• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Crawdaunt or Sharpedo?

• Total voters

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Got a Weezing in, had stench as it’s ability. However, I put it into daycare to test a theory breeding with two everstones and it came back with levitate as it's ability. Has anyone else had that happen? And now when I try getting a second weezing, they all seem to have either of its regular abilities and not its hidden one.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Got a Weezing in, had stench as it’s ability. However, I put it into daycare to test a theory breeding with two everstones and it came back with levitate as it's ability. Has anyone else had that happen? And now when I try getting a second weezing, they all seem to have either of its regular abilities and not its hidden one.

Stench is a Hidden Ability, and Levitate is a standard Ability. Regardless of Everstone or not, you won't have a guaranteed chance of the Hidden Ability. What the Everstone guarantees, rather, is the Nature of the Pokémon holding it. (For instance, if your Weezing's Nature is Hardy, all of the Koffing you'll hatch will by Hardy. Two Everstones on Pokémon with different Natures makes it a toss-up between the two of them.

The mother must have the Hidden Ability for it to be passed on unless you're breeding with Ditto. If you've put in a Weezing with Levitate or Neutralizing Gas, you won't get any Stench Koffing even if the father has Stench (or Misty Surge if it's Galarian Weezing).

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Yes I understand that. The point I was asking about was the weezing I put into the daycare came back with its standard ability instead of the hidden it went in with.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yes I understand that. The point I was asking about was the weezing I put into the daycare came back with its standard ability instead of the hidden it went in with.

In that case...that shouldn't be possible. The only explanation I have is that you put the wrong Weezing in without realizing it. (This is a mistake I have done in the past.)

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
In that case...that shouldn't be possible. The only explanation I have is that you put the wrong Weezing in without realizing it. (This is a mistake I have done in the past.)

Hence my question. It was definitely the right weezing as I only had the sinele kantonian weezing at the time.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
In that case, would you like another Stench Weezing? I have an extra one I don't mind parting with.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
In that case, would you like another Stench Weezing? I have an extra one I don't mind parting with.

Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I don't have the ability to trade online. I'm investigating whether the hidden ability is only available the first time you trade a specific species with regina on my secondary game. Hopefully I can get one that way

ShadowForce720

Actually I think your misunderstanding how breeding hidden abilities work in Sword and Shield.

Basically a female Pokémon with it’s HA bred with a male Pokémon in the same egg has only a 60% chance of passing down its Hidden Ability.

The same is true if you breed a Pokémon of any gender with a HA with a Ditto the resulting offspring will also have a 60% chance of passing down its Hidden Ability.

This means that in the case of the HA Weezing it has a 40% chance of producing a offspring with one of it’s standard abilities.

So it is possible to get a couple Koffing with standard abilities and not get one with a HA until the 5th or 6th one or possibly even longer.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Actually I think your misunderstanding how breeding hidden abilities work in Sword and Shield.

Basically a female Pokémon with it’s HA bred with a male Pokémon in the same egg has only a 60% chance of passing down its Hidden Ability.

The same is true if you breed a Pokémon of any gender with a HA with a Ditto the resulting offspring will also have a 60% chance of passing down its Hidden Ability.

This means that in the case of the HA Weezing it has a 40% chance of producing a offspring with one of it’s standard abilities.

So it is possible to get a couple Koffing with standard abilities and not get one with a HA until the 5th or 6th one or possibly even longer.

No, that was in response to Prince Amrod putting in a Weezing with Stench and mysteriously having it changed to Levitate when removed from the Day Care.

Quick and stupid question from an old Gen 1 player that recently picked Sword at the weekend.
I was looking up that serebii for information on new Pokemon today and realised there was some WiFi event Pokemon raid thing going over the weekend. Just wondering how do I participate or am I better off finishing the game and try and trade at a later point for it?

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
Quick and stupid question from an old Gen 1 player that recently picked Sword at the weekend.
I was looking up that serebii for information on new Pokemon today and realised there was some WiFi event Pokemon raid thing going over the weekend. Just wondering how do I participate or am I better off finishing the game and try and trade at a later point for it?
If you mean the Zeraora raid event, the raids ended over a week ago and the actual obtaining through Pokemon Home was only available through the 6 th

