• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Wait Misty Terrain can appear naturally in the Wild Area? I didn't know that
Since the Leek item works for Sirfetch'd does anybody know if Light Ball will work on Raichu?
I tried it out and I didn't notice any change in damage output

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I was recently wondering why Leon's Charizard uses Ancientpower (G-Max Rockfall). I understand it covers very few of his counters (mostly Pelipper and Gyarados) but wouldn't having a Ground move on it be more beneficial?

That way it could counter electric Types (including Toxtricity which many Player's Teams end up with due to it's popularity and the fact you get one as a Gift), Rock (including Coalossal which checks on Charizard), Poison (including Eternatus which many Players will use at this point) and, from a game lore perspective, Raihan's Duraludon.

Any thoughts?
Think they were wanting to have an all special move set for his Charizard. However the only Ground-type moves Charizard could learn are Dig and Earthquake both which are physical attacks (since it doesn’t get Earth Power).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
You can never go wrong with that hair, girl. Yaaas!

P7qM6o.png

Can someone confirm this model is unlockable in post-game? I couldn't find any information on internet, yet alone Serebii's page, whether it's the applied wind effect to the ponytail style which I doubt, or a new one.

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Can someone confirm this model is unlockable in post-game? I couldn't find any information on internet, yet alone Serebii's page, whether it's the applied wind effect to the ponytail style which I doubt, or a new one.

I saw a couple of players in the Wild Area rocking that style. I'm assuming it's post-game.

I really do hope this means males also get new hairstyles. I would love for my character to longer hair.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
So now just reading up on SwSh rest of the web now I finished it... Man how is this Dexit thing still a topic of controversy? Thank god the internet wasn't around during FRLG games otherwise it would have exploded!

Man the Pokemon internet fan base is ridiculous first they cried over Stars and then no DP remake and now this, some people trying to say older gen games look better.... like whut?

Anyway glad the game did well, much deserved. People just haven't understood that jumping to 3DS to Switch is much bigger than the hand held jumps, and GF did a splendid job, honestly much better job then the initial jump from Gen 5 to 6. Obviously some issues but iron them out and Gen 9 could be something really!
Maybe, just maybe, some people have different opinions from you, or value different things from pretty graphics in game...

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So now just reading up on SwSh rest of the web now I finished it... Man how is this Dexit thing still a topic of controversy?

... because it's one of the biggest changes to ever hit the series?

Thank god the internet wasn't around during FRLG games otherwise it would have exploded!

Just when do you think the Internet was created?

Man the Pokemon internet fan base is ridiculous first they cried over Stars and then no DP remake and now this, some people trying to say older gen games look better.... like whut?

Odd how people pontificating about a demographic never consider themselves part of that demographic... even when they are. Anyways, postfacing your points with "like whut?" doesn't tend to do you any favors, especially when you weren't really making a point to begin with.

Anyway glad the game did well, much deserved. People just haven't understood that jumping to 3DS to Switch is much bigger than the hand held jumps, and GF did a splendid job, honestly much better job then the initial jump from Gen 5 to 6. Obviously some issues but iron them out and Gen 9 could be something really!

This is really all you needed to say. Ridiculing and strawmanning people who don't agree with you was entirely unnecessary, unproductive, and asinine.

Baggie_Saiyan

Maybe, just maybe, some people have different opinions from you, or value different things from pretty graphics in game...
Opinions are fine, but when people claim they don't have the games and still continue to harp on about things how much weight can their opinion truly hold?

Any time someone tries to talk anything positive from what I've seen these swarms of people just attack, the ign comment section for the review is frankly embarrassing.

But if people want to waste their time complaining about a game the supposedly don't own then that's just their time wasting & I have just realised I am wasting playing precious gaming time discussing this here.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

The Easy Allies review came in. For those not familiar, their reviews are trustworthy, non-spoilerish and thorough enough that I believe this review of SwSh pretty much sums up everyone's thoughts on those who've played the game, both those who love and are annoyed at the game. Also it's voiced by the same guy who narrates the Gametrailer reviews! Who remembers Gametrailers before they went out of business?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Opinions are fine, but when people claim they don't have the games and still continue to harp on about things how much weight can their opinion truly hold?

