• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Kage-Pikachu

Confirmed information about the 2019 Switch game:
Will include "many" new Pokemon
Will have better graphics than any Pokemon game released up til now
Will be directed at experienced players
Will be a core entry to the series
Will be released in the second half of 2019

And of course we'll have plenty of "leaks" from "credible" sources up until the release. But at least that gives us room for discussion.

-------------------

Mod Edit: Let's keep 4chan links out of it.

Please don't link to stuff by them. It only serves to give them that attention. Let's not give them the satisfaction. Thank you.

I know you guys are bored, but it's not worth discussing fake mon.

---------------------

Mod Edit: I have a thread set up for talking about rumors and speculation, in order to keep this and other threads clear of it.

Rumors/Speculation in terms of Sword and Shield

Mod Edit: No sharing images of Sword and Shield leaks. Sharing leaked images will not be permitted. Failure to acknowledge this rule can result in your account being infracted or possibly banned. Thank you for your cooperation everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm not thinking that this is a traditional new generation. I'm thinking that something will happen to shake up the formula.

Kage-Pikachu

Hopefully, lol, they say they want us to go "this is the game I've been waiting for"

Time will tell if they accomplish their goal.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Confirmed information about the 2019 Switch game:
Will include "many" new Pokemon

I'm guessing no more than about 85. I'd be surprised if we got up to 100 this time.

Will have better graphics than any Pokemon game released up til now

I'm certain this will be the case. I know a lot of people are tripping over Let's GO, but they forget the game is intentionally designed that way for the sake of nostalgia. I'm genuinely excited to see what the 2019 title will look like.

Will be directed at experienced players

This phrase is a bit subjective, but I'm sure they mean folks who've been playing for years. Also, something tells me this game might cater a bit more towards competitive players. I'm fine with that, 'cause it still means we get a good solid game. I just hope there's some decent post-game content. They've been lacking lately.

Will be a core entry to the series

F**KIN' A!

And of course we'll have plenty of "leaks" from "credible" sources up until the release.

Up until now, the only leaks I could ever trust were the Chinese Leaks, which were at least 75% correct. Even then, though, I think I'm going to hold my breath for this one. Game Freak finally figured out how to split up rosters without it leaking, which means it's actually likely Gen 8's roster will be split in half, with the first two games getting the first wave of pokemon, and the third games getting the second wave. I'd totally be down for that, honestly. I was impressed to see new pokemon in USUM. It was the best thing about that awful game.

Kage-Pikachu

Up until now, the only leaks I could ever trust were the Chinese Leaks, which were at least 75% correct. Even then, though, I think I'm going to hold my breath for this one. Game Freak finally figured out how to split up rosters without it leaking, which means it's actually likely Gen 8's roster will be split in half, with the first two games getting the first wave of pokemon, and the third games getting the second wave. I'd totally be down for that, honestly. I was impressed to see new pokemon in USUM. It was the best thing about that awful game.
I really liked a lot of the designs in Sun and Moon so I hope that trend continues and we receive more creative and appealing designs in the future.

I usually only read "leaks" for entertainment and don't take them seriously unless they're from official sources.

I seriously hope the the new region isn't based on Spain or Italy though...Nothing against them but I'd prefer more Japan or Greece.

Kage-Pikachu

I like that for a fighting game but I'm still hoping for Dragon Ball FighterZ-like graphics, I love how much that game resembles the anime.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'm more glad that this is its own thread finally, than being glad for Gen 8.

Orphalesion

I still think it was really re-assuring that they confirmed it at the same time as they announced LGPR. It's just such a bother we'll still have to wait for so long to get any news on it.

Kage-Pikachu

True, they never release details about a new game until long after the previous game has hit the market... Probably got a whole year til we get so much as a name...

Akashin

True, they never release details about a new game until long after the previous game has hit the market... Probably got a whole year til we get so much as a name...

Nah, we'll probably start getting the usual slow warm-up (by which I mean we'll get teased with small bits of info until they hit the ground running with information in the Spring, like we did with XY and SM) for them within the first two to three months next year. They waited longer to announce USUM and LGPE because there's less to say about them between announcement and release, but with a new Generation they'll probably go for the same longer pre-release they've done in the past.

Orphalesion

I think they'll start the Prerelease with the release of LGPE and the reveal of that mystery Pokemon, which might be the first Gen 8 mon.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Glad there's a new section to discuss these games.

I'd predict Let's Go will be the main focus for marketing in 2018. After its release they'll shift focus to Generation 8 games with an announcement within the first half of 2019 and release in the second half, probably autumn.

Last edited:

Kage-Pikachu

Makes me wonder how the Switch will affect future games. Will they continue like X and Y or will we continue to get the third iteration? I'm definitely not getting 3 (minimum) 60 dollars games with largely the same plot, maybe Game Freak will stick to DLC instead of a new game set in the same region.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Makes me wonder how the Switch will affect future games. Will they continue like X and Y or will we continue to get the third iteration? I'm definitely not getting 3 (minimum) 60 dollars games with largely the same plot, maybe Game Freak will stick to DLC instead of a new game set in the same region.

That's really unlikely. GF has never done DLC before at all, and isn't likely to start when it's so much less profitable than a new game.

I certainly hope that if we get third versions for Gen 8, the whole fanbase doesn't pretend we don't know after seven generations exactly how similar or different they're likely to be. That was pretty cringeworthy of everyone last year.

But, in any case, I can't wait to see what the first games in what is very, very clearly a new generation in the traditional generational mold as already clarified abundantly by Game Freak and TPC!

OP forgot to write in the opening post that the game is due to release in the second half of 2019.

Okay, but was anyone expecting anything different? Not like we've ever gotten an internationally simultaneous release outside autumn.

Kage-Pikachu

It does seem unlikely but maybe Game Freak will surprise us. If they do then I hope they don't go crazy with it like EA or Arc System Works with Blazblue Cross Tag Battle...

Akashin

I think they'll start the Prerelease with the release of LGPE and the reveal of that mystery Pokemon, which might be the first Gen 8 mon.

Assuming it is the first Gen VIII mon (and even if it is a new Pokemon, that's harder to say with certainty now that USUM has set the precedent for new Pokemon mid-Generation), I'd sooner compare that to Magearna (and on a technicality Zygarde 10%/Complete Forme and Ash Greninja, but they don't really count) pre-dating the announcement of Gen VII by a couple months rather than calling it the start of pre-release. But I guess that's semantics.

I certainly hope that if we get third versions for Gen 8, the whole fanbase doesn't pretend we don't know after seven generations exactly how similar or different they're likely to be. That was pretty cringeworthy of everyone last year.

Was there much of that? I know there was plenty of lamenting over a return to the standard third version format (and making it a paired third version at that) after BW2 basically blew that idea out of the water, but that's not really the same thing. And all told, it's a pretty valid point to make.