• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Beloberto

Bug Catcher

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
So, I stole this from 4chan because I found it really interesting. It is a cover up of every reveal season starting from Gen II all the way down to VI, detailed by generation, year and month:
1570648844148.jpg

(pokémon in shadows stands for when they leaked/were revealed but unnoficially)

Even though I've been around for that whole time, I had forgot most of that and I think that's really interesting. Particularly as far as starters go:

- Before Gen V, the starters were never revealed early, but just a few months before the game was released.
- The middle stages also were never revealed before the game before Gen V.
- With the exception of Blaziken, they only started revealing the final stages starting from Gen VI.

I found that interesting because it shows how much we take for granted things that only happened a couple of times before. We have people going mad and screaming since early September because the middle stages were not shown already as if it was some sort of tradition to have access to them early, but we only got them on the last 3 times. The final forms, only the last 2 times. Maybe spoilers are to blame, they really "spoil" us.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Idk what Thunder Armor is so I can't really answer that. x.x
Tate & Liza Gym Battle:
- Thunder Armor: Pikachu uses Thunder on itself and Swellow. This improvised technique increases both Pikachu and Swellow's Speed and Attack, allowing them to subdue their opponents with relative ease.

You see what's wrong with that, right.

In other words, the anime has its own interpretation of Pokemon lore and such, and therefore is not a reliable source to use to defend the games. If they did, the games would have sank a long time ago.

Using all of the manga adaptations is also as foolish. They are all their own thing and aren't working closely together with the games, except for very little special occasions (the most blatant being Ash-Greninja).

Last edited:

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
Anybody think Meltan and Melmetan will be part of the Galarian pokedex or Galar in general? I know they were introduced in Let's Go but do we know that they actually are Kanto pokemon (as in just discovered in Kanto) lorewise?

The anime is not canon to the game series, and Game Freak has nothing to do with the anime.
I agree regarding the Anime being different than the games but there is still something bizarre in that answer, as even in the games pokemon seem to be highly intelligent creatures able to understand people and even communicate and cooperate with them and with each other. That they are "barely sentient" is really hard to believe both in the anime and in the games, they feel emotion and pain, and if I had to guess I'd say the developers didn't understand the question or the translator got it wrong or something of the sort

Last edited:

Zachmac

I'm surprised so many people are freaking out over Ponyta's typing. Sure Fairy seemed obvious at first, but in hindsight Psychic-type seems like the second most fitting type. We've seen it associated with elusive (Abra, Raltz, Mew) and mystical (Delphox, Mew) plenty of times before. A lot of psychic-types are also pretty closely tied to light (Espeon, Latios/Latias, Cosmog, Ultra Necrozma).

I'm not saying Fairy typing wouldn't be more fitting, but Psychic still kind of makes sense in its own way.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm surprised so many people are freaking out over Ponyta's typing. Sure Fairy seemed obvious at first, but in hindsight Psychic-type seems like the second most fitting type. We've seen it associated with elusive (Abra, Raltz, Mew) and mystical (Delphox, Mew) plenty of times before. A lot of psychic-types are also pretty closely tied to light (Espeon, Latios/Latias, Cosmog, Ultra Necrozma).

I'm not saying Fairy typing wouldn't be more fitting, but Psychic still kind of makes sense in its own way.

Ahem.

Sudowoodo.

Stunfisk.
That & it’s 2019, where everyone freaks out over everything and blows being wrong way out proportion

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Ahem.

Sudowoodo.

Sudowoodo's typing is explained canonically though. Its body composition is closer to a rock than a plant, as explained by its Pokedex entries. Even its name is a combination of "pseudo", a prefix meaning false or imitation, and wood, meaning its name arguably translates to "false wood".

