• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The games will not flop, It's Pokemon. That's the whole point, They don't need to worry about criticism. They can put in the bare minimum and make maximum profits. I'm not saying they strive for this but with an issue like the national dex that could've been solved by a little outsourcing It kind of shows this point.

I think you and many others are forgetting that even with the TPC partnership with Nintendo, Game Freak is still an indie developer.

The tens of billions of dollars reeled in by the Pokémon franchise is spread out across now four major entities, those within The Pokémon Company (Nintendo, Game Freak, Creatures) and Niantic. Niantic is currently making the most of this money, as they are the majority holder of Pokémon GO, the title generating the most revenue. Creatures is next in line, as they govern a great portion of The Pokémon Company, the second biggest revenue mill for the franchise. Third is Nintendo, the licensing head for Pokémon's international publishing. Naturally, they get a hefty chunk of revenue from it.

That leaves Game Freak, the Japanese indie developer that develops main series games and takes in the majority revenue from it. As had been already expressed, the main series games generate only a fraction of the franchise's revenue. Thus, folks need to stop thinking Game Freak has all this money to blow. They don't.

The issue is time constraint. They are bound to the flow of TPC, having to constantly dish out titles to keep the franchise moving accordingly, and it's stressing them out. As Junichi Masuda recently stated, he doubts Game Freak will ever make another IP for Nintendo ever again. I can see why.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
The issue is time constraint. They are bound to the flow of TPC, having to constantly dish out titles to keep the franchise moving accordingly, and it's stressing them out. As Junichi Masuda recently stated, he doubts Game Freak will ever make another IP for Nintendo ever again. I can see why.

I really wish there was a way to give them a break. They need a year in between these games, it's not fair to the workers otherwise. People usually wait longer than a year for most games, so it'd make sense.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I really wish there was a way to give them a break. They need a year in between these games, it's not fair to the workers otherwise. People usually wait longer than a year for most games, so it'd make sense.
I think after SwSh release there will be a break of about a year and a half where the developers plan out a follow up game without feeling too much pressure since the new games seem to have so much content in them to keep us busy for quite sometime.

Kingudora

My favourite
Depending on how it works that new anime might give them that break. If it features all regions they can spend considerable time on it.
Yeah, there is definitely lot of wiggle room for the writers there to make a longer series and take their time.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think after SwSh release there will be a break of about a year and a half where the developers plan out a follow up game without feeling too much pressure since the new games seem to have so much content in them to keep us busy for quite sometime.

If you think there won't be a game released in 2020 you are sorely mistaken.

Gen 8 is already set. It's Gen 9 we have to worry about now.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Honestly, despite the way the news has been released I'm still hyped. I get that it's frustrating for people but I think that the fact that they haven't shown us too much in the way of story and characters might be a good sign. It could mean that the characters do some big, important story stuff. Also, Gamefreak might've seen that we figured out a good number of things regarding the twists in SuMo/USUM via the trailer and decided to show as little as possible in terms of characters. I'm just happy they aren't showing us important cutscenes like last time, it kinda ruined the experience for me because I now knew what was about to happen.

This hype season has been rough but it will be nice to not know every detail about the game, and maybe run into a pokemon I haven't seen before(assuming it doesnt get datamined).
That’s actually what really excites me about these games. This is the first time since Ruby & Sapphire (and to a lesser extent Diamond & Pearl) where I didn’t know everything that was going to happen or know all of the Pokémon that would be featured. I haven’t had this kind of a surprise factor since I was a kid & now I can’t wait to actually be surprised by what Sword & Shield has to offer.

What they need is an "Orange Islands" or "Battle Frontier" For a Year. So they don't have to worry about sending out a game for the new season/region
Yeah, but with the way TPC’s production cycle is now and the push for a new game every year, I can see Game Freak using that time to release either Sinnoh remakes or Let’s Go Johto

Lilligantastic

"On the way to Magnolia’s location, I encounter seven different Pokémon in the wild. While I can’t say any of the creatures aside from Yamper, I love how different Pokémon appear in the tall grass through random encounters than do as creatures that roam in the environment. "

This is very promising. 7 new Pokemon including Yamper on a single early route. (I mean maybe they're not all new, but the fact that they say they can't talk about them suggests they are.)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
To be honest, I'm starting to get on board with the lack of a National Dex.

