• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Eternalfalcon

Unova champion
It is rather worrying about autosaving not being able to potentially soft-reset or it potential being a issue where you can only save at certain parts of the game I always hate it when games don't allow you to save anywhere within reason of course, it makes it so hard to When you have somewhere important to be either you have to lose all your progress or you miss your train or flight or whatever it is, and usually you loose your progress as people aren't stupid enough to miss a train for pokemon, I guess the switch fixes that issue a tad with it being portable, but it's still a issue if that person for whatever reason can't take their switch with them

DannyDark

Yeah the only comment I have regarding auto-save is that it's a weird feature for Pokemon.
As long as you're not in a battle or dialogue, Pokemon has always allowed you to save whenever and wherever you want, as many times as you want. It's really not a feature that's especially needed and, to my knowledge, not one particularly asked for in the slightest?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Some people do want it, going by some comments I've seen via Youtube. Figuring they're more casual fans and/or aren't used to Pokemon's save system. So they don't save and lose their save.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It is rather worrying about autosaving not being able to potentially soft-reset or it potential being a issue where you can only save at certain parts of the game I always hate it when games don't allow you to save anywhere within reason of course, it makes it so hard to When you have somewhere important to be either you have to lose all your progress or you miss your train or flight or whatever it is, and usually you loose your progress as people aren't stupid enough to miss a train for pokemon, I guess the switch fixes that issue a tad with it being portable, but it's still a issue if that person for whatever reason can't take their switch with them
We saw the pause menu and it appears that there is a save option, so the player can still save manually.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
We saw the pause menu and it appears that there is a save option, so the player can still save manually.
Now the only issue is whether the auto save over rides that save.

Julia Artemis

Also I'm pretty sure autosave will most likely be an option you can turn off like battle animations. I don't see why they'd make that mandatory.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
While your correct in that they are a minority of Go fans, do you have any numbers on how many Lets Go players are Go players?

No, but considering the sales for LG were about the same as other games, it probably wasn't much.

And your claim they won’t buy any future games is quite dubious. People rarely complete video games. Doesn’t stop them from buying them.

It's one thing not to complete them. It's another to completely struggle with the basic mechanics. Usually in the case of the latter, they lose all interest in the game and aren't interested in buying the next one.

They don't, but they probably want more money. That's really all there is to it.

Of course, everyone wants more money. Problem is, that they're just chasing a trend without really stopping to analyze whether or not it would really fit with the series core identity. You saw this issue a lot, for example, with mascot platformers in the early 2000s. The industry started losing interest in 3D mascot platformers and started making more gritty FPS games, so the developers of the mascot platformers started making their mascots edgier (prime example being Shadow the Hedgehog), and in most cases it failed spectacularly because gritty shooters simply didn't fit with the series core identity. Similarly, Game Freak is chasing after the mobile market because it's trendy, but the mobile market has no real interest in the main series games and all Game Freak's pandering towards that market is doing is pissing off existing fans.

Professional reviewers. From what I can gathe,r it's the same as the journalists who go to events like E3, PAX, Toyko Game Show, and so forth in that, due to the nature of their job, they have to play many, many games continuously throughout the year and can't really spend much time with any one game unless they get a real personal attachment to it (upon which they, well, play it during their non-working hours). There were many complaints from fans of Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled, for example, in that the reviewers, if they had videos of it, were playing poorly; this is most certainly because that game has a boost mechanic that requires weeks, if not months, to get right, but the reviewers have likely only played for a day or two at most, and, unsurprisingly, they had little to no grasp of that boosting mechanic.

That's what I think is happening with reviews of Let's Go. If they're played by people who are into RPGs, they may not have played any Pokémon games for more than a day or two, or they may not have played them at all. Let's Go provides a simplified experience, with stripped down mechanics. It is, to use something probably cliché by now, Baby's First Pokémon Game, which meshes well with a number of these reviewers working for magazines, websites, and general entertainment publications (the last of which may by the ONLY person on staff who plays video games). I've also seen a bunch of reviews from people who hadn't played since Generation I, and it seems to have appealed to them quite well, with praising of the "traditional mechanics" and "going back to its roots."

The divide between professional reviewers and user reviewers is pretty stark on Metacritic; the professional score is 79 out of 100, while the user score is a harsher 6.1 out of 10. The score breakdown is also different between them, with a roughly 3:1 ratio of positive-to-mixed with no negative reviews at all (5 out of 10 is the lowest it gets) while user reviews are about 1:1 between positive and outright negative.