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
The more I think about the Galarian region and the Gen 8 Pokémon designs we have so far, the more I think that Stakataka should have been reserved for Gen 8 rather than Gen 7. The medieval castle design would have been perfect! But with a Rock/Ghost typing instead.
Agreed, that would have been perfect. Your idea would be a nice Galarian form of it.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
So, I stole this from 4chan because I found it really interesting. It is a cover up of every reveal season starting from Gen II all the way down to VI, detailed by generation, year and month:
1570648844148.jpg

Even though I've been around for that whole time, I had forgot most of that and I think that's really interesting. Particularly as far as starters go:

- Before Gen V, the starters were never revealed early, but just a few months before the game was released.
- With the exception of Blaziken, they only started revealing the final stages starting from Gen VI.

I found that interesting because it shows how much we take for granted things that only happened a couple of times before. We have people going mad and screaming since early September because the middle stages were not shown already as if it was some sort of tradition to have access to them early, but we only got them on the last 3 times. The final forms, only the last 2 times. Maybe spoilers are to blame, they really "spoil" us.

Gen 6 seemed like the start of building greater commercial hype for the series in general, especially with introducing worldwide releases for the games. All of the 20th anniversary stuff allowed that hype to continue throughout Gen 7. Now that all of that has been established and gotten over with, I suppose the company is deciding to slow down at the moment.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sudowoodo's typing is explained canonically though. Its body composition is closer to a rock than a plant, as explained by its Pokedex entries. Even its name is a combination of "pseudo", a prefix meaning false or imitation, and wood, meaning its name arguably translates to "false wood".
That's less about meaningful play of words and more about how people initially thought it was a Grass-type before everyone got used to it being a Rock-type.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
1570648844148.jpg

As someone who has complained about the lack of information revealed, I do have to say this really puts things into perspective. Personally, I preferred Gen VII's pre-release marketing, but I am very grateful for what we have gotten thus far, in comparison to other generations. It could be worse.

Having said that though, I think one of the reasons this gen's pre-release is being criticized a lot is because:

a) they keep revealing things that will be removed from the game, but haven't released a whole lot of to justify it (mega evolutions, pokemon being removed, z-crystals, etc.)
b) the last generation prior revealed a ton of stuff, and even Gen V and VI revealed quite a bit, so we have been anticipating the momentum to continue
c) each recent generation is getting less and less pokemon, so people are naturally scared there will be even less this gen

Anyway, very interesting to see the release schedules. I wish I was involved in the online communities back then.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I could be fine with lots of new Pokemon reveals if and only if there's still half of the Dex or game features hidden. Gen 7 just looks sad.

Inb4 someone argues that it'll be datamined anyway... well, in Gen 7, there really wasn't much Pokemon and features left to uncover, even with the leak. One of the "joys" of datamining is the amount of stuff that have yet been found. Gen 7 was disappointing. I think the coverage for it was also quickly done compared to Gen 6.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh, wow. I was Team Sword particularly because of Zacian's design, but that could be the deal breaker for me. I like Galarian Ponyta a lot.

Pastel Veil seems interesting as an ability (excl. Online); heals ally Pokémon from Poison upon switch in and prevents poison status while it is the Active Pokémon.

I can see use for Pastel Veil in online battling. This seems to be the answer to dealing with Toxapex.

I like G-Ponyta but I like Sirfetch'd more for the simple reason that it's a new Pokemon and not just a regional form and for me that's better content.

It's also weird to consider them counterparts. I expect another pair with a regional form for Sword and an cross-gen evolution for Shield.

They might not be counterparts. There may still be a cross-generational evolution for Shield and a two-stage Galarian form for Sword.

I'm a bit skeptical that Impidimp is actually going to evolve into a demon. It would make sense from a logical progression (imps are often depicted as weak demons themselves), but rationalizing a demon as a Fairy type would be tough given that demons are almost always depicted as pure evil in nature. Were we to ever get a demon Pokemon it would most likely be pure Dark, or perhaps Dark/Fire or Dark/Fighting or something along those lines. Dark/Fairy would be much tougher to justify, and losing the secondary Fairy typing would ruin the most unique thing Impidimp has going for it so far.

