• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Hmmm... as Joe said, nothing new from WHF event so far other than just a cute Galar fursuits show on the stage, how this count as "latest information", it's not even a recap information.

But it was cute so that's okay.
Probably at end of that film....that most generation's Pokemon will show up probably

Leonhart

Imagineer
PreschoolerFromNowhere said:
Hmmm... as Joe said, nothing new from WHF event so far other than just a cute Galar fursuits show on the stage, how this count as "latest information", it's not even a recap information.

But it was cute so that's okay.

It was a rather blatant promotional stunt to remind people that these games will be released in the fall. I wasn't really expecting anything major to begin with, but I was still a bit letdown that we didn't at least get new gameplay footage that showed a new area or two.

Orphalesion

On the "wolf in sheep clothes" thing... Is that even a concept in Japanese? Most proverb based Pokémon so far have been basedon Japanese concepts (Farfetch'd for example "a duck comes bearing green onions")
Not saying its impossible that a Pokémon would be based on a western proverb, but much less likely imho.

DMB1985

I find it funny that people are insulting the graphics when Pokemon has never looked better then in Sword and Shield. Each game on any council has their own style of graphics . Sorry Pokemon isn't made by Square Enix so you can have your photorealistic Pokemon. But hey if Pokemon was made by SE you'd get your wish of it being postponed.

I compare Pokemon graphics to those of Persona. Both are their own style, away from others and unique. Same with Animal Crossing on the Switch.

IDK why some people are expecting Pokemon to have the same graphics as a Breathe of the Wild or a Mario Odyssey. Two completely different styles of graphic art and design.

Of course Sword and Shield looks better than any other Pokémon game. That's the absolute bare minimum for a Pokémon game appearing on the Switch. That still doesn't make this game good enough graphically though. I don't think is expecting photorealistic graphics, or really want that in a Pokémon game. But we still expect the game to look as good as it can do and to the standards of a Switch game released in 2019 and not those of a weaker console from 2015.

And there's absolutely no reason why SwSh couldn't look as good as BoTW or Mario Odyssey. They might have different art styles but that's no excuse. If the relevant reousicres and attention applied then any game can look good whether that's the Persona art style or Zelda's. That's not the case here though. The character models generally look decent (though often weirdly shiny) but environmental elements are poor with low quality textures and models. This has nothing to do with art style and is instead clearly a result of the relevant resources not being in place to make this game look as good as it could on the Switch.

DannyDark

If they teamed up with Square we wouldn't get the games until at least 2024 :p

If I'm not mistaken wolves are pretty much the only large predators that live in England so it would make sense for there to be a lot of them in Galar. If Wooloo doesn't evolve into a wolf it would be a real missed opportunity if they don't have a wolf that acts as Wooloo's natural predator.

All our wild wolves died out a long time ago.. I believe there are plans to reintroduce wolves into Scotland but it's nowhere near being implemented yet.
Honestly, the UK doesn't really have any land predators.. our largest, wild land-based predator is probably the fox?

ArtFenix

Clearly XY and Sword and Shield are identical, yep, see no differences anywhere. I love when people put on their bias goggles lol.

Clearly no changes at all, 100 percent identical.
You're confusing resolution with models and lighting, which are pretty much the same between platforms.
You posted two screenshots of two different locations for what purpose exactly? When people say GF reuse stuff and don't make enough new, they're referring to Pokemon models and animations most of the time. What's the point in posting two screenshots of different locations in different games? What kind of comparison is that? :D Of corse they're different, SwSh aren't just remastered XY. Don't misinterpret what people actually have problems with. I sincerely hope you're not trolling with these kinds of "comparisons". If we're talking comparisons, why don't you compare SwSh to other Nintendo first party (or even second party) games? :)

Exaggerations and lies aren't gonna get people on your side.
Thing is, exaggerations aren't lies. They exist exactly to make a point more clear by exaggerating the issue.

Last edited:

Emelie

Bookworm
Mabye there isn't enough data to make Pokémon Sword and Shield look as good as Breath of the Wild. I always download my games digitally nowadays and both Pokémon games and Breath of the Wild are huge!

I had to buy a new memory card when I downloaded Breath of the Wild for the Wii U, so I can imagine that a game with both a large number of Pokémon and a huge open-world map would use up a lot of data.

Mabye there isn't enough data to make Pokémon Sword and Shield look as good as Breath of the Wild. I always download my games digitally nowadays and both Pokémon games and Breath of the Wild are huge!

I had to buy a new memory card when I downloaded Breath of the Wild for the Wii U, so I can imagine that a game with both a large number of Pokémon and a huge open-world map would use up a lot of data.

Bingo! Just because the Switch can handle a massive amount of data doesn't mean any one game should aim to fill it to capacity. I don't know about you but I don't want to have to buy a new SD card after every third game I buy.

Emelie

Bookworm
Bingo! Just because the Switch can handle a massive amount of data doesn't mean any one game should aim to fill it to capacity. I don't know about you but I don't want to have to buy a new SD card after every third game I buy.

Yeah, memory cards are kind of expensive. I can't buy physical copies any more because I live in a really small town with no video game stores. I suppose I could order them online but I like being able to play the new games I have been really excited about as soon as possible. Sometimes I even take a day off from work so I can play video games the same night they are released! :oops:

PreschoolerFromNowhere

For the Arceus sake, i just have some idea that could happen. What if our little cute corgi doggo and funny looking imp are set to be reveal more in next Corocoro and we have to wait until then? while you can say all gaps between each information are fine but it could turned out to be tje slowly information because we still don't know something more importent like legendary type yet, Blind play is fine but sometime you need more information in order to decide which version you want rather than just blindly buy both game.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
It's funny how now peoples claim about the "graphics" not being up to par when the first trailer came out everyone was celebrating it and praising the graphics. Oh the transparency of these claims.

