• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

BCVM22

“I’m embarrassed to go in because people will see me scanning a QR code” was a very real complaint posted in these very forums and probably in this very subforum. It was obviously long before the pandemic began. I don’t remember who it was nor would I want to shame whomever it was if I did, because I think the concern was real on their part even if the reasoning was suspect, but I assure you I did not invent it whole cloth, largely because it would never occur to me to do so.

That aside, I said distinctly that obviously going in to a store for a frivolity like a Pokémon event is a non starter right now and Copperajah was rightfully cancelled as a result.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
All things said, the only good thing about that event was that its speed was No Good- perfect for trick room teams.

But besides that, that event had little to no value. Their were multiple wild area events that made G-Max Copperajah easy to get, and the DLC adds Max Soup to create your own G-Copperajah. Cancelled for whatever reason, it's no loss and I've seen no disappointment.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I do remember when a lot of people wouldn't go into a store for an event in the Gen V days because they were afraid of being judged or something. Don't feel that way around people you will likely never meet again!

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I remember getting bullied for going to the midnight release for Skyrim.

It didn't really bug me, but I get what people are saying when they don't wanna go through that.

BCVM22

I understand not wanting to go to the midnight release of a game (outside of the pandemic context, obviously). That’s a lot of people to potentially have to interact with.

I understand some trepidation for the serial code card events, where you do have to ask a person for a Pokémon serial code card. Though with that said, the cashier or department employee at GameStop or Target or Wal-Mart is just trying to get through another day of their job and likely deals with people far less reasonable than someone asking politely for a serial code card off the pile, so weight accordingly what you’re concerned with what they might think.

Neither of these is the case for taking out your phone, opening an app, and scanning a QR code off a poster or a flyer or a display. No human interaction of any sort is required.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, I'd never go to a midnight release not because of shame but for fear of walking around at that time of the night. Specially with a fancy like a game.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I've definitely had cases of GameStop employees being very opinionated on particular companies and franchises, however (and treating female guests differently than male guests, though whether that's better treatment or worse treatment was on a case-by-case basis). Hasn't happened in quite a while though. The bigger issue now for GameStop events for me are the locations where they have a stack of those cards and someone goes and takes them all, or when people camp in front of GameStop over the night to get them, which I'm guessing are issues Pokémon Pass was designed to address.

Orphalesion

I just think they should just put the mythicals in the game and then a patch is released that permanently unlocks the area they are catchable in. That would be my preferred version of things.
And no I'm not embarrassed to ask an employee for a code or walk into a store to scan a code, I'm just lazy and I don't wanna go to a store for the sole reason of getting a single Pokemon.

BCVM22

They did that in Diamond and Pearl. The event Pokémon were immediately hacked and disseminated widely and unduly, and as such the course of those Pokémon was changed dramatically and they were distributed as gifts, where their authenticity could be proven with the proper ribbon and Ball, instead of as key items to unlock the areas where they could be captured.

Food for thought.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I've only been to GTA V, RDR 2, and SWSH's midnight releases.
I almost went to XY's since it came out on my birthday but I decided to just sleep in and enjoy the day instead

I just think they should just put the mythicals in the game and then a patch is released that permanently unlocks the area they are catchable in. That would be my preferred version of things.
And no I'm not embarrassed to ask an employee for a code or walk into a store to scan a code, I'm just lazy and I don't wanna go to a store for the sole reason of getting a single Pokemon.

They should, it's sad the last mythical you could actually catch was Victini(Well there is Deoxys but that wasn't an event)
I liked being able to catch things, now nothing's really stopping you from getting a level 50-100 mythical creature as soon as you boot up the game!

Since Zarude was stated to come with the Armor DLC, I actually hoped there would be some forested area where you could find and catch one but nah. Still the same

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Who do you think Melony's husband is?

NeedsAName

Who do you think Melony's husband is?

He’s not in the games. If he was then he’d just be a nameless NPC that wouldn’t do much other than possibly giving you a TM or TR or other item and just some throw away dialogue saying who he is.

If we were still getting Þird versions (like Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum), Þere would probably be a lot of fans making Þeories Þat he's gonna be the sixÞ gym leader in Þe Þird version and will probably have a Steel-type gym.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Sat down and spent 100k watts on both Digging Brothers.

I'm not short of evolution stones, and I have many treasures for cramming together to get more valuable items.

Orphalesion

They did that in Diamond and Pearl. The event Pokémon were immediately hacked and disseminated widely and unduly, and as such the course of those Pokémon was changed dramatically and they were distributed as gifts, where their authenticity could be proven with the proper ribbon and Ball, instead of as key items to unlock the areas where they could be captured.

And because some people hack, everybody should be punished? That's ridiculous.

Also the mythicals of Gen 8 proove that by now GF can just patch Pokemon in as a whole, that should make it more difficult to hack them.
I still think having them patched into the game and giving us the opportunity to catch them would be worlds better than those events and just getting them as presents.

Last edited:

BCVM22

And because some people hack, everybody should be punished? That's ridiculous.

Yes, that’s sometimes how it works. Certainly not as if they have the ability to see who was doing that, and who was behaving themselves. It is unfortunate when consequences for the actions of some are visited on the many, isn’t it?

Also the mythicals of Gen 8 proove that by now GF can just patch Pokemon in as a whole, that should make it more difficult to hack them.

This is contradictory. They are patched in because it is definitely not more difficult to hack them. Why exactly do you think they chose to start omitting the Pokémon from the base game and later patching it in to a purpose-left empty slot? Within hours of a game or DLC releasing, we have people decompiling the code and telling us what lies within. I think the best people are doing it out of desire for knowledge and not malice or cheating, but still.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
He’s not in the games. If he was then he’d just be a nameless NPC that wouldn’t do much other than possibly giving you a TM or TR or other item and just some throw away dialogue saying who he is.
You know, there is something known as theorizing. Like maybe it's Ball Guy, since we do never find out who he is behind the mask.

Orphalesion

Yes, that’s sometimes how it works. Certainly not as if they have the ability to see who was doing that, and who was behaving themselves. It is unfortunate when consequences for the actions of some are visited on the many, isn’t it?

You are not teaching me anything new here, I know this happens in many video games. I just don't agree with GF's way of handling this and think they shouldn't punish their honest customers for the actions of a few.

Yes
This is contradictory. They are patched in because it is definitely not more difficult to hack them. Why exactly do you think they chose to start omitting the Pokémon from the base game and later patching it in to a purpose-left empty slot? Within hours of a game or DLC releasing, we have people decompiling the code and telling us what lies within. I think the best people are doing it out of desire for knowledge and not malice or cheating, but still.

No, you just don't get what I was saying. Now that they leave the empty slots and patch in the Pokemon later the danger of people hacking the Pokemon before they are patched in is more is less prevalent.
Like imagine they are releasing a free DLC/Patch that's literally just a small area where you can catch Zarude (and the data of Zarude is added in this patch). It's accessible via Corviknight taxi at any point in the story. Since Zarude's data is added in this patch, and it's catchable as soon as you download the patch, there is no way for anybody to get it "too early". Sure people might still hack them, but at that point it would not be different than any other hacked Pokemon.

With this possibility in place, I feel adding the Pokemon to the game via patches and allowing us to catch them would be preferable to shaving them at us as presents. (It's "Catch 'em all!" not "Getting 'em all as gifts")

Again you are not telling me anything new here, I'm one of the people who actively waits for the datamine with each new Pokemon generation.