There's also the fact that adding a literal demon to Pokemon probably wouldn't do them any favors in the eyes of fundamentalist parents who still think Pokemon is demonic/satanic, but I'm not sure how much TPC cares about that. These days most of those types of people probably aren't the kinds of people to buy video games for their children anyways, so I can't imagine they make up a large portion of TPC's sales.

It is possible that Impidimp doesn't evolve and just stays as it is. Though what I still think is that Impidimp evolves into something resembling a gargoyle. I had thought about the devout religious households when Impidimp was revealed, and I was wondering what the decision was to approve it in this game. As it stands, it looks like all sorts of mischievous mythical creatures, not just demons, which is why I think they're comfortable with adding it to the game. Gargoyles seem a pretty safe concept, considering they look demonic but are actually protectors in religious folklore (which is why you sometimes see them on churches and is why Gargoyles, the animated series, had the premise it did). And technically, the term would be a"grotesque" if it doesn't channel water away from the building, but the word "gargoyle" is more easily understood.

Then there's the possibility that it's based on trolls, like the creatures who guard bridges. It'd be fitting, in that case, if they repeatedly show Impidimp and not say anything about it.

Psychic used to be my favorite type before Fairy was introduced so I’m happy with this. I still love Fairy best but this way I can have G-Ponyta without taking up my Fairy slot.

Also, Serebii said the Dynamax Cam has been updated to include G-Weezing, Sirfetch’d, G-Ponyta and Obstagoon.

I aslways had an affinity for the Psychic-type since the beginning, when I realized most of my TCG decks ran primarily on Psychic Energy. I'm cool with it like this too. The Psychic-type, I feel, is the one that got thrown by the wayside the most when the Fairy-type was introduced.

I still don't get why people are so surprised by G-Ponyta being Psychic-type. Again, it might just be because I watch MLP:FiM, but, to be fair, the unicorns in the show do use magic to simulate psychic abilities.

It'sa pretty common thing for unicorns to do in fiction nowadays, not just Friendship Is Magic. (It's also something the unicorns have been able to do in My Little Pony since Generation I.) I don't think there are that many unicorn-themed works right now that have unicorn magic in quite as much detail as Friendship Is Magic though.

Don't forget that pegasi in Friendship Is Magic are also able to use psychic powers, though they are limited to telekinesis on objects and living things in contact with them, which is how they're able to do stuff like carry carts in the sky without them hanging downwards or lift other ponies into the clouds.

Another reason for the typing could be unicorn lore. Healing/removing poison was one of the most famous abilities of unicorn horns in mythology, and Fairy type pokemon are weak to Poison (whereas Psychic is supereffective against it).

Indeed. There is also the idea that a unicorn can sense the thoughts of people around them and is the basis for them being friendly only to virgin women.

well if galarian Ponyta existed before gen 6 it could only go Psychic. maybe they wanted to avoid Fairy because they already introduced a bunch of them lately (even freaking Weezing) and went with the second most logical choice. or they thought the energy exposure theme fits better with Psychic, which it does. reminds me of our quadrupedal gen 2 friends Girafarig and Stantler, which isn't Psychic but really should... man, now I want a Psychic variant/evolution for Stantler

Which reminds me--now that Galarian Ponyta is confirmed Psychic-type, we currently have an equal number of Fairy-types and Dragon-types at 40 each, including Mega Altaria. Without Mega Altaria, there are still more Dragon-types than Fairy-types.

Yeah I think they could have at least showcased it's typing and new ability in the trailer. Just seems to rushed and somewhat lazy even though I'm sure that isn't the case . But I'm glad the website was at least updated.

