1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

4.4%
  2. Yep

14.4%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

81.1%
  1. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Regional variants are my jam.

Yeah I agree, I was saying this before Ponyta being version exclusive was confirmed (as @SpiritSkye correctly predicted that G-Ponyta would be version exclusive)

I'd assume that we wouldn't know till launch (or a datamined early copy) as we'd see whether or they have other counterparts, I mean I guess they are counterparts in terms of reveals, but we'd see if they have other counterparts in terms of similar version exclusives.

2. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

i'll agree with you here. I suspect a regional evolution of something like Delibird for Shield.

3. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

Galarian Ponyta's description says that it absorbs life energy from the surrounding atmosphere, and that when there's a lot of that energy around, that its mane will sparkle and glow.

I have a theory that Ponyta in lore will have to absorb a certain amount of life energy before it can evolve into a fairy-type Rapidash with a mane that always glows. That seems like the sort of thing GF might do.

Or maybe they just didn't want it to be weak to poison. I guess only time will tell.

anjunajake, Chaser36, Ophie and 5 others like this.
  4. DaijobuPlease

DaijobuPlease Well-Known Member

The way I see it is that Knights (Swords and Shields) road horses and I just think of a monty python spoof of the horse rebelling against the knights. Or going on unicorns being hard to find theme knights and people have been searching for them but only pure of heart knights have been able to ride a pegasus or unicorn or whatever (ie Fire Emblem). At least thats my thinking theme wise and counterparts per-say. THE horses are SICK OF BEING RIDDEN ITS TIME TO REBEL!

5. Paige712

Paige712 Active Member

Why why is it not fairy!! God damn it my brain just can't comprehend it. It's a unicorn and lives in a fairy forest. I just argh! "brain glitches"

Fairy Queen likes this.
  6. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan trainer

I know it’s next Wednesday, but does anyone know what time the GF anniversary stream starts?

wolf jani likes this.
  7. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

Hopefully Lockstin & Gnoggin or Bird Keeper Toby will make a theory video explaining why Ponyta’s a Psychic type.

I’m fine with the typing & I understand the reasoning from a design aspect, but I’m a little confused when looking at Ponyta’s lore. A unicorn whose mane glows from absorbing the forest’s life energy just screams Fairy type to me.

Wait, there’s an anniversary stream next week?!

Dragon Pulse likes this.
  8. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Blizzard Maiden

Ironically the stat line of the base form of Rapidash is more that of a frailish physical attacker. The stats of the potential G-Rapidash will definitely need more than the minor stat tweaking the Alolan forms got if is going for the defensive special attacker route.

Ophie, wolf jani and Ignition like this.
  9. Saddlers_End

Saddlers_End Active Member

IIRC the 30th anniversary stream on the 16th will showcase Town, Giga Wrecker Alt, and their "Gear Project System." The tweet that the information is from does not explicitly say that they will go over Sword/Shield, though I sure do hope they do.

Edit: As for what time it happens, I do not believe that has been announced yet. The information I was just looking at only said that it was happening on October 16th. I might be missing something though

Ophie, wolf jani and clbgolden12 like this.
  10. Giblie

Giblie Dragon Pokemon Fan

As much I was little disappointed on the Pshychic type, I will still be using it. I do have some Psychic types that I do like. I just hope Galarian Rapidash will get a secondary type.

And a bit disappointing that it is version exclusive since I wanted Shield, but my sister wants Sword. (We do not have separate Switches and I don't like that you pretty much have to pay money to be able to trade.) We will figure out how she can get one.

I do love the official ar though! Can't wait to see the whole pokedex so I can finally plan out my team.

