• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Everlasting

Everything stays.
So has it been confirmed that Motostoke City has the first gym we challenge, or is it simply the first town we visit with a gym?
From what I gathered from the July 8th trailer which introduced Chairman Rose, we can see our player character walking into the stadium of Motostoke with a bunch of other trainers wearing the same sport attire. I think this is during our first visit to Motostoke: trainers gather to Motostoke's gym to be welcomed by the chairman of the League and are presented tips and guidance. He then sends the trainers off and we travel to Milo's gym first, then Nessa's, before circling back around to Motostoke for our third gym battle. I don't expect other trainers to be with us during actual gym battles, so there must be a special reason why we get this scene.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
You make a very good point, that I very much missed!
But, the fact I completely missed that, I feel, if they're basing the region off of the UK, and cities after certain cities however loose, they need to be aware of the connotations or suggestions of words within the place it is based off, surely? Like.. a city, in a UK-based region, that contains the word Stoke.. which is a city in the UK, I feel a better word could perhaps have been used to convey heat/industry. Unless, like has been suggested, Stoke does actually make up some inspiration for the city.
Wouldn’t be the first time people didn’t get the meanings behind a Pokémon town’s name. I’ve been feeling like that ever since Gen 3 & then to me the names just started sounding weirder since Gem 5. I do like researching the meaning behind the names though since it’s fun learning about the references & history behind them.

Also, thanks for telling us about the two halves of Manchester. The cultures behind both sides sound really cool!!

Last edited:

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Thoughts on the Gigantamax stuff from Wednesday (Ya, sue me for not talking about the preview):
- I feel that Gigantamax Butterfree only exists to make up for Beedrill getting a mega in gen 6.
- Gigantamax Meowth is another corroboration of earlier leaks, but it's weird to see it elongated. Though, they clearly like to elongate parts of Kanto 'mons between SM/SwSh (looking at you A-Exeggutor/G-Weezing). Having Gigantamax Meowth, Pikachu and Eevee unable to evolve makes sense as Gigantamaxing changes their appearance.
- I do like that Gigantamax Pikachu got Fat Pikachu to trend on Twitter, like that it had come full circle from gen 1
- I will admit that Gigantamax Charizard does look pretty cool with those flaming wings

I know that the Kanto pandering has continued, but I'll give GameFreak a pass as it's their 30th anniversary.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I hope cyndaquil makes the cut! He's my favorite! :)
I’d honestly be happy if any of the starters besides Charizard make the cut. One thing I loved about Let’s Go was that Bulbasaur, Charmander, & Squirtle we’re all catchable in the wild rather than just being limited to gift pokémon. What I’d really like to see is that a handful of starters (not even the complete set from one generation) were catchable in the game and treated like common Pokémon. For example, the game could feature Charmander, Totodile, Rowlet, Chespin, Froakie, Tepig and they’d be no different to catching a wild Zorua or Riolu.

TrainerFuurin

Now that I'm thinking of it, all of the reviewers mentioned encountering quite a number of new type of Pokemon in Slumbering Weald and on the way to Prof. Magnolia’s location, but not so much in the Wild Area. I know we have seen Corviknight flying and Drednaw walking in the Wild Area on previous trailers, but I feel like generally the ratio of new species on the normal area is much higher than old mons, while in the Wild Area, there are more old mons rather than the new ones. I could be completely wrong, but this would mean that I don't need to wander around the Wild Area for too long to look for new ones. I prefer to go back and enjoy the Wild Area after I pretty much done with the story line and got my main team ready.

GF said that the reason they won't include National Dex on SwSh is that they want to focus more on the new mons in each new Gens. I feel like the reason why we've been getting less and less new mons lately is simply because of the total number of Pokemon that just keep on adding in each game. So I really hope we can indeed get 100+ new mons this time! 八(- □ -*)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Am I the only who doesn’t care about Pokémon not be transferable? I don’t know if it’s because I never privy myself to competitive battles but as long as I can make a good team that I enjoy using I’m fine.
No, according to people on the Internet, you're only allowed to use the same dozen pokémon as everyone else and play it a specific way or you will be endlessly mocked and looked down on

...I wish I was making that mindset up, but it's depressingly common

Cause god forbid you play the game in a way you personally find enjoyable

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Word. It's in part why I don't online battle too much.

Zachmac

To be honest I'm kind of worried that the wild area might not have all that much for me. It seems like the main thing you do there is catch pokemon and I already have a complete pokedex aside from a handful of mythicals, and I'll probably be able to catch most Galar mons while playing through the story.

I really hope that they make raid bosses really challenging even with postgame builds. Although I fear cheesing them with moves like Endeavor and Curse might be too easy.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Motostoke, huh? Makes me think of the E3 run, where the Nintendo representative was about to enter the city, and we'd get to see its name, but one of the spectators wanted to see something else in the Wild Area, so he turned around. Three months later, we get to know its name!

In any case, sorry, but prepare for a very long post, as I've gone through like 30 pages of this thread.

