• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Honestly I bet you’re all over reacting. I don’t believe they said you’ll never be able to trade all the Pokémon, just you can’t from systems older than the switch, which probably means you’ll be able to with a new game that will come out.

Other than we will have to all start with new Pokémon and have to leave a few favourites behind for a while, and not completing the full dex this game, I don’t see much else wrong with it.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Honestly I bet you’re all over reacting. I don’t believe they said you’ll never be able to trade all the Pokémon, just you can’t from systems older than the switch, which probably means you’ll be able to with a new game that will come out.

They said you could only trade over pokemon that are in the Galar Regional Dex.

That means any pokemon not in the dex will be unavailable in Sword and Shield. No matter how many new games come out, those pokemon will never be able to be in Sword and Shield.

I can say I understand and sympathize with players who are upset with this.

Xuxuba

Actually, they made that announcement immediately following the reveal of Let's GO, so they were referring to Sword and Shield.
You just reiterated my point. They brought this up on a interview about LGEP, so obviously they were reassuring players that a different and more traditional game was on development, since some people were upset over the lack of features like wild battles.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger

Other than we will have to all start with new Pokémon and have to leave a few favourites behind for a while, and not completing the full dex this game, I don’t see much else wrong with it.

Did you watch the treehouse presentation? Masuda said you can transfer pokemon from Pokemon Home to Sword/Shield as long as they are in the Galar Pokedex. In fact he prefaced this by going out of his way to specify that there are over 800 pokemon and they are difficult to inlcude in games and they have been discussing at GameFreak what to do and this is the solution they came up with.

And then another guy at the treehouse said that he has been shiny hunting on Let's Go with his daughter and asked Masuda if they can transfer their shinies to Sw/Sh and Masuda said "Yes, as long as they are in the Galar pokedex."

So there is no mistaking this, there is no overreacting, there is no mistranslation. Sw/Sh will have a regional pokedex like every other game and this regional pokedex will include all of the new pokemon and some of the old pokemon like every regional pokedex and you cannot transfer any pokemon to Sw/Sh if it's not within this limited collection within the Galar pokedex.

i.e. There are at least some pokemon from anywhere within gen1-7 that are not gonna be in the Galar pokedex and can never be transferred to Sw/Sh. (Maybe this could be fixed with a DLC but if GameFreak was currently planning that then Masuda would have said it to reduce the negative reception of his statement so it's fair to say this isn't currently planned)

Erron Black

The Outlaw
which probably means you’ll be able to with a new game that will come out.
This argument is awful.

I shouldn't have to wait a whole year or more just to transfer Pokemon I caught from previous games to the latest and most relevant game in the series, which by then SwSh won't be the relevant game anymore.

There really is no excuse for this like Joe said on Twitter. They have the assets, all they need to do is apply new textures. It's not difficult by any means.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Yay! A Dark/Fairy Type! Also, the little electric dog is adorable!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You are ignoring the context tho. They said this when they were being interviewed about LGEP, not SwSh. And when compared to LGEP, it is traditional, because it has wild battles, the way you catch pokemon is the same, the way the stats work is the same and etc...

This is just going to lead into an arbitrary debate over semantics and interpretations, so if you don't mind, I'm just going to drop this part.

Either way, excuses don't alter the gameplay. If a game is bad, it won't be the excuses made for them that will turn them good.

Excuses don't alter gameplay, but they make changes more acceptable. We're not talking about the gameplay itself, we're talking about how people react to said gameplay. In the end, the way people react to something comes down to how they emotionally feel about it. If there's a good believable excuse for something, people will be much more accepting of the change. If there is no such excuse, then it feels like it was done just for the heck of it, which just makes an already questionable change feel even worse.

Ariki

I have a conspiracy theory: I reckon the reason they did this was because of PoGo ie Niantic pressuring them not to include all 8 generations of Pokemon because PoGo is still up to Gen 4.

I don’t know, this whole not transferring all Pokemon to SwSh sucks for all the fanbase including PoGo players...

Xuxuba

This is just going to lead into an arbitrary debate over semantics and interpretations, so if you don't mind, I'm just going to drop this part.

