• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
OKAY I AM NOT IMAGINING THINGS! I'm battling the 6th Gym Leader and it happened again! When you get to the last Pokemon of the Gym Leader, the music changes its tone and adds chanting. The Gen 5 Victory music has returned. Not the actual music from Gen 5, brand new music that appears when you get to the Gym Leader's last Pokemon. Yes!
Ya know I had a whole LONG post going on and on about the gym music phases as well but decided not to post because it was so rambly and deep down I wondered if I was just being a giddy fangirl or crazy too. Plus it was before the games released officially so I wasn't sure if it was allowed to talk about the raw track.
But I agree I LOVE how the music shifts from a minor to a major key from the first-to-middle phases, and then on the last pokemon for the gym leader it's basically Gen 5's final Pokemon music for gyms but amped and fitting the setting perfectly.
NGL, It's pretty sick how they incorporated the FRICKING AUDIENCE into the gym theme entirely in some way, I feel like that adds some immersion or something to the battle. They're riled up and taking this seriously, it's entertainment for the whole Galar region because this is THEIR sport (Seriously I love how Gym battles are ingrained in their culture in a way to where they make a full enjoyable sport out of it), and ofc they probably want the Gym Leader to whoop you while they still can on their last leg because we all know how sports fans in their hometowns are. lol

Man, I just noticed that Gen 5's technically getting a lot of attention in Gen 8, first the Pokemon added and now I think of it with the Gym music with how they did it. Not that I'm complaining.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
So I’ve collected five badges and have somewhat an opinion. These games are half baked. I don’t like how essentially the Wild Area is a replacement for the routes and when we do get interesting places like the mine or forest it’s incredibly short. The Gym leaders are incredibly easy and that’s really due to the fact of that stupid exp share; it’s to the point where I have to cripple myself (using set and not healing during battle). It’s a shame because the AI is actually pretty smart in these games but that isn’t enough when you are like 5 plus levels head. I’m convinced that Hop is one of the weakest rivals we’ve had along with Bede. The good things is I like how they incorporated trials into Gym battles. Sonia’s and Hop’s stories are pretty interesting so far. Side bar but why does it feel like Sonia is pulling this story with her investigating? Literally nobody cares about these legends except her. I like how each of the Gym leaders have their own set personality that really shines through and unique to each individual. I also prefer this online system to the previous one in SMUSUM

DMB1985

So I’ve collected five badges and have somewhat an opinion. These games are half baked. I don’t like how essentially the Wild Area is a replacement for the routes and when we do get interesting places like the mine or forest it’s incredibly short. The Gym leaders are incredibly easy and that’s really due to the fact of that stupid exp share; it’s to the point where I have to cripple myself (using set and not healing during battle). It’s a shame because the AI is actually pretty smart in these games but that isn’t enough when you are like 5 plus levels head. I’m convinced that Hop is one of the weakest rivals we’ve had along with Bede. The good things is I like how they incorporated trials into Gym battles. Sonia’s and Hop’s stories are pretty interesting so far. Side bar but why does it feel like Sonia is pulling this story with her investigating? Literally nobody cares about these legends except her. I like how each of the Gym leaders have their own set personality that really shines through and unique to each individual. I also prefer this online system to the previous one in SMUSUM

The issues you've mentioned are exactly why I have no desire to buy the game. As much as they annoy me, I can live with sub-par graphics and animations whilst Dexit was never a deal breaker for me. But I simply can't put up with the constant dumbing down that has been going on since Gen 6. The decision to force Exp Share on us whether we like it or not isn't something I can support and from everything I have read about it, it really does make the game as easy as I expected it would. And removing any sort of dungeon like area is a big no-no for me. They have long been some of my favourite parts of the games so to learn that there are no decent ones in these games is a definite deal breaker.