Yeah, G-Max Meowth is definitely catering for anime. Reminds me of XYZ 96: Mega Audino vs. Giga Giga Meowth!

0DNqgk.png

In addition, Meowth is a very popular Pokémon in Japan. Not so much elsewhere, but first and foremost, Pokémon are Japanese games, and Japanese preferences will be a high, if not top priority.

We're never getting away from Kanto ever again, are we?

I mean, Gigantamax Charizard looks awesome, and Gigantamax Eevee is pretty adorable, but the other two are...I mean...just why? Meowth isn't even that popular!

Unova was a blessing, and we cruelly threw it aside during its time for not pandering to older regions. I guess this is what we get...

As mentioned above, Meowth is actually quite popular in Japan, which is really more indicative of how Pokémon that become popular in the west tend to be pretty different than Pokémon that become popular in Japan. Mewtwo is one of the few who's popular in worldwide though. In general, tough-looking Pokémon like Charizard are what catch on in the west, while cute-looking Pokémon like Eevee are what catch on in Japan. The anime also has way more cultural clout in Japan than elsewhere (if you thought it's popular outside of Japan, it's nothing compared to within), so a Pokémon that becomes a major character in Japan becomes popular. Meowth has been a mainstay since the start, and thus people have a fondness for Meowth there like they would Oscar the Grouch or the Minions in the west.

And no, we're never getting away from Kanto because Kanto fans make up a large enough part of the people who buy Pokémon games that Game Freak is unlikely to want to alienate them ever again.

If Unova was a blessing, it was a blessing in disguise considering how hated it was when it was new...It'sone of my favorite regions because there were no new Pokémon at first, but I knew how unpopular my opinion was during then.

Charizard isn't bad, the other three are meh.

Even as someone who kind of tolerated the Kanto pandering....this is getting old. Pikachu I can understand since it's the mascot. But the other three all got some kind of form change/Z-Move within the last two gens. Wouldn't irk me quite as much if they had revealed say...Gigantimax Vileplume or other Gen 1 rep (if it had to be Gen 1) that hadn't gotten as much love.

There very well could be other-gen mons that can Gigantimax in the game though so I'll stick with being annoyed rather than full on hate for now.

Vileplume doesn't sell games the way Charizard or Eevee do though.

Honestly, sure, I'd rather have Pokemon that fit to a region and more thought placed on the regional dex, as well as Gamefreak having more time and resources to work on these games.

I like the camping and curry cooking features, as well as the more developed ones from past games.

I am also ok with no megas or z-moves, lore wise it makes no sense for them to be in Galar. I found it odd when Hoenn had some. I also don't play competitive so it doesn't bother me either.

As well as I actually really like the concept of Dyna/Gigantamaxing

It sucks ya that I may not be able to bring over Smeargle or anything, but again I hardly did any trading over, so it doesn't bother me with the national dex, its a new game, a new adventure and the chance for a new team.

I understand where others are coming from though.

I think we're getting Smeargle. If we're getting Ditto, we're getting Smeargle. Ditto has been present in every region because it's absolutely essential for breeding. Smeargle, while not quite so necessary, is a tremendous help, one that people have come to rely on.

Screw Charizard. Had more than enough of that fireass lizard getting all the glory and being shoved in my face. Do they expect Blastoise and Venusaur to be forgotten? Have they forgotten they exist? As a Bulbasaur fan, hell-to-the-no I ain't forgetting him. Ugh... The only joy I'm getting out of this is I'll very no doubt likely get to be whooping that fire lizard's ass later. =.=

Charizard got popular because of that 100 damage Fire Spin in the TCG and having 120 HP while looking like a dragon. Also, Ash had one. It just kind of spiraled from there that Venusaur and Blastoise could never hope to reach, which is unfortunate for fans of the other two.

You can see they acknowledge what got Charizard so famous in the first place in that G-Max Wildfire has the secondary effect of Fire Spin.

Well at least Eevee's getting it's dues as the second mascot, not a creative G. form but I think it calls back to the original battle sprites. Seriously though, is the power concentrated in that one ear? Why put clouds there?

Looks like some of the Gigantamax forms have their red clouds circling around some other part of their bodies other than above their heads. Technically Gigantamax Butterfree does too; it's encircling Butterfree's antennae. Either the power is concentrated elsewhere, it's a stylistic decision to differentiate Gigantamaxing from regular Dynamaxing, or both.

Sorry, but I think Gigantamax (and Dynamax) is still the worst gimmick ever. I prefer Mega Evolution much more. I've pre-ordered Shield but I'm going to ignore this mechanic completely.

Does that mean you intend to fight through each Gym Leader and other major characters who use Dynamax and Gigantamax without doing so? That'd be quite the challenge, honestly.

Can we PLEASE have some Pokemon from somewhere besides Kanto? They've been shoving us Kanto things for the past few years. More Meowth, more Eevee, more Pikachu and of course - more Charizard. There are more than 800 other Pokemon.

