• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

ouiaboo

uhhhhhhhhhh
I'm not expecting this game to have 4K ultra realistic graphics with 60 FPS. It's a JRPG so it'll have some sort of cel-shaded or toony look.
True, but I'm still going to be disappointed if it just looks like an upscaled version of the 3DS games in terms of model quality (like LGPE already does in some regard)

DSDark

Breeder
True, but I'm still going to be disappointed if it just looks like an upscaled version of the 3DS games in terms of model quality (like LGPE already does in some regard)
I'm hoping for it look like breath of the wild

A more realistic target for Pokemon would be something closer to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, a fully 3D overworld full of large, realistically proportioned areas and a mix of open fields and linear routes connecting them. This would be large enough to be worth the $60 price tag while not being too overwhelming for their first true console game. If they showed us something like that, I wouldn't be disappointed. Just not another XY or SM, that simply doesn't cut it when consoles have done more even as far back as the N64.

I think SM was a step in the right direction. You can definitely see that the routes are more open then in past generations. However I agree they have to make steps in the direction of more of an open world for it warrant the $60 price tag. That's always been concern with LGPE. Kanto is closed off with all the blockers separating routes from each other. I think if they simply remove those and fill in the "empty spaces" in the region's map they be good.

Last edited:

BCVM22

I can guarantee you right now it will not look anything like Breath of the Wild. Rightly or wrongly.

Some people are going to cling to that notion until we learn otherwise and that’s entirely their prerogative. I am simply a random individual on the internet and I have no game footage to show you that I am aware of. But I can guarantee you the game will not look anything like Breath of the Wild, a game that exists mostly in a different genre and gestated for the better part of four years across two consoles.

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
I can guarantee you right now it will not look anything like Breath of the Wild. Rightly or wrongly.

Some people are going to cling to that notion until we learn otherwise and that’s entirely their prerogative. I am simply a random individual on the internet and I have no game footage to show you that I am aware of it. But I can guarantee you the game will not look anything like Breath of the Wild, a game that exists mostly in a different genre and gestated for the better part of four years across two consoles.

What I mean by looks like breath of the wild I meant the art style of cel shading, if they do that mixed with the graphics of USUM I think it would look great.

If the game as the openness of BOTW that would be great too

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think SM was a step in the right direction. You can definitely see that the routes are more open then in past generations. However I agree they have to make steps in the direction of more of an open world for it warrant the $60 price tag. That's always been concern with LGPE. Kanto is closed off with all the blockers separating routes from each other. I think if they simply remove those and fill in the "empty spaces" in the region's map they be good.

Eh, not really. Most of SM's areas are still the same tired linear hallways where you do little more than walk forward. That's not going to fly in the console market. The only area of SM that really feels appropriate for a console is Poni Plains. If they made the routes more like that, then we've got ourselves a console game. But as is SM is pretty much the exact opposite of BotW.

Some people are going to cling to that notion until we learn otherwise and that’s entirely their prerogative. I am simply a random individual on the internet and I have no game footage to show you that I am aware of it. But I can guarantee you the game will not look anything like Breath of the Wild, a game that exists mostly in a different genre and gestated for the better part of four years across two consoles.

Genre has nothing to do with open world. There's a variety of different genres that do open world/sandbox style levels, action/adventure games, platformers, shooters, and yes, RPGs. So saying BotW is a different genre isn't really a legitimate excuse for not going open world, open world is a design/gameplay element that can be applied to any gameplay style that involves exploration. And Pokemon's gameplay style and core concept is one that lends itself to open world.

Also, you bring up another issue with Game Freak's development habits and that's the amount of time they're spending on the games. 3 years isn't going to get you as far on an HD console as it did on handheld, they really should be spending 4-5 years on the new generation games for them to have an appropriate size and content. The console market doesn't really like quick and cheap.

Sulfurian

Also, you bring up another issue with Game Freak's development habits and that's the amount of time they're spending on the games. 3 years isn't going to get you as far on an HD console as it did on handheld, they really should be spending 4-5 years on the new generation games for them to have an appropriate size and content. The console market doesn't really like quick and cheap.

I wouldn't call them cheap. In some areas, you could really tell a lot of work was put into these games. Lore, real world references, all of that. Be it not enough development time or they refuse to innovate. Like how people have to hack the game just to make it interesting, such as changing the link/wifi battle arena. They don't want to become the new assassin's creed with shelling out 60$ titles for content that isn't worth it. We're already dealing with mew only being available through paying for a controller for it. How long before we gotta pay real world money for a bottle cap?

BCVM22

Also, you bring up another issue with--

Ah nope. Pause. I certainly did not bring that up. You brought that up, because to you, everything seems to be an on ramp to the highway of "well actually, I don't like..." I personally dislike that highway. The lines are faded and it's full of potholes and animal carcasses.

