• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Only the online in Sword and Shield is crap. It disconnects far more often than on older games in the series, which very rarely did it.

Haven't had the disconnect problem in Smash, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Dauntless.

Just with Shield.

I have Shield, and my game has never disconnected once. And I have terrible internet. lol

You sure the problem isn't on your end, mate?

Aetius

I'm really glad they dcided to embrace DLC.
I'd liked if they avoided denying ever creating DLC though. XD
Either way, I'm excited for these new adventures in the Galar region.
And more importantly....no more third versions, which were getting quite old honestly

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I mean, I agree with you here, but we technically haven't had a "third version" (by definition) in 12 years now; we had B2&W2, nothing for X&Y, then USUM (the former being sequels, and the latter being third&fourth version I guess?)
USUM are third versions in the sense of enhanced versions of the games. The number count doesn’t change that especially since they grouped them together with Crystal, Emerald, & Platinum in the Direct

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I have Shield, and my game has never disconnected once. And I have terrible internet. lol

You sure the problem isn't on your end, mate?
Sure. Given that other games very rarely run into the issue. My speed is around 25mbps. What is it on your end? Just curious.

Basically this happens if I leave the game (not turn it off) for 3-5 minutes. Found some stuff to try though such as resetting my router though, so I'll be giving them a whirl. Only other guess is that it might be due to the router being older.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I think it's more to do with stability than speed. When I'm at my parents' I get disconnects on USUM but I never get disconnects when I'm at my own house (opponents rage quitting don't count here, that's not on my end), while the internet speed at my parents' is actually higher. It could be that Sword and Shield just kills the entire connection faster than other Switch games when it doesn't detect an internet connection for a short moment (even though turn-based games like pokémon should, at least in my opinion, allow some more leeway there)

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I think it's more to do with stability than speed. When I'm at my parents' I get disconnects on USUM but I never get disconnects when I'm at my own house (opponents rage quitting don't count here, that's not on my end), while the internet speed at my parents' is actually higher. It could be that Sword and Shield just kills the entire connection faster than other Switch games when it doesn't detect an internet connection for a short moment (even though turn-based games like pokémon should, at least in my opinion, allow some more leeway there)
Could be the case. Which is frustrating. Not doing trading or battling if I need to do other things. Don't need to be banned for 30-45 minutes due to a situation out of my control.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
No... I don't think they'd ever do that.
Now Sinnoh's Battle Frontier I could see getting added as a DLC, after all HGSS has Platinum's Battle Frontier. But not Sinnoh itself

There's more money value in releasing a full game, rather than making a $60 DLC that is locked behind a $60 game! Quite the turn off that pricing would be

I think if they were to do Battle Frontier DLC for SwSh, it would probably be a new Battle Frontier instead of Sinnoh's. Maaaybe even Hoenn's since that's more iconic.

I do think, however, that if we do get DP remakes, the remakes could get DLC as well to add Platinum content and other similar expansions. Since they seem to insist on the base game purely focusing on DP content, that could be a nice compromise. They'd have to include more than just Platinum to make it worth it though, at best they could make the Platinum stuff one pack, but they would have to include a second with original content, otherwise it would just be a case of paying $90 for a game that was previously $40.

DannyDiglett

I don't know in which thread I should post this so I've put it here in the general SwSh discussion. I was wondering about this:

Now that Galarian Slowpoke is revealed and with the confirmation that its evolutions will get Galarian forms as well plus the Kanto legendary bird trio, almost every Kanto Pokémon got at least one special treatment or addition in later generations such as a new evolution, pre evolution, mega evolution, regional variant or Gigantamax form. The amount of Pokémon that are still untouched becomes smaller every new generation.

Remaining untouched gen 1 Pokémon:

Spearow – Fearow
Ekans – Arbok
Nidoran♀– Nidorina – Nidoqueen
Nidoran♂- Nidorino - Nidoking
Paras – Parasect
Venonat – Venomoth
Psyduck – Golduck
Mankey – Primeape
Growlithe – Arcanine
Bellsprout – Weepinbell – Victreebel
Tentacool – Tentacruel
Doduo – Dodrio
Seel – Dewgong
Shellder – Cloyster
Drowzee – Hypno
Voltorb – Electrode
Goldeen – Seaking
Staryu – Starmie
Tauros
Ditto
Omanyte – Omastar
Kabuto – Kabutops
Dratini – Dragonair – Dragonite
Mew

Do you think these will eventually get something new too? I'm afraid the Kanto pampering isn't over yet.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't know in which thread I should post this so I've put it here in the general SwSh discussion. I was wondering about this:

Now that Galarian Slowpoke is revealed and with the confirmation that its evolutions will get Galarian forms as well plus the Kanto legendary bird trio, almost every Kanto Pokémon got at least one special treatment or addition in later generations such as a new evolution, pre evolution, mega evolution, regional variant or Gigantamax form. The amount of Pokémon that are still untouched becomes smaller every new generation.

