• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Oh wow
Chair man Rose's
battle theme is amazing.

Easily one of my favorites

Its a good theme. Too bad he's an awful villain with a plan that is ridiculously stupid. He makes Lysandre look reasonable.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I like that Smash has a limited tournament dedicated for the Pokémon on the roster to celebrate SwSh's release alongside with the Tetris 99 stage

Little Hero

Its a good theme. Too bad he's an awful villain with a plan that is ridiculously stupid. He makes Lysandre look reasonable.

Who knows...maybe they were buddies; both want to save the world, both seemed to do it out of narcissistic reasons (Lysandre morose than Rose, probably from the spoilers I've seen)...all in all, at least Lysandre's plan seemed to have substance...when you found out about it...sort of...I mean, it only took most of the game for Lysandre to try to kill everyone, so there's that. The fact that Leon doesn't seem to care Rose is about to release some energy monster really annoyed me when I saw those spoilers...its like, dude...really? (Although in all fairness, I need to play the game to truly understand this guy)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Who knows...maybe they were buddies; both want to save the world, both seemed to do it out of narcissistic reasons (Lysandre morose than Rose, probably from the spoilers I've seen)...all in all, at least Lysandre's plan seemed to have substance...when you found out about it...sort of...I mean, it only took most of the game for Lysandre to try to kill everyone, so there's that. The fact that Leon doesn't seem to care Rose is about to release some energy monster really annoyed me when I saw those spoilers...its like, dude...really? (Although in all fairness, I need to play the game to truly understand this guy)

On paper, Lysandre's plan was sort of understandable. Human population was growing at an alarming rate, and greed was getting out of hand, which was harming Pokémon as well. But wanting to commit genocide was ridiculous and overall, the pacing and execution was wack.

But in Rose's case, it's even worse. He wants to awaken Eternatus due to a possible crisis 1000 years later. I saw no build up in the story either. Literally nothing significant happens in the main game until all this is thrown at you at once in the league.

Little Hero

On paper, Lysandre's plan was sort of understandable. Human population was growing at an alarming rate, and greed was getting out of hand, which was harming Pokémon as well. But wanting to commit genocide was ridiculous and overall, the pacing and execution was wack.

But in Rose's case, it's even worse. He wants to awaken Eternatus due to a possible crisis 1000 years later. I saw no build up in the story either. Literally nothing significant happens in the main game until all this is thrown at you at once in the league.

Wait, wait...there's absolutely no build up? No Rose going "we are heading to a crisis, slowly but surely blah, blah and I'm the only one that can save the world because reasons"? Nothing like that at all?

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Wait, wait...there's absolutely no build up? No Rose going "we are heading to a crisis, slowly but surely blah, blah and I'm the only one that can save the world because reasons"? Nothing like that at all?

By build up, I mean the story is thrown at you all at once. Really poor sprinkling of story hints here and there during your gym quest. The whole league + evil plot is longer than going through gyms 4-8.

As for the actual plot, Rose basically has this huge broadcast just as you're about to fight Leon. So he reveals his muahaha evil plan in there and you have to stop him. He does say the generic 'it's my duty and destiny'.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Just to clarify, I didn't mean to work on one project at a time, rather, I think they should have cut or delayed one of the projects. We don't have an exact time frame of reference anyway so perhaps the total number of projects they were juggling at the same time was never an issue.

It sounds like what you want is for people of a particular department to go assist people of a different department. I'm not privy to the inside scoop on how these games are made either, but again, it's quite inefficient to have a lot of people from different skillsets work on the same project, since you'll either have a lot of people who don't have much to do around the workplace, or you'll be assigning tasks to people who might not be very good at it. For instance, even if your production is slowing down because your team is having trouble programming the engine, you don't put your story team to help with that unless you know those people in the story team have experience in programming things related to engines. They may hinder the project more than they'll help.

I feel like people who do the reviews aren’t actually serious Pokémon fans. They don’t even know what’s been left out because they’ve never played before

It's an interesting perspective, if you ask me.

This isn't the first time I've seen fanbases of children-demographic shows be as sour as they are rn either. Steven Universe for instance has a crappy vocal part of the fanbase that attacked an artist for not drawing a character exactly how they wanted and wished death on her (And almost got their wish).

I haven't seen fanbases of shows around other demographics be this bad to judge otherwise tbh, it's like the kids shows have the worse vocal ends of fanbases nowadays.

