1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

4.4%
  2. Yep

14.4%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

81.1%
  1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "WOOO! Who needs medicine?!"

Thunder Armor is real then?

Ophie likes this.
  2. EmeraldArcanine

EmeraldArcanine #TeamScorbunny

Idk what Thunder Armor is so I can't really answer that. x.x
    Also idk what that has to do with their sentience.

3. Beloberto

Beloberto Bug Catcher

So, I stole this from 4chan because I found it really interesting. It is a cover up of every reveal season starting from Gen II all the way down to VI, detailed by generation, year and month:
    [​IMG]
    (pokémon in shadows stands for when they leaked/were revealed but unnoficially)

Even though I've been around for that whole time, I had forgot most of that and I think that's really interesting. Particularly as far as starters go:

- Before Gen V, the starters were never revealed early, but just a few months before the game was released.
    - The middle stages also were never revealed before the game before Gen V.
    - With the exception of Blaziken, they only started revealing the final stages starting from Gen VI.

I found that interesting because it shows how much we take for granted things that only happened a couple of times before. We have people going mad and screaming since early September because the middle stages were not shown already as if it was some sort of tradition to have access to them early, but we only got them on the last 3 times. The final forms, only the last 2 times. Maybe spoilers are to blame, they really "spoil" us.

4. AuraChannelerChris

Tate & Liza Gym Battle:
    - Thunder Armor: Pikachu uses Thunder on itself and Swellow. This improvised technique increases both Pikachu and Swellow's Speed and Attack, allowing them to subdue their opponents with relative ease.

You see what's wrong with that, right.

In other words, the anime has its own interpretation of Pokemon lore and such, and therefore is not a reliable source to use to defend the games. If they did, the games would have sank a long time ago.

Using all of the manga adaptations is also as foolish. They are all their own thing and aren't working closely together with the games, except for very little special occasions (the most blatant being Ash-Greninja).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

The anime is not canon to the game series, and Game Freak has nothing to do with the anime.

6. Inoshi

Inoshi Though man lover

Anybody think Meltan and Melmetan will be part of the Galarian pokedex or Galar in general? I know they were introduced in Let's Go but do we know that they actually are Kanto pokemon (as in just discovered in Kanto) lorewise?

I agree regarding the Anime being different than the games but there is still something bizarre in that answer, as even in the games pokemon seem to be highly intelligent creatures able to understand people and even communicate and cooperate with them and with each other. That they are "barely sentient" is really hard to believe both in the anime and in the games, they feel emotion and pain, and if I had to guess I'd say the developers didn't understand the question or the translator got it wrong or something of the sort

7. Zachmac

Zachmac Well-Known Member

I'm surprised so many people are freaking out over Ponyta's typing. Sure Fairy seemed obvious at first, but in hindsight Psychic-type seems like the second most fitting type. We've seen it associated with elusive (Abra, Raltz, Mew) and mystical (Delphox, Mew) plenty of times before. A lot of psychic-types are also pretty closely tied to light (Espeon, Latios/Latias, Cosmog, Ultra Necrozma).

I'm not saying Fairy typing wouldn't be more fitting, but Psychic still kind of makes sense in its own way.

Chaser36, Ophie, Mr.Fiend and 6 others like this.
  8. AuraChannelerChris

Ahem.

Sudowoodo.

Stunfisk.

9. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 25 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

Psychic for Galarian Ponyta is not too Farfetch'd.

Chaser36, Genos, DSDark and 5 others like this.
  10. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Thunder Trainer

That & it’s 2019, where everyone freaks out over everything and blows being wrong way out proportion

11. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

Sudowoodo's typing is explained canonically though. Its body composition is closer to a rock than a plant, as explained by its Pokedex entries. Even its name is a combination of "pseudo", a prefix meaning false or imitation, and wood, meaning its name arguably translates to "false wood".

12. Marzbar

Marzbar Well-Known Member

The more I think about the Galarian region and the Gen 8 Pokémon designs we have so far, the more I think that Stakataka should have been reserved for Gen 8 rather than Gen 7. The medieval castle design would have been perfect! But with a Rock/Ghost typing instead.

13. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Time to get spooky! Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, that would have been perfect. Your idea would be a nice Galarian form of it.

Ophie, ghostedZorua and wolf jani like this.
  14. Sceptrigon

Sceptrigon Armored Guardian

Gen 6 seemed like the start of building greater commercial hype for the series in general, especially with introducing worldwide releases for the games. All of the 20th anniversary stuff allowed that hype to continue throughout Gen 7. Now that all of that has been established and gotten over with, I suppose the company is deciding to slow down at the moment.

