• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Orphalesion

Assuming it is the first Gen VIII mon (and even if it is a new Pokemon, that's harder to say with certainty now that USUM has set the precedent for new Pokemon mid-Generation), I'd sooner compare that to Magearna (and on a technicality Zygarde 10%/Complete Forme and Ash Greninja, but they don't really count) pre-dating the announcement of Gen VII by a couple months rather than calling it the start of pre-release. But I guess that's semantics.

Yeah that's what I meant, I always considered the pre-release period for Sun/Moon to have started with Margearna's reveal, but yeah that's semantics. It could even be argued that since Pokemon 2019 was kind-of announced already we're already in the Pre-Release phase.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I wonder what kind of naming scheme they're going to go with - it's been a while since gems and metals were the hot thing to do, and even colors seem to be out the window with letters, celestial bodies, and now specific Pokémon (though the latter is probably in homage to Yellow's full title). Where might they go from here? And will they play on the red and blue, hot color and cool floor juxtaposition they seem to prefer in order to reference the original games again?

Was there much of that? I know there was plenty of lamenting over a return to the standard third version format (and making it a paired third version at that) after BW2 basically blew that idea out of the water, but that's not really the same thing. And all told, it's a pretty valid point to make.

There was plenty, throughout the actual fanbase and actually even bleeding into news articles and blog posts this time. I never found absolutely any of it to be legitimate - not for a second. We know what third versions usually entail, the "lack" of difference was severely exaggerated, and all in all it was painful to witness.

Kage-Pikachu

Pokemon Alpha and Zeta, Thick and Thin, Wet and Dry, lol. But seriously, if they run out of ideas they can probably just name them after the mascots or the region.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Hopefully, lol, they say they want us to go "this is the game I've been waiting for"

Time will tell if they accomplish their goal.

Probably not. Game Freak's design philosophy is the main barrier to that, as long as they keep limiting the game for accessibility and removing features to "surprise people" and make the games "unique" it will always be a divisive experience leaving some segments of the fanbase feeling isolated. They're never going to make the game that we're waiting for until they come to the realization that different fans like different aspects of the series and they need a balanced, varied game that we can tailor to fit our own individual preferences. Only then will the complaints quiet down (they'll never die completely it's impossible to please 100% of the fanbase, but they can please like, 90% of the fanbase).

Kage-Pikachu

What about Pokemon Fate and Destiny? Or Pokemon Past and Future.
I love those names but since fate and destiny are similar how about Destiny/Fate and Volition! Antonyms
Probably not. Game Freak's design philosophy is the main barrier to that, as long as they keep limiting the game for accessibility and removing features to "surprise people" and make the games "unique" it will always be a divisive experience leaving some segments of the fanbase feeling isolated. They're never going to make the game that we're waiting for until they come to the realization that different fans like different aspects of the series and they need a balanced, varied game that we can tailor to fit our own individual preferences. Only then will the complaints quiet down (they'll never die completely it's impossible to please 100% of the fanbase, but they can please like, 90% of the fanbase).
I think Pokemon will always be divisive, but I think that gives rise to interesting debates and conversations.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
When it comes to choosing the names of each version there's a theme of duality.

Red, Green, and Blue = Common Colors
Gold and Silver = Valuable Metals
Ruby and Sapphire = Precious Gems
Diamond and Pearl = Rare Gems
Black and White = Yin and Yang, Balance
X and Y = 3D or Alphabetical?
Sun and Moon = Celestial Objects

So in that regard the Generation 8 games should have some sort of relationship or theme for its respective versions.

Kage-Pikachu

How about: "Wood and Stone".
Hehehe, "sticks and stones will break my bones! Everytime!" (Dad from Cow and Chicken)

Hopefully this next game includes a National Dex! I loved the Dex entries from Sun and Moon, they can just change the conditions of the Shiny Charm if that's what they're concerned about.

Pokemon Power

Hehehe, "sticks and stones will break my bones! Everytime!" (Dad from Cow and Chicken)

Hopefully this next game includes a National Dex! I loved the Dex entries from Sun and Moon, they can just change the conditions of the Shiny Charm if that's what they're concerned about.
Let me guess, you want the increased chance of encountering Shiny Pokemon to be higher.

Kage-Pikachu

I don't shiny hunt, it just isn't too exciting for me, I just mean for them to change the method of getting the Shiny Charm and give us the full Pokedex.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
There are a few things they are going to have in Pokemon Let's Go that I want to see in gen 8 namely; walking Pokemon, Pokemon appearing in the overworld (but also bring back random encounters), and the PC being in the bag.

They can make it so that wild Pokemon that appear in the overworld can be battle if you walk into them, but for the most part can be avoided, while when you walk in the grass you can still be ambushed by an unseen random Pokemon

Pokemon Power

There are a few things they are going to have in Pokemon Let's Go that I want to see in gen 8 namely; walking Pokemon, Pokemon appearing in the overworld (but also bring back random encounters), and the PC being in the bag.

They can make it so that wild Pokemon that appear in the overworld can be battle if you walk into them, but for the most part can be avoided, while when you walk in the grass you can still be ambushed by an unseen random Pokemon

Speaking of PC being in the bag, I wonder how many boxes the Pokemon storage system will have this time. I'm willing to bet around 36 or 40.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion

So, not to be blunt, but... you mean like literally flat out saying that LGPE were made with a more casual audience in mind and that they want "long time fans" to "look forward to" the 2019 games? The rhetoric and language surrounding these games from official sources is quite literally "we hear you and we want to be sure all our fans are happy." There's more than enough cause to be like, at least a little optimistic about them.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
If theres anything I would like to be carried over from Let's Go is for Pokemon to follow you. Figure there's no reason for it not to since they have the walking animations in SM and Let's Go.

Orphalesion

I wouldn't mind seeing them going back to colours, I'd really like to see a "Pokemon Purple Version"

But since that's not gonna happen... Pokemon Earth and Sky? Pokemon Summer and Winter?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I am definitely looking forward to the Gen 8 games! It's good the models will have better textures and will likely be upscaled.

Akashin

Unless they removed the healing factor, I would dislike having a box to carry around your Pokemon in, it would be too convenient.

Healing when being put in the PC wasn't a thing until Gen II anyway. If we're lucky, this will be another aspect of Gen I they bring back.

If theres anything I would like to be carried over from Let's Go is for Pokemon to follow you. Figure there's no reason for it not to since they have the walking animations in SM and Let's Go.

Assuming the reason we have Pokemon following us again this time is because they had to make the models for the overworld anyway, I guess it depends whether or not that style will remain for Gen VIII. If it does, I can't think of any good reason not to keep Pokemon following us. But I can't imagine them going to all that work if we go back to random encounters.