• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
I think what he’s implying here is the national dex being the make or break decision and some people’s overreaction to it is getting a bit out of hand and starting to overshadow the game itself. It’s one thing to be disappointed by this, it’s another to have a full existential crisis over it.

Again, gen 3, 202/386 initially available in ruby/sapphire, people were understandably upset but those missing mons became available in firered and leaf green. I trust a solution will appear at some point. It may not be the most ideal solution (transferring Pokemon before bank was a chore) and may not happen as quick as people would like (we went roughly a year without all Pokemon being available in gen 3), but I trust it’ll happen. We just need to take a chill pill, be reasonable in our complaints (I.e. not spam twitter/reddit 1000 times a day every day), and wait and see what unfolds with Pokemon home, as we still don’t know everything about that either.

Well, GameFreak should have known that saying they are cutting pokemon out would generate a backlash though. If they really are planning a solution (patch the remaining pokemon, include all the pokemon in the next game, anything really) then it would have been a smart move to say so during the treehouse.

If you just say "Yes, we have too many pokemon so our policy for the future is now to not have all the pokemon in the games" people are understandably worried that there isn't gonna be a solution. Maybe those 1000 posts a day will help convey this sense of outrage and might contribute to a potential solution, or they might not, but it's the best we can do.

Apparently you don't know what obvious means either. They are not lying about anything. While it may be true that no regional Pokedex has ever had more than 500 Pokemon, that's because they always had a National Pokedex. Now that the regional dex is the only dex it's perfectly reasonable to expect them to include over 600 as the regional dex count.

Alola didn't have a National Pokedex and it didn't have more than 500 pokemon either. Again, we don't know either way but 600 to 500 is still well within the realm of what is comparable.

Also, did you ever once stop to think that when they said animation they weren't talking about the Pokemon? Look at the region itself, from the buildings to the wild area to the weather; the animation is epic by Pokemon standards. And aside from that, the Pokemon are in fact more polished than before; it's not like they simply copied and pasted the files from USUM, changes were made. I feel like the most ridiculous part of your argument is that you seem to be implying that Double Kick is the only move in the game. There are countless moves that will require far more detailed animation; just to name a few there's Frenzy Plant, Blizzard, Hurricane, and Eruption. You can't look at one very basic attack and act like it's the standard.

1. That's the problem at the core of all criticism. Why are we applying lower standards on the highest grossing franchise of all time than we are on any other franchise? Shouldn't it be the exact opposite? I wasn't too happy after the Pokemon Direct last week but I was willing to give them a pass. If they are gonna remove half the pokemon and blame it on animations then I'm not gonna give them a pass. I'll criticise the animations.
  2. The models are copy and pasted not only from USUM but all the way back from XY. The textures are new but they are easier to make than models or animations. The animations may or may not be new, I'm not sure, but again, they don't look as good as PBR which is a 10+ year old spinoff. The studio that made it is working with the Pokemon Company on other projects. They could have brought them over.
  3. I'm not implying that Double Kick is the only move in the game. Moves require animations too and various attacks such as Shadow Ball etc have animations of their own in both SwSh and PBR. The problem is not the animation of Double Kick itself (which is just a 2D image). It's what scorbunny does while engaging in a physical move: nothing. In PBR every pokemon actually runs up to the enemy to perform a physical move.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This is probably the worst argument in favor of Pokemon SwSh I've seen across all media so far, and it's brought up more times than I can count.

I wasn't arguing in favor of anything in that post.

You're clearly way too consumed into this whole argument mess if you're jumping the gun like that. You might wanna take a breather.

People need to stop acting like the Pokedex is all there is to Pokemon. For Pete's sake people, give it a chance. Just because it doesn't have everything doesn't mean what it does have isn't good.

Well, to be fair, people do have the right to decide what does and doesn't matter to them in a game, which reflects what they are and aren't willing to pay for.

It's less what they're upset about and more how they're going about it. Although I will admit, I have raised an eyebrow at a couple of gripes.

Last edited:

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
Get off your high horse already. Have you ever once stopped to consider that maybe it's not about consumers being bad with money? That maybe they realize this is more expensive than it should be but they just don't care? I don't care that they cut some stuff out; I'll be perfectly happy with what IS in the game instead of complaining about what isn't. This is no different than any other hobby. Whether your hobby is collecting trading cards, working on motorcycles, making birdhouses, or playing video games, it's not about how much money you spend; it's about how much fun you get out of it.

Did you mean to quote someone else or did you just completely misread what i said?

