• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Where did you find this? I’ve only been able to find the front cover when looking up the art book.

Also, I had no idea that Cramorant was that small, or possibly that Sirfetch’d is bigger than I initially thought

From PokéXperto. Here is the rest of the image, featuring a seemingly surprised; wide-eye open Rolycoly:

ISFBjJ.png

Is it the perspective or is he gulping Sirfetch'd's shield?

It seems to be gulping given its nature to swallow anything according to what its reveal trailer stated.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
That is absolutely precious! I especially love the depiction of Polteageist and Rolycoly. I hope we get to experience this playful side of other Pokemon using the Camping feature.

axelme

you know..im trying to figure out why generation 1 gets so much love and i really can't. i know it's the first one but there are so many pokemon from other generations that need attention badly.( i have said it multiple times already but corcola getting looked over in alola still annoys me). i think what bothers people is that with mega evolution they really payed attention to multiple generations. you had ampharos and altaria and audino, gyarados as examples and thats 4 generations represented.

i know that every game tries to introduce something new now but i will never understand why old gimmicks have to get ignored. not to use it as an example because its anime has turned into a flaming pile of garbage but yugioh doesnt just discard old elements for new ones. yes new mechanics get the spotlight but old mechanics continue to get attention. pokemon should be the same way

and i for one dont understand why megas are being ignored. as far as i know it was a pretty popular mechanic yet they flat out ignore it now. whats more insulting here is that in this generation this gigantomaxing is just a lazy and pathetic combination of mega evolution and z moves. better to expand on mega evolution than just rip it off and give iot a new name. then again at least mega evolution changed the pokemon in a noticeable way. gigantomax forms appear lazy and uninspired. like..gigantomax pikachu is a giant, fat pikachu with a glowing tail and fart clouds. real inspired. not

i just cant help but feel that these games are going to be disappointing. i mean, i expect them to sell but i wouldnt be surprised if they were one of the less succesful games

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That is absolutely precious! I especially love the depiction of Polteageist and Rolycoly. I hope we get to experience this playful side of other Pokemon using the Camping feature.
Same here. Looking forward to the camping feature. It seems so fun and adorable.

mozao

this wasn't in my horoscope
I'll be short about the news: I haven't been this disappointed in a long time. and that's coming from someone who doesn't like complaining about the series or GF. I'm not even in the mood for discussions anymore... at the very least, Gigantamax Butterfree is a saving grace

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
Cramorant, lol. From Galar Art Book, back cover:

NZbVjE.png

From PokéXperto. Here is the rest of the image, featuring a seemingly surprised; wide-eye open Rolycoly:

ISFBjJ.png

It seems to be gulping given its nature to swallow anything according to what its reveal trailer stated.
That is so cute! <3
I love everything about that picture, but especially Cramorant trying to eat Sirfetch’d’s shield, Sirfetch’d being totally chill (or amused, haha), and Polteageist being like “Oh no, Cramorant wait!” XD

Thanks for sharing! I definitely would have missed this otherwise, with my luck lol

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Honestly, I don't mind the typing. I just don't like it when somebody dismisses more modern interpretations in favour of old ones. Because, imho, something being new doesn't make it less valid. And well... those "traditional" interpretations used to new and modern at one point as well. The very first, or if you will "original" and "traditional" account of unicorns doesn't make any mention of the horn being a cure. It was only centuries later that the healing powers of the horn were thought up.

"Traditional" means nothing in cases like that.

I mean it's like saying only music from the Renaissance is good and everything after that has no right to exist.

I think a counterargument to this is that, in a way, a mythological creature is the "property" of the culture that created it, and that should be respected as much as possible. Obviously unicorns don't exist, and so a discussion about what the most accurate depiction of a unicorn is is fundamentally fallacious to begin with (I think this is partially your point, correct me if I'm wrong). However, I think in the context of fantasy media, such a discussion might actually be warranted in the same way that if I were to, say, make a fanfiction about Pokemon, I should try to be as accurate to the source material as possible purely out of respect. The debate here is exactly what the source material is, and in many cases that's tough to determine because a lot of mythological creatures such as unicorns don't have a clear-cut origin.

