• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Julia Artemis

Japanese Pokemon YouTube just had a new video released of the new V series. But think it was just the same video from Worlds. But maybe it's a sign we can see a gear up of news soon. My guess is we will see at least 3-4 new trailers before November to get more hype going

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Then you're quite slow with the type matchups. I can generally reach a score of 16 (maximum individual score) within about 115 seconds, with 65 seconds still on the clock. My best individual score is 24, but I know of someone who manages even higher scores than that. You can also get group score to one star by playing on your own, no other mission has that.

It's not too important though, in USUM missions are far from the best way to farm FC. Interacting with Plaza guests with red names is far more efficient, you can get over 400 FC on a single lap interacting with 10 guests, and that's prior to fortune teller boosts. Fortune Tellers also barely affect gains from missions, but they flat out multiply the FC gains from interacting with guests or the Battle Agency. When you get a quadrupler you can get over 1600 FC in a matter of minutes interacting with guests, and you can repeat that every hour, I've got a stock of about a quarter million FC from it.

Perhaps I am pretty slow with the type matchups. Maybe I'm also in too much of a hurry and slow myself down as I run from player to player and sit through the Alola waving. (I think my highest score is 21.) Though I must admit the other reason I moved on to the other ones is because I get bored easily, and Type Matchups got really tiring after a while and I wanted a change of pace.

And yeah, my preferred way of getting large amounts of FC is Battle Agency. Problem is that it's so hard to find people who actually have worthwhile Pokémon to use. Most of them hardly ever play Battle Agency, so I've gotten kind of stuck when computer players are bringing out Pokémon with useful moves that go well with their stats while I find people with, say, Alolan Marowak with Rain Dance and Thunder.

So if the guide says around 500 Pokemon in the Galar Dex that makes it the biggest regional dex, Great but there's a huge difference here, There's no National Dex.
Lets say that Including gigantamax forms and regional forms (Which Alcreamie gets 20+ of) we get 125 or so new pokemon, That leaves 375 Pokemon of previous generations to fill up the rest of the Dex. Meaning Over 400 Pokemon from previous Generations wont be appearing in the game.:(

I don't know how these books work, but I doubt Gigantamax will take up quite the same amount of space as a regular Pokémon. A Gigantamax Pokémon's moves will be based on the moves the Pokémon could learn in its normal state. It'd be like with Mega Evolutions--they're different forms of a Pokémon, but the only functional differences are their stats, most of the time different Abilities, and sometimes different stats. But the core way you'd breed and raise one will still be the same and they will have the very same moves they can learn. I wouldn't see it practical to have more space for text for a Gigantamax Pokémon than, say, its artwork.

I really feel the need to jump in here and say that they clearly aren’t going to devote 26+ pages purely to Alcremie forms. It will get 1 page like the rest of the Pokémon. Maybe 2 pages if the forms are somehow different by more than just the colour palette, which they won’t be.

It doesn’t matter whether there’s 300, 400 or 500 Pokémon in the Galar dex. It’s sadly going to put constraints on team building which won’t be much fun for those in the competitive scene. Assuming we get 400 Pokémon, that would give you maybe 8 final stage fire Pokémon to choose from? Maybe you want a key ability like Intimidate or Swift Swim or Lightning Rod. You might get 2 of each option to choose from? Maybe you want a cleric or hazard setter? You might get 3 choices for those?

Basically it’s going to make teams very predictable and repetitive. Even in a casual setting. And yes previous VGC rules have always had limited choices for which Pokémon are allowed. But this is different. This effects egg moves and breeding chains. This effects people who battle outside of VGC rules. And we don’t even know how long the Dexit will last for. It could be permanent. Up until now we usually have a restricted Pokédex for the first year of the VGC rules for each new gen, and then the second year everything is included. That doesn’t seem likely anymore.

Depends on if you consider me as "competitive" or not, but I always build my first few teams based strictly on what's available in the Regional Pokédex, so this isn't going to bother me much.

I don't think it's going to be quite as bad in the long term as you think though. They are well aware of the negative response to not having every Pokémon available, and no doubt this has already affected how they'll plan out future games.

Those complaints just reinforce the notion that trying to bring Pokemon Go's audience into the main games was a fool's errand to begin with. There's a reason why the Go audience is so disconnected from the fandom, it's because they have very different expectations out of a video game than traditional console and handheld gamers. Mobile gamers are extremely casual and just looking for a quick distraction, of course they'd be overwhelmed by learning the mechanics of moves and typings and things of that nature. Most of that audience was never interested enough in video games to spend $360 on a dedicated gaming device + a Pokemon game nor were they interested in spending hundreds of hours on an RPG like Pokemon. That market just isn't very compatible with the main series on a fundamental level.