This is comical. The first trailer does indeed look significantly better than the treehouse actual GAMEPLAY we got in terms of graphical quality. People noticing that doesn’t make their claims transparent at all, I’m deeply confused by this statement.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
It was a rather blatant promotional stunt to remind people that these games will be released in the fall. I wasn't really expecting anything major to begin with, but I was still a bit letdown that we didn't at least get new gameplay footage that showed a new area or two.

June's coverage is pretty much over.

Since there are only four months prior to November, however, perhaps we can expect new info every month up 'til release. I say just wait for mid July.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Storage/data isn't really an issue at all tbh.

3DS games had a max of 8gb on their cartridges, USUM only took up 3.6gb, and this is taking into account stale/leftover data that made no appearance in the games.(such as walking/running animations) That's not really much data required for each Pokemon, honestly, as most of that data would be taken up by the overworld/mechanics rather than the Pokemon themselves.

Switch games on the other hand, have a max of 64gb(iirc) on their cartridges. BotW is only 13.4 gb, and I believe this was when the maximum was 32gb? Not real sure here. Obviously with better animations,(as they promised) each Pokemon would take up more data, but it wouldn't be by a whole lot honestly.

Point is, data/storage is not and will likely never be the issue. If we reach 1500 Pokemon by the time gen 13 rolls around, we'll likely have a newer, more powerful console that can handle it all. The real problem is the time-frame and the amount of staff GF has working on Pokemon. They took a larger team to work on other projects and their smaller team took on SwSh and they had 3 years to accomplish this task. If they had a larger team or had an extra year to work on the games, I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be seeing this controversy or cuts to mechanics and Pokemon themselves. The fact they decided to do ALL of this on Pokemon's very first home console main series title drop was a colossal mistake to say the least.

Also, Dynamax is another thing that probably affected cuts as well, and I'm 99% sure that it was solely included to feature Raid Battles. Which, is not a bad thing as it introduces multiplayer aspects, but more angry fans are going to look at it as a waste because they're going to be seeing that it's a new one-time battle gimmick like Z-Moves/Megas that will likely not be built upon or improved in future titles.

tldr; storage/data isn't a problem for any of the issues being debated about heavily among the community right now, and any post suggesting this is the case should be disregarded.

Last edited:

DMB1985

Erron Black summed it up perfectly but size of the data won't be the issue. Whilst with the number of Pokémon - even with the cut - will increase the storage size required, the chances that it has increased it to the extent that graphical quality needs to be compromised is remote. What we're most likely seeing is the result of a company expanding it's ambitions to games beyond Pokémon but not growing the size of the staff to meet those ambitions. Game Freak have about 150 staff working across 2 (possibly 3) mainline Pokémon games, possible spin-offs and Town. That isn't enough staff to work on that many games without something having to give and when it comes to SwSh, the quality of graphics and animations are what have taken that hit.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Data size isn't the issue here. It's time and resources. BotW had twice as many people working on it as Game Freak has in the entire company and spent twice as long in development. Game Freak needs to learn that good console games take much more effort to make and their release schedule of having small teams work on games for 1-3 years just isn't going to work.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
You're confusing resolution with models and lighting, which are pretty much the same between platforms.
You posted two screenshots of two different locations for what purpose exactly? When people say GF reuse stuff and don't make enough new, they're referring to Pokemon models and animations most of the time. What's the point in posting two screenshots of different locations in different games? What kind of comparison is that? :D Of corse they're different, SwSh aren't just remastered XY. Don't misinterpret what people actually have problems with. I sincerely hope you're not trolling with these kinds of "comparisons". If we're talking comparisons, why don't you compare SwSh to other Nintendo first party (or even second party) games? :)

Thing is, exaggerations aren't lies. They exist exactly to make a point more clear by exaggerating the issue.

The point is to show that there are clearly differences in what the games look like on the 3ds vs on the switch. Everybody is saying that the games look old and worse then before which is BS. Also I showed the same locations in every pic. I showed a house from XY vs a house from sword and shield. I then compared a battle scene from XY, SM and then sword and shield.

This clearly shows that sword and shield look much better then past pokemon games so people need to quit saying they look the same or worse.

Also pokemon is not Zelda or Mario. The reason zelda and Mario can look like that is that they have significantly less characters they need to put into the game. Zelda had about 45 enemy animations while Mario had probably around the same or a bit more. If Zelda or Mario also had 800+ different monsters to fight in every game, trust me they would look no where as good.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Data size isn't the issue here. It's time and resources. BotW had twice as many people working on it as Game Freak has in the entire company and spent twice as long in development. Game Freak needs to learn that good console games take much more effort to make and their release schedule of having small teams work on games for 1-3 years just isn't going to work.
Basically this.

I'll excuse it for this one game, as I'm sure moving from handheld > console can be pretty hectic which likely resulted in their time mismanagement and poor planning, but this can definitely be used as a learning lesson for them. With all the backlash and upset this has caused, GameFreak would be really smart to go back and reconsider policies and time management for future titles to prevent such issues from occurring.

Not to mention with a console game, we don't need a new game yearly if they handle everything well in development. Just look at other Nintendo games, they can go 2+ years without a new title and people are still enveloped with the recent release.

Emelie

Bookworm
Hmmm... But if data isn't a problem mabye adding the remaining Pokémon as DLC is an option after all? Only time will tell.