And always, I suppose that's your prerogative, but it's a tad bit obtuse to use as your development benchmark a game like Breath of the Wild, whose development cycle was completely atypical and absolutely should not be taken as any kind of great example of how long a developer "should" spend on any given game. Nintendo themselves would likely tell you they would have loved to have that game out sooner in a vacuum, its success as an eventual launch title for the Switch notwithstanding.

Reactions: DBK

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I wouldn't call them cheap. In some areas, you could really tell a lot of work was put into these games. Lore, real world references, all of that. Be it not enough development time or they refuse to innovate. Like how people have to hack the game just to make it interesting, such as changing the link/wifi battle arena. They don't want to become the new assassin's creed with shelling out 60$ titles for content that isn't worth it. We're already dealing with mew only being available through paying for a controller for it. How long before we gotta pay real world money for a bottle cap?

They're already like Assassin's Creed though because we keep getting remakes and third versions that rehash previous games and new games that are too shallow to be worth $60. Including more content could only help this situation, the new generation games would have enough content to be worth it and the third versions and remakes can include more original content to stand out against their predecessors.

Sulfurian

They're already like Assassin's Creed though because we keep getting remakes and third versions that rehash previous games and new games that are too shallow to be worth $60. Including more content could only help this situation, the new generation games would have enough content to be worth it and the third versions and remakes can include more original content to stand out against their predecessors.

Yeah, and it's also because of that I hate version exclusives. I get it, it's supposed to make people trade. But really, to me it just sounds like tempting people to buy both versions and that does not sit well with me.

It also doesn't help other game developers have exposed consumers to buying the same content again, dlc, remakes. The average consumer may like pokemon and make an exception for them because nostalgia, and I think at this point it's what gamefreak is banking on. Their thousands of white knights defending any business decision they make.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Since this is going to be a console game I think they should take the opportunity to expand the areas even more.

I'd say Pokemon has always been pretty linear, but that's only because it was made as a traditional 2D RPG in mind. When I look at Alola, I especially see this. It seems to me that GF thinks of Pokemon games as grid-based RPGs more than as a 3d space. Something they should definitely change for the next gen. In S/M there are plenty of empty spaces that don't make sense in how the region is laid out. However if you were to make these spaces 2d it would make more sense because you aren't seeing them from every angle. It looks like less space because you see it on a 2d plane, not in a 3d environment.

That being said, let's compare that game to the colleseum games. If GF is going to take inspiration from any 3d Pokemon game, it should be from those games. Yes, they have some issues, but in regards to being a mesh of 3d and Pokemon battles it works well. The world feels like it was made with being 3d space in mind. Areas do have open spaces, but they usually branch out. The only part we didn't get to play was travelling between towns.

That being said, I think it's also important to consider that many of Pokemon's issues aren't because they were bad ideas to begin with. I always say this and I'll say it again; the system Pokemon has in place doesn't need to be completely overhauled, it just needs to be refined. Reworking how you travel through areas is a refinement that is way overdue. Reworking how the Battle system functions is way overdue. They don't need to keep adding new crap to old problems.

I'd much prefer that instead of them creating an entirely new system with their own set of problems, that they just focus on the system they have and make it better. As a console game they should definitely step up their game, no doubt about that, but asking for a Pokemon breathe of the wild version I feel is a bit ridiculous.

I know fans usually like mixing elements from other games into 1 dream game, but how that development process occurs and the final product of what you want will always be different from you get. It's the same as the argument that a Pokemon game should have all 6 regions without thinking how time-tasking it would be. There are other ways to improve the game without a complete extreme overhaul.

So overall, I don't want a breathe of the wild, I want a refined, enjoyable Pokemon game.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Since this is going to be a console game I think they should take the opportunity to expand the areas even more.

I'd say Pokemon has always been pretty linear, but that's only because it was made as a traditional 2D RPG in mind. When I look at Alola, I especially see this. It seems to me that GF thinks of Pokemon games as grid-based RPGs more than as a 3d space. Something they should definitely change for the next gen. In S/M there are plenty of empty spaces that don't make sense in how the region is laid out. However if you were to make these spaces 2d it would make more sense because you aren't seeing them from every angle. It looks like less space because you see it on a 2d plane, not in a 3d environment.

That being said, let's compare that game to the colleseum games. If GF is going to take inspiration from any 3d Pokemon game, it should be from those games. Yes, they have some issues, but in regards to being a mesh of 3d and Pokemon battles it works well. The world feels like it was made with being 3d space in mind. Areas do have open spaces, but they usually branch out. The only part we didn't get to play was travelling between towns.

