• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

DannyDark

If that's just for your purposes, then that's your prerogative. Find it rousing, don't find it rousing, whatever, but to single out one Pokémon out of several hundred and somehow lay solely at its feet the designation of "random and pointless" is, objectively, the very definition of arbitrary.

Fella, if you want me to list every Pokemon I find "random and pointless" I will do, with reasons behind each one, but I think you need to start reading the context behind forum posts. I posted about Cramorant and Polteageist.. because this is the SwSh General Discussion thread and they were revealed today, hence I was giving my thoughts, as many have, on these two particular Pokemon. I personally don't think it would be fitting to make my comment on Polteageist, and then go on to list my reasons for finding it random and pointless whilst cross-referencing it with all other Pokemon from other generations I find pointless; I gave reason enough for why I find it particularly pointless and if it's those particular reasons you disagree with then that's totally fine.

The reason I, as you put, "singled out" one Pokemon is because it was revealed today/yesterday and as such is one of the main things this thread is discussing right now.

Saddlers_End

I think I understand this feature correctly, but I thought it was awesome to see in the trailer that you could start a trade with someone and not have to sit in a waiting screen while you find a trade. Thought that was a good quality of life improvement in my opinion.

Edit: fixed some words :)

LordSerperior

Love Cramorant and its derpy expression. I find cormorants fascinating so I'm glad to see a Pokemon based on that. I'm indifferent about Polteageist. Didn't like its artwork but the in-game animations are cute.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I haven't really given my thought on the recent direct so here goes:

- Cramorant is my favorite of all the Pokemon revealed so far, along with the fish. Their derpiness is what charmed me. Polteageist is interesting but not surprising because it's kinda expected, just like Yamper.
- I love that the are so many options with customization now, especially for the guys. So glad that even eyebrows can be customized. Oh, and it appears we can get outfits similar to Gym Leaders, which is nice.
- I like that you can see more than one Pokemon in the Camp and see interaction between them. But all these movements really reminds me that they could've put following Pokemon...
- I have a love-hate relationship with the curry because I am a completionist-type gamer. In RPG games with cooking, I try to collect and cook every recipe available, so that's a really nice time waster for me.
- League Cards are cool. Love the fact that there some of them have autographs.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well, this topic has really exploded--here we go. Got a lot of stuff to reply to.

I just wanted to point out that, as a nonstandard battler, I have greatly enjoyed both of these trailers. I noticed the general idea is that one trailer was geared toward competitive battlers, while this recent Nintendo Direct one is aimed at people who want to enjoy the non-battling and immersion aspects. Me, I'm the type of person to battle to win, but I do it via unusual teams and using unusual methods that I craft myself. As a result, I'm drawn toward bizarre and bizarre-looking Pokémon, ones that the normal competitive players would brush aside. (And yes, the majority of the Pokémon I use online are in the NU tier.)

In other words, I am the Pokémon equivalent of a Johnny player. Since I create my Pokémon teams myself (and I sometimes theme them--I had a Generation IV team consisting entirely of small but fully-evolved Pokémon, for instance; I had an incomplete one themed on the Universal Horror characters in Generation VI; I intend to make one more for Generation VIII themed entirely on Pokémon based around cats), I'm interested in every detail of a Pokémon game. Character customization is included, considering a Pokémon game is a canvas to me.

Because a lot of people were kind of expecting more like more new pokémon, more new characters, Starter evolutions, version differences, Galarian forms, new Gigantamax forms, etc.

I’m also getting the feeling people expected the Pokémon segment to be longer due to the direct being 40 minutes long.

Eh, at least character customization feels more expanded on than it was in Sun & Moon!!

The thing is that, well, Pokémon fans are spoiled when it comes to getting so much information out before the game actually comes out. Most game series tend to be pretty secretive. I mean, the one time a Sonic game had much of its content revealed before release--that would be Sonic Generations, which was probably deliberate because its theme is references and nostalgia--people complained that there wasn't much left in the full game that surprised them.

