• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword & Shield - RECENT HAPPENINGS Thread

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
Killing time waiting for SV leaks by trying to Masuda a shiny Dhelmise. Started with two boxes. Also gathering Sableye eggs while I hatch the Dhelmise. Guess you could say I'm working on Anchor Management. :D

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
While waiting for Home to release for SV and with Pokémon Bank being free-to-use I decided to check a bunch of my past games and start pushing some Pokémon all the way to Home or Sword/Shield. I found a few treasures that I somehow missed stranded in my HeartGold game: the legendary birds and Lugia from Pokémon XD. I moved them up to my Shield game to get competitive sets on these rare Pokémon. I got Lugia to level 100 before I realized that Psycho Boost is unusable in the game so I just boxed it back into Home. However, I took Zapdos and got it set up how I want it and got it a Battle Tower Ribbon, Galar champion ribbon, Effort ribbon and best friend ribbon to go along with its rare National Ribbon (I may get it some of the BDSP ribbons while I wait). I kept one of the exclusive moves to just emphasize that this is a rare Zapdos. This is what I chose for it (not the world’s best but it works just to have for fun):

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Timid Nature / 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Discharge
- Extrasensory
- Air Cutter
- Twister

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I decided to start playing Sword again as part of my "establish a near-100% completed file of every Pokemon game on my new Nintendo Switch OLED" as it was the only game where I knew what team I wanted to use. Currently at Wedgehurst about to board the train to the Wild Area and so far? Game has been pretty fun. I didn't realise how slow the Poke Ball shake was when you tried to capture anything (it drags on so much, gives me D/P Surf flashbacks) but beyond that the game looks great on the OLED and it's been nice to return to Galar for a fresh start.

As you can see from my team, there's been some trading occurring - I like keeping my team levels as equal as possible but Slow experience group Pokemon just ruin that! Which is a shame because those include some of my favourites. Traded experience seems to alleviate that, so I traded over a Dreepy and Hatenna via HOME (having bred them on my Sword file on my original Nintendo Switch) to use on my team early on. Dreepy knows Baton Pass so as to allow it to see some use in battles, but be quickly swapped out as and when needed. So far the Ghost typing has been very useful against all the Normal types but it's already pretty weak and dragging it around for another 41 levels just to evolve once might end in disaster? Hatenna is slow and doesn't feel super strong but I suspect it'll become more useful as enemy types diversify. Grookey is great and Rookidee was only caught after my traded duo were obtained because I wanted my entire team in different Poke Balls? Grookey is in a Poke Ball, Dreepy in an Ultra Ball, Hatenna in a Heal Ball and Rookidee in a Great Ball.

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Grookey, Level 11
Scratch, Growl, Branch Poke, Taunt

Normal.png
Phantom the Dreepy, Level 9
Bite, Infestation, Quick Attack, Baton Pass

Normal.png
Fey the Hatenna, Level 9
Confusion, Play Nice, Life Dew

Normal.png
Huginn the Rookidee, Level 5
Peck, Leer, Power Trip

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Well I've played for a whopping 7 hours today (which is impressive for me!) and got all the way up to defeating Kabu and reaching the Wild Area for the second time. Honestly the hardest fights from the game so far have been from wild Pokemon in the Wild Area - Stufful has been my nemesis due to its solid bulk, access to Dark type moves and somehow always being a high level? I also nearly got wiped by an overly aggressive Seedot that refused to go in the Poke Ball...

Anywho, I've defeated 3 gym leaders so far and none of them were particularly difficult. Against Milo I had Corvisquire 2HKO his Gossifleur with Pluck, then unleashed the Dynamax Dreepy against his Eldegoss! Which went about as well as expected - all 3 turns used up, not much damage done and I had to Baton Pass out to avoid being KOed. Corvisquire came in and won with Pluck. Against Nessa I had Dreepy actually get a proper win against her Goldeen, Toxel took out Arrokuda with Nuzzle into Belch, and then Thwackey Max Overgrowth one-shot Drednaw. Easy! Kabu I prepped by having Sirfetch'd learn Facade for Arcanine, but it never used the move so critical hit Rock Smash won that fight. Ninetales fell to Toxel (Nuzzle + Belch spam worked really well) and then Corvisquire Max Aistream spammed to KO Centiskorch.