And you do not have to do that Max thing. Just create more Pokemon. Is someone here really know the difference between Dynamaxing and Gigamaxing, and believes that this thing will be carried on to the next generation?

It's to get the sales from people who care mainly about Kanto Pokémon (many of whom really only care specifically for a few Pokémon--you're probably not going to get these people to buy the game if, say, Gigantamax Charizard was replaced by Gigantamax Omastar).

The known difference between Dynamax and Gigantamax, besides the different forms, is that damaging moves associated with that Pokémon's type are turned into a signature G-Max move rather than the regular Max move. For instance, a regular Dynamax Pikachu will have its Electric-type attacks turned into Max Lightning, but Gigantamax Pikachu gets to use G-Max Volt Crash instead, which has different effects.

While Eevee’s G-Max move is bad, I will say this for Pikachu:

Gamefreak stop trying to make Pikachu viable in battle. It’s not going to happen ever!

I don't think they're really trying to in any serious capacity. They're just providing incentive for fans of Pikachu to buy this game.

I mean wow that video sucked. Like really sucked. No new pokemon? No story info? No information about any features?

I am sorry but this video was anti-hype. I've been pretty positive about these games, however this is starting to get bad. We've received information on one new pokemon since the beginning of september. ONE new pokemon since the beginning of September, and we've had 3 trailers since. I really hope there's a good amount of new pokemon but right now I think we'll be lucky if we get 50 new pokemon

I don't think this video was really aimed at people like you and me, big fans who come to places like the Serebii Forums to discuss the game. Rather, I think this video was aimed at people who play Pokémon GO and Pokémon Let's Go!, lapsed fans of the franchise who are only now intending to get back in, and non-fans who don't play Pokémon games but can at least recognize Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth, Charizard, and possibly Butterfree. The last group is the biggest one and the largest potential source of new players. The second group needs these older Pokémon as a way to transition back into the series.

When Deadpool starts showing up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you can bet there will be at least one pre-release video or trailer showcasing him. Marvel fans are undoubtedly as sick of him as they are of Wolverine, but as you can see in the general public, the mainstream CANNOT get enough of these two. (I waited three weeks to see the first Deadpool in theaters, and I sat next to two guys who spoke throughout the movie that it was clear they had watched it before.) Similarly, outside of the Pokémon fanbase, you'll never stop seeing Pikachu and Charizard show up in everything because, well, the mainstream cannot get enough of these two either.

Getting really sick of the Kanto pandering every single generation. It’s nice that Butterfree got a Gigantamax form after Beedrill got a Mega Evolution but it barely looks different and there are so many newer Pokémon that could have received the same treatment and are no doubt going to be ignored because they aren’t from Kanto. As for the Gigantamax forms from CoroCoro, Charizard still looks awesome but the others look worse. Their designs barely change anything and I honestly find them complete wastes as Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth are all useless in competitive battling so very few people, if any will use them. Also having Pikachu and Eevee locked to having save data for their respective Let’s Go games really sucks.

Overall a very disappointing reveal.

I definitely remember Eevee getting its time in the spotlight at the VGCs via Extreme Evoboost.

There are also other reasons than competitive value why people would use a Pokémon. The most obvious is using them in-game, which I think the majority of people will focus on. Another is that I am a Johnny type of player, so I eschew the popular Pokémon used in competitive play in favor of the more obscure and forgotten ones.

Yes you’ve brought this up countless times. Obviously people understand why they’re getting the attention.

I think many people here don't. Otherwise, they wouldn't be baffled at the Generation I pandering.

Just because it sold the most doesn't mean other regions don't exist. Lol

Nope. But the other regions are known mostly to people who are already Pokémon fans and thus have likely mad eup their minds about Sword and Shield. They could reveal Gigantamax Meowstic, and I'd LOVE that, but it won't win over many people who otherwise won't buy the game.

Guess I'm the only one excited from this trailer, huh? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm glad I have Let's Go Pikachu so I can use the GMax version, I was actually thinking this morning about how that'd probably happen after I saw the CoroCoro scans. I'm eager to see how the whole system's gonna work with a 3 turn limit.

I also don't think them being tight-lipped about new Pokemon means that everything's been revealed, lol. To me, it just seems like they want to leave surprises in the game after completely blowing it with XY/SM. The pessimism on here is more anti-hype than the trailer, in my opinion... but people are allowed to have opinions, I guess!

Don't worry, I liked the trailer too.

And I think you're right. They're likely either experimenting with different kind of pre-release announcement schedules or going back to how they were with earlier generations. Again, I point out how most video game franchises reveal way less than Pokémon...and way less than Sword and Shield.

This video for Shin Megami Tensei V was released on November 2017, roughly around the time Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out. It is only one of two pre-release announcements for the game, the other one showing some of the information from this video, just in a different way. Guess what? SMT5 is ALSO a monster-collecting game, with hundreds of monsters to collect and lots of new ones in each game! MegaTen fans have gone almost TWO YEARS knowing almost nothing about it!

