• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Illusio

No words, only rage
Don't worry, I was just being facetious. I believe they already confirmed all Gen 1 Pokemon are in Sword and Shield.

And by the way, serious breeders are just as hardcore of players as competitive battlers. I was one of them. So many mechanics to manage in order to breed Pokemon with just the right IV's, abilities, natures, egg moves, genders if you're cross-breeding, etc.

Didn't they say the opposite? I remember in one of the interviews where this entire transferring mess started Masuda said that Pokemon from Let's Go can only be transferred if they're in the Galar Dex, which implies that some may be missing.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Didn't they say the opposite? I remember in one of the interviews where this entire transferring mess started Masuda said that Pokemon from Let's Go can only be transferred if they're in the Galar Dex, which implies that some may be missing.
Yeah. Not all of the Gen 1 Pokemon will be in this game, and we pretty much knew this right when they announced that all the Pokemon in the game will be in the Galar dex.

Terrysaurus

I haven’t heard anything yet but it wouldn’t surprise me either, especially Ditto. The only gen 1 Pokemon I’m legitimately concerned about is Jynx.

That being said, since Megas are out but Charizard is in, I wonder if they’ll finally cave and give him a retcon. Perhaps something as simple as giving the Kanto starters their Megas’ abilities if they’re catchable in the wild. If they really wanted to, I suppose they could finally appease the fandom and make it Fire/Dragon...

i think they gave alakazam a boost in usum and also some others so they will probably do the same again in galar. They can buff up charizard either by messing the stat or giving him even stronger moves(tho the latter unlikely). Like we know ttar is in game but will ppl use it if not mega evolved? It depends. the battle style so far had to do with using ou mons that had either high overal stats or good typing or good sets. Now that not all pokemon are included, the essence of using the strongest mon stops being that relevant since they decide how to balance the tier, just like playing in uu or lower tiers. so maybe there isnt a need to buff anything up if everything is balanced AND on the weaker side of the unmegaevolved pokemon. they said the tier will be balanced. Wether they buff mons or everything will be weaker so that u can use un-mega mons its up to them and we shall see soon.
(Most ppl will prob play safe and use trustworthy mons with good sets that r strong without being relevant to mega evolution, for example competitive milotic etc)

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I wouldn't be surprised if all of Gen 1 was present in SwSh, after all they had just received model updates in Let's Go, and they look very similar to the ones in SwSh.

So they were probably easiest to port into SwSh, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they left some like Kangaskhan, Mr. Mime, and the legendaries out of the games.

Regardless, this issue of certain Pokemon being unavailable in Gen 8 should really only last until the next games, either GF will eventually patch the rest of them into SwSh, or they won't and we get the rest in DP remakes/SwSh third version/whatever comes next. If they still, for some strange reason, do not have all Pokemon available in the second games of Gen 8, then that imo is ridiculous. Right now it's understandable, I am upset of course, but there are sound reasons in place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Erron Black said:
I wouldn't be surprised if all of Gen 1 was present in SwSh, after all they had just received model updates in Let's Go, and they look very similar to the ones in SwSh..

I'm fairly certain that they'll all be available in Shield and Sword, mostly because I can't see Game Freak wanting to exclude the most iconic generation of Pokemon since they seem determined to shill Kanto for all eternity.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I'm fairly certain that they'll all be available in Shield and Sword, mostly because I can't see Game Freak wanting to exclude the most iconic generation of Pokemon since they seem determined to shill Kanto for all eternity.
Except we already know that this is not happening. Masuda said that LGPE Pokemon can't be transferred over unless they are in the Galar Pokedex.

~Golden-Victini~

V is for Victory!
The main reason why I'm not jumping the gun yet is that there's a lot of factors when considering the game itself. For all we know, Galar could be absolutely MASSIVE especially from what we've seen of that Steampunk City, not to mention the wild area. I have a feeling at least a lot of pokemon will be available in this region considering the diversity of the Wild Area, and not even considering the places outside that. We also don't know how much extra features and post-game content cut into development and space as well.

That being said, I still think Gamefreak needs to hire more people to work on their games (they should at least have around 200 or maybe even double their current amount of workers) and get better at coding like a few of the previous users had said.

