• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

blob

There are other ways to improve underused pokemon, such as changing their movepool and stats, giving them new forms and giving them better types or abilities. Removing other pkmn from the game is probably the worst solution available out of these ones.

I think it is naive to think the exclusion of several mons would only lead to certain pokemon getting their time to shine on the competetive. It would also leave certain broken pokemon completely unchecked.

Nowadays, there really isn't that much of a limit to how much data you can include in a single game and Sword & Shield are far from pushing the console's limits anyway.
If they wanted to include every pkmn, they could have certainly done it.

You say they can't extend their development time, but they are the ones who decide that on the first place. They are the developers, not anyone else. You might argue there would have been problems since it would affect things like the tv show, but like when was coming up with fillers ever a problem to the series? When Gold and Silver was still on development, they came with up the Orange League. I don't see what stops them doing so again. Yes, the filler arc would probably suck but that is the writers fault who can't write good filler arcs, not theirs.
Yeah, Sword and Shield probably use one of the smaller sized carts on the Switch.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
What about new pokemon getting a chance to shine instead of never getting attention because something from three generations ago does what it can do but slightly better?

And logically there is a limit when it comes to supporting past pokemon. Unless they increase development time (which they apparently cannot do) then eventually there will be too many to update them all in time for new games. DLC could solve that, but for one reason or another they don't want to go that route.
Then just don't let the old Pokemon into official tournaments? It's that simple. I already play through the games using the new Pokemon anyway, but I still want to see all my old Pokemon that I've transferred from Gen III up to now in Sword & Shield.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Yeah that is not actually true.
And no it does not hold any good possibilities. They said the new pokemon are more expressive. We have seen about 30 minutes of gameplay footage by now and there was no evidence for that.

I've been trying to look at this at a different angle. We've seen the overworld, battle and Dynamax animations and it is true that we've seen nothing new. Technically speaking for old Pokemon, of course. New Pokemon are new animations but still.

Perhaps this "expressiveness" is a feature they have yet to reveal. Probably Gen 8's version of Amie/Refresh. Or maybe this game's side games, like a Pokemon Contest or something...

I'm sure they will remedy the unobtainable Pokemon by making them available in the next games just like they did in Gen 3, but it still sucks for me.

Rio!

Composer
I've been trying to look at this at a different angle. We've seen the overworld, battle and Dynamax animations and it is true that we've seen nothing new. Technically speaking for old Pokemon, of course. New Pokemon are new animations but still.

Perhaps this "expressiveness" is a feature they have yet to reveal. Probably Gen 8's version of Amie/Refresh. Or maybe this game's side games, like a Pokemon Contest or something...

I'm sure they will remedy the unobtainable Pokemon by making them available in the next games just like they did in Gen 3, but it still sucks for me.

That's what I tried to do too to kind of at least attempt to rationalize.
I had also vaguely hoped that maybe GF would stop with the 'Oh here's the first installment of the generation, have to wait another year for the only version you'll actually care about that's actually updated' since we were moving to a new platform, but I don't think that'll change. =/

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
If they really are holding that expressiveness under some specific mechanic, they better show it right on the next reveal. They need to do something asap to recover the good will they nurtured on the fandom after the direct one week ago and that was ruined after that disaster yesterday.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Just to piggy back off everyone, while I am not devastated by this news, as I enjoy using new pokemon rather than old, it is frustrating that the option isn't there. It is made even more irritating that my favorite pokemon may not be included because they don't "appeal to the wider audience". There are only two pokemon I have emotional connections with (my level 100 Swampert that I transferred from Sapphire to XD to beat Mt. Battle, then transferred to future games and my shiny Grumpig, the only shiny I ever caught), and I will upset if I can't transfer them.