The Bronies were once very bad too. Notoriously bad. They've calmed down now that the main things that made them angry are like 5 years ago, but they were infamous for going to unrelated discussions and yelling to people about what they don't like (or what they do like) about My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, including offline. They used to foist dark fics and OCs on people, especially show staff, not realizing they are legally not allowed to view them. They have vandalized merchandise in stores. They try to stop people from buying official stuff from Hasbro (including screaming at small children in front of their parents) while trying to promote their own fanmade stuff. They have sent their own share of death threats for the episode "Magical Mystery Cure" for daring to promote Twilight Sparkle to a princess.

That they got into uproars and engage in obnoxious behavior to people who have nothing to do with their grievances is what made them a laughingstock among fandoms, despite the more level-headed fans trying to do damage control.

In all fairness though, we're getting in to the semantics of what makes a "fan." I've played, loved, and enjoyed Pokemon since Red/Blue, but I don't care about Dexit, the GTS, or competitive battling so does that make me any less of a "serious or huge" fan? Just because they don't mention features "hardcore" fans care about doesn't make them any less of a fan.

The way I see it, there are many different kinds of fans for Pokémon. There are fans of competitive battling, fans of casual battling, fans of collecting, fans of lore and world-building, fans of characters in the games, fans of Contests, fans of particular Pokémon, fans of the TCG, fans of the anime in general, fans of characters in the anime, fans of the anime cast, fans of particular generations, etc. One regular on Anime News Network is specifically a fan of the animation cels used in the pre-digital years of the anime and travels to conventions around the world to collect them.

This is why it is so hard to please the Pokémon fans (even when things look peaceful). These many kinds of fans ask for different things, and those different things are important to them.

This is the problem with the other reviews, they don't mention the content or compare to previous games.

They shouldn't have to compare it to previous games. A sequel should be able to stand on its own, without prior knowledge needed. Every main series Pokémon game is somebody's first Pokémon game. It should at least be able to explain itself and get the player used to the battling.

The IGN review is bordering on advertising, I know I am a bit biased because I am tending more to the negative side regarding those games right now, but there were moments they were trying so hard to oversell the game it actually became uncomfortable to read. I mean, there was one whole paragraph dedicated to awestruck reactions about the "turn-based combat system", the pokémon having different elements and that you can breed pokémon. I mean, huh!?

They would be things people would be awestruck by if they've never played a Pokémon game though. Traditional turn-based combat, in particular, is pretty rare in video games nowadays outside of Pokémonand homages to Pokémon like Pocket Mortys. (The indie game Earthlock is a recent release that's traditional turn-based combat, though it was done deliberately to invoke 16-bit JRPGs.

The latest interview with Masuda and Ohmori had FOUR representatives from the Pokémon Company overseeing the interview just off camera, and Masuda and Ohmori kept having to glance over at them and get prompted what to say or whether they could answer it or not. They literally look over in fear and say “no comment.” And I’m not making it up, the interviewer confirmed this is what happened. Look it up.

(plus the below quote)

I saw that. Which makes me believe all these people calling Game Freak lazy are missing out on the bigger picture. It's not laziness on Game Freaks part if they're essentially being forced to go in a direction they'd rather not. It's also very hard put your heart into something you're being forced to make.

One of the worst nightmares for an artist with passion is to have corporate fat cats take control of it from you, then force you to make more of it under duress. This is a pretty common predicament of successful creators though, unfortunately.

I'm very curious as to which companies those four represent, really. I also wonder if they come from different companies or all from one company. Undoubtedly, at least one of them is to blame for Sword and Shield being incomplete; they sound like the micromanaging type. Clearly though, the four of them have power over the entirety of Game Freak.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if said incomplete nature of the game is because they needed approval from one or more of these guys for every little thing, which greatly slows a project down (especially if said approval takes a long time, such as 90s Arcade Racer being delayed for YEARS because they needed approval from Tyrone Rodriguez for a crucial step in their development; since they were low-priority to him, other stuff always came first and he has yet to provide approval).

I saw somewhere earlier someone talking about Smash and the graphics, to be fair Nobody plays smash for the background graphics. More to just smash people in Smash from character movement and performance. The developers do an amazing job on that aspect even though they recycle moves each character has a little bit of their own spice. Banjo and Mario are similar but yet different. Their designs are all pretty nice. Back to my main point is that the background of smash has some pretty great small details but its not meant to be super high tense. So comparing Super Smash to Pokemon is not really ehh comparable. I was not expecting much graphic wise so I am not bothered, its pokemon of course I play for story and strategy of battles and new pokemon (Unless the game looks like complete trash)

I will be doing my review on the story mostly, for me and graphics as long as I don't see as much frame stutter as I did in in Sun Moon/ Utlra I will be okay. I could barely play Ultra moon because sometimes it would sit there before doing an animated attack that i had to turn it off to get through the game. If the story is fire I will think the game is nice as most of my time will be spent competing

That'd be me. Indeed, the background graphics is a relatively unimportant part of the game (though it does contribute very much to authenticity and atmosphere). However, I do think it's comparable. If people are going to harp on those trees, they'd better have some significant element and not just, well, background. The issues people have had over the rocky textures is the bigger deal, because that's an entire interactable environment.