Ohh I must have missed that! Thank you! And @wolf jani thank you too!

I'm sure they'll look better when playing and after seeing them more.. and it is somewhat the point of gigantamax.. but this last batch really do just seem a tad excessively chunky?

They're chunky because they're huge, presumably.

It’s not so much that Pokétubers don’t like Ponyta’s typing that bothers me. What I REALLY found annoying is that some didn’t even bother to take a minute during their recordings to look up unicorns on Google to see why Ponyta’s a Psychic type, while others said they weren’t going to complain but then spent the rest of their videos making passive-aggressive jabs at Ponyta not being a Fairy type.

That's the general culture of YouTube, sadly. It's a lot of clickbait, a lot of not-doing-the-research, and a lot of fight-me responses. It didn't used to be like this. I've been putting up videos on YouTube for 11 years, and I've been sticking to my old-school way of doing things. Game Grumps and PewDiePie proved that loud, brash recklessness gets views, and unfortunately, the changes in the algorithm have favored that more and more. (That and the description has been shunted more and more as well. I don't think it'll go away completely, but I remember a time when the description took up equal screen space as the video itself, so I saved all of my thoughts there. Still do.)

When I read that on the website, I jumped the shark and thought it took people’s life energy and had the image of Ponyta stabbing someone to absorb that stuff.

Want to bet that Galarian Ponyta (or Rapidash) will learn Horn Leech?

I usually don't mind GenI getting more attention on those new mechanics and defend such as they being the most outdated generation, but I have to agree at this point it is getting out of hand. Or at least Gamefreak is handling it terribly.

Last time we actually saw something not GenI related was 1,5 month ago. Then we got the glitch merch that turned out to be a GenI evolution followed by a trailer that was exclusive to said thing. Then we got a 24h stream that was entirely devoted to show a new form for a GenI pokémon, followed, again, by a trailer that only introduced said pokémon. And now we finally get a full trailer and it only introduces new forms for 5 GenI pokémon.
That all those GenI pokémon got new forms/evolutions is not bad, but the fact we are been fed only GenI non-stop as we get closer to the game release, the best moment to promote new GenVIII pokémon, is really bad handling. And Gamefreak should be aware of what reaction if could cause on fans after GenVII had regional forms being something exclusive to GenI.
It doesn't help that they also did that on the day that past generations led the whole community to believe they would finally focus on this gen starters.

I wonder if that means the Sirfetch'd and Galarian Ponyta reveals were so popular that they figured "People are watching this for the Generation I" content. Who knows? They might be right. This is the same system with Pokémon Let's Go! after all, and there are undoubtedly many, many people who bought one or both of those games who have been intently watching the Sword and Shield pre-release content and perk up only when Generation I stuff happens.

I mean, I still get comments on my YouTube videos complaining that other generations exist or asking if there are games like Pokkén Tournament or Pokémon Battle Revolution, except with all other generations excluded.

As far as I can tell Gigantamax and Dynamax is the exact same thing, only Gigantamax gets a different Max move and a (sometimes only slightly) different look, so regular Dynamaxing Charizard is actually better than Gigantamaxing Charizard because it sets up sunlight with Max Flare which works with its Solar Power ability, which Gigantamax probably can't do (unless the Gigantamax form can use both the G-Max move and the regular Max move). I'd compare it mostly to Z-Moves, any pokémon can use the regular Z-Moves and then there are some that get a Z-Move specific to their species, like Snorlax and its Pulverising Pancake, but overall it's just the same thing.

That's an interesting point. There may be some Pokémon for whom regular Dynamax is preferable over its Gigantamax, since you can't have both the G-Max move and the regular Max move of the same type on the same Pokémon. I can see something similar with Gigantamax Butterfree, since it's a guaranteed Effect Spore sort of effect, meaning you're rolling the dice on which status condition the opponents will receive (and since they can't be stacked, it'll only take effect on each Pokémon once unless they have something that cures it, like a Lum Berry or Shed Skin). Also could be disastrous if you hit something with Synchronize (which Pikachu, being an Electric-type, is at least immune to if it uses G-Max Volt Crash).

I don't know what the Bug-type Max move will be, but it may be preferable to G-Max Befuddle.

There might be situations where G-Max Wildfire might be better though, such as if you've locked an opposing Pokémon down and you don't want them switching out, or it's against something with a lot of defense boosts and your only remaining hope is to wear it down.

This is my thing. Ever since pokemon go and the initial reveal of the Alola forms (which were trash besides Ninetales and sandslash lines) they seem to think gen 1 reveals is how they will trend on twitter. I'm not stuck in 1996. It's been over a month and a half since an original pokemon was revealed. I want new stuff not old pokemon who gain hair or mustaches.