Chaser36, Mewizard and Ophie like this.
  15. AuraChannelerChris

That's less about meaningful play of words and more about how people initially thought it was a Grass-type before everyone got used to it being a Rock-type.

Ignition and Ophie like this.
  16. Fairy Queen

Fairy Queen Lover of the Fairy type

As someone who has complained about the lack of information revealed, I do have to say this really puts things into perspective. Personally, I preferred Gen VII's pre-release marketing, but I am very grateful for what we have gotten thus far, in comparison to other generations. It could be worse.

Having said that though, I think one of the reasons this gen's pre-release is being criticized a lot is because:

a) they keep revealing things that will be removed from the game, but haven't released a whole lot of to justify it (mega evolutions, pokemon being removed, z-crystals, etc.)
    b) the last generation prior revealed a ton of stuff, and even Gen V and VI revealed quite a bit, so we have been anticipating the momentum to continue
    c) each recent generation is getting less and less pokemon, so people are naturally scared there will be even less this gen

Anyway, very interesting to see the release schedules. I wish I was involved in the online communities back then.

17. aa_623

aa_623 Well-Known Member

This really is a great visual especially concerning the pre-release for the older generations. I've been following Pokemon since the beginning and boy I remember seeing Ho-Oh for the first time in the first episode of the anime and having to wait years to get the rest of the Gen 2 dex.

18. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

I could be fine with lots of new Pokemon reveals if and only if there's still half of the Dex or game features hidden. Gen 7 just looks sad.

Inb4 someone argues that it'll be datamined anyway... well, in Gen 7, there really wasn't much Pokemon and features left to uncover, even with the leak. One of the "joys" of datamining is the amount of stuff that have yet been found. Gen 7 was disappointing. I think the coverage for it was also quickly done compared to Gen 6.

19. Ophie

Ophie Salingerian Phony

I can see use for Pastel Veil in online battling. This seems to be the answer to dealing with Toxapex.

They might not be counterparts. There may still be a cross-generational evolution for Shield and a two-stage Galarian form for Sword.

It is possible that Impidimp doesn't evolve and just stays as it is. Though what I still think is that Impidimp evolves into something resembling a gargoyle. I had thought about the devout religious households when Impidimp was revealed, and I was wondering what the decision was to approve it in this game. As it stands, it looks like all sorts of mischievous mythical creatures, not just demons, which is why I think they're comfortable with adding it to the game. Gargoyles seem a pretty safe concept, considering they look demonic but are actually protectors in religious folklore (which is why you sometimes see them on churches and is why Gargoyles, the animated series, had the premise it did). And technically, the term would be a"grotesque" if it doesn't channel water away from the building, but the word "gargoyle" is more easily understood.

Then there's the possibility that it's based on trolls, like the creatures who guard bridges. It'd be fitting, in that case, if they repeatedly show Impidimp and not say anything about it.

I aslways had an affinity for the Psychic-type since the beginning, when I realized most of my TCG decks ran primarily on Psychic Energy. I'm cool with it like this too. The Psychic-type, I feel, is the one that got thrown by the wayside the most when the Fairy-type was introduced.

It'sa pretty common thing for unicorns to do in fiction nowadays, not just Friendship Is Magic. (It's also something the unicorns have been able to do in My Little Pony since Generation I.) I don't think there are that many unicorn-themed works right now that have unicorn magic in quite as much detail as Friendship Is Magic though.

Don't forget that pegasi in Friendship Is Magic are also able to use psychic powers, though they are limited to telekinesis on objects and living things in contact with them, which is how they're able to do stuff like carry carts in the sky without them hanging downwards or lift other ponies into the clouds.

Indeed. There is also the idea that a unicorn can sense the thoughts of people around them and is the basis for them being friendly only to virgin women.

Which reminds me--now that Galarian Ponyta is confirmed Psychic-type, we currently have an equal number of Fairy-types and Dragon-types at 40 each, including Mega Altaria. Without Mega Altaria, there are still more Dragon-types than Fairy-types.

Which is pretty rich considering in Generation I, Psychic was the game-breaking type. It's even acknowledged in-game in which Saffron City's Gym used to be Fighting-type, but Sabrina and her Psychic-types came by and stomped them, then it got heavily nerfed in Generation II with the Dark-type. I don't think the Psychic-type started getting really shafted until later, however, when stronger Ghost-types appeared in Generation III and stronger Bug-types appeared in Generation V.

Version exclusives are usually not tied to the games' names when they're not Legendary Pokémon, so I don't think it's something to take much stock in.