A healthy fanbase is one in which new people are constantly coming in, because in all fanbases, people are constantly leaving. New blood keeps the whole thing alive. Pokémon GO is the biggest source of new blood in Pokémon for a long time, possibly the second biggest in the franchise's history after the initial craze. From the perspective of The Pokémon Company, it would thus make sense to see if they can get this wave of newcomers into the central part of the franchise. I don't know how successful they were at it--people I've met who got into Pokémon GO and picked up Let's Go have been split 50-50 between entering the main series and it being too complicated for them.

That being said, bear in mind the rave reviews Let's Go got. Why did these game reviewers love Let's Go so much? Because they are not Pokémon fans. They don't have in-depth knowledge of how Pokémon games work, how they're structured, or what you're supposed to do when you begin. What they do know is basic video game logic and patterns derived from playing other games, and Let's Go turned out to be much more approachable to them. This is the audience that Let's Go managed to pick up. And a lot of these reviewers talk about interest in trying out the main series.

Let's Go is a gateway game, a transitional one, though it looks to me like it picked up a different audience than the one originally intended.

Best way to go about DLC would probably be something like New Super Luigi U, release the DLC along with the expanded version and let people choose which way they want to go. That way the people that already bought the original would be more interested in buying the upgrades and people that skipped it or feel like double dipping (maybe to use another team or what have you) can buy the full size game.

Yep, I think that's the best way to go about it. I just wanted to point out that decisions that may appear baffling to non-Japanese people make more sense in the context of Japanese video game culture, one of them being a preference of physical copies over DLC (though to be fair, there are many aspects of Japanese video game culture that baffle me). Game Freak, despite them caring very much about international appeal, seems to still be very much rooted in how Japanese gamers function.

The reluctance toward digital might be changing though, as the wild success of Undertale as of late might indicate. Nevertheless, Japan gets physical releases of games that are normally only avaialble digitally, like Tetris 99, Skullgirls, and Lethal League Blaze (all of which have September-October 2019 releases on the Switch). Digital is still available there, of course.

I'm not trying to mock them, it's just very surprising, that's all. If you're that interested in Pokemon that you bothered to join a dedicated forum for Pokemon, an environment full of dedicated fans, odds are you've probably been exposed to some other games in some form. Some random casual that doesn't really pay much attention to video games, I might be able to see that. But it's harder to believe that someone in an environment like this hasn't at least heard of some of the more well known video game releases outside of Pokemon.

Believe me, it was hard for me to comprehend when I encountered someone on YouTube whose knowledge of video gaming is so limited to Pokémon that he had never heard of most major releases for video games. I don't really know how it happened. The way he described 2-D platforming though, it sounded like he was familiar with the concept of that genre but not what it's called (consistently calling it "game(s) where you run and jump to the right" and calling 3-D platformers "game(s) where you move forward in three-dimensional space"). He had never heard of Super Mario Odyssey, only recently heard of Super Mario Galaxy, and could not recognize any Mario characters other than Mario himself, not even Luigi.

In this case, though, I wonder if it's not that someone is unfamiliar with Breath of the Wild but of the initials "BOTW." I mean, I've been in fandoms where people would throw out acronyms like "STTNG" and I'd be confused for a little bit--until I look further into it and find that it refers to Star Trek: The Next Generation, one of the most famous science fiction TV shows ever but very rarely abbreviated down to its initials outside of specific fan circles. (Acronym Finder rates "Breath of the Wild" as 5 stars in search importance though, which is higher than I had expected.)

Are we playing the same game? Pokemon's stories tend to feel almost exactly like that. Sure, you might have the evil team have some semblance of a recurring narrative, but they're not exactly necessary to the story and the story doesn't really get that serious until the end. They could easily rearrange or interchange some of the parts to the story and still make it work. Or just make most of the plot optional except for the climax.