Hey now, the Alola forms were great. Well, Alolan Raticate and Alolan Persian were not THAT great to me, but I really like all of the other ones. Alolan Exeggutor, in particular, is hilarious, especially when its head is above the screen. I had actually been planning to fit Alolan Exeggutor onto a team for all of Generation VII, though I never got around to it.

It honestly makes you wonder, though, if the small amount of information this pre-release is indeed a response to the fan outcry/feedback from SM.. how have they not responded similarly/at all to the, arguably just as massive, outcry to stop Gen 1 pandering from SM and prior.

The information schedule has likely already been set in stone since the initial reveal of this game earlier this year. They can't just easily change it on a whim. If anything, they may have less Generation I stuff in Generation IX, but that's as early as they can do it, as they design out the following generation immediately after the previous one begins. Since this game was released fresh on the heels of Pokémon Let's Go!, they're going to reference a lot from it.

Well, that and there's that whole Mt. St. Helens level rage at Pokémon Black and White for daring not to allude to Generation I at all...

What I find a little annoying is that although I like it that they’re not revealing too much information, I don’t understand why they won’t release a couple of new Pokémon but instead practically spoil the “final boss fight” by showing us G-max Charizard and its abilities. I guess they think Charizard is the optimal prop for marketing lol...

That's because Charizard IS the optimal prop for marketing.

Figures for online competition participation shows a much larger demographic in the adult range compared to children. Online competitions aren't representative of the overall player base, but there aren't any hard data about it as far as I know that is more representative. It's also difficult to measure and decide how to weigh. Do you measure purely by sales or do you also weigh results by playing time?

The video games themselves are also not necessarily an accurate indicator for whom Pokémon, in general, is aimed at. This article detailing the top franchises of all time, with Pokémon at the top, indicates Pokémon has generated about $17 billion from video games--but about $61 billion from merchandise (toys, posters, home video releases, stationery and apparel, food and drink, etc.). If you look at it from what is the most profitable, it would definitely be the merchandise. Hence, to figure out what demographics Pokémon is aimed at, you have to look at who is buying the merchandise. Though nobody can really know the exact figures, not even Pokémon Company, since even children will be getting most of the merch from their parents, what they DO release tends to be aimed at little kids, like small cheap plastic toys, sticker sheets, Ramune soda, children's furniture, and so forth.

9QT9oDB.png

Money gained from Pokémon merchandise make up about two-thirds of the total revenue from this franchise. You can see in which direction the investors and shareholders are looking.

I think that'd be interesting to look into! I do think it's possible that more adults play Pokemon far more consistently than kids but I also think despite that GF wants to primarily target the younger demo.

I wish they would consider making a series(maybe a spinoff?) that had more adult/darker tones(gen 5 was close I think) and were more challenging(but never get rid of the cute stuff!) but I don't see GF doing that any time soon. It's not something that's make or break for me.

Genius Sonority had been doing that, making Pokémon games with both darker storylines and dramatically increased difficulty, though I get the impression they don't want to do that anymore.

While I love the new Charizard design; this is the 3rd design he's gotten in three generations. You mean to tell me they never was able to come up with a concept for Mega Flygon but spouting all these designs for Charizard?

I'm guessing some executive for some company keeps demanding it. Flygon is my favorite Ground-type and is one of the more popular Generation III Pokémon, but I don't expect it to get anything big any time soon. It took ages for Flygon to even get a plush.

I mean yes it could be broken. However maxing is going to promote stalling to the max. As long as you can stall out the maxing. Yes Charizard could be sitting pretty with solar power

With Max moves damaging through Protect and Detect, going on the defensive might not be that wise of an idea. Depending on how much the Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokémon's stats go up, Substitute may be the only thing able to stand up to it, and even then, there will be the secondary effects of Max moves (and there may be something they've done to limit Substitute's effectiveness at holding up under a Dynamac/Gigantamax from an opponent).

The idea seems to be to respond to a Dynamax or Gigantamax with your own, and I'm sure they've anticipated people would go strictly on the defensive against it and have taken measures against that.

It’s too bad the studio that developed Battle Revolution, Colosseum, and XD seems to have diminished since then and hasn’t had any projects lately. I read that it was recently hiring for a few new people, but I wonder if it will ever go back to working on Pokémon console spin-offs. Spin-offs as a whole have been reduced to simplistic mobile games now.

Genius Sonority has moved on from Pokémon side games. From what I can tell, they've made a bunch of Denpa Men games and have just been a low-key indie studio since. I get the impression that, since these people broke off from Game Freak, they initially did Pokémon side games because they were requested to do so and weren't in a position to turn that down, but after Pokémon Battle Revolution and the nasty reception it got (understandably so, even though I liked it), Genius Sonority has stopped doing anything Pokémon-related. I don't think they really wanted to make more Pokémon games in the first place anyway.