Not once did i call out anyone for being bad with money. My entire post , of which you quoted a small part, is about letting people spend their money however they please for whatever reason and that people should attack them over it. Something you in your many posts and even stating here seem to agree with, so what high horse am i on exactly?

edit: if you're specifically talking about my personal opinion on the example i gave with p2w, then i have already stated that that is my own opinion and i do not think badly of anyone who disagrees with me. It's just not a game i'd invest money in. And i'm free to do so. Me not buying into that does not mean i automatically condemn those that do.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I wasn't arguing in favor of anything in that post.
You literally stated "I can't imagine anyone using 809+ Pokemon", you inserted yourself into said position. You took a stance by putting "I can't imagine..." in your post.

Also your post is you taking a side. For people who have living dexes, it's not the same if it's on an application rather than the actual game, and you took a stance by claiming it's a non-issue.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You literally stated "I can't imagine anyone using 809+ Pokemon", you inserted yourself into said position. You took a stance by putting "I can't imagine..." in your post.

Also your post is you taking a side. For people who have living dexes, it's not the same if it's on an application rather than the actual game, and you took a stance by claiming it's a non-issue.

What, are you looking for a fight or something? lol

You're just picking through my post and applying your own context to a particular part of it to suit your own narrative? lol Get that mess out of here, bro. Go fight with someone else.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
What, are you looking for a fight or something? lol
... No?

I found a post I disagreed with, posted my stance on it, and now you're getting a little heated about it.

EDIT: If you're really upset about it, then just drop it. There's no point in going back and forth for literally no reason.

Last edited:

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I'm actually laughing at this. What a mess.

So Masuda has doubled down? Welp that's it then, they just think they can weather the storm.

Anyone defending this change has to acknowledge the fact that when GF claims "We had to exclude all the Pokemon to make the presentation and graphics extra good" means that the natural reaction is to scrutinize Sword and Shield's graphics and presentation more closely. And unfortunately, as of the E3 build, it fails to meet this claimed higher standard. In My Opinion

Poke Trainer J

Apparently Game Freak hasn't been very efficient in the programming side of things up to Gen 7 where as the game performance tends to be worse than what the console / handheld is capable of. Here's something a person found with Sun & Moon and If what he's saying is true then that's an issue which seems to be one of many as Sword & Shield doesn't appear to be all that different in that regard:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SciresM/...kes-found-in-main-series-pokemon-game-coding/

With the way Dynamax forms were made seems to imply that they aren't resized Pokémon but their own models made from scratch or just made and stored as a separate model which also seems very inefficient from a programming standpoint as well. Game Freak is potentially wasting way too much time adding unnecessary models in Sword & Shield at the cost of all Pokémon being available to play.

There's a rumor that some programmers found that every encounter with Lillie in Sun & Moon is it's own model (even If they're identical) that caused the Sun & Moon games to be bloated and If Game Freak did that again in Sword & Shield that's even more memory wasted. What we're facing are 100 Encryptions and Decryptions for a single Pokémon. So it's no wonder their performance issues have been shaky especially in Doubles.

Red and Blue

So adding in the other Pokemon after release via DLC or patch isnt an option then?

Ulicies

Mild Monk
So adding in the other Pokemon after release via DLC or patch isnt an option then?
Nope. Pokemon are officially Starbuck's seasonal flavors, and hundreds of Pokemon may or may not be featured again for years.

Obviously Sword and Shield will have all 151 Gen 1, because those Pokemon thought, "This region is cold, but I'll make it work."

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm not that pleased with the direction that the franchise is going in, but I can handle some Pokemon not being available in these games. The only thing that bothers me about the decision to leave some Pokemon out of Shield and Sword is that it sets a troubling precedent for what else Game Freak might remove from the games in the future.

LordSerperior

I'm actually laughing at this. What a mess.

So Masuda has doubled down? Welp that's it then, they just think they can weather the storm.

Anyone defending this change has to acknowledge the fact that when GF claims "We had to exclude all the Pokemon to make the presentation and graphics extra good" means that the natural reaction is to scrutinize Sword and Shield's graphics and presentation more closely. And unfortunately, as of the E3 build, it fails to meet this claimed higher standard. In My Opinion
And you have, everyone has had the chance to express their displeasure in the two weeks. Almost all points have been argued by both sides and nothing new is coming to the table now. So what is the point of repeating it every other post? As someone else said, they're trying to "convince" people who haven't been able to see through GameFreak's deception. Maybe just maybe try considering the possibility that other people aren't dumb and understand the problem here but still don't care. So maybe people just need to stop convincing each other and let people make their own decisions based on their own preferences (even if you strongly feel they are dumb and can't see the bigger/real picture).