Ophie, wolf jani and AgentKallus like this.
  11. Pikachu111213

Pikachu111213 Kid from Pallet Town

Ok so I’m super late to the party as I’ve been at work sooooo forgive me:
    Wow. Psychic type for Ponyta? That’s pretty crazy. Still love the design tho. In fact may even use it (even tho I’m getting Sword) as before I was going to use Impidimp instead of it as I thought it was a fairy type. But now I can use them both :) I hope it gets another ability tho. Or run away changes upon evolution...
    Also, LOVE the way Glimwood Tangle looks. Even after staring at it for almost 24 hours, it is so pretty. Reminds me of a nighttime Pandora.
    As to the sobble interview, I find it interesting and exciting that James Turner said he likes Sobble’s evolutions’ designs.

12. Kyuu-Tales

Kyuu-Tales 織田信長☆FAN

Something that's worth pointing out is the motif that exists by combining these new Pokemon. Knights often jousted on horseback, so Sirfetch'd and Galarian Ponyta are kind of like a complete package deal in that regard.

Also, for those of you who may not know, there's a bit of a pun inherent in one of Galarian Ponyta's defining features. The Japanese term for a horse's mane is たてがみ, which can be broken down to mean several things. And, well... たて is actually the word for shield. (The がみ can mean "high class" or "graceful", which kind of makes sense.)

13. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

Eh I'm ok with it, it's weird but we did always think a unicorn Pokemon would be psychic. It's not like Ponyta will be weak, either, it just has 1 extra weakness.

wolf jani likes this.
  14. Dicklaycia

Dicklaycia Objectively Better Than You

I definitely didn’t see the Psychic type or the version-exclusivity to Shield coming for Galarian Ponyta. I’ll just add it to the amassing list of reasons for buying the Shield version over Sword! Even though it is a version-exclusive Pokémon like Sirfetch’d was, I am still doubting that they are counterparts to one another. The lines are too different to me, not just in typing but also evolutionary stages. I feel like there are more version-exclusive regional variants to come.

wolf jani and AgentKallus like this.
  15. Dragon Pulse

Dragon Pulse Well-Known Member

I just wanna know the Legendaries' typings and the full version exclusives before deciding which one I'm gonna go for first, but I doubt we'll know any of those till the games are released.

16. Marzbar

Marzbar Well-Known Member

It could have been done better. A lot better. Nobody was praising it this much during the actual boring stream. Everybody is praising it in hindsight because they’ve forgotten how painfully uneventful it was.

17. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

Hopefully, we won't have to wait long to see Galarian Rapidash, unless they pull another Alolan Persian on us.

wolf jani likes this.
  18. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

So I'm watching Game Informer's 101 Rapid-Fire video for Sword & Shield, and the revelations are just astounding. Just popping off a few:

- Dynamax forms are visual projections of a pokemon, rather than an actual transformation.
    - Pokémon games are (as of recent years) designed so players can play the games as easily or difficult as they choose, which is why a difficulty option has not been added.
    - Random encounters occur both in and outside of the Wild Area.
    - Despite Team Yell, Marnie herself is not a villain.
    - Pokémon Sword & Shield is considered by Game Freak the most difficult game they have ever produced.
    - (at least as of right now) Starters will never be any primary type other than Grass, Fire, or Water.
    - It is confirmed that pokemon are just barely sentient beings.
    - Junichi Masuda doubts Game Freak will ever produce another IP for Nintendo ever again.

You can watch the video below. It's pretty neat. I don't know if it's the editing, but Masuda and Ohmori are pretty brutally honest. lol

anjunajake, Ophie and wolf jani like this.
  19. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "WOOO! Who needs medicine?!"

Yeah, we've seen that already. Though I'm not sure the devs were being completely honest with some of the answers they gave.

anjunajake, wolf jani and Inoshi like this.
  20. Beloberto

Beloberto Bug Catcher

Other than the website literally putting them side by side (https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/gameplay/version-exclusives/), they getting unusual reveals just for themselves back-to-back, Famitsu getting a double article on them, I don't think they will go any more clear on that. So just wait until the game is out.

anjunajake and wolf jani like this.