I think a counterargument to this is that, in a way, a mythological creature is the "property" of the culture that created it, and that should be respected as much as possible. Obviously unicorns don't exist, and so a discussion about what the most accurate depiction of a unicorn is is fundamentally fallacious to begin with (I think this is partially your point, correct me if I'm wrong). However, I think in the context of fantasy media, such a discussion might actually be warranted in the same way that if I were to, say, make a fanfiction about Pokemon, I should try to be as accurate to the source material as possible purely out of respect. The debate here is exactly what the source material is, and in many cases that's tough to determine because a lot of mythological creatures such as unicorns don't have a clear-cut origin.

Say I wanted to determine the origin of a Pokemon, well, that's easy. TPC owns the rights to Pokemon and are, for most intents and purposes, the original creator of said Pokemon, so any media or literature produced by TPC can be said to be the most accurate depiction of what a specific Pokemon is. If I were to make a Pokemon fan-fiction, and decided that Arcanine is a Fairy-type for the purposes of my fan-fiction, I think most people would agree the original Fire-type Arcanine is "more accurate" (for lack of a better term) than my Fairy-type one, despite the fact that Arcanine doesn't exist and my interpretation of it is objectively as valid as TPC's. There's a somewhat less objective component here as well.

The trouble with unicorns and other mythological creatures is that they don't have such clear-cut origins, often being passed down by oral folklore for generations, and often being amalgamations of a number of other different mythological creatures. I think the unicorn is a bad example for that reason, but in a case where a clear-cut historical origin can be identified, or in cases where the majority of historical accounts share the same traits, I think those interpretations can be said to be more valid than modern interpretations of such concepts.

I still kinda disagree with this, since folklore lives through reinterpretation and all and everything changed through the centuries, so we shouldn't stop adding to or changing lore now. But I can see what you mean

But even so, as you said, unicorns are a bad example, they don't "belong" to any set era or culture and their "lore" (which was always pretty sparse, actually, until the 19th/2oth century) was never quite codified in the way let's say the Baku was. So in a way the "fairy-like" unicorn that appears for example in Peter S. Beagle's "Last Unicorn" that fights dragons and tends nature and lives in a Lilac Forest has more and more clearly defined lore than the Renaissance Unicorn.
And even if we applied it to the unicorn, then Gamefreak should have used the very first depiction of them; the ancient Greek one that gave them elephant feet and a several feet long horn that had multiple colours. That unicorn had no healing properties (and healing powers are again an aspect of the modern fey unicorn, Medieval unicorns need to be killed so that their horn can become medicine) and would fit a fierce fighting type more than a psychic or fairy type.

Regarding these two points, I think the main point that should be brought up is that we know Galarian Ponyta can cure Poison simply by being nearby. That means they've chosen the older mythological beliefs about unicorns, though with the more well-known appearance of modern unicorns. For that, I think it's to let everyone who sees it recognize it as a unicorn. Certainly, this precedent had been set prior with the Golett line. They look like modern golems so that people can recognize them as such, but their nature, as inanimate objects given life long ago by a righteous figure to protect the local people from invaders, is exactly how they were envisioned in classical Jewish folklore. In addition, the Golem of Chelm was said to grow larger every now and then, reflecting Golurk's large size. Back then, however, golems were depicted as scaled-up humans in appearance, not the stylized statues of today. Just as designing Galarian Ponyta based on the older known interpretations of unicorns might make them unrecognizable (and make the connection to the original Ponyta more tenuous than Exeggutor versus Alolan Exeggutor), basing Golett and Golurk on original golems would likely make people think they look a little TOO close to people.

For the record, there's no real consensus among folklorists about where the concept of unicorns originated, just that it most likely originated in multiple locations (just the concept of the jackalope had popped up independently of each other at least three times around the world) and was believed to be real for at least centuries.

Prior to the 20th century, golems looked like this (upper left, with the lettering on the forehead):

g17vq26.png

By the 20th century, they looked like this:

5EgOFID.png

I can't even imagine saying something like "this game is going to bomb" with a straight face.

Oh, people do that all the time. I live near Hollywood, and so I hear from hardcore movie fans a lot. Every time a new Pixar movie draws near, they'll moan and grumble that it's going to be Pixar's biggest bomb. Then, when it doesn't bomb, they just go quiet and wait for the next one. Same goes for the Fast and Furious movies, Transformers movies, James Bond movies, and any other long-runner that shows no signs of stopping. Oddly, during the time DreamWorks Animation actually started posting loss after loss, starting with Rise of the Guardians and ending with Kung Fu Panda 3, people weren't moaning and grumbling about that. It leads me to believe people declare something will bomb out of fear that it might not--namely, that something they don't like might actually be popular. That's how it can be said with a straight face.

Also Meowth rushing people to buy the game or miss out on content is like the Snorlaxium-Z all over again.

No different than any Mythical Pokémon that isn't Magearna. Those have a limited window to acquire them, and unlike this Meowth, those occupy their own slots in the Pokédex and are necessary to "catch 'em all."

I think after SwSh release there will be a break of about a year and a half where the developers plan out a follow up game without feeling too much pressure since the new games seem to have so much content in them to keep us busy for quite sometime.

Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on what the people in charge at Pokémon Company make them do.

Depending on how it works that new anime might give them that break. If it features all regions they can spend considerable time on it.

That's a good point. The anime is likely the factor that's forcing the rush the most, because there wouldn't be much for Ash to do if, say, he finishes the league and still has a year's worth of episodes to go. It used to be that the anime would just pad things out, but there doesn't seem to be quite as much of that anymore, and there are no more filler regions. For the anime to get to do its own thing, hopefully, will allow Game Freak to pace its production so as not to be so overworked.

I like how one of the reviewers tried to grind up Sobble to see its evolution :p

You know, I initially read that as someone trying to turn Sobble into powder.

Like @Zachmac said a couple of pages back, why are people losing sleep over how well the games sell? You don't work for Game Freak. The only thing you should be concerned with is whether or not you enjoy the game.

I'm even more excited after reading some of these 90 minute reviews. They all seem impressed with the Wild Area in particular.

I actually have a reason to be concerned over how well the games sell. You see, I use the online components a lot, namely battling and trading, and the more people are playing, the more likely I can find someone to battle or trade with. This being a Pokémon game, I generally don't have to worry about that, unless something goes catastrophically wrong with the sales (which I don't think will happen), but I do remember picking up Lethal League Blaze on the Switch, a fighting game, and running out of opponents within about two months of the game coming out.

So I’m going to quit being negative and just enjoy the games for what they are. (And pray there’s an awesome bug/ice Pokémon)

I've been waiting for that type combination for a long time. Not sure what actually fits the bill though, as arthropods, by design, aren't really built for cold environments.

I find it hard to believe, but at least the representative made it clear the area is huge.

FAfV6d.png

Interesting--sounds like an homage to the original Kanto games, in which Onix was likely your first Pokémon tough enough for you to resort to using Great Balls to catch.

I’m surprised no one’s talking about the fact that it was confirmed that you and three other trainers can walk around the Wild Area via the internet in real time.

It’s basically like the Pokémon MMO everyone’s been wanting (except not completely =P)!

I think it's because this is before the games have come out, and only a few people are playing, not all of whom might be playing online or at the same time. It's like how pre-release reviews for the Splatoon games are so difficult to do because the main gameplay is online, but it's hard to do when the game's not even out yet and there wouldn't be enough people to even form a full room and play a proper match.

Am I the only who doesn’t care about Pokémon not be transferable? I don’t know if it’s because I never privy myself to competitive battles but as long as I can make a good team that I enjoy using I’m fine.

I don't mind. I've always made my first few teams for online battling in a region restricting myself only to Pokémon available in that region. It'll be no different, and if anything, the increasing size of regional Pokédexes have made this easier and easier to do.

From what I gathered from the July 8th trailer which introduced Chairman Rose, we can see our player character walking into the stadium of Motostoke with a bunch of other trainers wearing the same sport attire. I think this is during our first visit to Motostoke: trainers gather to Motostoke's gym to be welcomed by the chairman of the League and are presented tips and guidance. He then sends the trainers off and we travel to Milo's gym first, then Nessa's, before circling back around to Motostoke for our third gym battle. I don't expect other trainers to be with us during actual gym battles, so there must be a special reason why we get this scene.

Early screenshots showed Milo's Eldegoss to be at Level 21 and Nessa's Drednaw to be at Level 24. Following patterns of previous Pokémon games, that would make Milo the second Gym Leader and Nessa the third. If you do go into that Fire-type gym in Motostoke first, then that may just be the first one. Alternatively, there is a town in between where you fight that Gym Leader first. There is, however, always the possibility that you go for a longer time than normal before challenging Gyms and that Milo may actually be first.

Except in Black and White, however, the first Gym Leader is given a type that's not too hard to deal with--something straightforward, with either many weaknesses and many resistances or few weaknesses and few resistances. The Grass-type, despite having many weaknesses, is fairly advanced since it's immune to a few mechanics, not all of which are clear. The most common first gym type is Rock because its resistance to Normal and Flying force the player to think about type advantages and disadvantages rather than power through with whatever types they feel like, while their weaknesses to Water and Grass allow you to fall back on the starter if you're faltering (unless you picked the Fire starter). The second most common first gym type is Normal (I'm including Trial Captains here, so Ilima is part of this list) because there's not much to the type that isn't obvious, especially before you start acquiring Ghost Pokémon.

Grass, Water, and Fire are often encountered in the first half but, again, except in Striaton City, are never encountered first because their weaknesses are pretty easy to deduce, but you have to be thinking about weaknesses in the first place to actually do that. (Remember that many people who played Pokémon games in the past didn't know how to leave their player characters' rooms, so much that some games had "Help! I can't get out of my room!" in the pause tutorials!)

No, according to people on the Internet, you're only allowed to use the same dozen pokémon as everyone else and play it a specific way or you will be endlessly mocked and looked down on

...I wish I was making that mindset up, but it's depressingly common

Cause god forbid you play the game in a way you personally find enjoyable

Oh yes. I got a lot of flak for using off-the-beaten-path Pokémon, even when I'm winning.