Spearow – Fearow
Ekans – Arbok
Paras – Parasect
Venonat – Venomoth
Psyduck – Golduck
Mankey – Primeape
Growlithe – Arcanine
Tentacool – Tentacruel
Doduo – Dodrio
Seel – Dewgong
Shellder – Cloyster
Drowzee – Hypno
Voltorb – Electrode
Goldeen – Seaking
Staryu – Starmie
Tauros
Ditto
Omanyte – Omastar
Kabuto – Kabutops
Mew

Do you think these will eventually get something new too? I'm afraid the Kanto pampering isn't over yet.
Some of those are already in Sword/Shield.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Sure. Given that other games very rarely run into the issue. My speed is around 25mbps. What is it on your end? Just curious.

Basically this happens if I leave the game (not turn it off) for 3-5 minutes. Found some stuff to try though such as resetting my router though, so I'll be giving them a whirl. Only other guess is that it might be due to the router being older.

I'm not sure where my speed is, honestly. I just know the online lags a lot. lol

But even with all the lag, I've never been disconnected. The only game I ever where I get disconnections is Mortal Kombat 11.

I've left Shield on online in the Wild Area for over an hour, and nothing happens. Now, if you're referring to leaving out of the game, such as sleep mode or accessing the Switch menu, then yes. It will definitely disconnect. Moving outside of most games will break the connection.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ultra Sun and Moon went from a story about Lillie's family issues and her growth as a person to a story where all of Lillie's character development goes into the toilet because an alien space prism decided it didn't want Lusamine as the main antagonist anymore. I'd say more, but I'd like to avoid going on a rant.

That's not what happened. Lillie still had around the same development as she did in Sun and Moon. Minus Exeggutor Isle being cut out, most of what she had to say beyond background between her and Lusamine was moved over to the Murkrow Bridge. (Her I want to become a trainer part.)

We actually got the implications that Lillie called her mother out on her actions... all be off screen this time, with some of the things Lillie actually tells you prior. (Her conversation with Plumeria.) And the things we find in the post game and after RR shows how a combination of things, what Lillie said to her included, ended up affecting her and causing her to change for the better.

Lillie still has her farewell to Nebby as well, at Mahalo Trial this time with more reasoning behind it. (You and Nebby needing to help Necrozma rather than... out of the blue.) It's available right after the grand trial and Gladion points the way.

And I had issues with how SM ended for Lillie, she stood up to her mother... and WENT BACK TO HER IN THE END. Ditching all the friends and family she made on Alola I might add... and including Gladion who got stuck running the place he was abused in.

In comparison to Ultra, YES Lillie forgave Lusamine in this one as well, but after tending to Nebby, the two gone their separate ways. Lillie went back to Kukui's place and became a trainer proper. (RR with her Clefairy and to add in, she also has a cute crush moment after all is said and done.) And after RR is a damn good battle tree partner.

Lillie also stood up to Faba, stood up to Ghetsis (even when he was threatening her.) and was willing to protect her mother when push comes to shove... rather than just having you do all the work. (You are helping her as much as she is helping you.)

And the Necrozma thing taking Lusamine's place as the big bad. That woman is still the reason Necrozma went from a looming threat to an active threat, still the primary antagonist for most of the game and ended up being the reason Necrozma came and tried to eat the sun, taking over the spotlight.

I also argue that Lusamine never getting sick lead to some development for that woman along with some closure for the family, rather than just having a near death and us never hearing anything more from her again along with some lose ends left behind. So its a trade off I liked and Necrozma was a FAR better climax boss in comparison to the mother beast. (Things are actually at stake for you and the whole of Alola and you fight the fused monster this time.)

The biggest problem with Lillie and her family issues in Ultra is that it just wasn't the main focus this time, it's still a major part but you, Necrozma and the whole of Alola are the bigger focus.

You could argue that Lillie not being the center of the story is a downgrade, (Since it her arc is less detailed and less emotional.) but I think you and a lot of people are over blowing the damage and getting things wrong.

As for the big topic. My input is while third versions were a thing back then, they should have just been in the base games from the start and at the Switch Era, we are talking 60$ for what would be mostly the same game! The expansion packs were needed.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I'm not sure where my speed is, honestly. I just know the online lags a lot. lol

But even with all the lag, I've never been disconnected. The only game I ever where I get disconnections is Mortal Kombat 11.

I've left Shield on online in the Wild Area for over an hour, and nothing happens. Now, if you're referring to leaving out of the game, such as sleep mode or accessing the Switch menu, then yes. It will definitely disconnect. Moving outside of most games will break the connection.
Ah and the latter is what I did. The menu. I'll have to see what it does if I leave it on. That said, my Switch turns off after a bit. I'll have to check if it is set on sleep mode.

