• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Sobble: another amphibian Pokemon. We already have 17 amphibian Pokemon including Mudkip and Wooper which look the same as Sobble.
Its not an amphibian though, its a chameleon with water powers. Amphibian is also a very broad term, given it covers frogs, toads, caecilians and salamanders (and the diverse species within each of those).

Drednaw: another turtle Pokemon. We already have 10 turtle Pokemon.
And turtles are diverse, Drednaw is an alligator snapping turtle. If a cheetah counts as an exciting new pokemon and not "just another cat" then Drednaw should count too.

But Corviknight is just another Skarmory.
Skarmory is based on a bird from greek mythology. Corviknight is a raven.

If you go back and look at it, it becomes painfully obvious that they ran out of Pokemon ideas midway through designing Gen 5 and since then they're just recycling ideas.
Every gen we get this argument, and we also get many novel designs. Gen seven gave us a koala, woodpecker, toucan, giant isopod, coconut crab, bee fly, crown of thorns starfish, donkey, diving bell spider, orchid mantis, lemur, orangutan, sea cucumber, matamata turtle, spiny mouse and file fish/triggerfish and more. I highly doubt gen 8 will disappoint in regard to new designs.

Last edited:

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Do you guys think this is truly the beginning of the end for Pokémon?

So many major franchises have been destroyed lately. Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.

Will Pokémon be next in line? And if so...is any franchise safe?

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Yeah, I'm not going on board to call the new gen 8 pokemon crap just yet considering we've barely seen part of the dex and only one evolution. Pokemon always has their standard animals, some variations and such. It really isn't anything that surprising.

So many major franchises have been destroyed lately. Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.

We get this every gen when something happens that people don't like. UNLESS this cause a huge dent in sales and everything and anything pokemon related. No. If anything they still have the chance to realize people didn't like the choice and to patch it later on.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

Nah I don’t think Pokèmon’s dying anytime soon. It’s experiencing the reality of the highly critical standards of the modern world but it has a lot of wide appeal and I doubt Nintendo’s going to give that up

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay

Like I said, it would take multiple main series games in a row flopping, as well as sales of everything related to Pokemon taking a nosedive, for Pokemon to even be considered "dying." And even that I doubt.

Despite this announcement I still expect these games to sell well.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
And that is precisely one of the reasons why I think Dynamaxing is a really stupid gimmick in the first place, even ignoring all this new info about cutting pokemon out. Imagine a Dynamax Wailord being the same size as a Dynamax Pikachu... That just looks lame and they haven't thought this through.
The intention is to make every Pokemon have a way to become similarly giant in size, I don't see how there is much to think through about that. Any scenario where something shrinks or enlarges in size is going to look strange to one degree or another, that's a major reason it gets our attention. And Dynamax Wailord not being much bigger than Dynamax Pikachu won't look any worse than the Raichu and Gyarados face off we already saw (and based on that Wailord would be bigger than Pikachu, just not by any great extreme).

Even the name is so cheesy...
Cheesy names have always been part of pokemon. Some would say its even part of the appeal.

PreschoolerFromNowhere

If a game that only have 151 (+AlolaForm) +2) number of Pokemon can sold over ten million, i don't see why the game that have Pokemon around 300-400 can't not sale around the same number too. Don't even say "LGLE are spin-off!" since i remember some friend want LGLE to flop because it's not gen8 as they want, only have Kanto Pokemons, Alola form Pokemons and few new Pokemons but ended up bought the game anyway

My point is no matter how much hater now, there's still people who don't care about this and still going to buy it and some hater will end up buy it later anyway.

Also they gives a few months before the game release to let fans swallow it down, if they planned to act the same by spam dislike and angry comment from now, sure, go ahead, but i'm not ride along.

If that make them happy, i don't want to stop them even i'm not sure if that will be fun life or not.

To be fair, if this "Galar Dex Only" case is a such a big deal that can really turn ALL Pokemon fans into madness, by now Sword and Shield demo booth should get destory by angry fans or fans gathering and starting riot in the middle of E3 but not seem to be the case.

Last edited:

slowkingsley

Honestly, as much as I do dislike the idea of a limited pokemon roster, I gotta respect how Masuda wanted us to know as soon as possible about this. If he really didn't care then he'd probably not have made a point of revealing it so early and in such a public way.

By the way he was speaking and from his expression you could tell he was uncomfortable saying it and knew fans wouldn't be happy.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
Honestly, as much as I do dislike the idea of a limited pokemon roster, I gotta respect how Masuda wanted us to know as soon as possible about this. If he really didn't care then he'd probably not have made a point of revealing it so early and in such a public way.

I do give him credit for that at least. But again this could have been avoided. Need more time? Take more time.

In fact here's the thing. There are the people who are really upset by this who are complaining like me and then there are the people who don't think this is gamebreaking but still think it would be better to be able to transfer everything. I don't know how many people actually prefer dropping backwards compatibility but I assume they are a minority.

Of those of you who don't like this but are ok with it, how many of you would prefer they delayed the game if it meant including the rest of the pokemon and how many would rather they release asap even with less pokemon? I'm genuinely curious whether Masuda's argument holds up to scrutiny.

