• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

TsengHyena

Some people have attachments to Pokemon that they've used in earlier games.

No its not that, I mean, its possible to play through a new game, enjoy the story, region and new pokemon but also to then, do same with your old favourites. It takes nothing away from people who just like using the new ones.

JW1004

No its not that, I mean, its possible to play through a new game, enjoy the story, region and new pokemon but also to then, do same with your old favourites. It takes nothing away from people who just like using the new ones.
This! That's what I do always. I play the games with the new mons, and then sent over my team after a while, restart the game and have eggs with the offsprings of my old team and do a new journey with my old favourites. A while after that I sometimes just do a themed playthrough and have a mono type Ghost run or whatever.

Mhov

Until Pokemon Home releases everyone who buys the game will have to start fresh. Pokemon home will come a few months later and only then people can transfer Pokemon to S&S, if they are in the Galar dex.
XY had a similar situation. They released those on october 12th 2013 and Poké Transporter released on february 4th/5th 2014 in the West.
Sun and Moon also had a roughly 2 month period between the release of the game and the Pokebank update.
ORAS and USUM were connected to Pokebank from the start.
Before Pokebank transferring was part of the postgame and in gen 3 you are unable to trade Pokemon not in the regional dex to the game before you get the national dexes and of course you couldn't transfer from gen 2 to 3 anyway.

I feel comfortable in saying a fresh start with each generation is the standard and how most people experience the new generations, because that's how the releases are planned and how the games were designed.

Ariki

Until Pokemon Home releases everyone who buys the game will have to start fresh. Pokemon home will come a few months later and only then people can transfer Pokemon to S&S, if they are in the Galar dex.
XY had a similar situation. They released those on october 12th 2013 and Poké Transporter released on february 4th/5th 2014 in the West.
Sun and Moon also had a roughly 2 month period between the release of the game and the Pokebank update.
ORAS and USUM were connected to Pokebank from the start.
Before Pokebank transferring was part of the postgame and in gen 3 you are unable to trade Pokemon not in the regional dex to the game before you get the national dexes and of course you couldn't transfer from gen 2 to 3 anyway.

I feel comfortable in saying a fresh start with each generation is the standard and how most people experience the new generations, because that's how the releases are planned and how the games were designed.

The problem is that there is no option to use all your favourites after Pokemon Home releases for a new adventure if they’re not in the Galar dex.

Anyway, I think nintendo and game freak should allow a third party to develop pokemon rpg games as well that use the same mechanics as the core series games. a bit like Pokemon Colleseum. If they’re going for yearly releases now then a third party developed game would surely help with that goal and actually give game freak some downtime to focus on polishing and developing other titles in the development pipeline.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
How are people still arguing about this? You either don’t care and play the Pokémon game normally or you care and will Probably still play the game as you’re on a Pokémon page commenting on forums... I doubt you’re not going to play the game. And even if you boycott, I don’t think anyone cares anymore. This news was like so last week now people. I cared and now I don’t care, hopefully others can do the same for their own enjoyment and sanity.

I just want to see more new Pokémon!! And they should definitely start remaking colosseum and snap and those older gems that could use updates. Also especially stadium.

BCVM22

Why remake Colosseum or Stadium? There’s nothing those games provided that the Switch core titles do not, by their very nature. In a world where we have LGP/E and soon Sword and Shield, why do we need a console RPG title that was designed to be limited in scope and watered down in function, and a console title that existed for the sole purpose of being able to battle in polygonal models on a television?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Why remake Colosseum or Stadium? There’s nothing those games provided that the Switch core titles do not, by their very nature. In a world where we have LGP/E and soon Sword and Shield, why do we need a console RPG title that was designed to be limited in scope and watered down in function, and a console title that existed for the sole purpose of being able to battle in polygonal models on a television?
It will be the only way players can battle with the complete dex on the Switch.

BCVM22

That’s silly. “Sure, this game is limited, watered down, and replicates only a single purpose, but at least I can battle with my prized Jumpluff!”

For all the wailing some people do about having to pay full price for games (which are so frequently discounted, making it a suuuuuper reasonable complaint...), I would love to see the reaction when Nintendo tells you that you have to pay another $60 just for that

Colosseum/XD and Stadium were distant forerunners of the games we have now. There’s a reason they’re buried in the past.

Mhov

I haven't heard the news that S&S will have an announcer like Stadium or Battle Revolution, that would be fun.

Orphalesion

It will be the only way players can battle with the complete dex on the Switch.

But if they can put the models into a, theoretical, SWITCH remake of Stadium/Colosseum then they might as well patch them into Sword and Shield too...
The models and animations wouldn't be any easier to make just because they wouldn't be for a core title.

TsengHyena

But if they can put the models into a, theoretical, SWITCH remake of Stadium/Colosseum then they might as well patch them into Sword and Shield too...
The models and animations wouldn't be any easier to make just because they wouldn't be for a core title.