That being said, I think it's also important to consider that many of Pokemon's issues aren't because they were bad ideas to begin with. I always say this and I'll say it again; the system Pokemon has in place doesn't need to be completely overhauled, it just needs to be refined. Reworking how you travel through areas is a refinement that is way overdue. Reworking how the Battle system functions is way overdue. They don't need to keep adding new crap to old problems.

I'd much prefer that instead of them creating an entirely new system with their own set of problems, that they just focus on the system they have and make it better. As a console game they should definitely step up their game, no doubt about that, but asking for a Pokemon breathe of the wild version I feel is a bit ridiculous.

I know fans usually like mixing elements from other games into 1 dream game, but how that development process occurs and the final product of what you want will always be different from you get. It's the same as the argument that a Pokemon game should have all 6 regions without thinking how time-tasking it would be. There are other ways to improve the game without a complete extreme overhaul.

So overall, I don't want a breathe of the wild, I want a refined, enjoyable Pokemon game.

Edit: Grammar
This. I've been trying to figure out how to word that and you did it for me. Danke.

At most I would expect the new games to be better, more fully realized versions of the Colosseum games (plus explore-able routes instead of the fast travel that those games did). And I would expect the graphics to be somewhere between Pokemon Go (see the Two Professors vid for what I mean) and Pokken. It's not going to be this giant jump some of you are expecting and low-key demanding.

Remember how long it took for the Pokemon games to finally take full advantage of the DS (and 3DS) systems? Sixth gen, X and Y. That's how long. Same with the GBA. Ruby and Sapphire were great, but it took until Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen for those games to really shine on the system. The first game of a new system is usually a test game to see what they can do with the new software and hardware. While the first games are good, they're usually at the bottom of the ladder quality-wise as compared to subsequent games on said system. So for the Breath of the Pokemoners out there, I would brace for a heart break.

As for me, I agree with Ducolamia. I want a refined, enjoyable game and look forward to next year.

Nodame

Misty <3
Who wants baby Pokémon ? I really do. I would love to see a pre-evolution of Audino and Miltank and maybe Lapras as well

DSDark

Breeder

If they style of the graphic's engine for Pokemon 2019 is a mixture of that of the USUM and BOTW I think that would be the best way to have a console pokemon game look. I am not a fan of the style of Let's go. Mainly there's no way to move the camera angle and it's to similar to the style of handheld pokemon games. Pokemon 2019 is going to be first example of pokemon jumping up to a more powerful system. They keep doing the same thing with the graphics. The characters and pokemon need to be more to scale, you are starting to see that in Let's go. Joe actually had a great tweet about it a few days. They must keep evolving on this for 2019.

In gen 7 they started to play with different camera angles in routes and that is a step in the right direction. However I would like to see a free roaming camera for 2019.

Niormon

If they style of the graphic's engine for Pokemon 2019 is a mixture of that of the USUM and BOTW I think that would be the best way to have a console pokemon game look. I am not a fan of the style of Let's go. Mainly there's no way to move the camera angle and it's to similar to the style of handheld pokemon games. Pokemon 2019 is going to be first example of pokemon jumping up to a more powerful system. They keep doing the same thing with the graphics. The characters and pokemon need to be more to scale, you are starting to see that in Let's go. Joe actually had a great tweet about it a few days. They must keep evolving on this for 2019.

In gen 7 they started to play with different camera angles in routes and that is a step in the right direction. However I would like to see a free roaming camera for 2019.
in short all you really want is to move the camera then there is no need to for Pokemon to be like breath of the wild Masuda has already given his thought on that countless times now, I'm shocked that none of that info has stuck to you.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
One idea for a new Pokemon would be a Normal/Dark type one based on a raccoon.

We don't have a raccoon pokemon yet? I don't recall at this point and time. But I would love to see a Dark type/Poison Type Raccon pokemon. I mean they do go through garbage so it makes a bit of sense to be resilient to poison.

I do feel that Normal/Dark would be the most realistic though. As much as I hate 4x weaknesses.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
We don't have a raccoon pokemon yet? I don't recall at this point and time. But I would love to see a Dark type/Poison Type Raccon pokemon. I mean they do go through garbage so it makes a bit of sense to be resilient to poison.

I do feel that Normal/Dark would be the most realistic though. As much as I hate 4x weaknesses.
Technically we already have a raccoon based Pokemon in Zigzagoon though I don’t think it retains the raccoon theme evolving into Linoone.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Sentret is also partially based on a raccoon. The tail has a raccoon’s tail rings.

DSDark

Breeder
in short all you really want is to move the camera then there is no need to for Pokemon to be like breath of the wild Masuda has already given his thought on that countless times now, I'm shocked that none of that info has stuck to you.

I'd also like to see similar openness with the story and choices, like BOTW. I'd like to option of being able to go to any gym or trial or whatever right from the beginning. With the story unlocking after checking 2 badges, 5 badges, 7 badges and so on. That's my dream