Again, what reviews are you looking at? Most reviewers I've seen tend to have some interest or familiarity in the game, and you really need that to accurately assess the game and especially how it stacks up compared to other games. That's not the reason they're rating it highly.

It's not so much as "giving the rest the middle finger" as much as I don't think Game Freak is aware that gaming culture is different outside of Japan compared to what's within Japan. That is, it might be that their apprehension of releasing expansive DLC is not because Japanese players don't care, but they might think nobody cares. This is a mistake even big megacorporations make when selling things to foreign markets: They assume everywhere else functions just like them.

A good example is pizza in China. Dairy is rarely used in Chinese cuisine, and a lot of people in China, subsequently, never built up lactose tolerance. The result is that cheese is indigestible for many Chinese, at least in earlier decades. In addition, tomatoes are rarely used too, which are seen as weird and offputting there. Bread is the most familiar of the core parts of a pizza, but that is considered a novelty food. As a result, pizza would have a hard time succeeding in China. Pizza Hut pulled it off by sending people there to do culinary research for a year, with Pizza Hut's bigwigs accepting their findings no matter how weird it is. Pizza Hut's Chinese menu is drastically different from what you might expect pizza to be like, with toppings like corn and/or roast duck, and with the options to replace the cheese with mayonnaise or (regular) tofu and the sauce with familiar Chinese sauces like hoisin sauce or char siu glaze. (They also apparently quite like Thousand Island dressing for the sauce.) By adapting pizza to Chinese tastes, Pizza Hut has since become a part of Chinese culture, and domestic chains soon popped up. On the flip side, Domino's fell for that fallacy of "What the locals like must be what the world likes" and sold their pizzas completely unchanged. Domino's never found an audience in China--criticism of Dominos quality aside, very few were willing to even try it, and it has had minimal presence in China since.

(Or, for a simpler pizza-based example, Americans thoroughly reject frutti di mare pizza despite it being one of the staples of its home country of Italy.)

Game Freak can't claim this kind of ignorance as an excuse. They established way back in 2017 when they first teased this game that they were doing research on message boards like this one to see what people wanted. Beyond that, they also work very closely with Nintendo, who has over 2 decades of experience with modern 3D console gaming and is much better at appealing to international audiences. Game Freak probably knows exactly what we want, they're just too lazy/incompetent/cash-grabby to bother giving it to us.

JohnLynch

No, but considering the sales for LG were about the same as other games, it probably wasn't much.
At least you admit to just making up stuff that supports your argument. I can't argue against you of course. Because I also dont have any numbers. But at least stop there and dont simply assume whatever works best for the case I'm presenting.

all Game Freak's pandering towards that market is doing is pissing off existing fans.
Again. That doesnt make sense. These annoyed fans bought Ultra Sun which was a rehash of the game they bought the year before and then in the same numbers bought Let's Go. If we assume 99% of Let's Go purchases were mainline fans, how annoyed could they have been?

Game Freak can't claim this kind of ignorance as an excuse. They established way back in 2017 when they first teased this game that they were doing research on message boards like this one to see what people wanted. Beyond that, they also work very closely with Nintendo, who has over 2 decades of experience with modern 3D console gaming and is much better at appealing to international audiences. Game Freak probably knows exactly what we want, they're just too lazy/incompetent/cash-grabby to bother giving it to us.
That's certainly one conclusion you could reach. Another is your highly specific demands arent universal. Another is that while GF did research online, they weighted it against other research.

Will you be buying Sword? Given they arent going open world and that is the only way you can enjoy a new pokemon game I'm assuming no. But I thought I would check.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
At least you admit to just making up stuff that supports your argument. I can't argue against you of course. Because I also dont have any numbers. But at least stop there and dont simply assume whatever works best for the case I'm presenting.

I'm not "making up stuff", I'm estimating based on total sales. Even 1% of the Go audience would be good for a few million sales, but we didn't even see that much of an increase. You don't really need the numbers to prove this, since Go's audience is FAR larger than the average Pokemon game, if LG was successful in bringing in Go fans, LGPE's sales would be noticeably higher than other games. Like, 15-20 million, maybe more. Obviously it didn't quite reach those heights, so it's safe to say it didn't quite have an effect.