He's likely meaning the information about no future Pokemon Core series games having all of the pokemon. A Pokemon Colossum could be a compromise.

I don't think it would be any more watered down than Ultra Sun and Moon was.

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
So I have a genuine question for people, lets say down the road we are like at generation 15 and there is something like 2000+ pokemon, would you guys still have this same expectation that all the pokemon must be in there no matter what??

Yes, I would. The total number of pokemon isn't increasing as fast as people are worried it is. It took us 25 years to get to gen 8 and probably around 900 pokemon. And that's taking the fact that the first 5 generations had 100~150 pokemon in rather than the most recent 70~90 into account. At our current pace it will take us more than 50 years to double the number of pokemon to 2000.

50 years is enough for 8 more generations of consoles and GameFreak can easily have more than twice the budget in that time. Also note, that until now we've had major technological transitions from 2D sprites to 3D models and from handheld to console which required all the pokemon to be redesigned, but there is a limit to how far graphics are gonna get and we are close, so I can easily see them reusing Pokemon assets for multiple decades at one point.

I mean they have the right to be disappointed but not the irrational just absurdity that a lot of the comments I'm seeing everywhere seems to have.

I've seen a lot of people being like we can't catch them all anymore which is just wrong because they fail to take into account that Japan never had that slogan in mind and has never used it. That's just something that would added in the west which tbh, I haven't heard in years now from any official source.

Well, I've never been one to base my criticism around the slogan. I'm greatly annoyed by the cut regardless of what the slogan says and I don't find "But the slogan said all" to be the strongest argument in this discussion. And I think most people just use it as a meme rather than a genuine argument.

That said, it's not like some 3rd party group stole the original games and released them in the west sticking up an unofficial slogan against GF's wishes on the boxes. GF is equally responsible for the Japanese and English marketing of their games.

And people who accuse those who still want to buy the game of being mindless whales or fanbois who just slurp up everything with the Pokemon name on it are better....how exactly?

Look, I understand where you are coming from and I agree with a lot of the criticism and with a lot of your statements. Look in the thread I've said similar things to some of them myself (their excuses being ridiculous, for example, or that their management seems to be wonky)
But... again, ad much as I agree with you, the Dex issue doesn't affect my affect me or my enjoyment of the game, at all. So denying myself Sword or Shield just because it affects other people in some illusory, and doomed to fail, Grass-Roots movement to stick it to "the (Masuda)man", is ridiculous to me.
If they do something that makes me dislike the games strongly enough (such as turning them into MMOs or implementing a Real Time Battle System) then I will stop buying the games, but not before.

Yeah you're in the rights of saying that if this game is succesful GF might not see any reason to change, but grouping everybody who does buy them as mindless consumer drones is neither okay, nor will it win anybody over to your side.

I've never accused a random person or a generalised subsection of the fanbase as a mindless fanboy.

You can be a serious person with a mind and still either not notice or not care that GF's practices are becoming exceedingly more shady. You may have high standards in other respects and simply not care about the dexit issue. Hell, I've given GF a pass in some instances in the past, for example when I bought both Sun and Ultra Sun at full price, which are essentially 90% the same game because I didn't care - I wanted the new pokemon and I was willing to replay a slightly altered version of the story for $40. I knew that was a moneygrab but it was worth the value of my money at that point in time.

I totally understand that you may still want to buy Sword/Shield. Hell, with all my complaints, I will never deny I was looking forward to the Wild Area and Co-Op raids. When I say I'm not going to buy the games I'm 80% genuinely put off by the issues and 20% resisting checking out the new features. That could be vastly different for everyone.

All I'm saying, is if these games still sell, we might be more likely to never get all the pokemon in one game. GF is more likely to remove anything from future games. Breeding or abilities or held items could be next. So anyone who is actually buying the games that's cool, but do consider the consequences.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Umm, no? The animations for a battling game would just involve battle animations, no animations for Refresh, or contests, or amie, or wild pokémon interactions in the overworld, or whatever else it is that is actually taking GameFreak's time on these animations for Sword and Shield. The models they don't have to make, they're already there in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. And the battle animations they also already have in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Orphalesion

He's likely meaning the information about no future Pokemon Core series games having all of the pokemon. A Pokemon Colossum could be a compromise.

Yeah, but if we are at a point where they can create all the models to put them in a side game, the decision to not put them all into the core games would be absolutely bonkers.

I've never accused a random person or a generalised subsection of the fanbase as a mindless fanboy.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just about the mindset some Pokemon fans have right now, who do call people who want to buy the games such names. I should have been more clear about that. I wasn't really complainging about you, specifically (as I said, I agree with a lot of what you say) and more about a lot of the mud that gets flung around right now (from both sides of the debate... all that "but guyz Gamefreak worked really hard on this! Gotta support them!" rhetoric)

All I'm saying, is if these games still sell, we might be more likely to never get all the pokemon in one game. GF is more likely to remove anything from future games. Breeding or abilities or held items could be next. So anyone who is actually buying the games that's cool, but do consider the consequences.