Keep in mind there's still enough of a possibility for Gamefreak to backtrack if the backlash starts hurting sales or persists. Didn't they return character customization in gen 7 after being absent for ORAS? Though I guess this isn't as comparable.

EDIT: Also, YES my beloved Pika-Doppelganger has returned!

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Keep in mind there's still enough of a possibility for Gamefreak to backtrack if the backlash starts hurting sales or persists. Didn't they return character customization in gen 7 after being absent for ORAS? Though I guess this isn't as comparable.

EDIT: Also, YES my beloved Pika-Doppelganger has returned!

Hey everyone. We hear you, and we're going to patch the rest of the Pokemon in post-launch. Could even take up to 6 months, but we're going to make things right.
That's all I need to hear.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
What do you guys think of the battling, both against trainers and in the wild so far?

Nothing out of the ordinary. Same ol' stuff, just prettier.

I never expected the battling to be any different, though. I do like the way Nessa throws the PokéBall, though. I'm excited to see other unique animations.

Where is your line in the sand? Because Game Freak just crossed mine, and yours could be next.

I must say that is a rather interesting question.

I suppose it's a fair question to ask, though all answers would be subjective.

Honestly, I don't know if I have a line with Pokémon. There have been things I didn't agree with, such as the insane linearity with Sun and Moon, or with how lackluster USUM was in its development (definitely could've saved myself 40 bucks). Still, none of it was enough to make me quit Pokémon for good.

I think it's because after 21 years with the franchise, I think I'm finally ready to let it change. I don't care what they come up with. I just want it to be fun. I think Sword and Shield will be a lot of fun. I don't think I need the entire roster to enjoy a game. I never have before.

So long as the game itself is fun and engaging, I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
~Golden-Victini~ said:
We also don't know how much extra features and post-game content cut into development and space as well.

I could understand if adding all the new features cut into the development time that Game Freak had to work with, but the past two generations have shown me that they don't care that much about post-game content. So it's hard for me to believe that they put much effort into that in Shield and Sword. But I've heard that Game Freak might've been understaffed when they developed these games, which I also find odd if true since you would think that they'd have the resources to hire any number of game designers to work for them.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Nothing out of the ordinary. Same ol' stuff, just prettier.

I never expected the battling to be any different, though. I do like the way Nessa throws the PokéBall, though. I'm excited to see other unique animations.

I must say that is a rather interesting question.

I suppose it's a fair question to ask, though all answers would be subjective.

Honestly, I don't know if I have a line with Pokémon. There have been things I didn't agree with, such as the insane linearity with Sun and Moon, or with how lackluster USUM was in its development (definitely could've saved myself 40 bucks). Still, none of it was enough to make me quit Pokémon for good.

I think it's because after 21 years with the franchise, I think I'm finally ready to let it change. I don't care what they come up with. I just want it to be fun. I think Sword and Shield will be a lot of fun. I don't think I need the entire roster to enjoy a game. I never have before.

So long as the game itself is fun and engaging, I'll be fine.
That is a very well thought out and fair opinion. But admittedly, it is also a pretty low bar.

I would question whether people should begin expecting more out of Pokemon now that they're paying $60 instead of $40, but Game Freak knows all too well that this question was already answered with Let's Go.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
That is a very well thought out and fair opinion. But admittedly, it is also a pretty low bar.

I would question whether people should begin expecting more out of Pokemon now that they're paying $60 instead of $40, but Game Freak knows all too well that this question was already answered with Let's Go.

"Low bar" is also a rather subjective notion, and the reason why is right here in front of us.

We all decide what is worth $60. As consumers, we each have the right to choose for ourselves what value a product has. I felt Let's GO was worth the 60 bucks, and I still play it even now. I felt USUM wasn't worth the 40 bucks, and I took it back after only a few weeks. This is the choice we each must make.

No one is right. No one is wrong. We all get to choose. It doesn't matter how much time and effort Game Freak puts into a Pokémon game. They don't get to decide how much it's worth. You do.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
"Low bar" is also a rather subjective notion, and the reason why is right here in front of us.