Any time someone tries to talk anything positive from what I've seen these swarms of people just attack, the ign comment section for the review is frankly embarrassing.
You claim to still not understand, despite this having been ongoing for months. If you still do not understand by now despite seeing people oppose the games for all this time, it's either a complete lack of fundamental understanding that people differ in opinions and values, or just wilful ignorance on your part, because the arguments are out there everywhere on the internet and repeating them again and again here is just fruitless by now.

Let me revert that initial question back to you. If you don't take the slightest bit of effort to see a divisive issue from a different angle and only disregard people with different views as "swarms", as if they're vermin to be eradicated, if you haven't done the slightest bit of research to gain a deeper understanding, how much value does your opinion hold?

xayshade

Ive finished the game completely, rechallenging the league for the 3rd time, considering restarting and nuzlocking it.

The game is really fun. Others might disagree but i feel it was worth the 60 dollars. With that being said the criticisms are all valid, except for the dexit and 400 pokemon because personally, the amount of pokemon in a pokemon game has never stopped it from being a good pokemon game, and ive never tried to catch them all.

But the story does feel short, some of the animations are lacklustre, and there isnt a lot to explore. All in all, the games feel unfinished

Orphalesion

Ive finished the game completely, rechallenging the league for the 3rd time, considering restarting and nuzlocking it.

The game is really fun. Others might disagree but i feel it was worth the 60 dollars. With that being said the criticisms are all valid, except for the dexit and 400 pokemon because personally, the amount of pokemon in a pokemon game has never stopped it from being a good pokemon game, and ive never tried to catch them all.

But the story does feel short, some of the animations are lacklustre, and there isnt a lot to explore. All in all, the games feel unfinished

I agree vert much with you. It had it's obvious flaws, but I feel I got my money's worth and had fun.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
The postgame is rather disappointing, especially since SM at least had some UBs to catch, the Tapus, the Looker Episode, etc...and even a decent chunk of an island to explore! SWSH has this postgame thing involving two random dorks that are annoying rather than interesting and...that’s it. And said plot isn’t even all that well written!

Like, at least give us the other part of Wyndon that’s behind the tower to explore rather than some background prop. Even XY gave us Klioude City and that place is already forgettable.

Don’t get me wrong I still enjoyed the game fine but they definitely dropped the ball on the postgame, and in some way worse than XY did.

Zachmac

Isn't render distance a system limitation? I don't really mind the Pokemon popping in and out but it does make finding Watt Traders a pain.
Plenty of other open world Switch games have much better render distances. It's probably poor optimization then it is a system limitation in this case.

It's something GF will probably get better at as they get more experience with HD development to, but for now it's pretty annoying.
The postgame is rather disappointing, especially since SM at least had some UBs to catch, the Tapus, the Looker Episode, etc...and even a decent chunk of an island to explore! SWSH has this postgame thing involving two random dorks that are annoying rather than interesting and...that’s it. And said plot isn’t even all that well written!

Like, at least give us the other part of Wyndon that’s behind the tower to explore rather than some background prop. Even XY gave us Klioude City and that place is already forgettable.

Don’t get me wrong I still enjoyed the game fine but they definitely dropped the ball on the postgame, and in some way worse than XY did.
I actually enjoyed this game's postgame far more thanks to Raid Battles. I'm checking in every day to see what new raid battles have appeared.

Orphalesion

Klioude was, as you say, forgettable, so I'm not disappointed about not having a Klioude City-like area.
But I agree that not having something involving Looker was really very disappointing. He's become a recurring character now, so it's kinda sad not to see him in Galar.