In addition, the salt in the wounds is the fact that they couldn't really provide a decent reason for this, as Bguy7 explained.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
That's what I tried to do too to kind of at least attempt to rationalize.
I had also vaguely hoped that maybe GF would stop with the 'Oh here's the first installment of the generation, have to wait another year for the only version you'll actually care about that's actually updated' since we were moving to a new platform, but I don't think that'll change. =/
This. It’d be entirely different if they would roll out patches every other month with a few animations until they had it all in there. I wouldn’t even be upset tbh

blob

If they really are holding that expressiveness under some specific mechanic, they better show it right on the next reveal. They need to do something asap to recover the good will they nurtured on the fandom after the direct one week ago and that was ruined after that disaster yesterday.
What does expressiveness have to do with anything? Pretty sure it just means they'll add like 2 more textures for eyes and mouths for each Pokémon.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

If so, then I kind of have to question the logic of cutting Pokémon in order to have a side-feature work. If that really is the reason, then I would hope this supposed side-feature is something actually worth the loss. A slightly upgraded version of Refresh really wouldn't cut it.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Personally, I think they are not truly being honest here. I believe there is no need to sacrifice Pokemon just to "balance" the game. You can fix their stats, abilities and movesets. It's a start of a new generation after all.

They could even restrict Pokemon to just the Galar Dex for competitive play, but I really see no need to limit everyone else's freedom of choice because I believe majority of us are just playing the game casually.

ChristianLaw

Dark Typer
The way to do it would be to exclude other regions legendaries and mythicals for the time being. Then they could introduce them in updates as Dynamax bosses. I just want the main regular pokes back idc about the legendaries, mythicals, and ultra beasts

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm actually surprised by some of the excuses and mental gymnastics that I've seen people use on social media to defend the exclusion of certain Pokemon in Shield and Sword. While everyone is allowed to have an opinion, I don't understand how anyone can justify Game Freak's decision to take two steps back in Gen VIII.
Yea, it's something. I'd say the same in reverse. It's gotten so bad over on Youtube that I've had to block some of the complaining. I don't mind when someone brings up good points as to why they're disappointed in something... but when they don't... then it's just complaining for the sake of it, in my opinion, and that's just a bit too much.

BCVM22

I don't understand how anyone can justify Game Freak's decision to take two steps back in Gen VIII.

They gave a very reasonable interview (the relevant part of which you can find on the main site) where they explain why and how they arrived at the decision. I understand the frustration to a degree but I’d go so far as to say anyone who doesn’t at least understand the reasoning isn’t trying and doesn’t want to.

Ah! Found the problem.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
They gave a very reasonable interview (the relevant part of which you can find on the main site) where they explain why and how they arrived at the decision. I understand the frustration to a degree but I’d go so far as to say anyone who doesn’t at least understand the reasoning isn’t trying and doesn’t want to.
The thing is, people seem to understand the reasoning, they just don't see how/why it applies the way Masuda said it does. The main arguments against his points as near as I can tell are:

1. Most of the work on the older pokemon models is already done, so why should the higher graphics be a prohibitive amount of work?
2. Competitive balance could also be attempted by banning the use of certain pokemon and continuing to change existing stats.

So what I hope is that in future interviews we might get an answer to these arguments, but I can see such questions being seen as potentially too forward/impolite.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I'm actually surprised by some of the excuses and mental gymnastics that I've seen people use on social media to defend the exclusion of certain Pokemon in Shield and Sword. While everyone is allowed to have an opinion, I don't understand how anyone can justify Game Freak's decision to take two steps back in Gen VIII.

These are the people who never transfer. Only play causally, doesn't have boxes of IV breed Pokemon (specifically not shinies).

Of course they don't care, they're one and done with these games lmao.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
These are the people who never transfer. Only play causally, doesn't have boxes of IV breed Pokemon (specifically not shinies).

Of course they don't care, they're one and done with these games lmao.
I'm a person who transfers, plays semi-casually and doesn't have boxes of IV bred Pokémon. And I'm no fan of what they're doing with not letting all of the Pokémon be traded forward. But it is what it is.

neo_senku

The way to do it would be to exclude other regions legendaries and mythicals for the time being. Then they could introduce them in updates as Dynamax bosses. I just want the main regular pokes back idc about the legendaries, mythicals, and ultra beasts

This I'd be okay with. It would suck not being able to use some of my legend favs like entei and latias but i could live with that. But if i arbitrarily cant use my Feraligatr, or gastrodon, Serperior, swellow, etc then I'm never gonna be happy with that. I'm not gonna be happy with choice being restricted like that. The games will be far less fun for me that way.