• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Orphalesion

Why not? If it's about some politics BS, then what does it have to do with a video game, a Pokemon game of all series?
Yeah, I find it weird and biased that barely anyone thinks of Russia as a possible region for a Pokemon game - literally THE biggest and most diverse country on planet Earth BY FAR, and when/if they do, they bring up something completely unrelated to justify placing some other tiny country higher in their region wish list.
I don't want to turn this into a political debate. So how about you just accept that I wouldn't like to pretend to be a character in a fictional version of Russia right now and I accept that you would like to see it? That sound good?

Well, and as to few people considering Russia; for most of the world Russia is synonymous with a monotonous, permanently snow-covered landscape. I know that's not true, but that is the common (miss)conception, so no need to feel "biased" against.

And even without "some unrelated reason" Russia would not be my number one spot. Whether it's the largest country is completely irrelevant. And "most diverse" Idk. In Australia we have every terrestrial biome form except for Glaciers (and maybe thundra, probably).
If we are talking culturally diverse. I suppose, but it's many cultures not many people have heard of, might as well ask why people don't scream for region based on Kazakhstan. Most people do think of the European portion when thinking of Russia.

ArtFenix

I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if we saw bits and pieces of my dream of a region with desert and oasis themes, like ancient Mesopotamian and north African civilizations - honestly, it would be better if it incorporated time travel as a mechanic and showed those places as both as a parallel to they exist today, like a traditional region, and how they would have existed thousands of years before the events of the game.

Yeah, um, we have to realize that politics is sometimes actually relevant to the situation. There are people - myself included - who would just be pretty uncomfortable role playing a character the we probably build ourselves (if Kalos and Alola were any indication) in a region based on some countries like Russia, given certain laws and socio-cultural factors. I'm not going to say I'd be totally opposed to it, as there is a lot of good material to use there, but it's something to consider when choosing places to form the basis of a new region.

It's the same reason I'm not always comfortable proposing other specific places that might actually have very interesting culture and history, environmental diversity, and general richness. Now, if this series was less of a happy-go-lucky, fun and friends oriented series, then these places would be immediately appropriate for consideration.

How interesting would it be to actually explore different cultures, different places with different views, in a meaningful way through a Pokemon medium? We only get a little bit of that with each region usually, though Alola was more strongly and clearly cultural than the regions that came before it.
Hey, I don't see anyone complaining about Japan, when we all know too well just how weird certain Japanese cultural traditions may be sometimes, yet Russia is suddenly a problem? What are you even talking about? It's just a region in a Pokemon game where you play as a boy or a girl with a personality of a rock. Nothing more, nothing less.
For countries that heavily advocate and promote tolerance some of you guys are surprisingly intolerant towards anything that differs from your own worldview. That's pretty hypocritical.
I don't want to turn this into a political debate. So how about you just accept that I wouldn't like to pretend to be a character in a fictional version of Russia right now and I accept that you would like to see it? That sound good?

Well, and as to few people considering Russia; for most of the world Russia is synonymous with a monotonous, permanently snow-covered landscape. I know that's not true, but that is the common (miss)conception, so no need to feel "biased" against.

And even without "some unrelated reason" Russia would not be my number one spot. Whether it's the largest country is completely irrelevant. And "most diverse" Idk. In Australia we have every terrestrial biome form except for Glaciers (and maybe thundra, probably).
If we are talking culturally diverse. I suppose, but it's many cultures not many people have heard of, might as well ask why people don't scream for region based on Kazakhstan. Most people do think of the European portion when thinking of Russia.
Yeah, it's not always snowing in Russia and bears don't walk in the streets. >_> And there are quite a few nations living in Russia, most of them with their own customs and traditions, many races. Like I said, very diverse country.

People should at the very least do their research before dismissing things like that like they do not exist. I'm just tired of all those misconceptions, stereotypes, ignorance and bias. It's a Pokemon game. No need to bring up any unnecessary stuff that has nothing to do with game design, locations, architecture etc.

Hey, I'd find a game based on Kazakhstan pretty cool. At least, it's more unique and less predictable than what we've been getting lately. Probably not the best choice from the marketing standpoint, just like Russia, I can agree with that. But still, way more original and unique.

Kage-Pikachu

Hey, I don't see anyone complaining about Japan, when we all know too well just how weird certain Japanese cultural traditions may be sometimes, yet Russia is suddenly a problem? What are you even talking about? It's just a region in a Pokemon game where you play as a boy or a girl with a personality of a rock. Nothing more, nothing less.
For countries that heavily advocate and promote tolerance some of you guys are surprisingly intolerant towards anything that differs from your own worldview. That's pretty hypocritical.
True, most of my knowledge of other countries comes from the media, though I do like to look a lot of stuff up but I rarely look at the actual scenery and landscape when doing so.

ArtFenix

True, most of my knowledge of other countries comes from the media, though I do like to look a lot of stuff up but I rarely look at the actual scenery and landscape when doing so.
Yeah, you should trust the media less and do your own research, you might be surprised just how different some things are from what they say on TV and in movies.
I think probably every country has places that you don't expect to see there. Some countries have more, some less. Sometimes there are such beautiful and bizzare landscapes (or architechture, I suppose), that would be perfect for unique locations in a Pokemon game.

Orphalesion

I, for one, am pretty excited to see whether the Canada theory will prove itself to be true, or whether fans are just seeing a pattern again where none is. I mean France and Hawaii were an interesting coincidence if the theory isn't true. I'm still for British Columbia, but that's mostly because that's the only place in Canada I've been to and those cold rain forests are freaking beautiful.

