• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Ultra Beast Lover

Ive been in wildarea for over 3 hours and ive had enough watts to buy thunderbolt and surf but ice beam is not on there. ive been battling every battle on the red glowe dens and i still havent came across an ice type pooemon yet.

ive been here long enough. my highest pokemon is level 32 and i have 0 badges
I should consider doing that, I mean it sure as heck is fun in Sinnoh, should be fun here.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
No, I'm not just referring to regional dex amounts. I'm referring to ALL Pokemon in the game, not just the regional dex Pokemon. For example, this includes Pokemon obtainable through methods such as the Friend Safari, Island Scan, Ultra Warp Ride, etc. Since all Pokemon available in the game need to be included in the regional dex, it's not really a fair comparison unless you include those Pokemon from past games. If you include those Pokemon, the numbers look like this:

RBY: 150
GSC: 250
RS: 200
FRLG: 222
Emerald: 236
DP: 449 (I threw in the Regis and Tangela even though they weren't available, since you would need them to obtain Regigias and Tangela)
Platinum: 452
HGSS: 454
BW: 469
BW2: 490
XY: 596
ORAS: 480
SM: 388
USUM: 567
LGPE: 153
SwSh: 432

So yeah, SwSh really doesn't have all that much compared to past games. SM and LGPE are the only games with less Pokemon out of every game since 4th gen.

Yes, my apologies.

I tend to forget that the amount of obtainable Pokémon in each game expands greatly after the main story of the game is completed. So I didn’t take that into account when I posted.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Even if you encountered an Ice type raid, with you just being at the beginning of the game, you can forget getting Ice Beam as a reward. Strong TM's only drop from 4 and 5 star raids which you obviously won't be able to encounter currently.
The TRs are actually tied to the type of the Pokemon encountered in the Raids. Got an Ice Beam TR from a two-star Mr Mime Raid and I got a Leech Life TR fairly early on which worked wonders on my Centiskorch. Also have a large collection of Scald and Waterfall TRs from the Water-type Raids I cleared, shame Sobble cannot learn Scald before it evolves to its final form.

CharizardFan09

Why why why do you need TR Ice Beam when you’re not even at the first Gym yet? You don’t need it! Wait until late game when you can actually defeat heaps of Max Raids. Not roaming Pokémon, the red glowing dens that have massive red lasers shooting straight into the sky. You can also connect online and join other people’s raids. But wait until late game. You are massively overlevelled and will defeat the first few gyms with Tackle, let alone Ice Beam.

Also gaining watts is super easy late game too. Dens give you a lot more once you’ve finished the game

Ice beats grass types. thats why i need it.

CharizardFan09

You’re going to spend the entire time in the Grass gym watching your Pokémon flip a coin deciding whether to obey you. The level cap until the first badge is Level 20.

false. There is no level to obey or not.

I smashed that grass nerd on 1 KO shot on his 2 pokemon.

On to the 2nd gym now

CharizardFan09

theres only a certain level where u can catch pokemon. Not where ur leveling it up.

i am bein attacked for wanting ice beam. i dont see why this is a big deal. its not like im demanding it, it is what it is.

i dont appreciate being called OCD

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Main site said:
Defog now removes Terrains in addition to Entry Hazards and Screens.

Wow, that's pretty broken, haha. I would've preffered a Cloud Nine analogue ability, though.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Looking at them for what they are meant to be, there are only a few things I'm truly disappointed about in these games. One of those is the size scaling during battles and in pokemon camp. It's just so off to see so many pokemon looking either far larger or far smaller than they are meant to be, and it's especially jarring since in the overworld and in cutscenes they are at least close to the right size (i.e. your starter seems to increase like a quarter in size between you choosing it in the cutscene and the battle with Hop). And of course, the more extreme the sizes, the more you notice (i.e. how infamously small Wailord and Eternatus look).

It's easy to see this is due to some kind of limitation in the battle arena graphics system (or whatever might be the proper term for it), that the pokemon has to fit within a certain space between the trainer and the opponent on the screen. One also has to consider that they want both pokemon to be readily visible to the player, even if one is a foot long and the other is thirty feet long, but I think routinely zooming in on the small pokemon could make that work.

On the other hand, there are also cases where the pokemon looks smaller despite there seemingly being plenty of room to make it look larger (i.e. Tyranitar). It also doesn't explain why the sizes are off in Pokemon Camp, which one would think can work the same way as the overworld pokemon. That they did bother to make the scaling better in the overworld makes me really curious how much harder it is to apply it elsewhere.

The fact that I am ignorant of how difficult it would be to implement means I want to give Gamefreak the benefit of the doubt. At the same time, since they are basically halfway there already in having the pokemon be the right size (i.e. doing it for overworld and cutscenes already), I am hoping that next gen they can go all the way. We know proper scaling can be done, it was done for the Battle Revolution game, and perhaps whatever programming was used there could be copied or somehow applied to the system used in the mainline games. Heck, I'd even settle for larger pokemon just being positioned the way Dynamax pokemon are behind the player instead of in front, if this makes the programming easier.

This criticism comes from a place of love, as I love seeing the pokemon at their proper sizes in the overworld and would like to see it applied to the rest of the game. It makes everything feel more real and diverse, with the creatures that tower over you and the ones that run between your feet.

Likewise, them having and using walking and running animations for all the pokemon, and having smaller dexes to decrease the workload, makes me hopeful that following pokemon could come back as a mainstay feature. At first I thought this was unrealistic, that it'd be something reserved for the Let's Go games, but since now its looking like Gamefreak have no plans to continue those games (they sold well but it seems lacked the staying power they wanted), perhaps there is a chance to see it return.