Say I wanted to determine the origin of a Pokemon, well, that's easy. TPC owns the rights to Pokemon and are, for most intents and purposes, the original creator of said Pokemon, so any media or literature produced by TPC can be said to be the most accurate depiction of what a specific Pokemon is. If I were to make a Pokemon fan-fiction, and decided that Arcanine is a Fairy-type for the purposes of my fan-fiction, I think most people would agree the original Fire-type Arcanine is "more accurate" (for lack of a better term) than my Fairy-type one, despite the fact that Arcanine doesn't exist and my interpretation of it is objectively as valid as TPC's. There's a somewhat less objective component here as well.

The trouble with unicorns and other mythological creatures is that they don't have such clear-cut origins, often being passed down by oral folklore for generations, and often being amalgamations of a number of other different mythological creatures. I think the unicorn is a bad example for that reason, but in a case where a clear-cut historical origin can be identified, or in cases where the majority of historical accounts share the same traits, I think those interpretations can be said to be more valid than modern interpretations of such concepts.

Orphalesion

Makes me kinda wonder what (if anything) Rainbownita and Rolycoly are looking up at that makes Rainbownita so happy and Rolycoly so surprised/shocked....

I think a counterargument to this is that, in a way, a mythological creature is the "property" of the culture that created it, and that should be respected as much as possible. Obviously unicorns don't exist, and so a discussion about what the most accurate depiction of a unicorn is is fundamentally fallacious to begin with (I think this is partially your point, correct me if I'm wrong). However, I think in the context of fantasy media, such a discussion might actually be warranted in the same way that if I were to, say, make a fanfiction about Pokemon, I should try to be as accurate to the source material as possible purely out of respect. The debate here is exactly what the source material is, and in many cases that's tough to determine because a lot of mythological creatures such as unicorns don't have a clear-cut origin.

Say I wanted to determine the origin of a Pokemon, well, that's easy. TPC owns the rights to Pokemon and are, for most intents and purposes, the original creator of said Pokemon, so any media or literature produced by TPC can be said to be the most accurate depiction of what a specific Pokemon is. If I were to make a Pokemon fan-fiction, and decided that Arcanine is a Fairy-type for the purposes of my fan-fiction, I think most people would agree the original Fire-type Arcanine is "more accurate" (for lack of a better term) than my Fairy-type one, despite the fact that Arcanine doesn't exist and my interpretation of it is objectively as valid as TPC's. There's a somewhat less objective component here as well.

The trouble with unicorns and other mythological creatures is that they don't have such clear-cut origins, often being passed down by oral folklore for generations, and often being amalgamations of a number of other different mythological creatures. I think the unicorn is a bad example for that reason, but in a case where a clear-cut historical origin can be identified, or in cases where the majority of historical accounts share the same traits, I think those interpretations can be said to be more valid than modern interpretations of such concepts.

I still kinda disagree with this, since folklore lives through reinterpretation and all and everything changed through the centuries, so we shouldn't stop adding to or changing lore now. But I can see what you mean

But even so, as you said, unicorns are a bad example, they don't "belong" to any set era or culture and their "lore" (which was always pretty sparse, actually, until the 19th/2oth century) was never quite codified in the way let's say the Baku was. So in a way the "fairy-like" unicorn that appears for example in Peter S. Beagle's "Last Unicorn" that fights dragons and tends nature and lives in a Lilac Forest has more and more clearly defined lore than the Renaissance Unicorn.
And even if we applied it to the unicorn, then Gamefreak should have used the very first depiction of them; the ancient Greek one that gave them elephant feet and a several feet long horn that had multiple colours. That unicorn had no healing properties (and healing powers are again an aspect of the modern fey unicorn, Medieval unicorns need to be killed so that their horn can become medicine) and would fit a fierce fighting type more than a psychic or fairy type.

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Can anyone translate the character on Gigantimax Meowth's coin?
If you think it's anything meaningful, you're out of luck. Although I've always been terrible at deciphering calligraphic kana and kanji, I have a hunch it's nothing more than a flourish or scrawl, perhaps that of a Poke-world symbol at most. The designers were probably going for something visually similar to the "prosperity" character (or something like that) one might see on the classic "fortune-beckoning cat" motif upon which Meowth was originally based.