Excuses don't alter gameplay, but they make changes more acceptable. We're not talking about the gameplay itself, we're talking about how people react to said gameplay. In the end, the way people react to something comes down to how they emotionally feel about it. If there's a good believable excuse for something, people will be much more accepting of the change. If there is no such excuse, then it feels like it was done just for the heck of it, which just makes an already questionable change feel even worse.
Can't say i agree, but even if i thought excuses could alter whether i see a game as bad or good, i wouldn't exactly say the excuse you mentioned was good.
IMO, a good game is capable of pleasing both new and old players. If it can only please newer players, then it is not really good, at least for me.

Besides, it is not like having more playable pokemon would affect a new player negativately, since you can choose whether you use those newer pokemon on your team or not.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I'm not really too upset by this myself, but I'm just so unhappy.

Pokemon SwSh looked like what we needed after all these recent controversies, but I guess now it'll just be another one.

And it's a shame. All these great new Pokemon, all the new characters, the new region, the new mechanics...and there are now people who won't care about any of that, because of this one flaw.

It's just depressing, man.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I have a conspiracy theory: I reckon the reason they did this was because of PoGo ie Niantic pressuring them not to include all 8 generations of Pokemon because PoGo is still up to Gen 4.

I don’t know, this whole not transferring all Pokemon to SwSh sucks for all the fanbase including PoGo players...
That might be one of the reasons, since we still don't have Hoenn completed in Pokémon GO, let alone other generations. But it is obviously not the main reason.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I'm not really too upset by this myself, but I'm just so unhappy.

Pokemon SwSh looked like what we needed after all these recent controversies, but I guess now it'll just be another one.

And it's a shame. All these great new Pokemon, all the new characters, the new region, the new mechanics...and there are now people who won't care about any of that, because of this one flaw.

It's just depressing, man.
Maybe the Pokedex will be large so it will make up for it? Or maybe they will change their decision when they see the big negative reaction to this?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian

But that... doesn't make any sense...

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Speaking personally, as awkward as this is, I actually much prefer to this to how Black and White did things. At least here Pokémon from the past still exist, just not all of them. In the end, it's the in-game experience that matters, not the added experience of transferring stuff. Black and White left you with nothing old in-game, while Sword and Shield at least does have some.

Black and White still had all the old Pokémon in-game though, just not until after you had beaten the main story. Personally I vastly prefer that over some not even existing in Sword and Shield at all, main game or postgame, but different opinions and such. It just feels messy to me, because they are undoubtedly going to include the popular Charizard/Lucario type Pokémon and deny you the option to transfer some of the more understated Pokémon that never get any love in the Dex anyway.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Black and White still had all the old Pokémon in-game though, just not until after you had beaten the main story. Personally I vastly prefer that over some not even existing in Sword and Shield at all, main game or postgame, but different opinions and such. It just feels messy to me, because they are undoubtedly going to include the popular Charizard/Lucario type Pokémon and deny you the option to transfer some of the more understated Pokémon that never get any love in the Dex anyway.
I SO agree with it. Im done with all these overrated Pokemon, like Charizard. What about lease favourite ones? Its not fair they won't be in the game. Why not just put them in the trash? I will probably mostly use new Pokemon in this game, but its upsetting to think that other ppl that will want to use older unpopular pokemon won't be able to do so.
GF really needs to show more respect to all of their Pokemon.

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
I just don't understand why they would limit the pokemon that you can transfer from HOME. It's not like they had to create models for them since those already exist and are actually being reused for like the fourth/fifth time...

I mean, I understand why they can't incorporate all the pokemon in the game but you should still be able to use the pokemon even if they don't appear in the region/regional pokedex....

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I SO agree with it. Im done with all these overrated Pokemon, like Charizard. What about lease favourite ones? Its not fair they won't be in the game. Why not just put them in the trash? I will probably mostly use new Pokemon in this game, but its upsetting to think that other ppl that will want to use older unpopular pokemon won't be able to do so

I’m just so sick of the past Gen pandering. Sword and Shield are their own games, with a new Region, new Pokémon, characters, etc., and yet the Champion’s ace is looking to be a Charizard. For the life of me, I will never understand the insane obsession GF has with it. What we’ve seen so far of the Galar Dex looks pretty fair in terms of generational distribution, but I will genuinely be shocked if not all of the OG 151 aren’t in it.