• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Hace they announced already how much Pokemon Home will be? Or anything at all about the app aside from it to be Pokemon Bank version 0.2?
Nope. Just hoping it's not higher than $10 (my price limit). I already pay $5 for Bank and $20 for NSO.

DSDark

Breeder
Yeah right, as if I'd trust strangers on these forums for my trade evolutions when half of the people on the trade forums here are clearly offering illegitimate junk. My experience with trading on these forums is abysmal. And Home presumable doesn't transfer items along, just like Bank doesn't do that unlike the GTS.

I've always had great experience with trading at least through serebii.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'll never get the point of preloading. It is not like digital can run out of copies. Like I can get doing it of the Day but weeks in advance always felt weird to me. IDK I mean it is cool to see how close we are. Literally two weeks away.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I've always had great experience with trading at least through serebii.
I've mostly had terrible experiences. People not showing up when agreed, friend codes not connecting (I guess that's a 3DS issue and not a Serebii issue), people showing up with hacked pokémon, having to wait weeks for people to have a time for trading, not getting offers at all... bad experiences far outnumber the good ones. Either you were really lucky or you've barely ever attempted trading here.

Mewizard

I'll never get the point of preloading. It is not like digital can run out of copies. Like I can get doing it of the Day but weeks in advance always felt weird to me. IDK I mean it is cool to see how close we are. Literally two weeks away.
It's so it's there to play without having to wait for it to go up then buy it and download. It's more of a convenience thing.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm hoping it's tied in directly to Switch Online.

I hope it doesn't require Switch Online to use.
Cause I'm in a race to get the trade evolutions before my membership expires some point early December. And I don't intend on renewing it

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I hope it doesn't require Switch Online to use.
Cause I'm in a race to get the trade evolutions before my membership expires some point early December. And I don't intend on renewing it
I hope it doesn't either, but I wouldn't doubt it would be though.

Cradily17

I'm not even going to bother trying to "catch'em all" anymore. With the additional fees from Nintendo Switch Online and Pokemon Home, as well as no longer being able to transfer every Pokemon to each game, it's no longer worth it to me.

I'm hoping it's tied in directly to Switch Online.
I honestly doubt it will be. That would mean less profit.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm not even going to bother trying to "catch'em all" anymore. With the additional fees from Nintendo Switch Online and Pokemon Home, as well as no longer being able to transfer every Pokemon to each game, it's no longer worth it to me.

I honestly doubt it will be. That would mean less profit.
I don't usually try to catch them all either. If I do, it's an extra, if I don't, it's not a big deal.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I took a look back at the videos and it's just Tapping the A Button to Speak or Use/Change Toys with Pokemon If they come by the screen, That's going to be awkward to use. Hopefully it'll seem better in the full game but no Touchscreen really is disappointing. I wanted to Tap to call a pokemon over and use the touchscreen to pet like in amie.

By its very nature, Switch games that are playable docked cannot require the touchscreen, as the dock will cover the entirety of the screen (and it would be blank anyway).

That being said, a game could always provide the option for both touchscreen and button controls, like with Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, a game that was built with touch screen in mind. Same goes for Muse Dash, a mobile game ported to the Switch.

I'm hoping since people have to pay for online now that they take the gts more seriously and ask for pokemon that are actually possible. Better yet hope gamefreal finally fixed it so if you try to ask for a male ditto or a level 1 mewtwo that it just says thats not possible. Infact no legends under level 70 should be possible ( most are found at this level and if not juat train them up to this level guys) I don't care about the creation event, a random event from 13 years ago shouldn't be considered at all.

If anything the people who want to show off are going to do so even more, because now there will be fewer people doing so. (They're making a mistake. There are lots of people using Nintendo Switch Online, if the big success of Tetris 99 is any indication.)

Could you ever ask for a gendered-genderless pokemon? I definitely remember being unable to ask for a male Petilil (and thus realising it was a 100% female species), so it would be very weird to me if you could ask for a pokemon with no gender to have a gender.