Again. That doesnt make sense. These annoyed fans bought Ultra Sun which was a rehash of the game they bought the year before and then in the same numbers bought Let's Go. If we assume 99% of Let's Go purchases were mainline fans, how annoyed could they have been?

Actually USUM still saw a decrease from SM, so obviously people did get annoyed. As for LGPE, 99% may not be accurate. That's where the lack of numbers on old fans vs. new fans matters.

JohnLynch

Actually USUM still saw a decrease from SM, so obviously people did get annoyed.
Not true. Yellow sold less than red and blue. Crystal with gold and silver. Emerald with ruby and sapphire, etc, etc. USUM’s sales are quite comparable to B2W2 which would indicate no annoyance.

if LG was successful in bringing in Go fans, LGPE's sales would be noticeably higher than other games.
Again, more assumptions. Let’s Go was on new hardware, so we don’t know how many mainline fans picked it up vs holding out on a new Mainline game. Forum research would indicate many did, which means Let’s Go’s sales should have been lower then USUM, not 2 million higher. We also don’t know how many mainline fans skipped it due to the game changing core mechanics. We also don’t know how many skipped it because they had no interest in yet another visit to Kanto.

So you can proudly sit there on your throne of assumptions. But without any facts to support you, your conclusions are by no means sound.

I’ll ask you again: Will you be buying Sword? Given they arent going open world and that is the only way you can enjoy a new pokemon game I'm assuming no. But I thought I would check.

Ning

An optional auto save would be amazing. There’s been many games where I’ve made multiple hour progress and then something happens and the system gets turned off without saving.

Whoops, there goes 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. And I so rarely go back and play the game again when I have to redo everything.

While I doubt it’d be a feature you can’t turn off, it’s impossible to have an educated opinion on it until we see if the reasons for soft resetting will still exist in SwSh.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
An optional auto save would be amazing. There’s been many games where I’ve made multiple hour progress and then something happens and the system gets turned off without saving.

Whoops, there goes 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. And I so rarely go back and play the game again when I have to redo everything.

While I doubt it’d be a feature you can’t turn off, it’s impossible to have an educated opinion on it until we see if the reasons for soft resetting will still exist in SwSh.
For that, sure. Lost some saves on my Vita recently due to corruption, so auto saving would be nice.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Now the only issue is whether the auto save over rides that save.
One other thing I will add is that in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, they took out Mr. Resetti's traditional role, since the game will always autosave which prevents lost data.

What does this do with Pokemon? Well, if you think about it, why would they have a manual save if data was never really lost?
I still think (if the autosave is actually there) it will function similarly to DQXIS.

ShadowForce720

Anyone else notice that the birds are Flying/Steel and Flying/Water instead of Steel/Flying and Water/Flying? I like this. Sure, they did it with Noivern, but its nice to see it catching on and letting Flying be a primary type instead of being stuck as only a secondary type.

Not only that but it also means that if either of them are the regional bird that would mean that the regional bird isn't going to be Normal/Flying for the millionth time. Of course it is possible that we just haven't seen the regional bird yet. Also am I the only here that is surprised that we still haven't seen the regional rodent, bug, and bird(if Corviknight, or Cramorant aren't it) yet?

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I do hope Corviknight is the regional bird and just has one or two pre evolutions we can get early on. Also I love the idea of introducing the final evo first because then if people don't like the design of the pre evolutions they can just evolve them to get Corviknight.

World Turtle

Not only that but it also means that if either of them are the regional bird that would mean that the regional bird isn't going to be Normal/Flying for the millionth time. Of course it is possible that we just haven't seen the regional bird yet. Also am I the only here that is surprised that we still haven't seen the regional rodent, bug, and bird(if Corviknight, or Cramorant aren't it) yet?

I do lean towards Corviknight if only because Cramorant looks more like something we'd find along the coast or near a lake. Not on the first Route of the region.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
But, soft-resetting is not used only for Pokémon natures or avenging a battle against rivals. The loopholes can be quite disturbing for players such as:
  • Feeding wrong curry, thus wrong EV distribution (if any/assumption).
  • Money issues: Unlike other series, you can't farm money by catching/knocking out Pokémon.
  • Accidental release of your own Pokémon.
  • Accidental use of items that are hard to obtain (Bottle Caps) and so forth.
Whereas auto-save feature for Smash or Zelda is pretty much understandable, since you only progress one step each or the game allows you to farm/obtain the stuff you use in regular basis. Pokémon doesn't offer you that privilege, unfortunately.