iiskribbli

cool kid but not cool and not a kid
Hi, I don't actually have either game yet, but I'm wondering which game is more worth it in your opinion.
I like the legendary in sword more, but the exclusive gym trainers in shield are better than the ones in sword (in my opinion.) Also, my friend has shield, and I'm wondering if I get sword, can I play online with them? I've only seen a little gameplay from shield, so I'm not sure about the stories or characters of either. Sorry if these questions are obvious or annoying, but uh, yeah.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Hi, I don't actually have either game yet, but I'm wondering which game is more worth it in your opinion.
I like the legendary in sword more, but the exclusive gym trainers in shield are better than the ones in sword (in my opinion.) Also, my friend has shield, and I'm wondering if I get sword, can I play online with them? I've only seen a little gameplay from shield, so I'm not sure about the stories or characters of either. Sorry if these questions are obvious or annoying, but uh, yeah.
Sword and Shield are exactly the same game when it comes to the storyline and plot. No differences whatsoever. If you plan on getting only one of the games then which one comes down to a few small differences in small details. Two of the gym leaders in one game do not appear in the other and there are Pokémon exclusive to one of those two games. Pokémon can be traded so through surprise trading you are more than likely to get nearly all the non-legendary Pokémon at some point if you use that feature. But if your friend has Shield then I would suggest buying Sword and then work with your friend on trading and completing the Pokédex if you’re into that. If you’re not into that then just pick one and play

iiskribbli

cool kid but not cool and not a kid
Sword and Shield are exactly the same game when it comes to the storyline and plot. No differences whatsoever. If you plan on getting only one of the games then which one comes down to a few small differences in small details. Two of the gym leaders in one game do not appear in the other and there are Pokémon exclusive to one of those two games. Pokémon can be traded so through surprise trading you are more than likely to get nearly all the non-legendary Pokémon at some point if you use that feature. But if your friend has Shield then I would suggest buying Sword and then work with your friend on trading and completing the Pokédex if you’re into that. If you’re not into that then just pick one and play
True, and I'm swaying towards sword, although, I do like the gym leaders in shield better, thanks for the help actually! I completely forgot about trading!

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530

If worth you mean value then technically Shield has the higher value of legendary as Zamazenta is rarer than Zacian just because there's a lot who got Sword. If you mean by worth is which has a more usable Pokemon then I stil believe Zacian to be the better box legendary.

Other than that it'a a toss up: both games are almost literally the same, and even version exclusives are easier to get now with raids.

Pat216

Hello,

I’m trying to max my Gengar's special attack and speed stat, but can’t raise speed past 319. I reset it’s EVs via the Isle of Armor NPC and then have only EV trained/used vitamins to raise its speed and special attack. I also used berries to confirm all other stats did not have any EVs (and got the “It won’t have any affect” message). I can't use Carbos, or Swift Feather to increase its speed stat anymore. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Here's some info on my Gengar:

Lv: 100
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk. & - Attack)
Hp: "Hyper trained!" 261 (MAX stat is 324)
Attack: "Hyper trained" 149 (MAX stat is 251)
Defense: "Hyper trained!" 156 (MAX stat is 240)
Sp. Atk.: "Hyper trained" 394 (MAX stat is 394)
Sp. Def.: "Hyper trained" 186 (MAX stat is 273)
Speed: "Hyper trained” 319 (MAX stat is 350)

I’m not sure why I can’t increase the speed stat any further. Thanks for your help!

KillerDraco

Hello,

I’m trying to max my Gengar's special attack and speed stat, but can’t raise speed past 319. I reset it’s EVs via the Isle of Armor NPC and then have only EV trained/used vitamins to raise its speed and special attack. I also used berries to confirm all other stats did not have any EVs (and got the “It won’t have any affect” message). I can't use Carbos, or Swift Feather to increase its speed stat anymore. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Here's some info on my Gengar:

Lv: 100
Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk. & - Attack)
Hp: "Hyper trained!" 261 (MAX stat is 324)
Attack: "Hyper trained" 149 (MAX stat is 251)
Defense: "Hyper trained!" 156 (MAX stat is 240)
Sp. Atk.: "Hyper trained" 394 (MAX stat is 394)
Sp. Def.: "Hyper trained" 186 (MAX stat is 273)
Speed: "Hyper trained” 319 (MAX stat is 350)

I’m not sure why I can’t increase the speed stat any further. Thanks for your help!

Merged into the existing help thread because this didn't need an entire thread for one question.

The answer is that 319 is the max speed a Modest Gengar can reach. To reach the maximum possible speed value for Gengar, which would be 350, you would need a speed boosting nature, such as Timid. By virtue of how nature works, you can't have both max speed and special attack, since nature will only give a 10% boost to a single stat.

Timid is generally better because Modest Gengar is outsped by speed-natured Base 96 or higher, which opens it up to be checked by a lot of things it would otherwise outspeed.