They can still have this level of progression with an open world game, they just need to base it around distance, not progress. While players can go anywhere they want in an open world, the progression can still be controlled to some degree with smart world design. For one, players will always start in the same spot, so the areas closer to the starting area are the first ones they're likely to encounter. So they can place the more basic Pokemon types and trainer classes there. Second, players are most likely to be drawn by easily visible landmarks, so whatever jumps out at them first is most likely their next destination and conversely, whatever is well hidden is probably going to take them longer to find. They can use this to their advantage to create an intended order to progress through the game while still keeping it open ended for people who want to veer off and do what they want. They did this to some degree in older Pokemon games when you could choose the order of some gyms. You could do things like skip Lt. Surge and Erika, fight Blaine 4th, fight Pryce before Chuck and Jasmine, or fight Crasher Wake before Maylene or Fantina (Pt). But did most people do that? Probably not. Those gym leaders are usually fought in the order that they are because the path taken to reach them is more appealing/desirable than the alternative. They can do the same thing on a larger scale with open worlds, having the intended paths be shorter, clearer, and safer than the ones that aren't, but still give players the choice to be a little more daring if they want to.

It would be neat to see how a Pokémon game like you envisioned would play out, though I would still say that open world games could cause problems if Game Freak chooses to go for a more story-heavy direction. One example that comes to mind is Lillie and everything related to her. She has moments of character growth and development that are tied to particular locations, such as encountering an Ultra Wormhole near Heahea City, working up the courage to go back to Aether Foundation, and bonding with the player character on Exeggutor Island. (And, in the Ultra games, becoming a Pokémon trainer and partnering with the player character when they reach Rainbow Rocket HQ.) It wouldn't work quite as well if done out of order.

Something like the early games, or X and Y, where you're given the plot, then told to go at it, could work that way, but it looks like for Sword and Shield, there are several side characters who look like they have their own stories to tell, and some of whom may accompany you at certain points (such as that rumored challenge where you have to catch a lot of Pokémon). This could feasibly be done with a story like with Black and White, where the villains' story bits with you were largely unrelated to what Pokémon they were using or where they were located, though that moment when Alder has you defeat the little kids with Pokémon much, much lower-leveled than yours to demonstrate a point about taking battling too seriously might be trouble if someone gets there too early.

I still wonder how leveling would work though or gathering of HMs and HM-equivalents (like Poké Ride or those Eevee/Pikachu powers). There's already a sort of Metroidvania element to that (though downplayed in regions from Unova and onward) in that getting new overworld skills lets you open up more paths, where higher-leveled Pokémon reside and the next parts of the story happen. Certainly, there's a bit of trouble with Let's Go in which avid Pokédex collectors could face Sabrina as soon as they reach Saffron City--and promptly get trashed by her Level 50 Alakazam, who is much higher-leveled than Erika's or Koga's signature Pokémon (and is only slightly lower than Blaine's).

JohnLynch

Most of that audience was never interested enough in video games to spend $360 on a dedicated gaming device + a Pokemon game nor were they interested in spending hundreds of hours on an RPG like Pokemon
This doesnt make sense. These people had to be willing to buy a switch and Pokemon game or else they couldn't have complained about how hard it was.

Game Freak also doesnt care how long they play the game. Only whether or not they will buy the next one.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
This doesnt make sense. These people had to be willing to buy a switch and Pokemon game or else they couldn't have complained about how hard it was.

Game Freak also doesnt care how long they play the game. Only whether or not they will buy the next one.
Actually that interview posted just a little while back proves quite the contrary. They have spent the last few years trying to make Pokemon appeal to mobile gamers' standards. They've been doing a lot of things to reduce grinding time and simplify building competitive pokemon and/or progressing through the story because they fear people losing interest when they are used to mobile games that they play for 5 minutes and then put away. They have been completely ignoring actual RPG fans in order to attract mobile fans.

This is why the Friend Safari, Dex Nav, SOS chains, chains in Let's Go, and even breeding for IVs have all made it easier and faster to get pokemon with better IVs and why Super Training, Hordes, SOS chains, and the Poke Pelago have sped up EV training over the years. They don't want kids to get bored with the grind and put the game down, which would make them less likely to buy another game later.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Actually that interview posted just a little while back proves quite the contrary. They have spent the last few years trying to make Pokemon appeal to mobile gamers' standards. They've been doing a lot of things to reduce grinding time and simplify building competitive pokemon and/or progressing through the story because they fear people losing interest when they are used to mobile games that they play for 5 minutes and then put away. They have been completely ignoring actual RPG fans in order to attract mobile fans.
Reducing grinding is a good thing though. Otherwise you get a GSC/HGSS situation.

Grinding is RPG enemy #1!

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Reducing grinding is a good thing though. Otherwise you get a GSC/HGSS situation.

Grinding is RPG enemy #1!
Isn't GSC like reverse grinding with the inverse level curve after the E4? Like aside from Blue nobody in Kanto is actually stronger than Lance, and Janine is actually weaker than Clair. Aside from for Red I don't think GSC even features any grinding necessities unless you use over a dozen different pokémon.