A major thing is that Pokémon games are about accumulation of power through quantity and through chance. Even when speaking strictly of RPGs, most other games don't allow you to just recruit any non-unique character you want, JRPGs less so because they're more likely to have a fixed party. In those games, auto-saving is no big deal, because either you do the things the game wants you to do, or you either die or are sent back somewhere for you to try again. Only Mons games, like Pokémon, Shin Megami Tensei, Monster Rancher, and Yo-kai Watch have a high potential to be set back via auto-save.

Of course, everyone wants more money. Problem is, that they're just chasing a trend without really stopping to analyze whether or not it would really fit with the series core identity. You saw this issue a lot, for example, with mascot platformers in the early 2000s. The industry started losing interest in 3D mascot platformers and started making more gritty FPS games, so the developers of the mascot platformers started making their mascots edgier (prime example being Shadow the Hedgehog), and in most cases it failed spectacularly because gritty shooters simply didn't fit with the series core identity. Similarly, Game Freak is chasing after the mobile market because it's trendy, but the mobile market has no real interest in the main series games and all Game Freak's pandering towards that market is doing is pissing off existing fans.

Games like Pokémon Trozei!, Pokémon Channel, Hey You, Pikachu!, and Magikarp Splash don't really fit with the Pokémon core identity either. I don't think it's ever been that much of a concern, as long as the game has a particular look and remains family-friendly.

Again, what reviews are you looking at? Most reviewers I've seen tend to have some interest or familiarity in the game, and you really need that to accurately assess the game and especially how it stacks up compared to other games. That's not the reason they're rating it highly.

There's a reason I used Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled as an example. It's a recent game that requires more than a rudimentary knowledge of the series to play competently. The game has a high learning curve, which it expects you to overcome pretty early on, namely the use of accumulated drifting and finding ways to launch yourself into the air to gain boost power. Boosting also, perhaps counterintuitively, allows you to perform better steering. All of the racetracks are designed such that once you're good enough at it, you can boost continuously, and this is the way the game was meant to be played.

What did the reviewers do? They didn't boost, they didn't even know how to drift, and they cruised through the racetracks rather slowly. They bumped into walls or fell off the tracks left and right. They used their items haphazardly and failed to use the shortcuts. It got so bad that GameSpot found someone who played the previous Crash Team Racing games and had them play, called "We Sent Our Best." The difference was like night and day. That player finished the race in half the time the other reviewers did, and he left in the dust the computer players everyone else was struggling with. No, he did not review the game. He was busy with other things.

That's the thing about professional reviewers. They've been assigned so many games that they can't really play any of them in much detail before deadlines force them to start another game.

For the record, here are some excerpts from reviews of Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu:

"It's true that Pokemon GO's influence has had a profound impact on some of the franchise's core gameplay features in Let's Go, but honestly, many of these changes are for the better....By streamlining many elements that made past Pokemon games frustrating, Pokemon Let's Go successfully delivers a faster-paced Pokemon adventure, even though it has some missteps here and there." - Dalton Cooper, Game Rant

"No, Let's Go is not the mainline entry that EV/IV min-maxers hoped for, but that's still on the way. If you happen to miss this return to Kanto, that's perfectly fine, but I was mostly delighted to go back." - Chris Carter, Destructoid

"The mix feels just right and leaves plenty for long-term fans to get their teeth into without overcomplicating anything for new players. A balance which the game manages to maintain in all of its various features and mechanics." - Review at Metro

"While we’d urge any seasoned fans of the series to think of the main story as a more chilled out version of games gone by, there are still plenty of things to get stuck into...The games cater to people of all experience levels nicely, and players can play the game at the level which they choose, ignoring aspects which don’t appeal to them...[A]s a result, these new titles really do offer something for everyone, which can't always be said of the mainline Pokémon entries." - Ryan Craddock, Nintendo Life

"Pokémon: Let’s Go’s nostalgic charm and interactive gameplay will have both newcomers and returning trainers hooked as they explore the beloved Kanto region...If you’re looking for a refreshing take on the Pokémon RPG, then this one may keep you invested until you catch ’em all. It probably won’t take long though." - Jake Durasamy, The Sixth Axis