To be honest I'm kind of worried that the wild area might not have all that much for me. It seems like the main thing you do there is catch pokemon and I already have a complete pokedex aside from a handful of mythicals, and I'll probably be able to catch most Galar mons while playing through the story.

I really hope that they make raid bosses really challenging even with postgame builds. Although I fear cheesing them with moves like Endeavor and Curse might be too easy.

If you mean Ghost Curse, that's a risky strategy, since your Pokémon will likely get knocked out on the next hit, and the remaining three players may actually be wiped out before the Max Raid Pokémon's HP runs out. (I'm thinking of Salmon Run in Splatoon 2, where there are some suicidal strategies too; more often than not, they lead the team to defeat because the other three players get overwhelmed.) I'm also guessing they've thought of Endeavor, especially since this was the crux of more than one sneaky strategy in the past that undoubtedly got Game Freak's attention.

Ultra Beast Lover

I've played games that actually look bad and still enjoyed them.

I'm sure you can live with a few underwhelming textures here and there.
Indeed. If people think a couple trees and a few rocks are bad, what would they think of a game like Tales of Symphonia? Awkward animation, bad explosion effects, Genis literally runs into a wall in the beginning of the game to meet with his friends just to name a few things.

Anyways, "awful" graphics aside, I'm glad we get to stay in a hotel. I like when games have you take a minute to relax and get to know other characters a little bit more.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
SwSh's graphics are definitely better than any of the pokemon games on the 3Ds and although nice graphics are nice, they aren't that important to me, I like games such as Stardew Valley, Untitled Goose Game and the DS pokemon games, none of those games are graphical masterpieces but they aren't trying to be. If anything had to be slightly off, I'm glad it's a tree or a rock and not a pokemon centre or anything.

Stoke, however, is in the Midlands.. which both halves just tend to not recognise and generally ignore. (Also mostly just banterous, but once again there's clear cultural differences.)

I would have said that the midlands don't exist and that a place is either North or South, but that would be proving your point wouldn't it ...

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

This is precisely why I don't keep a live pokedex, nor any pokemon in general when a new generation starts.

Starting over from scratch makes the next game an entirely fresh experience.

Orphalesion

Regarding these two points, I think the main point that should be brought up is that we know Galarian Ponyta can cure Poison simply by being nearby. That means they've chosen the older mythological beliefs about unicorns

No that's still the modern unicorn. The medieval unicorn had to be killed so that it's horn could be sawed off, pounded into powder and used as a medicine to cure poison. It's modern fairy unicorns that purify poisoned springs by dipping their horns into them.
The first account of unicornis comes from the Natural History Book "On India", written by the Ancient Greek physician Ctesias. He describes them as wild donkeys with horse feet and all sorts of stuff that wouldn't match the medieval or modern unicorn (and it's most likely a misinterpretation of the Indian Rhinoceros, which only has one horn)
There's some persistence to interpret a lot of ancient and preshistoric depictions of horned animals in profile as unicorns but YMMV on how valid that is.

But it's alright anyway, the only thing I really wanted to bring across was that newer interpretations of made up animals shouldn't be dismissed or declared "not real" just because they are new. The fairy unicorn that lives in a lilac forest, can disappear from sight at will and fights dragons is just as real and valid as the medieval unicorn.

Marzbar

SwSh's graphics are definitely better than any of the pokemon games on the 3Ds
Yeah.... because it’s on a Switch console which is a LOT more powerful.... of course the graphics are going to be better than a 3DS game. You can’t compare them

I think the issue was that they justified leaving things out of the game due to the demands of the new graphics and animations, but we didn’t really get amazing graphics and animations

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
I think the issue was that they justified leaving things out of the game due to the demands of the new graphics and animations, but we didn’t really get amazing graphics and animations

That's entirely the issue. In fact, SWSH itself (mostly) doesn't piss me off at all; it's the sheer incompetence and disingenuousness displayed in the marketing and PR surrounding it. When they brought us a much more sincere explanation for Dexit later down the line, all I could think was "why? Why did you ever point to 'high-quality animations' when that's never been and never will be Pokemon's strong suit? Were you trying to make people angry with you again?"

And the secrecy around this game in general would have been a great thing (especially after the SM trailers basically revealed the whole thing), but when you're in the midst of your biggest controversy, that's not the time to be secretive. And it's definitely not the time to consecutively push out two trailers and an entire livestream about giving Gen 1 Pokemon alternate forms when people have been complaining about Kanto pandering for years -- and that's coming from someone who actually likes those forms (except G-Max Meowth. That thing can go burn).

Even if SWSH turns out to be great (and after the recent reviews that came out, I'm more confident that it will), I'm still going to remember how utterly mishandled the buildup to it was. It's easily been the most stressful and least fun time I've had as a Pokemon fan, and that should not have been the case.