We all decide what is worth $60. As consumers, we each have the right to choose for ourselves what value a product has. I felt Let's GO was worth the 60 bucks, and I still play it even now. I felt USUM wasn't worth the 40 bucks, and I took it back after only a few weeks. This is the choice we each must make.

No one is right. No one is wrong. We all get to choose. It doesn't matter how much time and effort Game Freak puts into a Pokémon game. They don't get to decide how much it's worth. You do.
I agree. I just can't help but subjectively feel like fans value Pokemon so highly that we have allowed the games to falter, for many years at that.

From the E3 footage, Sword and Shield's overworld art design looks much less inspired than Alola's. The Wild Area's draw distance is impressive, but unless they drastically improve the Pokemon and NPC draw distance to match it, it will just look like flat, empty space with bland coloration. The environment textures look honestly horrible so far, and I wish GF had chosen a more stylistic aesthetic to mask the low fidelity.

Masuda says that kids these days don't have the attention span for post-game content, so I've given up hoping for a meaty end-game like HGSS/Platinum and Black 2.

The storyline peaked at Gen 5, and ever since XY, all the characters around you only exist to service your continued progress through the region. Only the slightest, tiniest bit of character progression and the smallest amount of character involvement makes the story feel like you're in a vacuum. I do not expect Sword and Shield to make a complete turnabout.

The two big cities we've seen so far do look gorgeous, but since it's basically confirmed you can't control the camera except in the Wild Area, I won't be able to turn the camera around to fully appreciate the skylines. I mean seriously, what a waste! That was one of the things I was most excited about, walking into each beautiful town and hoping I could turn the camera around to see it all since we finally have a second analog stick on a proper console. But this was too much to hope for apparently!

And again, just subjectively, I can't help but feel like this is all because we have slowly lowered our expectations so far that we will just buy anything they make because it still has Pokemon in it.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I agree. I just can't help but subjectively feel like fans value Pokemon so highly that we have allowed the games to falter, for many years at that.

From the E3 footage, Sword and Shield's overworld art design looks much less inspired than Alola's. The Wild Area's draw distance is impressive, but unless they drastically improve the Pokemon and NPC draw distance to match it, it will just look like flat, empty space with bland coloration. The environment textures look honestly horrible so far, and I wish GF had chosen a more stylistic aesthetic to mask the low fidelity.

Masuda says that kids these days don't have the attention span for post-game content, so I've given up hoping for a meaty end-game like HGSS/Platinum and Black 2.

The storyline peaked at Gen 5, and ever since XY, all the characters around you only exist to service your continued progress through the region. Only the slightest, tiniest bit of character progression and the smallest amount of character involvement makes the story feel like you're in a vacuum. I do not expect Sword and Shield to make a complete turnabout.

The two big cities we've seen so far do look gorgeous, but since it's basically confirmed you can't control the camera except in the Wild Area, I won't be able to turn the camera around to fully appreciate the skylines. I mean seriously, what a waste! That was one of the things I was most excited about, walking into each beautiful town and hoping I could turn the camera around to see it all since we finally have a second analog stick on a proper console. But this was too much to hope for apparently!
Did you play Sun/Moon or not? The plot may have been more intriguing in Gen V, but I was way more emotionally invested into Lillie's story in Alola than in N's in Unova.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Did you play Sun/Moon or not? The plot may have been more intriguing in Gen V, but I was way more emotionally invested into Lillie's story in Alola than in N's in Unova.
I did play through Sun. Its story wasn't better quality than Gen 5's just in my opinion. Lillie's story arc felt like it was cut short after Cosmog. It wasn't that big of a deal of course, I enjoyed it for what it was.

The characters they've introduced so far in Sword and Shield look more promising than Gen 7's at least, so I'm more excited to see the story than I was for Sun/Moon.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Except we already know that this is not happening. Masuda said that LGPE Pokemon can't be transferred over unless they are in the Galar Pokedex.
He didn't just say LGPE though.

He mentioned SuMo and USUM. Pretty sure he said something along the lines of "For example; Pokemon from the Sun and Moon, Ultra Sun and Moon, and Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee games can only be transferred to Sword and Shield if they appear in the Galar Pokedex."

That doesn't really infer that Gen 1 Pokemon may be absent.