"What is essentially a remake of Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow is revitalised with some brave mechanical innovations that do away with series staples while remaining true to the core formula. Very little has been dumbed down in the process, and franchise veterans needn’t worry about the removal of features once thought integral to the experience...[T]his is the Pokémon RPG we’ve come to expect from the past two decades, albeit with a few welcome twists and turns along the way. The turn-based battle system is nothing new – and, arguably, a little stale at this point." - Jade King, Trusted Reviews

"The new catching mechanics are a welcome change to the formula that breaks up the pace of traditional trainer and Gym battles. Although catching wild Pokemon doesn’t require as much strategy as it did before, the act of catching is far more engaging...[This game] makes a lot of smart improvements on the original Red, Blue and Yellow while holding on to what made them so special in the first place. Fans of the series might be let down by the lack of features they've come to expect, but Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee take the Pokemon formula in some exciting new directions." - Jake Dekker, GameSpot

"(I)f you thought this was somehow a neutered Pokémon game to induct newbies then that couldn’t be farther from the truth...Overall, Pokémon: Let’s Go is definitely something fans of Pokémon will have fun with and will also be familiar to newer players who have enjoyed Pokémon GO." - Ollie Barder, Forbes

"[O]verall the game is a pleasure to play, a breezy RPG packed with beauty and charm that will bring older players back to the series’ beginning while recruiting a new generation that will ensure Pokemon’s future. So much of my favorite childhood media just doesn’t hold up to my modern tastes and I have no real interest in using some form of emulator to relive the original Pokemon Red/Blue’s archaic gameplay. Let’s Go brings back the warm memories and blends them with a satisfying new experience." - Samantha Nelson, The Escapist

"The feeling of amassing a giant collection of monsters and customizing your team never gets old, and the timeless turn-based combat is still fun to this day...A fun stroll down memory lane for hardcore fans, and a strong entry point to the series for newcomers." - Brian Shea, Game Informer

"Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee felt like a breath of fresh air. By going back to its humble beginnings and reinventing its wheel, Pokémon felt like a nostalgic blast to play, with so many new elements waiting to be explored." - Darryn Bonthuys, Critical Hit

"Pokémon: Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee has had dozens of small changes from the original generation, or the other mainline Pokémon games, but honestly, none of those changes feel negative. Nothing I’ve played in Pokémon: Let’s Go has made me wish for something the older games gave me. Everything here is, well, great. Built for a purpose. Enjoyable. And it hasn’t made me long for a more traditional style of Pokémon game at all...Pokémon on Nintendo Switch isn't just a Pokémon GO companion piece, it's a fantastic RPG in its own right, and with any luck, will spawn its own series of Pokémon games for the future. A great Pokémon game for veterans and newcomers." - Dave Aubrey, WCCF Tech

"Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! are an amazing glimpse into what a console version of the “core” Pokemon games will look like...There’s a part of me that prefers catching Pokemon like this, and there wasn’t a point that this game felt monotonous, which is more than I can say about the other games in the series, despite my love for them. Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! is a powerful example of what Pokemon can and should be like on a console, and I’d love to see the best elements of this title get rolled into the next evolution of the series." - Benjamin Maltbie, Cheat Code Central

Oh, they definitely can. Capcom still does this all the time with its fighting games, releasing new editions physically while either not having digital versions at all or providing disadvantages to doing so. Namco-Bandai too, to an extent. Square still relentlessly puts out updated Kingdom Hearts re-releases without having some expansion be available. (Remember Kingdom Hearts 2.8: A Fragmentary Passage, which came out not long before Kingdom Hearts III?)

I get it though. You don't like Pokémon GO, and you don't like Pokémon Let's Go. I'm not too fond of them either, but I'm not going to hate on people who do genuinely like them, nor am I going to hate on Game Freak for making Let's Go.

I don't think we've seen any early-game Pokémon besides the starters and likely Galarian Zigzagoon. Most of the known Pokémon come across to me as mid-game or late-game Pokémon, or at least evolved versions of early-game Pokémon.

Corviknight is probably something you'll see early on but can only catch later, like with the Gogoats in Lumiose City or getting Tauros Ride near the beginning of the Alola games despite Tauros only being catchable in the mid-game.