To be honest, with the direction that the series has been going in over the last few gens, this is probably where I check out. It's a shame as I've had some great times with Pokémon over the years but for me the games have become rather sad imitations of what they once were.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
In JoJo every stylish pose is a JoJo pose!

Technically, that pose is based on Freddy Mercury's iconic pose:

BxvMUiv.png

One word for anyone saying the graphics are garbage.

Ballonlea.

I don't know how widespread the idea is, but I distinguish between visual design and graphics. To me, "graphics" refers to how advanced or otherwise competent a video game is able to display its visuals, while "visual design" or "art style" refers to how appealing a video game looks. The former is technical; the latter is artistic. A game can have terrible visual design and great graphics or vice versa. Nefarious, in my opinion, falls in that category, as the characters as they appear in gameplay pales in comparison to Gashi-Gashi's interpretations, and the backgrounds are full of simple gradients and geometric shapes. On the other hand, everything is animated very well, you can easily tell foreground from background, and the game keeps a high framerate. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Switch version is essentially a Wii U game, so by its nature, it's not pushing what the Switch is really capable of. However, that doesn't stop it from looking absolutely beautiful everywhere you go.

I say Pokémon Sword and Shield falls into that latter side. The polygon count is pretty low, there are framerate problems in cutscenes and in the Wild Area, and characters and objects sometimes move awkwardly. However, there is a lot of variety of look in different places, the colors are bright and vibrant or muted and saturated when they need to be, and the human and Pokémon design are out of the park. They worked well with tough limitations, whether due to incompetence or lack of resources (time, money, manpower, etc.).

I am beginning to believe that Impidimp is a myth.

If it helps any, I found Impidimp in a Max Raid Battle--in the Shield Version, no less. This was the den I found it in:

woq3I9L.png

It's at the northeasternmost tip of the Rolling Fields part.

Is there a way to get Dreepy before gym 6? :/

I also managed to find Dreepy via a Max Raid Battle. The den is in Dappled Grove, up against the western cliff in an alcove. That same den also contains Goomy:

W48O3qC.png

I wonder if you can find Larvitar, Deino, and Jangmo-o in it too.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I hope they fix it in the next Gen 8 games. I also remember when Charizard couldn't learn fly in Red and Blue games, but was able to learn it in the Yellow version. Dragonite also couldn't learn Fly, until the Gold and Silver games.
Maybe. It's like they thought Dig had always been a TM so they could just copy-paste Dig compatibility over from the hack checks or something, completely forgetting that it wasn't teachable in Alola. Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't. Pokémon sometimes has these oversights in their design that never really seem to get fixed until many many generations later. It took until gen 8 before Steelix got Iron Defence, it was never compatible with the tutors before. Zeraora missed out on Magnet Rise, it wasn't compatible with the tutor, even though its description literally talks about it using magnetic fields to fly, and now Magnet Rise is no longer teachable. Beheeyem got Steel Wing presumably through an oversight, but they keep that compatibility even now, while in other cases like Silvally's Grass Pledge they take the compatibility away (and that was Silvally's only special Grass move). It's very inconsistent how they deal with these things, my guess is it just depends on which employee happens to work on that particular pokémon or teachable move and how thorough he/she is, which also makes it unpredictable.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So now that I've played through the game and had some time to gather my thoughts, I'm going to go ahead and leave a review of the game.

This is perhaps the most controversial game we've ever had, blowing Black and White out of the water. The elephant in the room is obviously Dexit, and most of the debate rages around whether or not the improvements in graphics and gameplay justify Dexit somehow. No matter which side of the fence you're on, or whether you're sitting on the fence itself, Dexit is what we got and it's too late to change that. I've made my opinions on Dexit pretty clear in the past, and I see no reason to beat that dead horse anymore, so I'm going to leave it out of this review. This is a review of the final product as we got it.

