• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Is there an ideal amount of news influx for the Pokemon reveals?

From X and Y to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, people complained that there was too much news.
Pokemon Sword and Shield is now said to not have enough news.

Personally, I would like to know more about Pokemon (forms), but I can be spared of story details.
But adding to that, I will eventually find it all out later, anyway, so it isn't that important.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

From X and Y to Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, people complained that there was too much news.

Personally, I would like to know more about Pokemon (forms), but I can be spared of story details.
But adding to that, I will eventually find it all out later, anyway, so it isn't that important.
The people who complained during the XY and SM period don't have to be that people that complain now.
Also, I agree with you. I would rather have news regarding new Pokemon/forms than the story/characters

DSDark

Breeder

Sm was definitely too much. XY was pretty good. There were plenty of Pokemon we didn't know about which to me is the goal. Right now it feel like not enough but that's also under the idea that we'll get like 75+ new Pokemon. The worry though is the ratio of amount Pokemon shown to actual new Pokemon in the games. What if they've shown a lot

Mewizard

Personally I would like majority of the news to be new Pokemon and Forms with Introductions to new mechanics like Wild Area/Camp/Dynamax but keep the ins and outs of it to be discovered. As for the story I feel like they really should keep this to the bare minimum since the story usually follows the same or similar format every generation.

Kirinriki

Double Trouble
I mean they gave Kangaskhan, a Pokemon little people seemed to notice a mega. Nothing is really stopping them from giving older mons like Liloone or Wheezing a boost. What's stopping them there?

Nothing. I’m just saying Farfetch’d probably isn’t going to have a radical type change when it evolves because it isn’t special enough to warrant an exception to the norm, unlike Eevee. We’ll most likely get a pure Fighting Galarian Farfetch’d instead.

Kangaflora

Unfortunately, until we get more news about Sword and Shield, the only thing we can do is speculate in the Rumour and Speculation thread. Hopefully, once we get more details, we can have a discussion of that piece of news and whether or not it has helped us learn about the new Pokémon. We need to remember that Zacian and Zamazenta haven't had their types revealed yet. It was almost like with Solgaleo and Lunala when they cleverly hid the fact that both of them were the evolved forms of Cosmoem, who in turn was the evolved form of Cosmog, another fact we didn't know until the release of Sun and Moon. Game Freak (admittedly) are becoming more and more clever about how they release information about certain Pokémon, and a perfect example of this was Sylveon, because they cleverly hid the fact that it was (at the time) the newly discovered Fairy-type.

aa_623

Yes actually can completely rule out Kanto farfetch'd evolving into sirfetch'd.

Cubone evolves in alolan marowak because Kanto marowak already exists. Pikachu evolves into alolan Raichu because Kanto Raichu already exists. Hoenn Linoone does not evolve into obstagoon because obstagoon didn't already exist.

Now could they just introduce sirfetch'd as a regular evolution to farfetch'd, yes. However the fighting type prevents that from being the case. No Pokemon has ever completely changed typing when evolving. Cubone evolving into a ghost/fire marowak is different because it's alolan and there's already a marowak that makes sense evolving from Cubone, ground to ground.

So in conclusion Kanto farfetch'd will not evolve into sirfetch'd because sirfetch'd didn't already exist. Also because a flying/normal Pokemon can't evolve into a fighting type without there being a version of sirfetch'd that already exists with proper typing to evolve from farfetch'd.
Until they officially confirm it, we can't rule it out. We didn't get a pure Flying-type until Gen 5 with Tornadus. We didn't get a primary flying type until Gen 6 with Noibat and Noivern, and we have 2 more confirmed already for Gen 8. I remember way back before Gen 5, on this very forum, people saying we'd never get a pure or primary flying-type because it had never been done before. The "patterns" the fandom seems to grasp onto are broken by Gamefreak all the time. They can easily break the mold of having a Pokemon (apart from Eevee and Cubone) completely change its type upon evolution.