I wonder if the higher-ups are forcing the developers to rush through the games. XY had been only like 85-90 percent complete, SuMo was unfinished as well while one year later we had USUM, I dunno if it's hard to transfer assets to another game but I imagine it's easier than making new ones especially with how they're the same models. Maybe the real reason for USUM and possible remakes of these games are because they were told they had to push the games out in a year. No boycotts yet but keep an eye out on anything shady.

This is what I have been suspecting for a long time. And while some of the work was probably already done with the future-proofing, there is still having to check that everything looks right. When it comes to programming, you can never tell when something is going to go wrong, and when it does go wrong, you can never tell if it will be an easy fix or a hard fix. Gardevoir's head being way too big might be fixed by scaling it down; Drampa's eyes being green instead of yellow may require the entire game be taken apart and put back together.

Version exclusives for one. Maybe some people want to Wonder Trade hundreds of time trying to get that last one for the dex, but some others actually want to play a game.

I use Wonder Trade to increase my chances of getting a PP Up at the lottery. Not sure if there is one in Galar, but typically, I reach about a 60% chance within the first couple of months and about a 95% to 100% chance by the end (not counting prizes above PP Up and PP Max).

Agreed. I've been thinking for awhile that maybe GF should consider moving away from third versions entirely.

Just make one new set of games per generation and keep updating it with DLC. Stuff like the Delta Episode and Rainbow Rocket, but bigger.

Anime and TCG can promote and have arcs surrounding DLC stories.

That would solve basically every problem with this franchise.

I would LOVE that...though I don't see that happening, since their current formula seems to be working. The Switch is the system a Pokémon game has been released on that DLC is the easiest to implement, but at the same time, you have that resistance to change to overcome, and you also have the fact that Game Freak isn't used to DLC--to my knowledge, they've never released any actual DLC, just patches. Then again, said patch for the Lumiose Save Glitch was the very first one they did, and that was handled very well, so who knows? Maybe they WOULD be quite good at DLC.

Speaking of which, the TCG shouldn't have any problems with a generation's longer length, since it almost never follows the game's story. If anything, the TCG may need more time to fully flesh out each generation too. They may also be rushed. Case in point: Generation VI had Mega Evolutions, which are reflected in the TCG. Did you know that Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham, Mega Banette, Mega Abomasnow, Mega Sableye, Mega Latias, and Mega Lopunny never got their own cards? Mega Garchomp almost didn't make the cut either but was released as part of a promotional set very late into the generation. Mega Alakazam also didn't debut until the second-to-last set. It's as if they had more planned out, but then Generation VII happened and they had to cancel that.

Both the TCG and the anime have ways to fill out time, and there have even arguments about both of them improving with more time. At this point, I think the only ones rushing Game Freak--and arguably the other companies too--are the merchandise companies within The Pokémon Company. But they're the ones making two-thirds of the money, so they get the last word.

Before all this can happen, though, they need to get over the hump of Japanese people not being too fond of DLC. Whatever negative image DLC has in the Anglosphere, it's way worse in Japan, and they are baffled as to why westerners are so into DLC.

Do we know by now if Eternatus is an ultra beast?

It is not. It doesn't fit the pattern of Ultra Beasts.

Couldn't care one ounce about competitive battling. Too many sore losers turned me off from it.

On the other hand, one upside to being able to play this on a home console, at least on my end, is that it is much easier to record footage off of a Switch than a DS or 3DS. I will be recording any time I do battle online, and if anyone ragequits on me, that will be recorded too. When ragequitting was rampant in Black and White, as there was no penalty for it, I was dismayed that I not only couldn't record these things happening to show what was going on, but I couldn't even save a Battle Video to demonstrate the battles were incomplete.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
@Ophie Well that's good to know. At least I didn't get in trouble for the rage quitter.

And could you please either shorten your posts or put them under spoiler tags? They're really hard to scroll through, especially via mobile. Thanks.

World Turtle

If I may ask: What exactly is the evil plan?

Bryon

Moveset Comp Judge

World Turtle

That's the so called 'evil plan'. He wants to awaken Eternatus due to a possible energy crisis 1000 years later.

Does this have something to do with one of those early leaks mentioning Eternatus is the source of energy for D-max and its running out? Or by energy crisis are we talking in terms of natural resources like Lysandre was?