I really enjoyed this game, and I think it marks a turning point for the Pokemon franchise to become far greater than we previously could have expected. This game makes massive leaps in terms of gameplay, graphics, and QoL features that, assuming they aren't dropped after this generation, will have a huge impact on the quality of future games in the Pokemon franchise. Raids are a fantastic way to tie cooperative PvE content into Pokemon in a way that it previously did not have. The graphics might not be Witcher III on Ultra quality, but they're miles ahead of the 3DS games. The world is beautifully crafted, putting the blocky, unnatural Minecraft-esque maps of previous games to utter shame. I love the minute details that add to the game's immersion. Random NPCs wander about, talking about nothing in particular but adding to the atmosphere. Street hawkers, record shops, and restraunts dot the streets of the various towns and cities you visit. The crowd cheers and chants while spectating your gym battles. Words cannot describe how much more immersive these games are than their previous titles. There are a ton of new quality of life features, such as being able to access the box system anywhere, being able to check the IVs of any Pokemon in your PC without needing to visit an NPC after obtaining the IV checker, and a variety of competitive QoL improvements such as nature mints and EV curries.

This game isn't perfect, however. The biggest disappointment to me was how much they oversold the scale of the Wild Area. The Wild Area is very cool and an amazing concept, but they made it sound massive. In reality, you can cross the entirety of it in about a minute. The various biomes within are rather small and often awkwardly placed. Wild Pokemon roaming the overworld is very cool, but they do so in every route, so the Wild Area isn't particularly noteworthy for it. Raids are incredible fun, but I don't like having to hunt down and defeat every single active Raid den before new ones will spawn, especially since some are located behind large rocks or in other places that make them difficult to spot sometimes. It wouldn't be so bad if they were marked on the map, perhaps. The other slight letdown was the pacing of the story, or uh... lack thereof. Honestly, I feel like there was a lot of the story that was simply cut out. There are characters that don't seem to serve much purpose, there's very little buildup to the main climax of the games, and the motivation of the villain is a bit of a head-scratcher to me (won't go into any details here due to spoilers, maybe in a later post). I think part of this game's story might have been cut out or condensed in order to get the games out faster, and I hope this isn't something we see in later games.

Those are fairly minor problems, and they (along with Dexit) honestly pale in comparison to not only what these games bring to the table for themselves, but also what they bring to the Pokemon franchise in general. They might be controversial, but ten years from now I think we'll look back at them as a huge step forward for the Pokemon series.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
here are a ton of new quality of life features, such as being able to access the box system anywhere, being able to check the IVs of any Pokemon in your PC without needing to visit an NPC after obtaining the IV checker, and a variety of competitive QoL improvements such as nature mints and EV curries.
How is an IV checker in the PC new? It's already a thing in the Alola games.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

Sponge

Is there any thread where you can ask someone to host a raid battle? I'd like to catch my own Clobbopus but it appears way too late in the game. (route 9)

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
In my personal opinion I’d go back and play the Alola games before I touch Galar (so far)

Marzbar

I have no idea what the reviews and leakers are talking about. Yes the games cut a lot of stuff. Yes they could be better. Yes it was a missed opportunity for something epic. Yes we probably needed more from these games.

But having said all that, the Wild Area IMO is absolutely MASSIVE! I’ve spent a day in it battling all sorts of crazy powerful Pokémon and farming money and curry ingredients and other items. Seriously it’s huge. Big achievement by GF. And secondly, the games are just really cute. Epic bagpipe music in parts of the Wild area for example. And the routes are not short and small. Most are pretty decent so far. And the towns aren’t small either, so far. I do wish we’d had buffs to old mons and tweaks to the type chart, but I’m still enjoying the game.

Rapiido

I am beginning to believe that Impidimp is a myth.

I caught 3 Ponyta in Glimwood Tangle, trying to get the ability that wasn't garbage Run Away, and then spent 45 minutes looking until it appeared that I had caught every Pontya available in the game and gave up.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
So it seems we are able to have clothes representing all 18 types with logos. Will try to combine all. I think it's the only minor league sign we have but still.