EDIT: To clarify, my naive guess, is that a majority of people would prefer to wait longer to get a finished game and thus, Masuda's reasoning of "We have time constraints because people want annual releases" is just flawed. I could be wrong.

Alita54

I see no reason to believe that Megas or Z moves are returning. Dynamax seems to be incorporating elements of both.

I really hope this isn't true. Dynamax seems somewhat interesting but I sure as **** do not want it to replace mega evolution or to a lesser extent z moves. Those things need to be at least post game accessible.

Alita54

I do give him credit for that at least. But again this could have been avoided. Need more time? Take more time.

In fact here's the thing. There are the people who are really upset by this who are complaining like me and then there are the people who don't think this is gamebreaking but still think it would be better to be able to transfer everything. I don't know how many people actually prefer dropping backwards compatibility but I assume they are a minority.

Of those of you who don't like this but are ok with it, how many of you would prefer they delayed the game if it meant including the rest of the pokemon and how many would rather they release asap even with less pokemon? I'm genuinely curious whether Masuda's argument holds up to scrutiny.

EDIT: To clarify, my naive guess, is that a majority of people would prefer to wait longer to get a finished game and thus, Masuda's reasoning of "We have time constraints because people want annual releases" is just flawed. I could be wrong.

I can wait longer personally. I still enjoy playing my ultra sun and even alpha sapphire games.

Marzbar

Its not an amphibian though, its a chameleon with water powers. Amphibian is also a very broad term, given it covers frogs, toads, caecilians and salamanders (and the diverse species within each of those).

And turtles are diverse, Drednaw is an alligator snapping turtle. If a cheetah counts as an exciting new pokemon and not "just another cat" then Drednaw should count too.

Skarmory is based on a bird from greek mythology. Corviknight is a raven.

Every gen we get this argument, and we also get many novel designs. Gen seven gave us a koala, woodpecker, toucan, giant isopod, coconut crab, bee fly, crown of thorns starfish, donkey, diving bell spider, orchid mantis, lemur, orangutan, sea cucumber, matamata turtle, spiny mouse and file fish/triggerfish and more. I highly doubt gen 8 will disappoint in regard to new designs.

Amphibian may be a broad term but the number of similar looking Pokemon under this term is concerning, you can't possibly say with a straight face that we don't have enough frog, toad and newt/salamander/mudskipper/axolotl Pokemon. And "a chameleon with water powers" is just something you made up.
Clearly I was referring to the armoured Steel/Flying bird resemblance, not the origin of the design....
Drednaw looks like a blend of Bastiodon, Torterra, Squirtle.... it's just not exciting.
I have no qualms about the Gen 7 designs, but there wasn't that many of them.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Fans here may be fine with waiting, but I think Nintendo has more to consider than that. They need to release big titles, and people like us honestly probably don't account for more than a small percentage of their sales. So the question might be better "is the average pokemon game player okay with waiting longer" rather than "are we okay with waiting longer"?

AlchemistAzure

not that any of this matters now with what they said during the Treehouse. if the *limit* of Pokémon isn't lifted (via patch or dlc) within the first few months of the games coming out...they will both flop

we want to not be forced to use Pokemon only they deem worthy

we want to use whatever we have, regardless of how silly it may be (because sometimes it works)

honestly so far, my interest for this gen is at a full 100% nope

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Amphibian may be a broad term but the number of similar looking Pokemon under this term is concerning, you can't possibly say with a straight face that we don't have enough frog, toad and newt/salamander/mudskipper/axolotl Pokemon.
Nope, there are tons of amphibian designs I'd like to see that they haven't done yet. Some kind of blind salamander, a flying frog, an amphiuma, one of those long tongued salamanders, sharp ribbed newt (the thing literally uses its spiny ribs as a defense), etc.

And "a chameleon with water powers" is just something you made up.
Well more something they made up, because yes there is no real world equivalent. My point is its not an amphibian.

not that any of this matters now with what they said during the Treehouse. if the *limit* of Pokémon isn't lifted (via patch or dlc) within the first few months of the games coming out...they will both flop
The Pokemon Let's Go games sold over 10 million copies. Its going to take more than having limited pokemon available to make these games flop.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend

I don’t understand how Masuda thinks that fans are pressuring the company to make games almost every year. I thought it was already stated in the past that they don’t listen to fans anyway. I also suspect that Nintendo is mainly the one that’s pressuring them to meet certain deadlines for high sales expectations. Personally, I would much prefer for the games to have longer development times as needed, especially now that they’re on the Switch.

ChicaSkas

I feel so bad that I won’t be able to get a National dex. I was miffed when UsUm didn’t have a national dex, and now I’m approaching ticked off and angered. I was genuinely looking forward to catching em all on my new Switch.

I only bought the Switch for these games!

ChicaSkas

To answer someone’s question here: I would be completely comfortable with game delay if they added all 900 Pokés now. Or whatever the new number will be. Instead they will probably come out with some new game called Pokemon National Dex and we will have to use that to see them, like the one in poke bank...... it bugs me.