• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I don't know if they were referred to as such but absolutely.

Alolan Vulpix Line - Alolan Sandshrew Line
Oddish Line - Bellsprout Line
Mantine - Skarmory
Lunatone - Solrock
Sableye - Mawile
Glameow Line - Stunky Line
Gothita Line - Solosis Line
Skrelp Line - Clauncher Line
Buzzwole - Pheromosa
Personally, I’m not 100% convinced that Farfetch’d & Ponyta are specifically each other’s version counterparts since they don’t have any common or polar opposite traits like the ones in the examples (except for the fact that they’re from Kanto).

If I had to guess, Farfetch’d’s counterpart is either a bulky dragon or a fighting type that has something implying a big shield to go with Sirfetch’d’s knight & lance influences. In contrast, Ponyta’s counterpart will probably be a horse (or horse-like animal) that’s more of a physical attacker & speed since Rapidash will most likely have a high special attack and defense.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Personally, I’m not 100% convinced that Farfetch’d & Ponyta are specifically each other’s version counterparts since they don’t have any common or polar opposite traits like the ones in the examples (except for the fact that they’re from Kanto).

If I had to guess, Farfetch’d’s counterpart is either a bulky dragon or a fighting type that has something implying a big shield to go with Sirfetch’d’s knight & lance influences. In contrast, Ponyta’s counterpart will probably be a horse (or horse-like animal) that’s more of a physical attacker & speed since Rapidash will most likely have a high special attack and defense.

Yeah I agree, I was saying this before Ponyta being version exclusive was confirmed (as @SpiritSkye correctly predicted that G-Ponyta would be version exclusive)
I think the G-ponyta line could be Sheild exclusive, to balance the last reveal being sword exclusive but I don’t think it’s SirFetch’d’s counterpart.

SirFetch’d is an evolution to an old Pokémon whereas the G-ponyta line is something else ( we need more info about Galarian ponyta) as far as we know it’s a new form for ponyta and rapidash, if it were the counterpart that would be incredibly imbalanced as sword gets a new Pokémon but shield doesn't.

Yeah but I think that also they'd both have a counterpart in the other game that was the same thing as they are ( regional evolution or regional variations ) like if they revealed Buzzwole then Alolan Vulpix. both are version exclusives but they aren't counterparts to each other.

But how/when can we officially know whether Ponyta and Farfetch'd are each other's counterparts?

I'd assume that we wouldn't know till launch (or a datamined early copy) as we'd see whether or they have other counterparts, I mean I guess they are counterparts in terms of reveals, but we'd see if they have other counterparts in terms of similar version exclusives.

Zachmac

Galarian Ponyta's description says that it absorbs life energy from the surrounding atmosphere, and that when there's a lot of that energy around, that its mane will sparkle and glow.

I have a theory that Ponyta in lore will have to absorb a certain amount of life energy before it can evolve into a fairy-type Rapidash with a mane that always glows. That seems like the sort of thing GF might do.

Or maybe they just didn't want it to be weak to poison. I guess only time will tell.

DaijobuPlease

The way I see it is that Knights (Swords and Shields) road horses and I just think of a monty python spoof of the horse rebelling against the knights. Or going on unicorns being hard to find theme knights and people have been searching for them but only pure of heart knights have been able to ride a pegasus or unicorn or whatever (ie Fire Emblem). At least thats my thinking theme wise and counterparts per-say. THE horses are SICK OF BEING RIDDEN ITS TIME TO REBEL!

Paige712

Why why is it not fairy!! God damn it my brain just can't comprehend it. It's a unicorn and lives in a fairy forest. I just argh! "brain glitches"

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I know it’s next Wednesday, but does anyone know what time the GF anniversary stream starts?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Why why is it not fairy!! God damn it my brain just can't comprehend it. It's a unicorn and lives in a fairy forest. I just argh! "brain glitches"
Hopefully Lockstin & Gnoggin or Bird Keeper Toby will make a theory video explaining why Ponyta’s a Psychic type.

I’m fine with the typing & I understand the reasoning from a design aspect, but I’m a little confused when looking at Ponyta’s lore. A unicorn whose mane glows from absorbing the forest’s life energy just screams Fairy type to me.

I know it’s next Wednesday, but does anyone know what time the GF anniversary stream starts?
Wait, there’s an anniversary stream next week?!

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty

Ironically the stat line of the base form of Rapidash is more that of a frailish physical attacker. The stats of the potential G-Rapidash will definitely need more than the minor stat tweaking the Alolan forms got if is going for the defensive special attacker route.

Saddlers_End

Wait, there’s an anniversary stream next week?!

IIRC the 30th anniversary stream on the 16th will showcase Town, Giga Wrecker Alt, and their "Gear Project System." The tweet that the information is from does not explicitly say that they will go over Sword/Shield, though I sure do hope they do.