You could definitely ask for one. I don't know how they do it, but I see it all the time on the GTS.

I honestly hate this idea of denying an incredibly useful convinience to the majority of people because *some* might abuse it, especially if it's such a non-issue as cloning a fictional animal.

It's one of those "This is why we can't have nice things" problems combined with "A few bad apples spoil the bunch." It's nothing life-threatening like the Takata air bags or even physically harmful like the PSP shooting discs, but it's one of those things that can ruin the experience for other people since playing with other people is a major part of Pokémon.

When Mario Kart DS came out, you could draw your own profile picture, and it would be displayed to everyone. I loved that. It's just like the avatar system here. But predictably, a minority of people decided they wanted to feel edgy and upsetting and drew pictures of genitals, write swear words, depict gory violence, draw offensive symbols and gestures, etc., and unsurprisingly, the Mario Kart games never had that feature again.

Meh, they should probably just ban trading of legendaries altogether, nobody offers legit legendaries anyway, only hackers do because they can just hack in more. At least you could get the legendaries in Alola eventually thanks to the 2018 Legends and Shiny Solgaleo and Lunala events, perhaps they'll do that again for gen 8, although ideally they should just go back to the Johto model and ditch the version-exclusive legendaries.

The Alola games gave you a Cosmog--not only did it allow you to register Cosmog and Cosmoem into the Pokédex, but it allowed you to get a second Solgaleo or Lunala, depending on your game. You didn't need to have an event, and it was quite popular to trade Solgaleo for Lunala and vice versa because you could legitimately get a second one. I did it twice, once for Sun and again for Ultra Moon, and I didn't have a problem.

For that matter, I do Wonder Trades a lot. Like, as in hundreds of them for each main series Pokémon game I play. When something is hacked, it's pretty obvious that it is, and I'd say the odds of getting a hacked Pokémon over Wonder Trades is under 5%.

I seldom get any hacked Pokémon. I don't think I'm lucky; I think you're unlucky. The real negative factor to the hacked Pokémon, though, is that it encourages kids to offer their Rattatas and Magikarps and such and ask for Mewtwo and Rayquaza. The hackers will actually fulfill those trades, and it makes the kids think that is normal.

"bUt TrAdInG iZ aBoUt FrIeNdShIpZ !!!!"...somehow, despite it mostly happening between strangers over the GTS that can't even talk to each other or will ever interact with each other ever again...
Plus it's another incentive to get people to buy both versions of the game, and they're not gonna let go of that.

From the perspective of a westerner, yes. In urban Japan, though, where Game Freak is located, the majority of trading actually happens in person, as Pokémon is such a cultural cornerstone there that it's not hard to wander around the streets and find someone else who has a Pokémon game and would like to trade/battle/etc. It's ethnocentrism, but it's something they probably don't even fully realize.

Then again, ethnocentrism is usually something people don't realize. A European who thinks it's a short trip from Dallas to Houston just because they're both in Texas isn't necessarily stupid; they just never gave thought to the differences in scale in the land size. Same with Game Freak. Most people in Game Freak have never stepped foot outside of Japan, and of those that do, most probably have no idea how people play Pokémon in other parts of the world. I would bet you that most of them think non-Japanese trade and battle in person because that's how they do it in Japan--and that most people in Japan think that too (no matter how much folks like James Turner and Lee HyunJung say otherwise).

I'm already on it. Currently at 90% downloaded as of typing this.

EEEEEEEE! :D

It's surprisingly painless. I checked on my Switch after about an hour, and it's done.

For something like Pokémon, it's to avoid the server issues that happen every time a new main series game comes out, especially the first of a generation. If the servers don't outright crash like they did with X and Y, it's slowed down tremendously as it's trying to communicate with too many systems at once like with Let's Go!.

Initially, I had intended to wait a couple of days to pre-load it, when fewer people are doing so. It's just like how I'll wait a couple of weeks before watching Frozen 2 because the theaters are going to be way too packed and full of loud children. But as it turns out, the download began immediately after I redeemed my voucher, so, well, here I am.