Nobody needs to give the games a fair chance if they aren't sold by what we've seen. But the opposite is also true, you can't keep asking people to not buy the games or join your internet campaign when they aren't bothered by it. It is a children's game, if you like it buy it, if you don't then don't. I am sure there are other things in the world that you can spend money and time on and enjoy.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
And you have, everyone has had the chance to express their displeasure in the two weeks. Almost all points have been argued by both sides and nothing new is coming to the table now. So what is the point of repeating it every other post? As someone else said, they're trying to "convince" people who haven't been able to see through GameFreak's deception. Maybe just maybe try considering the possibility that other people aren't dumb and understand the problem here but still don't care. So maybe people just need to stop convincing each other and let people make their own decisions based on their own preferences (even if you strongly feel they are dumb and can't see the bigger/real picture).

Nobody needs to give the games a fair chance if they aren't sold by what we've seen. But the opposite is also true, you can't keep asking people to not buy the games or join your internet campaign when they aren't bothered by it. It is a children's game, if you like it buy it, if you don't then don't. I am sure there are other things in the world that you can spend money and time on and enjoy.
It's only been one week, and I have never done the things you speak of. Furthermore, this "internet campaign" that you try to paint in a bad light is what people actually do in order to spread information. The vast majority of people do not tune in to the latest Pokemon news within 24 hours of a new announcement. The longer fans make noise online, the more people who discover what has been changed, and the bigger chance that Nintendo takes note (because apparently GF doesn't care).

I will continue to express my negative opinion of Sword and Shield, and if you're upset by that then that's too bad. The only impressive thing about the graphics is the Wild Area's draw distance, and it's only impressive until you realize that it's just emptiness for as far as the eye can see. And I can't help but feel like the Pokemon fanbase is the only group in the video game industry that will happily accept such blatant mediocrity, as long as they get to keep Catching and Battling Pokemon in the most general of terms.

Last edited:

LordSerperior

It's only been one week, and I have never done the things you speak of. Furthermore, this "internet campaign" that you try to paint in a bad light is what people actually do in order to spread information. Not 100% of people tune in to the latest Pokemon news within 24 hours of a new announcement. The longer fans make noise online, the more people who discover what has been changed, and the bigger chance that GF (or Nintendo) listens.

I will continue to express my negative opinion of Sword and Shield, and if you're upset by that then that's too bad. The only impressive thing about the graphics is the Wild Area's draw distance, and it's only impressive until you realize that it's just emptiness for as far as the eye can see.
I don't care about any of that, everyone can do whatever campaigns they want as long as you stop trying to convince people who have made their decision to join them because you aren't changing anyone's mind.

I'll be enjoying playing my copies of Sw/Sh regardless of all of your objective and informative criticisms. I hope you enjoy yourself getting upset and complaining over a kids game on the internet. Peace!

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I don't care about any of that, everyone can do whatever campaigns they want as long as you stop trying to convince people who have made their decision to join them because you aren't changing anyone's mind.

I'll be enjoying playing my copies of Sw/Sh regardless of all of your objective and informative criticisms. I hope you enjoy yourself getting upset and complaining over a kids game on the internet. Peace!
I never started that, so there's nothing for me to stop? With all due respect, save your generalizations and Kids Game cliche's for someone else.

Last edited:

It's ok to criticize this game you know. Even if you would defend everything that Gamefreak craps on you.

TsengHyena

People need to stop acting like the Pokedex is all there is to Pokemon. For Pete's sake people, give it a chance. Just because it doesn't have everything doesn't mean what it does have isn't good.

This is absolutely true...if this was a spinoff game. Core games completely focus on the pokemon. Let's Go, Mystery Dungeon, etc the focus wasn't on the pokemon. To put this into perspective, in the Trading Card Game there are pokemon who haven't appeared in a set for 5+ years. Is that what is going to happen to the missing pokemon? It remains to be seen, Masuda is being silent on this.

Masuda hasn't came out and said whats in the game yet; but theres nothing to suggest it has any more than what Ultra Sun/Ultra Shield had...barring the pokemon.

Not everyone against the game is going to boycott it, but this is going to be a firm part of discussion of the game until the devs come out and give information that reassures people.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So I have a genuine question for people, lets say down the road we are like at generation 15 and there is something like 2000+ pokemon, would you guys still have this same expectation that all the pokemon must be in there no matter what??

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
So I have a genuine question for people, lets say down the road we are like at generation 15 and there is something like 2000+ pokemon, would you guys still have this same expectation that all the pokemon must be in there no matter what??
What I give people the right about complaining for National Dex is that the 1000(+) models obviously require a capable hardware to run smoothly and Switch already offers it.

If you also consider a generation usually last 3-4 years, it is inevitable the hardware will evolve so is the software and make everything possible, and easier, due to the mass growth of technology. If they start modeling the rest of the Pokémon now whether they will be present in SWSH or not, their work force will be as small as the roster of next generation.