Just checked and it was set for sleep mode. Turned that off.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm just happy I get to do what I was trying to do last generation and pretend to be someone else though I can't think of much of a story reason for it. I got really close to Lillie's outfit last generation with a white shirt, white skirt, and platinum blond pigtails but it barely looked like her so I couldn't jokingly be like, "Hi, I'm Lilly!"

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
No offense, but I feel that more often than not, story expansions on third versions tend to be pretty underwhelming.

Suicune doesn't really add anything to Gen II's barebones story, and the new character Eusine is tied to Suicune, making him just as pointless by association.

Fighting both Team Magma and Aqua was cool in theory, but Game Freak was kinda bad at balancing their appearances. I mean, you battle Maxie three times and Archie once, which is less than you do in Sapphire. The hell's up with that?

The Distortion World was cool visually, but didn't really add much other than a new form for Giratina. Looker and Charon don't really do anything to change the story much. Heck, the latter doesn't do diddly squat during the story.

Ultra Sun and Moon went from a story about Lillie's family issues and her growth as a person to a story where all of Lillie's character development goes into the toilet because an alien space prism decided it didn't want Lusamine as the main antagonist anymore. I'd say more, but I'd like to avoid going on a rant.

And hey, it's not like we can't see old characters in the new locations. Plus, there's always possibility of more DLC to expand on characters.
This was my main reasoning for not wanting a 3rd version. In Crystal, Emerald, Platinum & especially USUM, they advertised new additions to the story and they ended up not adding enough or, in USUM’s case, botched an otherwise great story, Better to add to the story with the DLC like B2W2 did for BW

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I like that they're trying something different by going the DLC route, but I will echo the sentiment that I enjoyed the changes that came with USUM (though if it were me I would have made them one game to make it a better deal and like other third versions). Both the originals and Ultra versions had good enough stories, but I felt like they did some things better in the Ultra versions, particularly Lusamine. Yes, having a character who is ultimately just hopped up on mind altering venom as an antagonist was interesting and novel, it also meant we didn't ever really get the chance to see the real Lusamine. USUM Lusamine is more identifiable with as a character, as she is legit just a well-intentioned extremist with severe abandonment issues, and we get to see her actually address these issues rather than go into a convenient coma and stay offscreen for the rest of the game. We even get a bit of resolution with Mohn. The problem was that a lot of the changes to the story don't become obvious until quite late in the game.

But I digress, we're getting off topic. I'm eager to see what Mustard's dojo has to offer, as apparently the battles will have special rules that encourage the usage of pokemon that are normally overlooked. I wonder just what this will entail, like some kind of base stat restriction?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I like that they're trying something different by going the DLC route, but I will echo the sentiment that I enjoyed the changes that came with USUM (though if it were me I would have made them one game to make it a better deal and like other third versions). Both the originals and Ultra versions had good enough stories, but I felt like they did some things better in the Ultra versions, particularly Lusamine. Yes, having a character who is ultimately just hopped up on mind altering venom as an antagonist was interesting and novel, it also meant we didn't ever really get the chance to see the real Lusamine. USUM Lusamine is more identifiable with as a character, as she is legit just a well-intentioned extremist with severe abandonment issues, and we get to see her actually address these issues rather than go into a convenient coma and stay offscreen for the rest of the game. We even get a bit of resolution with Mohn. The problem was that a lot of the changes to the story don't become obvious until quite late in the game.

But I digress, we're getting off topic. I'm eager to see what Mustard's dojo has to offer, as apparently the battles will have special rules that encourage the usage of pokemon that are normally overlooked. I wonder just what this will entail, like some kind of base stat restriction?

What's more is Mustard having a back ground with Leon and while I think Leon IS a good character and one of the best champion battles we had. (Kukui and Hau don't count since they are challenging YOU.) This can expand on a few things and I'm interested in how the legendary pokemon will play out. I knew we were not getting a sequel due to how things resolved themselves with the dogs and Eternatus and stuff like what we are getting couldn't fit in the previous game engines. (I heard a lot of things about SM's game engine and Ultra changed things.)

I'll say it again, 30$ for two expansion packs vs 60$ for the exact same game with a few changes. I take the former over the later.

Ghost94

Spearow – Fearow
Ekans – Arbok
Paras – Parasect
Venonat – Venomoth
Psyduck – Golduck
Mankey – Primeape
Growlithe – Arcanine
Tentacool – Tentacruel
Doduo – Dodrio
Seel – Dewgong
Shellder – Cloyster
Drowzee – Hypno
Voltorb – Electrode
Goldeen – Seaking
Staryu – Starmie
Tauros
Ditto
Omanyte – Omastar
Kabuto – Kabutops
Mew

You bring up a good point, surely Game Freak does this to please old school fans. They can’t afford to lose the foundation of their fan base so we may very well see the Pokémon you listed receive special treatment at some point as well.