Noy

We've passed the 24 hours remaining mark for when the games start releasing I believe; just one day left. Though maybe I got bad information on when things like e-shop are releasing. It will be less than 24hrs till the 15th in EST

Eldegoss

Pollinate me.
We've passed the 24 hours remaining mark for when the games start releasing I believe; just one day left. Though maybe I got bad information on when things like e-shop are releasing. It will be less than 24hrs till the 15th in EST

10 hours until my timezone (AWST) get access to the game! Super excited now. I originally thought about doing a normal team comp comprised of all Galarian Pokemon, but now I kinda just wanna do a Grass type monorun haha.

GalenIYIarek

Eurogamer review really concerns me. That whole paragraph about unexplorable buildings, bizarre one street towns with no accessible doors, empty rooms, short pointless routes with little trainers, no caves or books and crannies to explore, no dungeons or mysteries....

I think a lot of that is just world building. A big busy industrialized town with only 4 or 5 buildings doesn't seem big or busy. One example is Gold/Silver's Goldenrod City. That city has many doorless buildings that fill the area just to set an atmosphere.

But I do agree. I wish there were Dungeons, and Grottos, and Meadows, and Caves, and Cliff Sides, and Deserts, that were their own unique nook in the region instead just one single wide open area. I'd want them to be big enough to support specific overworld Pokémon unique to the dungeon. I'd want them to require HMs (that require gym badges to unlock) just to navigate to the end where a Max Raid Den would be waiting and could have rotating Pokémon based on day of the week or weather or something. That would perfect imo. But the Wild Area is GameFreak's first big step towards an open world concept. It's what they wanted to try. Hopefully it plays well. And hopefully they learn from the experience wherever it goes from here.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Ok,so,for the next game,we need to get a much larger dex and Mega evolutions.They owe us that.I'm sure after all these complaints,they'll try and rectify the graphics,story,dex,moves and all that.Otherwise,a lot of fans will just abandon the franchise.

And they need to bring back Gale Wings Talonflame with Gale Wings being back to what it was in the beginning and maybe with a Galarian form as well.Reason: because I want to^.^

SwordDude

I saw somewhere earlier someone talking about Smash and the graphics, to be fair Nobody plays smash for the background graphics. More to just smash people in Smash from character movement and performance. The developers do an amazing job on that aspect even though they recycle moves each character has a little bit of their own spice. Banjo and Mario are similar but yet different. Their designs are all pretty nice. Back to my main point is that the background of smash has some pretty great small details but its not meant to be super high tense. So comparing Super Smash to Pokemon is not really ehh comparable. I was not expecting much graphic wise so I am not bothered, its pokemon of course I play for story and strategy of battles and new pokemon (Unless the game looks like complete trash)

I will be doing my review on the story mostly, for me and graphics as long as I don't see as much frame stutter as I did in in Sun Moon/ Utlra I will be okay. I could barely play Ultra moon because sometimes it would sit there before doing an animated attack that i had to turn it off to get through the game. If the story is fire I will think the game is nice as most of my time will be spent competing

if smash ultimate had bad grapics I can assure you that a large part of the more casual audience might not buy the game. the game sales would not reach the high's it has reached now. in that series especially for the casual market grapics would have mattered this ain't pokemon.

smash bros has a history of having near the top grapics on any console they are released for

Smash bros brawl was one of 3 games that used xbox 360 like discs on the original wii. even titles like mario galaxy mario kart xenoblade etc didnt use those smash bros might be the only one.

also a ton of moves have to have some origin of their main series so you can't always make unique moves for everyone and some made from scratch since the main games have none not to mention have you ever played other fighters with way less characters. a ton of characters with same moves or reskins even in quality games such as king of fighters or street fighter capcom vs series etc and in those games they did not even alter the damage output etc.

also say 3d on the 3ds pokemon games. say what you want about the lack luster 3d in those games but let's be fair even the best looking 3d games on 3ds didnt look to hot that's just how it is.

while pokemon 3d games where not the best looking games they where well above average compared to the majority on 3ds from the very beginning till the end.

also as far as the hardcore smash fanbase goes they don't need all characters as long as the gameplay is good. the only thing that is consistent are the most popular characters of each series. ultimate is a one time thing with this broad cast. More characters is usually just to lure the more casual audience in let's be real. I personally really like some of the new additions but they aren't must haves.

Last edited:

Ryuuma

Ok,so,for the next game,we need to get a much larger dex and Mega evolutions.They owe us that.I'm sure after all these complaints,they'll try and rectify the graphics,story,dex,moves and all that.Otherwise,a lot of fans will just abandon the franchise.

I would not expect an additional of more than 100 pokemon. And I'm pretty sure they cut some favs now to use them as "bonus" for people buy next game.