This has been my positively hopeful monologue for the day.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Looking at them for what they are meant to be, there are only a few things I'm truly disappointed about in these games. One of those is the size scaling during battles and in pokemon camp. It's just so off to see so many pokemon looking either far larger or far smaller than they are meant to be, and it's especially jarring since in the overworld and in cutscenes they are at least close to the right size (i.e. your starter seems to increase like a quarter in size between you choosing it in the cutscene and the battle with Hop). And of course, the more extreme the sizes, the more you notice (i.e. how infamously small Wailord and Eternatus look).

It's easy to see this is due to some kind of limitation in the battle arena graphics system (or whatever might be the proper term for it), that the pokemon has to fit within a certain space between the trainer and the opponent on the screen. One also has to consider that they want both pokemon to be readily visible to the player, even if one is a foot long and the other is thirty feet long, but I think routinely zooming in on the small pokemon could make that work.

On the other hand, there are also cases where the pokemon looks smaller despite there seemingly being plenty of room to make it look larger (i.e. Tyranitar). It also doesn't explain why the sizes are off in Pokemon Camp, which one would think can work the same way as the overworld pokemon. That they did bother to make the scaling better in the overworld makes me really curious how much harder it is to apply it elsewhere.

The fact that I am ignorant of how difficult it would be to implement means I want to give Gamefreak the benefit of the doubt. At the same time, since they are basically halfway there already in having the pokemon be the right size (i.e. doing it for overworld and cutscenes already), I am hoping that next gen they can go all the way. We know proper scaling can be done, it was done for the Battle Revolution game, and perhaps whatever programming was used there could be copied or somehow applied to the system used in the mainline games. Heck, I'd even settle for larger pokemon just being positioned the way Dynamax pokemon are behind the player instead of in front, if this makes the programming easier.

This criticism comes from a place of love, as I love seeing the pokemon at their proper sizes in the overworld and would like to see it applied to the rest of the game. It makes everything feel more real and diverse, with the creatures that tower over you and the ones that run between your feet.

Likewise, them having and using walking and running animations for all the pokemon, and having smaller dexes to decrease the workload, makes me hopeful that following pokemon could come back as a mainstay feature. At first I thought this was unrealistic, that it'd be something reserved for the Let's Go games, but since now its looking like Gamefreak have no plans to continue those games (they sold well but it seems lacked the staying power they wanted), perhaps there is a chance to see it return.

This has been my positively hopeful monologue for the day.

I think there are a couple of problems they encountered when it comes to scaling the Pokémon in the battles themselves.

The first is that they HAVE run into this problem of Pokémon disappearing from sight before, or at least Genius Sonority did. One of the trainers in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness uses a Wailord and a Castform ("Big Pokémon, little Pokémon, I love them all!"), and between the tremendous size difference and that it's played on SD resolution, Castform just becomes somewhere between a little white dot and gone from sight. Nowadays, there are fully evolved Pokémon even smaller than Castform (not to mention not-fully-evolved Pokémon that are smaller than the then record-holders of Diglett and Natu), so even when played in HD, those Pokémon could still be rendered difficult to impossible to see. Though there is some degree of camera zoom--and this was done back then too--Pokémon battling in 3-D always follows the "180 degree" rule of camera work, namely that characters are always either on the left side of the screen or the right. In Pokémon's case, the player character and his or her allies are always on the left, and opponents are always on the right. It's kept this way to easily tell at a glance what's going on. (This is a general rule for all camerawork too. Go watch your favorite movies, TV shows, or cutscenes from 3-D games, and notice that within a scene, characters always stay on one side of the screen.) That means if Wailord's too big, it'll block smaller Pokémon behind it in a double battle.

The other is that they need to account for the Pokémon's Dynamaxed form. Eternatus they don't need to worry about (at least not yet), but you can see even in the non-stadium backgrounds, like the Max Raid Battles, they have various scenery in the back that would get in the way. I think they've remedied that by not putting Pokémon to scale with Dynamax, or at least downplaying it (Grookey is still smaller than, say, Vikavolt, but not that much smaller).

Bear in mind, though, that Your Size May Vary happens through all storytelling media and has been this way for all of human history, so it isn't that surprising to me for very large or very small Pokémon to change in size to suit the narrative (or requirements of the game).

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
i am bein attacked for wanting ice beam. i dont see why this is a big deal. its not like im demanding it, it is what it is.

i dont appreciate being called OCD

No offense but you’re the one who sounds like he knows absolutely nothing of what he’s talking about. You’re not being attacked, you’re being educated and too dense to see it. Now you can actually take the advice people are giving you or you can keep calling people nerds and sounding ignorant while getting no help. Your choice.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Did multi-battle for the first time... we all have Dragapult lol. Why do we all have Dragapult lol? I know the answer why but it's hilarious thinking about it.

ChavaWM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but how do I connect to other peoples max raid battles? My bf has sword and i have shield, we have the same wifi and we cant seem to connect to join raids and help each other out

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't know about you guys but man, were there always these many ghost-types in the metas? This one team I encountered recently has four ghost-types. Dragapult, Mimikyu, Chandelure and Eviolite Galarian Corsola.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I don't know about you guys but man, were there always these many ghost-types in the metas? This one team I encountered recently has four ghost-types. Dragapult, Mimikyu, Chandelure and Eviolite Galarian Corsola.

Might be a themed team, which comes up every now and then (and are usually a lot harder to beat than they look).