it, when can I exactly play it? Midnight in my timezone or...?

I believe it is indeed midnight your time zone.

I know back in my hometown of Chicago, I always had to wait until midnight to start playing.

DSDark

Breeder
I know having Quick Balls early in the game would be a dope thing to have, but I'm not sure if I really want 'em.

I might give away my code later down the line, if anyone wants it.

I believe it is indeed midnight your time zone.

I know back in my hometown of Chicago, I always had to wait until midnight to start playing.

Quick balls could prove to be very useful in SwSh. Since the wild area will have pokemon at level much higher then normal, a quick ball could catch something you won't normally be able too, if you want to play that way.

Julia Artemis

I would agree but unfortunately no other doesn't work that way. Pokemon with significantly higher levels in the Wild Area won't allow you to throw a ball at it so you can't catch it. I mean still Quick Balls will be helpful but not as much as you're expecting

DannyDark

I would agree but unfortunately no other doesn't work that way. Pokemon with significantly higher levels in the Wild Area won't allow you to throw a ball at it so you can't catch it. I mean still Quick Balls will be helpful but not as much as you're expecting

Where did you read that significantly higher-leveled Pokemon in the wild area are uncatchable? Unless you meant they'll just be harder due to being unable to lower their health?

pikamilk

I mean, we could all just download from the Japanese/HK eShop too haha.
Oh if you do download it from the JPN eShop - the way HK eShop works is quite... silly. You have to purchase the game on the website, then you get the code (sent to your email), then you go to eShop on your device, enter the code and only then you will be able to start downloading the game.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Where did you read that significantly higher-leveled Pokemon in the wild area are uncatchable? Unless you meant they'll just be harder due to being unable to lower their health?

On the official website.
If I'm not mistaken, it was also demonstrated during the E3 treehouse presentation.

I'd like to think that these Wild Area Pokemon are locked behind gym badges.