Ning

My guess is the online dynamix raids are going to be super popular. Especially amongst friends. Some people get very stressed out by anything PvP (for a variety of reasons) but a cooperative format is for a different and very large audience.

I’m curious how hard the hardest ones will be. Will you actually need to have well trained Pokémon with correct teams?

Ning

I didn't say it was bad, I'm just saying that's why it's happening. That's also why a lot of people believe that the games really come off feeling lacking or unfinished in the last 6 years.
That’s how all games are now really. And I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Just different. Gaming in general has become much more mainstream and people don’t want or have the time to look up convoluted methods to get to the endgame.

I’d love a similar post game leveling system like Let’s Go (minus the easy grind to level 100 since that’s unnecesary really and they can just unhook hyper training from it).

Kangaflora

Japanese Pokemon YouTube just had a new video released of the new V series. But think it was just the same video from Worlds. But maybe it's a sign we can see a gear up of news soon. My guess is we will see at least 3-4 new trailers before November to get more hype going
I think the "V Series" will be referring to the Zacian V and Zamazenta V cards that will be released in the Sword and Shield set for the Pokémon Trading card Game; where Pokémon V will be the successor for Pokémon GX, like GX was for Pokémon-ex.

Ning

Idk how unpopular of an opinion it is, but I’d really like to see some of the mythical Pokémon lose their mythical status and become actually obtainable in game and useable in things like the battle tower for the non-OP ones.

I don’t want to see the idea of mythical Pokémon go away but would it be so horrible to have, say, Keldeo be treated identical to the other swords of justice?

Also, since it’s iconic, Mew always should remain mythical.

Kingudora

My favourite
Idk how unpopular of an opinion it is, but I’d really like to see some of the mythical Pokémon lose their mythical status and become actually obtainable in game and useable in things like the battle tower for the non-OP ones.

I don’t want to see the idea of mythical Pokémon go away but would it be so horrible to have, say, Keldeo be treated identical to the other swords of justice?

I agree, I wouldn't mind other mythical Pokémon getting the Deoxys treatment.

Or at least integrate them better in-game. Just receiving them via distribution feels a bit lack-lustre.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Agreed. Only don't keep Mew locked up behind a $50 paywall.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think it'd be interesting if you could get some mythicals through side quests like a Manaphy/Phione migration where they explain how the whole thing with those two works or a Shaymin migration, essentially it would involve getting the ones that exist in decent sized numbers or ones like Meloetta where it doesn't matter if you catch one because it won't affect the environment. Could even be a poacher plotline where you have to catch some mythicals and keep them safe.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I hope Meltan and Melmetal will be available in SwSh. I’d be pretty surprised if they aren’t since they haven’t been in a main series game yet.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to transfer them from Go/Let's Go to Home and then to Sword/Shield and there is no other way to get them.

DMB1985

I'd be happy to see mythicals released in a DLC pack if they came with a substantial story line included to add to the myth. Just receiving them via the internet really doesn't help them feel like they are anything special and I haven't really felt there's been anything particularly engaging about them since the days of going to a store miles away in order to get Mew.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to transfer them from Go/Let's Go to Home and then to Sword/Shield and there is no other way to get them.

But then you could trade them on, wonder, surprise, gts etc, hopefully you could evolve them in game though cause otherwise.... ugh...

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I wouldn't be either and I hate it since I haven't been able to get the transfer method to work and it's why for the most part why I don't bother.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
Late to the autosave thing but I was thinking about how and why I was possibly implemented so I have some theories/speculations.

Since we have the advent of the wild area which the majority of the game takes place in, I'm guessing it could possibly be implemented to save the player some time in case some bigger story elements occur. There are clearly areas in the trailers which we can see that the wild area is really...well big (whether it's big and full of content we'll see) but the point is that a staple of the franchise is that if you lose or if there is a certain story event after getting through a bigger area it becomes time consuming if anything happens (fainting, battery dies, etc) and sends you back to a pkmn center which could be a route or town over/ your last save point.

As we can see this map isn't really super linear as say...Unova. Looking at the wild area you don't even really see a Pkmn center to rest or anything like that really. Story events could potentially happen anywhere here.

My guess is that to mitigate these potential issues (though a minor one considering the games have always been pretty smooth sailing for the most part) the system is set to save before any important events. That way if you do happen to be in the wild area for an hour or so and something occurs you don't lose all your progress if you forget to manually save.

Obviously this is IF it is an auto-save feature and not just some checkpoint feature, which hey, I've been down for that since X and Y.