• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm going to wait and see how many pokemon are available in the Galar Dex before getting upset at what I can and can't transfer.

True, but it's sort of a double-edged sword.

Put less than half of the National Dex and they'll be panned for such a small roster. Put more than half and they'll be panned for not putting forth the extra effort to add what little pokemon are left to develop.

Sure, having two-thirds of the National Dex would be dope, but it really would beg the question, "If you could add this much, why couldn't you add the rest?"

I honestly think they should've waited until after launch to make this announcement.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I was so pleased with most of what I've been seeing, this is a real gut punch.

I mean obviously most people, including me, won't even ever use the majority of pokemon species available. Still, having them available as part of the world was one of the things that made Pokemon such an expansive franchise. Not to mention how collecting all of them has been pushed in their advertising since the start. If it really is a technical limitation I hope its explained in more detail at some point.

I mean does this mean that next generation even more old pokemon will have to be deleted? Just what is the max number of species that a Switch game can hold data for?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Honestly, I didn't plan on buying into Home anyways, I never even bought into Bank. Even back when transferring Pokémon was free, I rarely did it. Still, the only reason I would transfer something was to get something I normally couldn't catch in the game. Only being able to transfer Pokémon that can already be captured is meaningless. If I want one of them, then I just have to fly to the route and find them, and best of all, it's free! Once again, I don't really care too much, as it doesn't affect me, but I'm still very confused.

What bugs me more is the lack of the National Dex. The exclusion of it from Sun and Moon made no sense to me, and I figured it would just be a one-off. What ever happened to "gotta catch 'em all?"

This will also prevent them from ever doing remakes.

How and why? If anything, it should encourage it, so we can get Pokémon that aren't available in the regular games.

Nah, they made it very clear that this is a technical limitation of the system. Essentially, with every generation pokemon graphics/animation and therefore effort to put each pokemon in the game go up. Besides the graphical/asset side of things, there are also many other issues with individual pokemon such as having to allow support for specific gimmick pokemon like the genie trio, Kyurem, Spinda, Mega Evolving pokemon, primal reversion, Necrozma etc. I would not be surprised if many gimmick pokemon are among those cut from the games.

So the assets go up, number of pokemon goes up (with all the gimmicks coming with them) etc. I have been afraid that it would come to this but I always brushed it off as "GameFreak is a large company, they can afford to do this." It seems that is no longer the case and I'm really disappointed because I mostly play pokemon for the collecting side. I was really looking forward to expanding my living dex... This might actually break the game for me. I don't know, need to think about it.

Technical limitation? No way. They just moved to a home console for the first time. They should be expanding what they can do, not limiting it. This was done for unknown and arbitrary reasons, not technical limitations. That just wouldn't make any sense.

D

Deleted member 384931

I am pretty sick about gimmicks. It is just a big pokemon and I see that many arent that hyped about that. We didnt see much new at the treehouse. Only a dissapointing fact.

I think they are realising that they made too much pokemon or are just too lazy. Bye bye national pokedex, bye bye catching them all. So they ruined the porpose of pokemon?

I think that pokemon lost its magic a bit tbh, I am very dissapointed. Mega Evolution was good. Z-Moves were a rip-off of ME that every pokemon can use and Dynamax is just big pokemon with moves that have a special name like Z-Moves. Those pokemon you fight in Raid battles are like Totem pokemon but bigger lol. Tbh while graphic wise SwSh are fantastic, the other things feel meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
Meaning that they might've been removed from the franchise completely and Wont ever be even mentioned again the in the future installements. :(

That's a bit of a reach, they simply wont have all of them in this specific game. That doesn't mean they're completely being erased lol. I can understand the disappointing but let's not get too dramatic.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Cannot transfer old Pokemon if it is not in Galar Pokedex? Yeah, that was disappointing.
Galar Pokedex might have +500, but we will wait and see. Kalos Pokedex had +400.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
Technical limitation? No way. They just moved to a home console for the first time. They should be expanding what they can do, not limiting it. This was done for unknown and arbitrary reasons, not technical limitations. That just wouldn't make any sense.