Edit: I was beat to the punch, haha. "Big" would make sense... and upon closer inspection, it is a possibility. But it's not as obvious as Fire Blast's.

Last edited:

Frostfall

A bunch of gigatimax pokemon. Joy. I don't really enjoy the concept and was hoping something else was in the news. That being said, I can see the meowth being useful to farm more coins if it's something you could do on a regular basis. Don't really love the long cat form. They missed out on some cool possibilities but that seems to be a defining theme for this generation.
Charizard is cool, but I liked the dual mega evolutions better. The glowing is a nice touch but these would all be better without the floating red poops. Eevee and Pikachu. Hmm, I'll be getting the eevee since that's the version of Let's Go I've got. I'm just not sure how useful its ability will be in game and don't know if I'll end up using it.

Also @WhiteBlair Thanks for posting that art, it's adorable! Now, off to find the artist's page so I can peruse more art!

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
A bunch of gigatimax pokemon. Joy. I don't really enjoy the concept and was hoping something else was in the news. That being said, I can see the meowth being useful to farm more coins if it's something you could do on a regular basis. Don't really love the long cat form. They missed out on some cool possibilities but that seems to be a defining theme for this generation.
Charizard is cool, but I liked the dual mega evolutions better. The glowing is a nice touch but these would all be better without the floating red poops. Eevee and Pikachu. Hmm, I'll be getting the eevee since that's the version of Let's Go I've got. I'm just not sure how useful its ability will be in game and don't know if I'll end up using it.

Also @WhiteBlair Thanks for posting that art, it's adorable! Now, off to find the artist's page so I can peruse more art!
Sadly the only places where Dynamaxing is confirmed to be possible are the Gyms, Max Raids and battles with other players (the latter two which don’t give out prize money). There is the possibility of the Pokémon League for money farming but is not really realistic to “waste” your opportunity to Dynamax/Gigantamax on a Pokemon that is potential dead weight in a battle.

Zachmac

I really like Gigantamax Meowth. It's a perfect blend of silly and intimidating, which really suits it considering the pokemon's most iconic role is as a goofy anime villain.

Also I just realized I won't be able to Ggantamax my shiny Charizard because I didn't catch it in a raid. Whelp.

Anyway as far as "cool" pokemon go, its worth noting its usually the base forms that get shown first, and those are generally cuter by nature. For all we know third stage Wooloo is going to be a badass mountain ram.

pikamilk

I don't mind the Kanto love THAT much - it's just that the same Pokemon getting new forms is just... uninspiring to me. But I also happen not to be a huge fan of most of the fan favourties I guess... I personally despise Charizard lol.

But it's the fact that the latest reveals / updates have been all about Kanto Pokemon that kinda irks me... the latest Youtube video has already 14k dislikes (41k likes) so I hope that sends a message to them at least. It almost feels like a Kanto remake with this month's updates while we already have Let's Go P / E already which features the same Pokemon pretty much.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
This will be the lowest selling, worst received Pokemon game to date. The whole hype cycle has proven to be quite disastrous and the game itself looks far from competition. Who thought it was a good idea to remove Megas in place with gigantamax? Why is this even an idea to begin with? No one likes it and it completely trivializes Pokemon battling. Honestly, game freak has made it clear that they don't care about this franchise anymore. Therefore, I'm done with this franchise as well

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Who thought it was a good idea to remove Megas in place with gigantamax?
Unless there's a hold item wasting a slot somewhere, Dynamax opens the element of surprise in a battle, unlike how predictable it was for people to bring a Mawile into battle. Of course it's not going to stay as a Mawile. Meanwhile, Z-Crystals are discontinued since Dynamax turns all of the Dynamaxed Pokemon's moves into different ones for the price of one cheap transformation sequence, instead of arbitrarily forcing players to bring a Z-Crystal to use for one or two moves in a game where the four-move syndrome limits potential for some Pokemon who could REALLY use more than four moves to shine.