As for the Day Care, I'm thinking about how the ones for FireRed/LeafGreen and Black 2 and White 2 weren't available until the postgame...

There isn't any reason to assume an alicorn Galarian Rapidash would gain the Flying-type. Run Away may be replaced with Levitate, like what happens with Trapinch's Arena Trap.

Alolan Exeggutor got the Dragon-type because it's partially based on the Dracaena genus, which is also known as the Dragon Plant. With that in mind, why wouldn't it be Grass/Dragon?

[​IMG]

They've had them since the beginning. The Oddish line is a counterpart to the Bellsprout line, the Growlithe line is a counterpart to the Vulpix line, and Electabuzz is a counterpart to Magmar (and is the reason why they both got evolutions in Diamond and Pearl but not Jynx--she isn't a counterpart to either of them).

A general rule is that every version exclusive has something in the other version as part of the same-length evolutionary line. When cross-generation evolutions were introduced, any version-exclusive one would be counterbalanced with a version-exclusive one in the other. Diamond's Honchkrow got a Pearl counterpart in Mismagius, both of them descended from underpowered Generation II Pokémon. X got Mega Pinsir, Mega Houndoom, and Mega Aggron while Y got Mega Heracross, Mega Manectric, and Mega Tyranitar. Generation VII introduced regional forms, with Sun getting the Alolan Vulpix line and Moon getting the Alolan Sandshrew line.

You won't learn all of the version exclusives until the games come out. It's always been that way. They never mentioned, for instance, that the Houndour line and the Electrike line would remain opposite-version exclusives in Generation VII.

Okay. I'll raise you one. Here is the full list of version-exclusive counterparts I can come up with. These are limited only to Pokémon introduced in that generation, including regional forms and Mega Evolutions.

GENERATION I
    Ekans line & Sandshrew line
    Growlithe line & Vulpix line
    Oddish line & Bellsprout line
    Mankey line & Meowth line
    Scyther & Pinsir
    Electabuzz & Magmar

GENERATION II
    Spinarak line & Ledian line
    Gligar & Delibird (possibly)
    Teddiura line & Phanpy line
    Mantine & Skarmory (less now than beforenow that their base stat totals aren't the same)

GENERATION III
    Seedot line & Lotad line
    Mawile & Sableye
    Zangoose & Seviper
    Solrock & Lunatone
    Latios & Latias
    Groudon & Kyogre

GENERATION IV
    Cranidos line & Shieldon line
    Honchkrow & Mismagius
    Stunky line & Purugly line
    Dialga & Palkia

GENERATION V
    Gothita line & Solosis line
    Vullaby line & Rufflet line
    Tornadus & Thundurus
    Zekrom & Reshiram

GENERATION VI
    Mega Pinsir & Mega Heracross
    Mega Houndoom & Mega Manectric
    Mega Aggron & Mega Tyranitar
    Swirlix line & Spritzee line
    Clauncher line & Skrelp line
    Xerneas & Yveltal

GENERATION VII
    Alolan Vulpix line & Alolan Sandslash line
    Passimian & Oranguru
    Turtonator & Drampa
    Solgaleo & Lunala
    Buzzwole & Pheromosa
    Kartana & Celesteela

As was mentioned before, folklorically, unicorns have been able to detect and dispel poison, which is why Pastel Veil works the way it does. It wouldn't make sense for a Pokémon with that trait to also be weak to Poison.

Well, Rapidash, at least the original version, is pure Fire, and that's a unicorn.

The most difficult game they've ever produced? More so than Giga Wrecker?

Also Malamar. Dragalge to a lesser extent. Nihilego too, though it being an Ultra Beast made people more accepting, as they're supposed to be bizarre and unexpected.

Now I wonder if there are enough Pokémon to make a team out of Pokémon themed on aquatic life who aren't Water-type. (And if Hippowdon counts.)

20. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Regional variants are my jam.

I really hope that they are in, other wise they'll have only one game where they are useable. They have abilities ,right, and you can't use abilities in let's go so hopefully that points them being in.

With the limited dex situation I'm hoping most of the Pokémon included are just standard Pokémon, we don't need all the legendaries and mythicals but the Meltan line are an exception to that way of thinking.

Yeah that comment doesn't fit with any of the established lore. Perhaps it was a mistranslation and they meant barely sapient as in most Pokémon are cleverer than a dog or a cat but not as clever as a human.

Also different Pokémon species have different levels of intelligence according to the Pokédex ( like Bidoof and Metagross) so the best answer to this question would have been that their intelligence varies.