Ultra Beast Lover

Klioude was, as you say, forgettable, so I'm not disappointed about not having a Klioude City-like area.
But I agree that not having something involving Looker was really very disappointing. He's become a recurring character now, so it's kinda sad not to see him in Galar.
Same though I suppose that's to be expected if these games took place during SuMo, Looker was in Kalos because he wasn't in Unova in B2W2 and we know that those took place at the same time, so maybe he'll appear in the next generation? At least with this we know there's likely only one Looker

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
SOB. I just found out Lapras Gigantamax raid is exclusive to Shield.... I had Shield first then when Sword came switched over to that.... I now regret.

I guess I will have to spoil myself now on what Gigantamax Lappy looks like! No way I can withold playing through Shield lol

You can still join a Max Raid Battle for someone with Shield. Your odds of catching Lapras will be low, but it's nonzero, considering I've gotten Drednaw out of someone else's raid before.

Isn't render distance a system limitation? I don't really mind the Pokemon popping in and out but it does make finding Watt Traders a pain.

The Switch can definitely handle further render distances; of the 3-D games I've played on the Switch, I think Sword and Shield are the major releases with the shortest draw distance for characters. (The distance for landscapes is just fine though.) People talk smack of Sonic Forces a lot, for instance, but one thing it did right was allow you to see anything that can hurt Sonic from far enough away that you have enough time to react to it even when Sonic's barreling through at full speed. I like Sword and Shield, but it is a minor annoyance to accidentally bump into something on the bicycle because it popped up right in front of you.

My overall impression of Game Freak, since they started making video games, is that they are artists first, programmers second. They care very much about making a game with a lot of charm, one that pulls you into their world with memorable characters, and they make sure the characters and locations are ones you will remember. Official art from Game Freak is also always top notch, regardless of if it's Speed Ball or Little Town Hero. However, they're not quite as good at making the games to their own aspirations, and they need time to learn the game systems they're making them for.

One thing to consider is that Looker has appeared in at least one game in every generation since he debuted. He doesn't necessarily get a new story, but he does at least cameo. Of course, he doesn't always appear in the first games of the generation, so I'm still crossing my fingers that Looker will pop up. If the Sinnoh games get remade this generation though, there's a very good chance he'll show up there, as that's where he debuted.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Just beat the game last night, here are my thoughts on the game (keeping plot spoilers under tags in case anyone hasn't finished yet):