Until it's confirmed, it's not confirmed. Regular Farfetch'd could very well evolve only in Galar simply because it's in Galar. If they confirm Galarian Farfetch'd, then great. I don't see why regional evolutions have to be fit into the box of "only if they have a prior Galarian form." Until we have an official confirmation, my point stands. It can still go either way.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Until they officially confirm it, we can't rule it out. We didn't get a pure Flying-type until Gen 5 with Tornadus. We didn't get a primary flying type until Gen 6 with Noibat and Noivern, and we have 2 more confirmed already for Gen 8. I remember way back before Gen 5, on this very forum, people saying we'd never get a pure or primary flying-type because it had never been done before. The "patterns" the fandom seems to grasp onto are broken by Gamefreak all the time. They can easily break the mold of having a Pokemon (apart from Eevee and Cubone) completely change its type upon evolution.

Until it's confirmed, it's not confirmed. Regular Farfetch'd could very well evolve only in Galar simply because it's in Galar. If they confirm Galarian Farfetch'd, then great. I don't see why regional evolutions have to be fit into the box of "only if they have a prior Galarian form." Until we have an official confirmation, my point stands. It can still go either way.
How do u know if a pokemon is a primary flying type officialy?

aa_623

How do u know if a pokemon is a primary flying type officialy?
The first type is Flying. Noibat and Noivern are officially Flying/Dragon types. Not Dragon/Flying types. It doesn't change anything really, it's just the ordering of their types.

So all of the Normal/Flying birds have their primary type as Normal, their secondary type as Flying.

Kangaflora

^Exactly. Noibat and Noivern are unique in this way because they are primarily Flying-types with the Dragon type being a secondary type. Though I can also see the fact that the Trading Card Game has left a mystery unsolved regarding the Flying types as nearly all the Flying types have Fighting Resistance, instead of Fighting Weakness (I don't recall the likes of Doduo and Noctowl having Fighting Weakness, or Lightning Weakness and no Resistance for that matter).

janejane6178

It certainly wasn't me complaining about how much news we got during S/M, I thought it was awesome and it felt like non-stop hype! Now with SwSh it's very stop and go, like bumper to bumper traffic xD
Yes they were hyping SM like crazy, it was amazing in my opinion hehe

JohnLynch

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Thank you for admitting you don’t have facts to back up your claims . Perhaps in the future avoid passing off your wild speculation as facts. I suggest we drop it given
Why don't we move on and back to General Discussion. Thank you.

KillerDraco

Honestly, I see it less about the amount of news and more about what the news is about. My preference would be that they should give more news about what aspects are version exclusive, because this is relevant in the customers making an informed decision about which version to buy. MAYBE Starter evolutions as well given a fair amount of people want to know what they're committing to (I know many people are waiting with baited breath to see if Scorbunny ends up Fire/Fighting...), but everything else I'm fine with them keeping relatively hush hush. I enjoy discovering things in the games myself, especially new Pokemon and new evolutions, so just give me enough info to know which version I want to play and maybe which starter I'd like to stick with, and let the rest be left up to player discovery.

JohnLynch

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Honestly, I see it less about the amount of news and more about what the news is about. My preference would be that they should give more news about what aspects are version exclusive, because this is relevant in the customers making an informed decision about which version to buy.

This!! We're two months away from release and I still don’t know which version to pre-order because they haven’t shown any new version exclusive ‘Mons or even the types for the box legendaries.

If we do end up getting a trailer on Monday, I hope they finally reveal this stuff.

aa_623

Before they were Fairy types, Azurill is a pure normal type that evolves to pure water type Marill.
Ugh I always forget Azurill! It was pure Normal that evolved into pure Water before they created the Fairy-type. Another example. Fairy was also responsible for completely re-typing too as there are a few pure Normal-types that became pure Fairy-types. When Steel and Dark were introduced, they only added steel to Magnemite and Magneton.