• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Zachery Keisler

Pokémon Master
Since World Hobby Fair has not revealed anything, it is safe to assume we won't get any new info until second or third week of July, and nothing until August after that.

Hopefully we will get most of the early route fodder in July, and don't end up with another Bunnelby situation in August(Bunnelby was revealed in August 2013 alongside Megas, you see).

I have a hypothesis to test. Today at the World Hobby Fair they manly showed all the information we have now about Pokémon Sword and Shield, but on the main Pokémon site in Japan they say new information about Sword and Shield would be given at the World Hobby Fair. I think they used today to recap what has been given already so tomorrow they can give the new information to end the event with a bang. This is just a hypothesis but it would be the best way for them to give us big information about the games to get the fans excited.

ArtFenix

If I were in charge of making Pokemon games, I would probably feel ashamed like hell that almost, if not, all other Nintendo first party AND second party games look and run much better on Switch. SwSh is not even comparable to most of those games in terms of visuals, performance and overall polish. It's especially weird to see this little care from them, considering they're Japanese and as far as I know, pride is not a foreign concept for Japanese people.

Last edited:

Phillies

Like I said before, I am seriously considering buying these games used. The only thing that could make me get them at launch is some new really awesome feature, like Mega Evolution or Ultra Beasts or Soaring from ORAS. How sad, all of those things got removed. This buggles my mind, GF keep removing things that overwhelming majority loves and introduce new things, most of which are sub-par at best. Why not just get the ideas from past games that are still loved and desired by many and make the best Pokemon game ever? But it's GF...

What is usually the time some big new features are announced for new games? August? September? Or Dynamax and the Wild Area is all we're getting this time? :D

I agree. Its hard for me to get interested in the new features when I know that they are just going to be removed in the next gen.

ArtFenix

I agree. Its hard for me to get interested in the new features when I know that they are just going to be removed in the next gen.
Yes and what's even worse is no Mega Evolution. I mean, many treat them like new Pokemon. They're at the very least new forms and they've been effectively erased from the games, because unlike forms like Giratina's Origin Form, Megas can't be stored in, well, Mega state, meaning there's no way to even look at them, not even in Pokemon Home (or Prison or whatever people call it), unless they create a viewer for every form ever created, which I doubt they will. It's GF we're talking about here.

BCVM22

As a person who usually doesn't use older Pokemon in new gen game, Masuds's statement really made me mad: "You could see the un added Pokemon in other games"? And what if some1 cant afford to buy ALL of their next games? Wow. Shows no respect towards the fans, nor to the un added Pokemon. I am really dissapointed of him

If you don’t use old Pokémon in new games, then why did his statement make you mad? Why did his statement make you mad at all? How is different available Pokémon across different games that any different than Generations III through VII?

This seems like taking the worst possible read of a statement and then getting mad at that.

Leonhart

Imagineer
BlackButterfree said:
Poor Porygon, Abra and Jynx fans, we all know those are the first families that are gonna get perma-scrapped.

I can't say that I'd miss those Pokemon, honestly. Although I do question if they'll even be excluded from Shield and Sword since they're all Gen I species and Game Freak seems to have first child favoritism syndrome when it comes to Gen I.

Nockturne

I can't say that I'd miss those Pokemon, honestly. Although I do question if they'll even be excluded from Shield and Sword since they're all Gen I species and Game Freak seems to have first child favoritism syndrome when it comes to Gen I.
Porygon, Jynx and Kadabra have all been involved in controversy which I think was the point being made. Its only really had an effect on the anime though, Porygon hasn't been in the anime since its banned episode, with its evos never appearing outside of "The World of Pokemon" openings for the movies, and Jynx and Kadabra haven't feature since 2006.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I actually love the idea of less pokemon since my hope we SwSh would be only new pokemon treating past handheld era as like legacy pokemon but this is fine too. I know it might not be a popular opinion but yeah. I would not be shocked if we only get a few Sinnoh pokemon assuming we get remakes net year but that is just me.

Porygon, Jynx and Kadabra have all been involved in controversy which I think was the point being made. Its only really had an effect on the anime though, Porygon hasn't been in the anime since its banned episode, with its evos never appearing outside of "The World of Pokemon" openings for the movies, and Jynx and Kadabra haven't feature since 2006.

Isn't this just a case of people being bored and complaining or being over sensitive? Like it would be like Trump fans saying Gumshoos is an insult to them and getting it banned.

Orphalesion

For instance did we really need a regional bird and rodent taking up 4-5 slots in EVERY regional dex? Did so many Unova Pokemon really need to be direct parallels of Pokemon already introduced in Kanto? Couldn't the obligatory Pika-clone dex slot have been taken by something more unique.? All personal opinion of course but I just feel that going into new gens there are too many "genres" of Pokemon we can guarantee we're gonna get, and the series could have done without that.

Oh I agree so much on that, especially now that the generations contain fewer Pokemon. Especially since these "traditions" seem to be piling up (varying a bit on who you talk to) do we really need a flying/normal bird, a normal rodent, a regional dog, a regional cat a Pikaclone that doesn't evovle a regional bug etc. etc. etc. Every single generation?
I'm alright with some of them when they change them up enough, but if it's something like yet another 3-stage Bug/Flying Butterfly in a generation with 75 Pokemon, I really question whether it's necessary.
Especially the Pikaclones imho....all of them are going to be always under Pikachu's shadow anyway, and they don't allow a single one of them to evolve.... why???