I think secondary fairy typing would definitely help more than hurt. Unfortunately, psychic is a historically bad typing and fairy happens to round that weakness out pretty well. Just look at that behemoth Tapu LeLe. Sure, it's weak to Posion but it also has the ability to hit it for super effective damage, so it's less of an issues. Also, Rapidish is likely not going to keep the ability "Run Away". It'll probably have Pastel Veil, and something else. My personal hope is for Misty Terrain, it seems to fit the unicorn lore pretty well, and I can see the terrain abilities getting distributed among more Pokemon this gen like weather did after gen 3. That being said, I wouldn't be mad at psychic/flying as it's somewhat unique as well and the concept of an alicorn is really cool. It's just not as good competitively speaking, which I can't help but think of first and foremost, being a VGC player. Their weakness/resistances don't round the way fairy/psychic too. It gains many common weaknesses without an ability to defend itself against the common dark type. Alola Ponyta line is super cute, I just really want it to be good! Lol I personally wish I could have kept its fire typing, and gained fairy.

Which is pretty rich considering in Generation I, Psychic was the game-breaking type. It's even acknowledged in-game in which Saffron City's Gym used to be Fighting-type, but Sabrina and her Psychic-types came by and stomped them, then it got heavily nerfed in Generation II with the Dark-type. I don't think the Psychic-type started getting really shafted until later, however, when stronger Ghost-types appeared in Generation III and stronger Bug-types appeared in Generation V.

Galarian Ponyta being Shield-exclusive makes me wonder how exactly it will represent defense. Its design looks pretty frail, but it could create barriers with its horn/mane magic.

These kinds of exclusives have never been a big deal to me since you can always trade. You can also breed one of your own if you care about trainer IDs. I’m pretty sure day cares have always been available early in the games so you can use them to breed for playthroughs.

Version exclusives are usually not tied to the games' names when they're not Legendary Pokémon, so I don't think it's something to take much stock in.

As for the Day Care, I'm thinking about how the ones for FireRed/LeafGreen and Black 2 and White 2 weren't available until the postgame...

I like Galarian Ponyta a lot, and I would never have guessed it was Psychic-type, perhaps Rapidash will be Psychic/Fairy? Or Psychic/Flying if it does end up being an Alicorn. Assuming there are no other Psychic-types I want to use more, I'll definitely add Ponyta to my Shield team!

There isn't any reason to assume an alicorn Galarian Rapidash would gain the Flying-type. Run Away may be replaced with Levitate, like what happens with Trapinch's Arena Trap.

We have a damn walking palm tree that can be a Dragon why is Galarian Ponyta not being Fairy so surprising lol

Alolan Exeggutor got the Dragon-type because it's partially based on the Dracaena genus, which is also known as the Dragon Plant. With that in mind, why wouldn't it be Grass/Dragon?

QTuNszf.png

Remind me. Have past version exclusives always had official "counterparts"?

They've had them since the beginning. The Oddish line is a counterpart to the Bellsprout line, the Growlithe line is a counterpart to the Vulpix line, and Electabuzz is a counterpart to Magmar (and is the reason why they both got evolutions in Diamond and Pearl but not Jynx--she isn't a counterpart to either of them).

A general rule is that every version exclusive has something in the other version as part of the same-length evolutionary line. When cross-generation evolutions were introduced, any version-exclusive one would be counterbalanced with a version-exclusive one in the other. Diamond's Honchkrow got a Pearl counterpart in Mismagius, both of them descended from underpowered Generation II Pokémon. X got Mega Pinsir, Mega Houndoom, and Mega Aggron while Y got Mega Heracross, Mega Manectric, and Mega Tyranitar. Generation VII introduced regional forms, with Sun getting the Alolan Vulpix line and Moon getting the Alolan Sandshrew line.

I was Team Sword this whole time, but now I'm starting to reconsider. It would help if I knew more version exclusives. I don't want to pick Shield and then it turns out another Galarian form or another Pokemon I'd really love is in Sword. So far the only version exclusive I care about and want is Ponyta.

I love both box legendaries, so I don't really care in that respect.

You won't learn all of the version exclusives until the games come out. It's always been that way. They never mentioned, for instance, that the Houndour line and the Electrike line would remain opposite-version exclusives in Generation VII.

I don't know if they were referred to as such but absolutely.

[/I]
Alolan Vulpix Line - Alolan Sandshrew Line
Oddish Line - Bellsprout Line
Mantine - Skarmory
Lunatone - Solrock
Sableye - Mawile
Glameow Line - Stunky Line
Gothita Line - Solosis Line
Skrelp Line - Clauncher Line
Buzzwole - Pheromosa

Okay. I'll raise you one. Here is the full list of version-exclusive counterparts I can come up with. These are limited only to Pokémon introduced in that generation, including regional forms and Mega Evolutions.

GENERATION I
Ekans line & Sandshrew line
Growlithe line & Vulpix line
Oddish line & Bellsprout line
Mankey line & Meowth line
Scyther & Pinsir
Electabuzz & Magmar

GENERATION II
Spinarak line & Ledian line
Gligar & Delibird (possibly)
Teddiura line & Phanpy line
Mantine & Skarmory (less now than beforenow that their base stat totals aren't the same)

GENERATION III
Seedot line & Lotad line
Mawile & Sableye
Zangoose & Seviper
Solrock & Lunatone
Latios & Latias
Groudon & Kyogre

GENERATION IV
Cranidos line & Shieldon line
Honchkrow & Mismagius
Stunky line & Purugly line
Dialga & Palkia

GENERATION V
Gothita line & Solosis line
Vullaby line & Rufflet line
Tornadus & Thundurus
Zekrom & Reshiram

GENERATION VI
Mega Pinsir & Mega Heracross
Mega Houndoom & Mega Manectric
Mega Aggron & Mega Tyranitar
Swirlix line & Spritzee line
Clauncher line & Skrelp line
Xerneas & Yveltal

GENERATION VII
Alolan Vulpix line & Alolan Sandslash line
Passimian & Oranguru
Turtonator & Drampa
Solgaleo & Lunala
Buzzwole & Pheromosa
Kartana & Celesteela

Hopefully Lockstin & Gnoggin or Bird Keeper Toby will make a theory video explaining why Ponyta’s a Psychic type.

I’m fine with the typing & I understand the reasoning from a design aspect, but I’m a little confused when looking at Ponyta’s lore. A unicorn whose mane glows from absorbing the forest’s life energy just screams Fairy type to me.

As was mentioned before, folklorically, unicorns have been able to detect and dispel poison, which is why Pastel Veil works the way it does. It wouldn't make sense for a Pokémon with that trait to also be weak to Poison.

Eh I'm ok with it, it's weird but we did always think a unicorn Pokemon would be psychic. It's not like Ponyta will be weak, either, it just has 1 extra weakness.

Well, Rapidash, at least the original version, is pure Fire, and that's a unicorn.

So I'm watching Game Informer's 101 Rapid-Fire video for Sword & Shield, and the revelations are just astounding. Just popping off a few:

- Dynamax forms are visual projections of a pokemon, rather than an actual transformation.
- Pokémon games are (as of recent years) designed so players can play the games as easily or difficult as they choose, which is why a difficulty option has not been added.
- Random encounters occur both in and outside of the Wild Area.
- Despite Team Yell, Marnie herself is not a villain.
- Pokémon Sword & Shield is considered by Game Freak the most difficult game they have ever produced.
- (at least as of right now) Starters will never be any primary type other than Grass, Fire, or Water.
- It is confirmed that pokemon are just barely sentient beings.
- Junichi Masuda doubts Game Freak will ever produce another IP for Nintendo ever again.

You can watch the video below. It's pretty neat. I don't know if it's the editing, but Masuda and Ohmori are pretty brutally honest. lol

The most difficult game they've ever produced? More so than Giga Wrecker?

Ahem.

Sudowoodo.

Stunfisk.

Also Malamar. Dragalge to a lesser extent. Nihilego too, though it being an Ultra Beast made people more accepting, as they're supposed to be bizarre and unexpected.

Now I wonder if there are enough Pokémon to make a team out of Pokémon themed on aquatic life who aren't Water-type. (And if Hippowdon counts.)