BlisseyEX

The happiness Pokémon
South America could be an interesting region as well considering the terrain and history. Also Mew comes from there.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I'd prefer if we move away from warmer, tropical climates to some extent in the next setting. I'm not particularly enthused by urbanized regions like parts of Unova, but we've been tropical or subtropical since 2014 now - let's get some cold in there. Maybe we could bring back seasons again - I've always liked regions with Fall aesthetics, whether that's actually during a season like in Unova or just for certain locations like Johto.

Honestly, I also wouldn't be opposed with a return to Japan - Johto was by far my favorite region, and having some of that traditional Japan vibe return to some extent would be really nice.

Then again, I'd also be fine with an endless stream of games just set in Johto, so my taste is a bit biased I'm sure.

You're missing the point and trying to turn this around with some sort of "intolerant tolerance" argument, so I'm done with this exchange. It's clear there's no actual discussion to be had here. Thanks!

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I agree that we should move away from the tropical climates. Personally I'd prefer to have a region that borders the arctic like Canada or Scandinavia. The northern half could be covered in snow, have mountains and tundra. Then the southern half would have a temperate climate.

Orphalesion

We could have a cold region and still be in South America, theoretically. The southern parts of Argentina and Chile ,with Terra Fuego are freezing cold.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
We could have a cold region and still be in South America, theoretically. The southern parts of Argentina and Chile ,with Terra Fuego are freezing cold.

A good point! That's something that would be really cool - especially if they played it straight and the southern part of the region was actually the cold part.

They could always make it larger than past regions, too - then there would be no concern about whether or not they cover a large array of climates, and we can explore a continent that doesn't seem like the classical Pokemon setting. I think that might be a great idea.

Maybe they could feature some cute nods to past generations by including locations like Faraway Island; given that it's the only canonical location for Mew in the games, the original lore has Mew coming from South America, and the island is currently too far away from any region to have been assigned to one, that could be one of many ways to tie the new region to existing lore.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I find that I'm pleasantly surprised with the creativity with each region they employ inspiration from, so I'd be up for anywhere, really. If you can make France interesting, you can make anything interesting. For real though: Russia, Norway, Brazil, Australia, Alaska, Canada, England, Chile, etc. There's a lot of material out there.

Personally, I'd love one that delves into the Nordic mythos, but that's just me.

Kage-Pikachu

I really want to see a Totem (equivalent) Sky Battle, it would be difficult since the Pokemon Types you can use are limited.

I'm also still hoping for team battles against certain Pokemon and/or wild assist battle with Pokemon. I can clearly imagine fighting alongside a Caterpie and having it decide to join my team if I defeat the hoard of (lets say) Pidgey without letting it faint. Maybe they can be special Pokemon with Hidden Abilities.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It would bee cool to have a pure Fairy type that was physical and with good all around stats (s0rry Azumarril). I think in order to make it work we need a better move than Play Rough, even if it's similar to Thrash, Outrage, and Petal Dance (it's kind of hard to imagine a raging fairy though, lol, what is it mad about? Picked flowers?) The Fairy type kind of reminds me of Dragon, Rock, and Ghost types in that it took a while for good powerful moves to show up such as Dragon Pulse, Stone Edge, and to be honest...Ghost still struggles due to the exclusive moves.
Maybe it could have mixed stats and a large movepool to support its mixed stats, and has a high Speed stat too. But I would definitely like it to introduce more physical Fairy-type moves because Play Rough is the only one.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Hey important question here. Is it possible to move many of the Gen 8 threads from the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee section to the new Gen 8 section? Cause pretty much around 92% of Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee section threads are focused on what Generation 8 would bring to the table.

Missingno.Fan

Well first of all, I need to get me a Switch. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee look alright, but I could live without playing them. As for what I want in Gen VIII, I would love to see a region based on Australia. A post game based on New Zealand is optional. There is just so many animals and environments that they could use.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A region based off Australia for the new games will definitely be nice. It's got a lot of variety in wildlife especially with the native ones so there will be a lot of inspiration for new Pokémon especially with the creepy crawlies (insects and arachnids), the marsupials, monotremes like the platypus and the echidna, a couple of birds and the reptiles. If it is so then we can see Komala and Kangaskhan being able to be encountered in the wild.

Kage-Pikachu

I hope day and night cycles are far more detailed with cloud, stars, etc.

It'd be cool if Pokemon battles did damage to the field too, like Fire move scorching the ground and leaving cinders which could cause minor damage, Water type moves turning the area muddy, and so forth. Like show actual changes to the Pokemon during the battle. I also think it'd be awesome to watch Pokemon dodge missed attacks or in the case of sleeping or frozen Pokemon, watch the other Pokemon miss its attack due to its poor accuracy.

Orphalesion

A region based off of "Australia" would not be very good. it's a continent almost the size of Europe, and regions are the size of "the Northern Half of France" or "The Hawaiian Islands".

I'd rather see a region based of one of the states of Australia, like Queensland (not at all biased here). The whole country is just too big for a single region. And New Zealand wouldn't be "post game content" to Australia, if anything, it would need to be it's own region.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I honestly think that Canada could be the next region, simply because of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–France–Hawaii_Telescope

It could be any region, of course. But it would be funny if it does end up being the basis of choice.

I've been saying this for years. Everyone's been doubting me.

Given the massive space-related context in Pokémon recently, it just seems sensible to include Canada as the next region. It would finally complete the trio, and we get a legitimate cold region. 'Cause come on. Sinnoh sucked in that department.