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Oh I agree so much on that, especially now that the generations contain fewer Pokemon. Especially since these "traditions" seem to be piling up (varying a bit on who you talk to) do we really need a flying/normal bird, a normal rodent, a regional dog, a regional cat a Pikaclone that doesn't evovle a regional bug etc. etc. etc. Every single generation?
I'm alright with some of them when they change them up enough, but if it's something like yet another 3-stage Bug/Flying Butterfly in a generation with 75 Pokemon, I really question whether it's necessary.
Especially the Pikaclones imho....all of them are going to be always under Pikachu's shadow anyway, and they don't allow a single one of them to evolve.... why???

Pichu evolves but I get it. I will say I like some of them over Pikachu but maybe I'm weird AF. My hope is we don't get an bird,rodent etc and maybe that is going to happen since normal they show them off early and so far we have not seen them. I'm guessing Corviknight is later on personally. Shaking this gen up would be great.

Zachery Keisler

Pokémon Master
As I was going back over the past few release I have noticed a trend. On June 30th each year a new gen was set to be released new information has been given about the new gen. For the release for Pokémon sun and moon we got a tone of new Pokémon and for the release of Pokémon x and y we got new Pokémon and a look at the first three gym leaders. This leads to the assumption that tomorrow we should also get a new set of information about Pokémon Sword and Shield. This goes back to a thought I had that they would end the World Hobby Fair with a bang of new information on the games to get fans excited and end June on a high.

Orphalesion

The problem I have is really the numbers with all the traditions. Some people propose that new generations should just be 50 Pokemon....but if all the traditions are kept, that would mean:

9 starters+ 3 legendaries in the regional trio + the 3 stage obligatory dragon pseudo + a 3 stage regional bug + a 3 stage regional bird + a 2 stage regional rodent + a 2 stage regional cat + a 2 stage regional cat + 1 Pika-clone (+ 4 fossil Pokemon if they are included).

That's 28-32 Pokemon that "have" to fill certain archetypes because of "traditions". If a generation was just 50 Pokemon that would leave only 18-22 Pokemon that could bring something entirely new to the table. Bad enough with Gen 6 and 7 already.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Having 110+ new Pokemon isn’t going to harm anyone. If you’re afraid you won’t remember them all then study better! Memorize em! It’s on you not the Pokemon!

(tl;dr Quality over quantity argument is bad and subjective!)

neo_senku

What's interesting to me is how good Town looks. The environments are high quality and the animations are dynamic, especially compared to SwSh. This whole situation just seems like Gamefreak is deliberately holding back on the games by cutting corners that don't need to be cut. It'd be understandable if the animations seen in E3 were much better than the 3DS era, but they look identical imo.
I was planning on skipping these from the get go, but I'm curious about any graphical improvements in future trailers.

Before this E3, i was hyped for SwSh and was very interested in Town, now however SwSh will be a used purchase and I no longer want to purchase town as I dont want Gamefreak to get a dime of my money.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Isn't this just a case of people being bored and complaining or being over sensitive? Like it would be like Trump fans saying Gumshoos is an insult to them and getting it banned.
You could make that argument for Jynx and Kadabra, but hundreds of kids were hospitalized because of the Porygon incident. I can understand why Nintendo has basically scrubbed Porygon from the anime, even if I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's completely necessary. It does have negative associations, especially in Japan. I think all the affected kids survived, but epileptic seizures can be fatal.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
You could make that argument for Jynx and Kadabra, but hundreds of kids were hospitalized because of the Porygon incident. I can understand why Nintendo has basically scrubbed Porygon from the anime, even if I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's completely necessary. It does have negative associations, especially in Japan. I think all the affected kids survived, but epileptic seizures can be fatal.

I mean it happened but shows still make 9/11 jokes and people actually died. Maybe japanese culture is just different but wasn't it Pikachu vs Team Rocket who actually made it happen? As far as I know Porygon was just the Pokemon of the Day so it could have ended up being any pokemon right?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
The problem I have is really the numbers with all the traditions. Some people propose that new generations should just be 50 Pokemon....but if all the traditions are kept, that would mean:

9 starters+ 3 legendaries in the regional trio + the 3 stage obligatory dragon pseudo + a 3 stage regional bug + a 3 stage regional bird + a 2 stage regional rodent + a 2 stage regional cat + a 2 stage regional cat + 1 Pika-clone (+ 4 fossil Pokemon if they are included).

That's 28-32 Pokemon that "have" to fill certain archetypes because of "traditions". If a generation was just 50 Pokemon that would leave only 18-22 Pokemon that could bring something entirely new to the table. Bad enough with Gen 6 and 7 already.

I think my bigger issue with recurring elements like those isn't that they exists, it's that they don't do enough with some of them to stand out. Some examples like Scolipede and Talonflame manage to stand out because despite being a recurring archetype, they do enough between each other and from the others that they manage to become popular and likeable Pokémon in their own right. Even some of the groups you mention like the Legendaries can have a good amount of variance among them, as you wouldn't say Zekrom is the same as Yveltal in any sense because they differ in design, concept, lore, typing, story, and everything else. So those are examples where it's fine to repeat a concept since you're using it as a base while still making it different enough to stand out.

But then you get to the ones that feel redundant, while there are things to love about examples like Vivillon, Beautify and Butterfree, the former two do heavily take from the concept Butterfree had and don't mix it up a lot. So it makes for some Pokémon that feel a little too similar to each other, and that really hurts how much they stand out from each other. More examples like Vikavolt would be better since then they can keep the recurring elements, but stand out with them, which is better then revisiting a concept and not doing enough with it so it falls flat.