And, though you probasbly already know, this is a Nintendo Direct, so Pokémon would only make up one small part of it, just as Pokémon fans are a minority of Nintendo fans who would watch the Direct. I guarantee there are just as many, if not more, who cared way more about the portions of the Direct pertaining to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Probably a lot who cared only about Animal Crossing: New Horizons too.

I feel the same way. They focus TOO much on other stuff like customization and camping etc... why not focus on the new Pokemon? I didnt like the designs

Because the Pokémon aren't the only things in the game. Pokémon games are about a lot of different features coming together.

I figured it out! Click on Alcriemie's garnish (so the strawberries, blueberries, etc.) That worked for me.

Yeah, I didn't discover that at all. Had to read that post to figure it out.

On the other hand, I realized the topping on your left is the "back button" and the one on your right is the "next button."

I don’t see why they haven’t revealed the Legendaries’ typings yet. That’s of the things I wanted to see in the Direct. Not sure why they need to continue keeping it so secretive?

I still suspect there is something about their types that tie into a mechanic, into the story, or into another Pokémon, and they'll reveal that when they reveal what they're tied into.

While I personally enjoyed todays news, I can see why there are fans that were let down/upset after this trailer. It was predominantly directed towards more casual fans.
  • The pokémon revealed were more weird/whimsical in nature, appealing more to collectors rather than competitive fans
  • It showed features that are either for aesthetics (customazition & alcremie forms) or more geared for roleplaying (pokémon camping), rather than battling

Well, there are a lot of weird/whimsical Pokémon used competitively too. Rotom is the one that comes to mind first. Throughout the history of competitive battling, I can also remember Tangrowth, Jellicent, Celesteela, Mega Sableye, Toxapex, Porygon2, Ludicolo, and Gastrodon off the top of my head. Some of them have since fallen off, but they all were up there for at least a while.

Though I'd bet Game Freak's gameplay team wants them all to be used a lot. It won't be possible, but the result is that the ones the competitive players find the most useful would be all across the board in terms of appearance.

Oh my lord, I decided to take a while to process the entire Direct.

I think I found one of my favorites for this generation. Cramorant looks so doofy looking, I love it so much. It's definitely to end up on my team, probably more likely than Corviknight. My tastes in Pokemon have always been a bit unconventional, so I understand if this is a bit of an unpopular opinion. But just look at it! Not to mention that its ability is super useful in a casual playthrough, I just gotta hope that it can learn Surf naturally or that when I can catch it I'll have the TM for Surf at that time.

Heh, same here. When so many people were bashing the Vanillite and Litwick lines for being based on inanimate objects, I found them awesome.

So let me see if I understand you... in the same paragraph you say that the people that think the new features are great or awesome have rose colored glasses on and you claim that YOUR opinion is the realistic one overshadowing ours.

Yeah that's not how it works around here, nice try though. Your opinion is not the majority by any means.

This is a common line of thought among cynics and other such bitter people. The "it sucks, it's not that great" opinion is considered the realistic one, while the "I like it, this is great" opinion is the idealistic or the sheeple one. Not considered is that it's fully possible for it to be the other way around too. The Twilight books and movies are a good example of a pop culture franchise where the "it sucks, it's not that great" opinion is the sheeple one, who collectively suffocate the people who genuinely like them.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Dunno what to make of the bird, it's suuuuper basic looking and its ability feels gimmicky.

It's a heron, they are like this in regards to anything that goes down their gizzard and they are pretty strange for water birds anyways.

SurrealistSmeargle

It's a heron, they are like this in regards to anything that goes down their gizzard and they are pretty strange for water birds anyways.
Apologies for being overtly picky, but it is very much not a heron. It's a cormormant (hence the name), a diving seabird that is in a completely different order of birds to the wading, typically more fresh-water bird that is a heron. They are indeed pretty weird birds though. That said, I would very much like to see a heron pokemon. It saddens me we don't have more stalk/crane/heron type pokemon. The closest we get is Doduo, but it's much more of an emu/ostrich in terms of its general features.

