• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crawdaunt or Sharpedo?

• Total voters

nel3

Crimson Dragon
The random encounters

Ty for the reply. Though you'd think the chasing Pokemon would just chill if you happen to walk close by...

Last edited:

keithpetrosky

I don’t own these games or a switch yet and I am very confused on some features.

Does the games and the switch have a trade feature built in (without Pokémon home) to do similar to wonder trade and GTS? I’m wondering if the Pokémon can also hold items while being traded?

Now for home, I know there is a switch version and mobile version. If I don’t pay what features do I get for free, and to trade is that for the mobile version of home only or the switch version?

Whsts the difference between wonder box and surprise trade? Are they free or paid?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t own these games or a switch yet and I am very confused on some features.

Does the games and the switch have a trade feature built in (without Pokémon home) to do similar to wonder trade and GTS? I’m wondering if the Pokémon can also hold items while being traded?

Now for home, I know there is a switch version and mobile version. If I don’t pay what features do I get for free, and to trade is that for the mobile version of home only or the switch version?

Whsts the difference between wonder box and surprise trade? Are they free or paid?
I’m not sure about the Home situation, but SwSh have a trading system like LGPE where you can set a code (this time with numbers) and yes Pokémon can hold items.

glocc5000

If I kill 999 rookidee can I just keep running away till I get a shiny or do I gotta keep killing them?

Last edited:

Ghost94

As @Ignition said you can link trade in Sword and Shield, and yes, your Pokémon can hold items when traded. Wonder Trade is now called Surprise Trade, but there is no GTS in Sword and Shield.

Here is a list of all Pokémon Home features, this will clear up many of your questions:
https://www.serebii.net/pokemonhome/features.shtml

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If I kill 999 rookidee can I just keep running away till I get a shiny or do I gotta keep killing them?
You can keep running away once you get to 500 battles as shown in its Pokédex entry. Then you'll have a 3% chance for 5 extra rerolls once you run into a wild Rookidee, which is the best you can have for wild Pokémon in Sword and Shield.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Is it worth using XL Experience Candies to level my Pokemon all the way to 100 without battling and then use Vitamins/Hyper Training?
Or is it better just leveling up by battling?
Will Pokemon that's been raised by Rare Candies be weaker then battle trained Pokemon?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
What about using the vitamins first before i use Rare Candies to level a Pokemon up to Lv 100 and then use Hyper Training?
BCVM isn't reading your post properly. It doesn't matter. The stats of your pokémon only matter on four things:
  1. Level (higher level is higher stats)
  2. Species (some species are better at certain stats than other species, this can also change with forms, it's all in the serebii pokédex, in fandom these are often called base stats)
  3. EVs (you can get these from either vitamins, pokéjobs, or battling, it doesn't matter to the game how you get them, official sources often call these base stats)
  4. IVs (you can max these with hyper training)
The order of things doesn't matter. You can level the pokémon first, you can EV train in any way first before levelling, you can level and then hyper train before going for EVs, it doesn't matter. The game just adds it all up to form your actual pokémon's stats. Only thing I'll note about the vitamins is that they only give EVs in multiples of 10. But the stat system works in such a way that only EVs in multiples of 4 matter, and any remainder after dividing by 4 gets truncated out. So in general you want EV spreads to be divisible by 4, which somewhat limits the actual EV spreads you can make with purely vitamins.

glocc5000

You can keep running away once you get to 500 battles as shown in its Pokédex entry. Then you'll have a 3% chance for 5 extra rerolls once you run into a wild Rookidee, which is the best you can have for wild Pokémon in Sword and Shield.
So your saying out of 600 I got a 3% chance to get one and if not I gotta go through another 600 to get that 3%?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Has anyone encountered the issue: "You can't trade now because there is a problem with your Pokémon."?

I have one of my early route Pokémon hold Ribbon Sweet in return to the shiny variation of G-Max Pokémon. Is G-Max/Pokémon caught in raids are not tradeable or is it the sweets causing bottleneck?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
So your saying out of 600 I got a 3% chance to get one and if not I gotta go through another 600 to get that 3%?
You would have already battled that Pokémon at least 500 times and it gives you a 3% chance for boosted shiny odds. Otherwise the normal shiny rate would be used.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
But the stat system works in such a way that only EVs in multiples of 4 matter, and any remainder after dividing by 4 gets truncated out. So in general you want EV spreads to be divisible by 4, which somewhat limits the actual EV spreads you can make with purely vitamins.

Or divisible by 8 if you're using VGC and Wi-Fi rules, since Pokémon are scaled to Level 50 and you only get one point of stat gain for every eight Effort Points.

Has anyone encountered the issue: "You can't trade now because there is a problem with your Pokémon."?

I have one of my early route Pokémon hold Ribbon Sweet in return to the shiny variation of G-Max Pokémon. Is G-Max/Pokémon caught in raids are not tradeable or is it the sweets causing bottleneck?

Gigantamax Pokémon and Pokémon caught in raids can be traded. I've both sent and received Pokémon of both categories. It's possible that the Ribbon Sweet, only having been made available less than a week ago, hasn't been deemed a legal item to trade yet.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
How long does it take to make an online ID (or whatever it’s called) for competitions? I tried to apply for the last big competition event but when I tried setting up my ID it took forever & I eventually just gave up.

I want to try again for the international tournament since I really want that Ball Guy T-shirt, but I was wondering if either I’m doing something wrong or if there’s a way to speed up the registration process

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Do my Pokémon lose friendship when they faint during a Max Raid Battle? And do they also gain EVs upon defeating a Dynamax Pokémon in a Max Raid Battle?

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
How long does it take to make an online ID (or whatever it’s called) for competitions? I tried to apply for the last big competition event but when I tried setting up my ID it took forever & I eventually just gave up.

I want to try again for the international tournament since I really want that Ball Guy T-shirt, but I was wondering if either I’m doing something wrong or if there’s a way to speed up the registration process

Do you mean an ID specific to Pokémon Sword & Shield? Registration for that should be pretty simple. You likely ran into a disconnection somewhere along the way which caused the game to get confused and get stuck in a loop.

Do my Pokémon lose friendship when they faint during a Max Raid Battle? And do they also gain EVs upon defeating a Dynamax Pokémon in a Max Raid Battle?

No and no.

(I have found a case of a Pokémon contracting the Pokérus after a Max Raid Battle though.)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is the toxicitry g-max event the same as the one milcery is included in?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
is the toxicitry g-max event the same as the one milcery is included in?
Currently Gigantamax Toxtricity is in the same event raid pool as the Gigantamax Milcery raids. But Milcery leaves on February 16 and Gigantamax Toxtricity leaves way later on March 8.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Currently Gigantamax Toxtricity is in the same event raid pool as the Gigantamax Milcery raids. But Milcery leaves on February 16 and Gigantamax Toxtricity leaves way later on March 8.

Ty for the reply, hopefully I can have enough luck after milceryleaves. I've had 1 hatremeraid but no toxicity yet.