I've realized that having on a regional dex brings a whole new aura of mystery and excitement to the games. Before, we would only be looking out for what new 'mons were coming to the next gen. Now we don't know which pokemon are coming. It's exciting!

I'm just as geeked to find out which old 'mons are getting in as which new ones, and since there are nearly a thousand pokemon to choose from, the suspense will be high with every game.

Naturally, much like any fighting game, we can expect stalwarts like Pikachu, Charizard, and Eevee to be in every Pokémon game, with Mewtwo and Lucario being secondary contenders. After that, it's anyone's game!

I'll never forget how excited I was to find Aegislash in the Dynamax Camera. I want that feeling of excitement to stay with me.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
4chan trashes everything, that's their thing. /vp/ was hating absolutely every aspect of SwSh even before the dexit was announced, back when everyone else was over the moon about the new games. They are not a parameter.
But on the other side, regard the outcry as a "single lamb crying" is to underestimate it way too much.

SwSh will be a comercial success, no doubt. It may not sell as much as the previous entries, but that is to be expected since it is made for a home console (not everyone can afford a Switch, while a cheaper handheld and cheaper games are much more accessible), but will still sell millions and has zero chances of ending as a financial loss. The public in general is unbothered and excited, the pokémon dedicated boards are not a good sample of the general public. But that doesn't mean those games can't end up as a flop by Pokémon standards.

Even if the "hardcore" fans are just a small percentage of the millions that usually buy the games and the merch, they are still the loyal part of the public. The rest is made of rotating parents and kids that outgrow the franchise and are then replaced by new kids. And this is the first time I ever saw the hardcore fans majorly pissed about a game, not just 4chan. This is not something to be belittled, it may not be the end but is a crack and everything starts with a crack. That doesn't mean that GF needs to bend to every whim of their fans, obviously. Some badly received decisions must be made and the fans need to learn that not everything is magical and will happen because "#i want, #i paying costumer", but there is a middle ground they must find.

Last edited:

Creyk

The games will not flop, It's Pokemon. That's the whole point, They don't need to worry about criticism. They can put in the bare minimum and make maximum profits. I'm not saying they strive for this but with an issue like the national dex that could've been solved by a little outsourcing It kind of shows this point.

I don't think anyone expects it to flop, but if it underperformed slightly then maybe it would send a message to the game creators to put the national dex back into the game. If all pokemon were still included, the rest of the game would be okay imo.

BCVM22

I’m not entirely sure “people can’t afford the new hardware” really holds up as a factor at this stage. The Switch Lite is priced identically to multiple past iterations of handheld hardware, and better still, this isn’t actually the first Pokémon title for the hardware. “Not everyone can afford a Switch” doesn’t matter any more than “not everyone can afford a Game Boy Advance/DS/3DS” and on none of those three occasions did the jump to new hardware (which, again, happened a year ago) prove to be a contributing factor to anything.

At this stage, if someone says they can’t afford a Switch and they’ll be skipping Sword/Shield solely as a result of that, that’s entirely their prerogative. Video games are not a cheap hobby. But if they’re going to place that blame solely at the feet of the shift to the Switch (not that anyone here is doing that at the moment), I question as to how much longer they thought they were going to get new Pokémon iterations on their 3DS, which hosted four pairs of games across two generations and was already huffing and puffing by the end of the latter.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I’m not entirely sure “people can’t afford the new hardware” really holds up as a factor at this stage. The Switch Lite is priced identically to multiple past iterations of handheld hardware, and better still, this isn’t actually the first Pokémon title for the hardware. “Not everyone can afford a Switch” doesn’t matter any more than “not everyone can afford a Game Boy Advance/DS/3DS” and on none of those three occasions did the jump to new hardware (which, again, happened a year ago) prove to be a contributing factor to anything.

+ Dp sold better than RS. & Plat sold better than Emerald. And Xy & Sm both sold better than BW.