I don't see how technical limitations are that easily ruled out. There is no reason to think they're purposefully cutting pokemon just for the hell of it.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I am pretty sick about gimmicks. It is just a big pokemon and I see that many arent that hyped about that.
Its also enhanced stats and moves that add new options.

bye bye catching them all. So they ruined the porpose of pokemon?
To be fair, "catch-em all" was more a thing from the English side of the franchise. "Catch lots of pokemon" was the Japanese version if I recall right.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I can already see the deal here. Sword&Shield with 500 Pokemon, DP remakes with 700 and SS sequel with all existing Pokemon. Trading only works from the older to the newer games.

Also unexcusable reasons, especially since Sword&Shield graphics are not even the best and other Switch games look more impressive, while GF''s staff and budget are also way higher than pretty much every other game company.

ArtFenix

I don't see how technical limitations are that easily ruled out. There is no reason to think they're purposefully cutting pokemon just for the hell of it.
They realise they will HAVE to do this sooner or later. SwordShield are the new generation on a new system. It's better to take this step now than introduce it in the next game.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Meaning that they might've been removed from the franchise completely and Wont ever be even mentioned again the in the future installements. :(
I find it very hard to believe they will leave anything out of the code after every past game has never done that. Sun and Moon had every form of every pokemon, and the walking animations for every pokemon, hidden in its code.

I was confused during Direct, because I literally thought they were going to release Home a week after SWSH's release when they were talking about how expressive in technology they've been in general. In someway, I like it as it won't give any opportunity for OU legendaries to take the shine in Battle Spot, but on the other, I feel like we're in the RSE or pre-Bank XY time.

Which also brings another question; how many new Galar Pokémon are we getting? If the Dex is as big as they mention, I'm pretty sure the old ones are taking the decent percent so, you won't end up disappointed in case your favorite doesn't make the cut. Out of XY's 450, Kalos had 72. I'm assuming we're getting around 500-550, leaving the Galar species around 85-ish.

Regardless, the positives I've seen so far are: Wild Area, multiplayer, Max Raid, whistling for Pokémon in skies, crouching for timid Pokémon, ability to encounter high-leveled Pokémon that exactly feels an open-world biome. I'm sure I can handle a few of my favorites not making it to Galar over time.
85 is not enough for me now knowing we aren't getting a national dex AND we can't even transfer non-regional pokemon to the game. I still want the national dex to reach 1000, even if we can't even see all of them in S&S.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
We already have 154 returning Pokémon, 155 if you count Mew.
As a computer engineer I can safely say putting all of 800+ Pokémon requires no effort. Making their appearances matter if a different story, but vast majority of returning Pokémon never got a facelift.
To be fair, "catch-em all" was more a thing from the English side of the franchise. "Catch lots of pokemon" was the Japanese version if I recall right.
It is "Get Pokémon", but Dynamax Raids are contrary to that idea, so SwSh don't make the cut either way.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
How and why? If anything, it should encourage it, so we can get Pokémon that aren't available in the regular games.
Because if this is truly a reboot, then remakes can only use Pokemon that are in the Galar Pokedex.

Nodame

Misty <3
I am pretty sick about gimmicks. It is just a big pokemon and I see that many arent that hyped about that. We didnt see much new at the treehouse. Only a dissapointing fact.

I think they are realising that they made too much pokemon or are just too lazy. Bye bye national pokedex, bye bye catching them all. So they ruined the porpose of pokemon?

I think that pokemon lost its magic a bit tbh, I am very dissapointed. Mega Evolution was good. Z-Moves were a rip-off of ME that every pokemon can use and Dynamax is just big pokemon with moves that have a special name like Z-Moves. Those pokemon you fight in Raid battles are like Totem pokemon but bigger lol. Tbh while graphic wise SwSh are fantastic, the other things feel meh.
They did ruin the purpose of Pokemon.. Satoshi the original creator will be mad.

D

Deleted member 384931

Its also enhanced stats and moves that add new options.

True but it was fun collecting all the pokemon to complete the national pokedex.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Cannot transfer old Pokemon if it is not in Galar Pokedex? Yeah, that was disappointing.
Galar Pokedex might have +500, but we will wait and see. Kalos Pokedex had +400.

That's my guess too. My theory is that the Galar Pokedex might more than Kalos had +500 or even +600 depending on the Galar pokemon we get, have a remake with D/P ( I feel this could be a possibility) and then some type of sequel or anything else really.