Edit: As for what time it happens, I do not believe that has been announced yet. The information I was just looking at only said that it was happening on October 16th. I might be missing something though

Giblie

Dragon Pokemon Fan
As much I was little disappointed on the Pshychic type, I will still be using it. I do have some Psychic types that I do like. I just hope Galarian Rapidash will get a secondary type.

And a bit disappointing that it is version exclusive since I wanted Shield, but my sister wants Sword. (We do not have separate Switches and I don't like that you pretty much have to pay money to be able to trade.) We will figure out how she can get one.

I do love the official ar though! Can't wait to see the whole pokedex so I can finally plan out my team.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
Ok so I’m super late to the party as I’ve been at work sooooo forgive me:
Wow. Psychic type for Ponyta? That’s pretty crazy. Still love the design tho. In fact may even use it (even tho I’m getting Sword) as before I was going to use Impidimp instead of it as I thought it was a fairy type. But now I can use them both :) I hope it gets another ability tho. Or run away changes upon evolution...
Also, LOVE the way Glimwood Tangle looks. Even after staring at it for almost 24 hours, it is so pretty. Reminds me of a nighttime Pandora.
As to the sobble interview, I find it interesting and exciting that James Turner said he likes Sobble’s evolutions’ designs.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Something that's worth pointing out is the motif that exists by combining these new Pokemon. Knights often jousted on horseback, so Sirfetch'd and Galarian Ponyta are kind of like a complete package deal in that regard.

Also, for those of you who may not know, there's a bit of a pun inherent in one of Galarian Ponyta's defining features. The Japanese term for a horse's mane is たてがみ, which can be broken down to mean several things. And, well... たて is actually the word for shield. (The がみ can mean "high class" or "graceful", which kind of makes sense.)

Ultra Beast Lover

Eh I'm ok with it, it's weird but we did always think a unicorn Pokemon would be psychic. It's not like Ponyta will be weak, either, it just has 1 extra weakness.

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I definitely didn’t see the Psychic type or the version-exclusivity to Shield coming for Galarian Ponyta. I’ll just add it to the amassing list of reasons for buying the Shield version over Sword! Even though it is a version-exclusive Pokémon like Sirfetch’d was, I am still doubting that they are counterparts to one another. The lines are too different to me, not just in typing but also evolutionary stages. I feel like there are more version-exclusive regional variants to come.

Marzbar

I started watching at 9 am, had it playing through the day watching it and ended up falling asleep at 2:30 am.

Sure not much happened, but I thought it was exciting listening to it and waiting for what would happen next.

Each their own.
It could have been done better. A lot better. Nobody was praising it this much during the actual boring stream. Everybody is praising it in hindsight because they’ve forgotten how painfully uneventful it was.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
So I'm watching Game Informer's 101 Rapid-Fire video for Sword & Shield, and the revelations are just astounding. Just popping off a few:

- Dynamax forms are visual projections of a pokemon, rather than an actual transformation.
- Pokémon games are (as of recent years) designed so players can play the games as easily or difficult as they choose, which is why a difficulty option has not been added.
- Random encounters occur both in and outside of the Wild Area.
- Despite Team Yell, Marnie herself is not a villain.
- Pokémon Sword & Shield is considered by Game Freak the most difficult game they have ever produced.
- (at least as of right now) Starters will never be any primary type other than Grass, Fire, or Water.
- It is confirmed that pokemon are just barely sentient beings.
- Junichi Masuda doubts Game Freak will ever produce another IP for Nintendo ever again.

You can watch the video below. It's pretty neat. I don't know if it's the editing, but Masuda and Ohmori are pretty brutally honest. lol

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So I'm watching Game Informer's 101 Rapid-Fire video for Sword & Shield, and the revelations are just astounding. Just popping off a few:

- Dynamax forms are visual projections of a pokemon, rather than an actual transformation.
- Pokémon games are (as of recent years) designed so players can play the games as easily or difficult as they choose, which is why a difficulty option has not been added.
- Random encounters occur both in and outside of the Wild Area.
- Despite Team Yell, Marnie herself is not a villain.
- Pokémon Sword & Shield is considered by Game Freak the most difficult game they have ever produced.
- (at least as of right now) Starters will never be any primary type other than Grass, Fire, or Water.
- It is confirmed that pokemon are just barely sentient beings.
- Junichi Masuda doubts Game Freak will ever produce another IP for Nintendo ever again.

You can watch the video below. It's pretty neat. I don't know if it's the editing, but Masuda and Ohmori are pretty brutally honest. lol

Yeah, we've seen that already. Though I'm not sure the devs were being completely honest with some of the answers they gave.