I agree. I've seen that happen in a couple of Game Series I used to enjoy. The Sims, for example. My Favourite game as a child was Sims 2, Sims 3 removed everything about it I loved and the series hasn't improved (for me) ever since, in fact it has gotten worse and it's still selling like Candy. And the ridiculous debates in that fandom....
At least Gamefreak still has a bit of serious press, instead of doing it like EA and buying some youtubers with gifts and free trips to California to get them to praise every piece of dreck they cough up as "the best thing evar!!!"

As soon as they remove something I can't live without I'll be on your side, and that might still happen this generation (after all we don't know everything yet) but until then...well, might as well enjoy the dumpster fire.

Umm, no? The animations for a battling game would just involve battle animations, no animations for Refresh, or contests, or amie, or wild pokémon interactions in the overworld, or whatever else it is that is actually taking GameFreak's time on these animations for Sword and Shield. The models they don't have to make, they're already there in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. And the battle animations they also already have in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
Are we sure Refresh, contest or amie are still features?
And they could just make it so that not every Pokemon can be seen and have itneractions in the overworld, just the new ones and the "fan favourites". Still a better solution than excluding Pokemon completely.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Because you CAN'T TRANSFER YOUR FAVORITES.
What is so hard to understand about that.

Well, that's just the thing. None of us knows whether or not our favorites will make it in yet.

We don't know how large Sword and Shield's roster will be. We don't know which pokemon will be in that roster. You could end up having all of your favorites.

I won't even rule out other legenaries, because we've seen legendaries from previous games pop up since Gen 4. It could always happen again. I really do think we should just wait this out and see what the roster has in store. Once the full roster is leaked revealed, we can all make our decision.

One thing Gamexplain pointed out in a recent video is that the true issue to all of this is that Game Freak's communication is freakin' awful.

They should have predicted and been prepared for backlash. They should have made a separate video or a press conference explaining the decision, what all led to the decision, and what it means for future games. Instead, they simply dropped a bomb on us all.

While I still plan on enjoying Sword and Shield, I will say that I am definitely not pleased with the way Game Freak is handling this situation. Even the Japanese fans are furious. Give them some sort of closure.

Last edited:

Ulicies

Mild Monk
So I have a genuine question for people, lets say down the road we are like at generation 15 and there is something like 2000+ pokemon, would you guys still have this same expectation that all the pokemon must be in there no matter what??
About 75-85~ new Pokemon are created once every three years starting with Gen 6. Even if GF adds 100 new Pokemon every single generation, which they won't do, it would take another 20-30 YEARS to reach up to 2000. By that time? We'll have gone through so many innovations of hardware and technology, you better bet your buns I expect compatibility with every single 'Mon in 2040. In fact, we'll be on a whole new hardware set beyond Switch by Gen 9 alone.

I see it in pretty simple terms. If Sun/Moon on the 3DS could handle 800+ Pokemon, then Sword/Shield on a significantly more powerful machine should be able to handle 1000+ Pokemon. Nothing about the graphics or animations so far convinces me it was a worthy tradeoff. The Pokemon of Pokemon are the entire point to this franchise, and if GF had their priorities straight, instead of spreading themselves too thin with multiple gimmicks like Dynamaxing, Wild Areas, Pokemon Camping, the latest Contest-like gimmick, and god knows what all of the RotomPhone Photo Mode-esque gimmicks they're going to add, they would have gotten all of the Pokemon out of the way first and foremost before developing anything else about Gen 8.

Last edited:

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
Well, that's just the thing. None of us knows whether or not our favorites will make it in yet.

We don't know how large Sword and Shield's roster will be. We don't know which pokemon will be in that roster. You could end up having all of your favorites.

I won't even rule out other legendaries, because we've seen legendaries from previous games pop up since Gen 4. It could always happen again. I really do think we should just wait this out and see what the roster has in store. Once the full roster is leaked revealed, we can all make our decision.

There was this guy on reddit who polled 52000 people on what their favorite pokemon is. Each person was only allowed one vote, and only 4 pokemon ended up getting 0 votes. In fact, those 4 pokemon had evolutionary relatives that got some votes which supports the view that every pokemon is someone's favorite.

Now, the thing is, people don't just have one favorite. In reality, everyone has many pokemon they like or don't like so even if they only cut out like 20% of the pokemon, the majority of people are likely to have a favorite in that subset.

And even if we don't know the final roster it doesn't mean we cannot make educated guesses. i.e. I guess Unown will be cut because those are 26 models+animations for a single pokemon and they haven't been using Unown in any way for a while so I can see how it would be too much work for too little gain for GF to include.

TsengHyena

One thing Gamexplain pointed out in a recent video is that the true issue to all of this is that Game Freak's communication is freakin' awful.

This is the absolute biggest concern at the moment. If the press release was done properly, we wouldnt be arguing.