Like Wulava and LordSerperior, I love Cramorant. Slightly gormless looking pokemon are always some of my favourites (here's looking at you Scraggy) and cormorants are such captivating birds that I'm really glad we're finally getting a pokemon based on one. Though I doubt it will evolve, I could see them giving us another Pelican-like pokemon, or perhaps an Albatross as a more fitting evolution, that maintains the same gimmick. But alas, they don't tend to like to straddle gimmicks across a whole evolution line, so I expect it'll stay as is. It's definitely going on my non-Sobble team though.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Apologies for being overtly picky, but it is very much not a heron. It's a cormormant (hence the name), a diving seabird that is in a completely different order of birds to the wading, typically more fresh-water bird that is a heron. They are indeed pretty weird birds though. That said, I would very much like to see a heron pokemon. It saddens me we don't have more stalk/crane/heron type pokemon. The closest we get is Doduo, but it's much more of an emu/ostrich in terms of its general features.

Like Wulava and LordSerperior, I love Cramorant. Slightly gormless looking pokemon are always some of my favourites (here's looking at you Scraggy) and cormorants are such captivating birds that I'm really glad we're finally getting a pokemon based on one. Though I doubt it will evolve, I could see them giving us another Pelican-like pokemon, or perhaps an Albatross as a more fitting evolution, that maintains the same gimmick. But alas, they don't tend to like to straddle gimmicks across a whole evolution line, so I expect it'll stay as is. It's definitely going on my non-Sobble team though.

Well... I was wrong. BUT its still a long necked bird that swallows fishes whole and really, unusual bird pokemon can still be fun to use. Especially for a mono water team.

Ultra Beast Lover

XD Did you guys see the Onix near the boutique? I keep forgetting how small they actually are. Like they aren't people sized but they also aren't too big to fit in a city.

Anyways, I wonder what else can be done in the camp? Do fainted Pokemon sleep while the others watch over it? Do frozen Pokemon get stuck in a block of ice while other Pokemon try warming it up? The fact that our Pokemon can be friends can lead to a lot of interesting interactions. Do Zangoose and Seviper need to be constantly separated by the others? Are there interesting parent/child interactions? I wonder how legendaries will act. I'm really excited for this feature

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
And why does every Ghost Pokémon have to be purple? It’s officially called “the black tea Pokémon” so why isn’t it black?? Can non humanoid black tea not have blackface? Never seen purple tea before. It’s silly. And childish too, looking at its facial features.
Purple tea exists. It is a very rare type that is found in Kenya.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer

I love Cramorant, but I have to agree that it doesn’t really seem like a Heron. I’m no expert, but I researched herons for a fakemon design and they’re more similar to cranes & ibises than anything. Plus, if we did get a Heron pokémon, I think it would be better off as a Flying/Dark type since they’re such vicious predators in real life.

I could see Cramorant evolving into a Heron though since the beak’s a little similar. Granted, it’s based on a cormorant’s beak, but it’s still possible since we had a seagull evolve into a pelican & a pigeon evolve into a pheasant

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
Really liking what they showed off in this Direct. Camping seems like an expansion of the concepts introduced in PokemonAmie/Refresh which I am all for. As a mostly casual player these days having more side activities to do is always good to see.

As for Cramorant and Polteageist....they're cute. Enough said.

JohnLynch

I find myself coming to the site hoping to hear that Game Freak has announced something about expanding the Pokédex, and instead of enjoying what information is released, I’m instead disappointed about what ISN’T announced.

A very sad turn of events :( It’s Gen 3 all over again.

I find myself coming to the site hoping to hear that Game Freak has announced something about expanding the Pokédex, and instead of enjoying what information is released, I’m instead disappointed about what ISN’T announced.

A very sad turn of events :( It’s Gen 3 all over again.

No, it's not. They're not erasing your old Pokemon from existence; they're just making you wait a bit longer to transfer them.

As for your other point, you actually did a good job of explaining why you don't need to be so upset. Face it, the National Dex is NOT coming back. You don't have to be happy about it but sitting around moping about it isn't going to accomplish anything. If all you care about is what ISN'T in the games you miss out on countless awesome things that are in them.