-The Wild Area really is a glimpse into what the future of Pokemon should be. Large, sprawling fields you can wander around in and explore, tons of Pokemon wandering around for you to catch. The only real issues I have with it are the amount of time it takes for the weather to change (supposedly about 2-3 hours which is slightly excessive) and the lack of trainers and general content in the Wild Area (not really much besides Max Raid battles and catching Pokemon). Beyond that, I wish more of the game were like this.
-I think they've really nailed down how to balance overworld and random encounters at this point. The overworld encounters really add life to the areas and make it easier to progress through the game without being forced to slog through as many random encounters, and they still have some random encounters to add a sense of surprise to the game. This is one gameplay element they absolutely should not remove the next game, it should be similar to this in every game from now on (they could tweak it a bit to give it the regional flair they love so much, but don't outright abandon this system).
-There's so many QoL improvements in this game, accessing the PC from anywhere, Name Rater, Move Deleter, and Move Relearner services in every Pokemon Center, the Escape Rope being a Key Item, Mints allowing you to change nature boosts.
-I really like most of the Pokemon this generation, they're all so charming and quirky. Ever since they've been cutting down on the number of new Pokemon in each generation it really feels like we're getting quality over quantity.
-
Field moves being all but eliminated is disappointing. Field moves add a lot of gameplay variety and puzzle solving to the overworld exploration and that element is missing from the game. I get that they won't bring back HMs because of the issue with being forced to learn those moves to progress, but outright eliminating field abilities is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Also the upgrade to the Rotom Bike that lets you ride it on the water is unlocked ridiculously late, I wish you'd have gotten it a bit earlier in the game.
-The gyms in this game feel exactly the way gyms should feel, like major battles in the game against tough opponents. The stadium feel, Dynamax, and the general lore of these gyms being major sporting events all give the gym battles a sense of importance that I feel has been lacking for a while now.
Also glad they copied the anime and made a tournament at the end instead of a traditional Elite 4.
-Dynamax is a serviceable enough replacement for Megas/Z-Moves, although I wish I could use it a little more. Gigantamax, though, really bothers me. The main reason being that it's restricted to only event Pokemon and Max Raid battles. IDK if this was revealed beforehand, but I didn't know about it and I was very disappointed when I found this out. It really undermines their efforts to make stronger/more competitively viable Pokemon more accessible, those Pokemon you raised from the start of the game and bonded with the entire time? Sorry Charlie, they'll never be able to do it. It's even more irritating since nearly every major character from the 3rd gym on Gigantamaxes their Pokemon.
-
Dark type gym! Poison type legendary! They finally did it. At least they're listening to little things like this.
-I really like some of the main characters and their character development in this game. Hop is kind of a typical friendly rival, but Bede and Marnie have really interesting personalities.
Bede is a refreshing change of pace from the slew of friendly rivals we've had for eons, and even after he gets kicked out of the gym challenge and Fairy-fied by Opal, he still has shades of being a smug jerk. Actually, I think he may be even more interesting than previous jerk rivals like Blue or Silver because he doesn't go full on BFF with you but he's also not as much of a jerk to you either. As for Marnie, she's also somewhat in between being a jerk and being friendly, she comes off as somewhat cold but she contrasts Team Yell's boisterous and disruptive nature by actually being somewhat helpful. And Sonia's progression from being her grandmother's assistant living in her shadow to a full-fledged professor in her own right was a joy to watch. I was thinking as I was going through the first part of the game that we saw so much more of Sonia than Magnolia and Sonia felt like the real professor and by the end of the game I was more right about that than I could've guessed. Those three characters are definitely the highlight of the game. On the flipside though, Rose and Oleana were really weak. There was so much potential for a good plot here, with Leon being an unbeatable champion and affiliated with two suspicious characters wielding a tremendous influence on the Pokemon League and the Galar region as a whole, but they just dropped the ball here. Leon's success isn't a result of Rose and Oleana fixing the league like we all thought, he just wins everything until you come along somehow which makes no sense (I want to say this is a plothole, but I don't think this technically counts as one). And Rose's actual plan was... to unleash Master Hand so kaiju Pokemon can power the region? No Rose, I don't understand, but not because I'm just a kid. The plan just doesn't make much sense without any explanation, which wasn't given. Also Leon was spot on when he said they could just wait until after the Champion Cup for all of this if it's really necessary. Or you know, 1000 years. This plotline is so bad even the game itself is making fun of it.
-
As bad as the plot was, they really ended it with a bang with the Max Raid battle against Eternatus. Teaming up with the box legends to take on a Dynamaxed legendary is definitely one of the highlights of this game.
-
I wasn't a fan of the music at first, it felt a bit off, but some of the later tunes are really good like Storming Rose Tower and Eternatus Theme 3 (the one where Zacian and Zamazenta team up with you).
-
There really isn't much to do outside of the main story. As usual in the 3D games, there's really no major sidequest (something like Contests, Secret Bases, Pokestar Studios, etc.) to spend your time on and this game could really use it.
-Dexit is really going to hurt this franchise in the long term, especially after knowing this game's regional dex.
400 Pokemon just isn't going to cut it, it leaves too many Pokemon out and doesn't instill a lot of confidence that they'll be able to bring cut Pokemon back reasonably soon. I could easily see some Pokemon being left behind for generations the way they're handling this.

All in all, this game was a fun ride and definitely feels like a step forwards for the series, but it still feels really bare in some ways and has a long way to go before it can stand toe to toe with other console games.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Lets stop with the strawmanning and trolling. Thanks.

Paige712

I'm curious how the next games will be compatible with Swsh because it's likely a good chunk of the swsh dex won't be in and vise versa for the new game. How will VCG work? Will they have to be game specific? Only using the most current pokemon dex? What if Dyna/Gigant max aren't in the next games (assuming DP remakes) how will that work ? Since they're pretty well stated region specific like Z crystals were.