• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
"It has been confirmed that the July 21st episode of the Japanese Variety Show, Pokénchi, will contain "the latest information" on Pokémon Sword & Shield. At present, it is not clear if this will be brand new information or if it will be a repeat of recently revealed information but we'll provide full details as and when they come"
Logically speaking, if this is not a recap, this should be our first Mythical, but it can be a random marketable Pokémon, like an Eeevelution, Gigantamax form of Pikachu or the regional Pikaclone.

PreschoolerFromNowhere

"It has been confirmed that the July 21st episode of the Japanese Variety Show, Pokénchi, will contain "the latest information" on Pokémon Sword & Shield. At present, it is not clear if this will be brand new information or if it will be a repeat of recently revealed information but we'll provide full details as and when they come"
Logically speaking, if this is not a recap, this should be our first Mythical, but it can be a random marketable Pokémon, like an Eeevelution, Gigantamax form of Pikachu or the regional Pikaclone.

I think it's going to be recap as always... i mean this show never get something major new after all...

...maybe Dusk Lycanroc but i can't remember if there's other new too...

Julia Artemis

So today I had an interesting thought why can't the old Mega evolution Pokemon just be rolled into normal evolution of the existing Pokemon. A lot of the Megas are of second stage Pokemon anyway so it wouldn't be that complicated also of they are three stage just replace the mega with the old version of Beedrill and just call it Galar Beedrill. I bet no one will care. Honestly this should happen.

BCVM22

That would be a huge change to certain Pokémon and would have ripple effects throughout the game. For some Pokémon would it be nearly impossible to implement, based on what stage they are and the level at which they've already evolved.

I'm all for returning Mega Evolution to the game someday (and I hope they will). That's definitely not the way to go about it. There doesn't really need to be any way to go about it beyond what it is - in-battle transformation triggered by a held item.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Guys there's nothing wrong with a mechanic being taken out for a gen or 2 and returned. Mega evolutions haven't been erased so they'll be back some time in the future.

Cradily17

Guys there's nothing wrong with a mechanic being taken out for a gen or 2 and returned. Mega evolutions haven't been erased so they'll be back some time in the future.
It's problematic because most of the time they're not brought back, and when they are, they're often made worse (Festival Plaza is a major downgrade from the PSS, Roto-Lotto is an inferior version of O-Powers with RNG, Rental Pokemon Battles in US/UM are a joke compared to the Battle Factory, etc.).

KKS-Lapras

Bro, I hate to disagree with you, but if Mega evolutions are removed from any upcoming games, it's a stupid move on GameFreak's part. That was a well received feature, that felt incomplete with the promise that as time went on more and more Pokemon would gain Mega evolutions. There are many people, myself included who would rather they expand on beloved features, then add new features which are hit and miss. I'm sure Dynmaxing and Gigantamaxing will be interesting, but they should not come at the expense of a past feature.

GameFreak more and more in recent generations has given off the vibe of when they introduce something that they see people respond positively to, they know the can save the incomplete aspects of it, such as for example the Gen 2 starter Mega evolutions, as if it's a get out of jail free card to be used on a rainy day down the line. What are we going to have to wait for, the 4th, 5th, or 6th time that Gold and Silver are remade, will they come with Let's Go to Johto Pikachu and Eevee, will they come in some spin off game, when? This is something, and GameFreak is not blind to this fact, that people actually want, long term Japanese fans want, go on Japanese forums, it's a common topic brought up.

Same thing with regional variants, it was a cool idea, that needs expanded upon with each new generation, not tossed aside.

Z-moves not returning, that makes a little bit more sense, because the consensus on that feature was much more mixed, by all audiences of the games.

FullFathomsFive

Leon's Charizard leaves me a fleeting hope that Mega forms will be rolled into Gigantamax, but I think the odds are slim.

For me, the issue with the removal of Mega Evolution is the fact that it takes an axe to the shins of Pokemon that GF tacitly admitted were suffering. Garchomp, Scizor and their ilk will be just fine but this is a downgrade to unfortunates such as Pinsir, Banette, Mawile etc. Only the split of the Special stat comes close in terms of actively making swathes of Pokemon worse, and it's some of the weakest species taking the biggest hit here.

Marzbar

Yes there is considering a "a gen or 2" would be 3-6 years.
AND the fact that is renders Pokemon like Beedrill, Banette, Pinsir, Ampharos, Heracross, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Medicham, Pidgeot, Manectric, Absol, Steelix, Sceptile, Swampert, Altaria, Sableye, Camerupt, Lopunny, Glalie, Audino, Gallade, Gardevoir, Aggron, Houndoom and Blastoise literally competitively unviable during that time where the mechanic is removed. But it's okay, it's "balancing" the game.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
AND the fact that is renders Pokemon like Beedrill, Banette, Pinsir, Ampharos, Heracross, Kangaskhan, Mawile, Medicham, Pidgeot, Manectric, Absol, Steelix, Sceptile, Swampert, Altaria, Sableye, Camerupt, Lopunny, Glalie, Audino, Gallade, Gardevoir, Aggron, Houndoom and Blastoise literally competitively unviable during that time where the mechanic is removed. But it's okay, it's "balancing" the game.
Let's be fair here, some of those (like Heracross and Swampert) are still viable in lower tiers.

And without Megas or Z-moves to compete with, and with at least some pokemon not available in Galar, we may well see some pokemon move up a tier.

CHETTHEFAN

Woah woah woah.

Sableye is a beast even without a mega. I have won so many matches on battle spot with just my little gem goblin. I just run him with mental herb. Prankster just makes him so fun.

Edit:though I do agree that they are taking away what elevated some of these pokemon to more "competitive heights" by tossing megas to the side.

Options are a powerful thing and by taking some away from players, it does make me sad.

Last edited:

amoebo

amoeboVGC
Wowee, I remember a time where everyone hated the idea of mega evolution- it was too digimon!

Mega pokemon being removed is perfectly okay because it now removes the requirement to have one on your team or risk being curbstomped by the other team in competitive or balancing the main story around the usage of mega evolution. I do agree however that the 1-stage or 2-stage pokemon should have their mega evolutions retconned to being actual full evolution, with lesser stats.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
However, that doesn't change the fact that some Pokemon, such as Beedrill, Kangaskhan, Mawile, and Pinsir, are completely non-viable without Megas, and Dynamax won't change that.
Assuming of course that they don't get stat buffs (yes, very unlikely that even if they do get stat buffs said buffs will be big enough, but its still a possibility).

FullFathomsFive

Mega pokemon being removed is perfectly okay because it now removes the requirement to have one on your team or risk being curbstomped by the other team in competitive or balancing the main story around the usage of mega evolution. I do agree however that the 1-stage or 2-stage pokemon should have their mega evolutions retconned to being actual full evolution, with lesser stats.

Eh, not sure I buy this - Megas are certainly powerful in their own right, but there's not actually anything that makes them mechanically superior to other Pokemon, and that's borne out by usage stats. There's an impression that they're sweeping behemoths because the defensive ones are heavily neutered by a lack of Leftovers, leaving the offensive-inclined species at the top of the pile. They're certainly no more unhealthy to the game than Landorus, Magearna, or Protean.

Last edited: