• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Anybody think Meltan and Melmetan will be part of the Galarian pokedex or Galar in general? I know they were introduced in Let's Go but do we know that they actually are Kanto pokemon (as in just discovered in Kanto) lorewise?

I really hope that they are in, other wise they'll have only one game where they are useable. They have abilities ,right, and you can't use abilities in let's go so hopefully that points them being in.

With the limited dex situation I'm hoping most of the Pokémon included are just standard Pokémon, we don't need all the legendaries and mythicals but the Meltan line are an exception to that way of thinking.

"Barely sentient" is really hard to believe both in the anime and in the games, they feel emotion and pain, and if I had to guess I'd say the developers didn't understand the question or the translator got it wrong or something of the sort

Yeah that comment doesn't fit with any of the established lore. Perhaps it was a mistranslation and they meant barely sapient as in most Pokémon are cleverer than a dog or a cat but not as clever as a human.

Also different Pokémon species have different levels of intelligence according to the Pokédex ( like Bidoof and Metagross) so the best answer to this question would have been that their intelligence varies.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Yeah that comment doesn't fit with any of the established lore. Perhaps it was a mistranslation and they meant barely sapient as in most Pokémon are cleverer than a dog or a cat but not as clever as a human
I personally consider the answers to lore questions from the rapid fire Q&A non canon. That was just a joke session for fun, while Masuda & Ohmori seemed completely uncomfortable with the format.

I know it’s 2019 & all, but people seem to be taking those answers & Galarian Ponyta’s typing WAY too seriously. I can’t even watch most of the pokétubers’ videos on Ponyta’s reveal since nearly all of them complain about being a Psychic type rather than a Fairy type (both directly & passive-aggressively) -_-

Thunder Armor is real then?
I don’t think so. Thunder armor’s just a deus ex machina based on Swellow’s tenacity and how it gets back up even after being hit by super effective moves (a trait that was seen back when it first appeared as a Taillow).

Last edited:

Xuxuba

Personally i think it looks nothing like a psychic type, but i don't mind not being a fairy type because my team will probably be full of them anyway since this typing always have the best designs...

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Apparently, unicorn horns cure poison; work as poison antidotes. It wouldn't make sense for a unicorn to be weak against Poison by that logic, thus part Fairy. Psychic deals Poison effectively.

Explains why Galarian Ponyta is Psychic for those wondering.

Lilligantastic

Apparently, unicorn horns cure poison; work as poison antidotes. It wouldn't make sense for a unicorn to be weak against Poison by that logic, thus part Fairy. Psychic deals Poison effectively.

To me this is a logical explanation. It shows they've thought about it a bit, rather than just going 'Magic Unicorn=Fairy'.

mozao

this wasn't in my horoscope
I know it’s 2019 & all, but people seem to be taking those answers & Galarian Ponyta’s typing WAY too seriously. I can’t even watch most of the pokétubers’ videos on Ponyta’s reveal since nearly all of them complain about being a Psychic type rather than a Fairy type (both directly & passive-aggressively) -_-
really, if there's someone who thinks youtubers are great, you should show them Pokémon youtubers. they are just shameless and make a really bad image for the Pokémon fandom. I never watched any youtuber videos, Pokémon or not, and looking at youtube's suggested videos I know I never will. there was one yesterday which title clearly said the starter interviews confirmed the leaks

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Anybody think Meltan and Melmetan will be part of the Galarian pokedex or Galar in general? I know they were introduced in Let's Go but do we know that they actually are Kanto pokemon (as in just discovered in Kanto) lorewise?

Given all the pokemon in Let's GO have abilities coded into the game, I think it's very probable the majority of the roster will make it into Sword & Shield.

I'd honestly be surprised if Meltan and Melmetal didn't make it into Sword & Shield, given the amount of time, money and effort spent on marketing them.

DSDark

Breeder
Given all the pokemon in Let's GO have abilities coded into the game, I think it's very probable the majority of the roster will make it into Sword & Shield.

I'd honestly be surprised if Meltan and Melmetal didn't make it into Sword & Shield, given the amount of time, money and effort spent on marketing them.

Meltan and Melmetal have to be in SwSh. We still don't have a main game where Meltan evolves

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover

Another way to go around that could have been making Galarian Ponyta a Fairy type with let's say the ability "Unicorn Veil" which give it an immunity to poison as well as protecting its allies again being poisoned. That could have worked too and made sense in regards to that real life Unicorn lore

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Another way to go around that could have been making Galarian Ponyta a Fairy type with let's say the ability "Unicorn Veil" which give it an immunity to poison as well as protecting its allies again being poisoned. That could have worked too and made sense in regards to that real life Unicorn lore

Neutralizing Gas, Mold Breaker, Gastro Acid all exist to negate the abilities. It doesn't make sense a Unicorn; known to heal poison, to be weak against what it is supposed to cure, even if it's a workaround.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
It doesn’t stop Galarian Ponyta from taking super effective damage from poison attacks though. Particularly as the Rapidash line are not known for their bulk (assuming the Galarian variation stats don’t change too much from its normal form).

Marzbar

If people are trying to justify Psychic typing on a Unicorn by saying Unicorns historically cure poison and GF didn’t want it to be weak to poison types...
Why didn’t they just give it a Poison immunity ability and keep the Fairy typing? Just give it a Poison version of Sap Sipper / Volt Absorb / Water Absorb etc etc

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
Apologies for the length, I’m just catching up.

I'm surprised so many people are freaking out over Ponyta's typing. Sure Fairy seemed obvious at first, but in hindsight Psychic-type seems like the second most fitting type.
Yes, exactly. As many have already explained, unicorns are known to purify poisons and heal diseases and the like, being Psychic fits perfectly. I didn’t consider it before because nothing pointed to it following that bit of lore just in it’s design, but I should have seen it with Pastel Veil, I admit.

On this topic, I don’t think G-Rapidash will be part Fairy, as it would counter the lore they’ve established, it not being weak to Poison that is. But of course, I can always been wrong. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Other than the website literally putting them side by side (https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/gameplay/version-exclusives/), they getting unusual reveals just for themselves back-to-back, Famitsu getting a double article on them, I don't think they will go any more clear on that. So just wait until the game is out.
^

I agree regarding the Anime being different than the games but there is still something bizarre in that answer, as even in the games pokemon seem to be highly intelligent creatures able to understand people and even communicate and cooperate with them and with each other. That they are "barely sentient" is really hard to believe both in the anime and in the games, they feel emotion and pain, and if I had to guess I'd say the developers didn't understand the question or the translator got it wrong or something of the sort
They didn’t actually say they were barely sentient,
they said they are “just living” “just getting by” which I believe is meant to mean they‘re just existing, the same as us. Thus “intelligence” would vary from individual to individual, same as us. That was my take away, anyway.

So, I stole this from 4chan because I found it really interesting. It is a cover up of every reveal season starting from Gen II all the way down to VI, detailed by generation, year and month:
1570648844148.jpg

(pokémon in shadows stands for when they leaked/were revealed but unnoficially)

Even though I've been around for that whole time, I had forgot most of that and I think that's really interesting. Particularly as far as starters go:

- Before Gen V, the starters were never revealed early, but just a few months before the game was released.
- The middle stages also were never revealed before the game before Gen V.
- With the exception of Blaziken, they only started revealing the final stages starting from Gen VI.

I found that interesting because it shows how much we take for granted things that only happened a couple of times before. We have people going mad and screaming since early September because the middle stages were not shown already as if it was some sort of tradition to have access to them early, but we only got them on the last 3 times. The final forms, only the last 2 times. Maybe spoilers are to blame, they really "spoil" us.
Thanks for sharing this, having a visual list of the reveals through the gens is very helpful.

It could have been done better. A lot better. Nobody was praising it this much during the actual boring stream. Everybody is praising it in hindsight because they’ve forgotten how painfully uneventful it was.
This is also incorrect. I mentioned multiple times how I was enjoying the stream very much while we watched. I imagine at least one person here can corroborate that (assuming anyone remembers).

Edit: actually @Marzbar you reminded me I wanted to touch on why I believe Psychic specifically was chosen, to me Psychic means you channel (like a conduit, mediumship ect) and manipulate energy, whereas Fairies are part of it and manipulate it. That’s how I see them, anyway.

dss_live

Water and Fairy-type master
It could have been done better. A lot better. Nobody was praising it this much during the actual boring stream. Everybody is praising it in hindsight because they’ve forgotten how painfully uneventful it was.

The same people that you're reply'ing to were praising it during the stream as well.

Not "everybody" is praising it, the people who disliked it, disliked it then and dislike it now. Those who liked it, were vocal about it then and are now. Nobody forgot the stream and how it was.

LordSerperior

If people are trying to justify Psychic typing on a Unicorn by saying Unicorns historically cure poison and GF didn’t want it to be weak to poison types...
Why didn’t they just give it a Poison immunity ability and keep the Fairy typing? Just give it a Poison version of Sap Sipper / Volt Absorb / Water Absorb etc etc
GF can make up any lore they want to justify a type, it isn't the first Pokemon to get an unexpected type and it wouldn't be the last. Also looking at all the existing fairy types, its not even a very well-defined type, like say Grass or Fire. As for the fans, they can prefer whatever type they want without owing any justification to the fairy lovers. Idk why people want a "justification" for other people's preferences.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Alolan Raichu's justification for becoming a Psychic type is that it ate pancakes. If that's enough for GameFreak, I think the poison curing justification would also pass as well. Either way, there's a good chance its type change will be explained in more detail when the games go live, perhaps through its Pokedex entry or a comment somewhere in the game.

Cor Petit

King killer

Same. I've been thinking about the Spritzee line, wearing a mask based on the medieval plague-doctors, but kept weak to poison because of fairy type (even if they have Healer as ability)

Nodame

Misty <3
Do you think Polteageist will have an evolution line? it kinda reminds of Chandelure but it could be a single stage like Klefki..