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Thwackey, Level 30
Double Hit, Razor Leaf, Screech, Knock Off

Normal.png
Phantom the Dreepy, Level 29

Normal.png
Fey the Hatenna, Level 29
Psybeam, Aromatherapy, Magical Leaf, Disarming Voice

Normal.png
Huginn the Corvisquire, Level 30
Pluck, Facade, Power Trip, Hone Claws

Normal.png
Crackle the Toxtricity, Level 30
Nuzzle, Spark, Belch, Acid

Normal.png
Avalon the Sirfetch'd, Level 30
Throat Chop, Focus Energy, Facade, Rock Smash

Baggie_Saiyan

I decided to start playing Sword again as part of my "establish a near-100% completed file of every Pokemon game on my new Nintendo Switch OLED" as it was the only game where I knew what team I wanted to use. Currently at Wedgehurst about to board the train to the Wild Area and so far? Game has been pretty fun. I didn't realise how slow the Poke Ball shake was when you tried to capture anything (it drags on so much, gives me D/P Surf flashbacks) but beyond that the game looks great on the OLED and it's been nice to return to Galar for a fresh start.

As you can see from my team, there's been some trading occurring - I like keeping my team levels as equal as possible but Slow experience group Pokemon just ruin that! Which is a shame because those include some of my favourites. Traded experience seems to alleviate that, so I traded over a Dreepy and Hatenna via HOME (having bred them on my Sword file on my original Nintendo Switch) to use on my team early on. Dreepy knows Baton Pass so as to allow it to see some use in battles, but be quickly swapped out as and when needed. So far the Ghost typing has been very useful against all the Normal types but it's already pretty weak and dragging it around for another 41 levels just to evolve once might end in disaster? Hatenna is slow and doesn't feel super strong but I suspect it'll become more useful as enemy types diversify. Grookey is great and Rookidee was only caught after my traded duo were obtained because I wanted my entire team in different Poke Balls? Grookey is in a Poke Ball, Dreepy in an Ultra Ball, Hatenna in a Heal Ball and Rookidee in a Great Ball.

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Grookey, Level 11
Scratch, Growl, Branch Poke, Taunt

Normal.png
Phantom the Dreepy, Level 9

Normal.png
Fey the Hatenna, Level 9
Confusion, Play Nice, Life Dew

Normal.png
Huginn the Rookidee, Level 5
Peck, Leer, Power Trip
I want to play through SwSh again on OLED too, after I finish LGPE. Also never played Arceus or BDSP on OLED although less inclined to replay BDSP lol never realised what a difference it would be going from Lite to Oled!

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I want to play through SwSh again on OLED too, after I finish LGPE. Also never played Arceus or BDSP on OLED although less inclined to replay BDSP lol never realised what a difference it would be going from Lite to Oled!
Right? I had an OG Switch (the one with the horrible battery life) and the OLED makes the game look so much better! Might be because the bigger screen means I can actually see what I'm doing, but it definitely looks good. I hope you do give SwSh another go on the OLED!

I've had another gaming binge today, with about a third of it just spent going around the Wild Area doing Raid Battles. I've been a bit more careful with my team levels as Hatterene and Dreepy are both traded Pokemon, so will disobey me if they go over the set level from each gym badge. Unfortunately this game for some reason does the increases in 5-level increments compared to the 10-levels you'd get in older games, so when I hit the Wild Area the second time to reach Hammerlocke I had to make sure I stayed at or below level 35 for Bea (which is a long time).

In order to do this I just did the Raid Battles and caught nothing else between beating Kabu and battling Bea. Luckily the Raids offered some cool Pokemon - Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Cufant, Crustle and Lampent were some of the highlights! These in turn nabbed me some cool TRs including High Horsepower, Darkest Lariat, Psychic, Leaf Blade, Iron Head, Heavy Slam, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, X Scissor, Leech Life, Wild Charge and Brave Bird! Some of these were taught to various team members as you can see below. I've not used my Brave Bird TR yet as I don't know who to use it on - Sirfetch'd probably doesn't need it as it's moveset is very solid bar me wanting a better Fighting STAB and Swords Dance? Which now I've typed that out makes the choice easy, but I digress.

Bea was a reasonable challenge, as I actually ended up under-levelled (level 34) when it came to battling her! Dreepy managed to beat Hitmontop as it doesn't know a move to hit Ghost types, Sirfetch'd two-shot Pangoro with Rock Smash, Hattrem lost to Bea's own Sirfetch'd so mine came back out to 2HKO with critical-hit Leaf Blade attacks, and Corvisquire claimed another final boss win by Dynamaxing and Max Airstream-ing GMax Machamp for an easy two-shot. Was a bit disappointed Hattrem lost but I tried the fight another way and it didn't KO Sirfetch'd anyway, and got one-shot by Brutal Swing regardless.

Ballonlea is still my favourite city in all of Pokemon and I would absolutely live there if I could! Thwackey and Corvisquire evolved en-route so I had two fully evolved menaces for Opal, who was a joke. Weezing fell to Hattrem's Psychic, Rillaboom smacked Mawile with a couple of High Horsepower attacks, Toxtricity was outsped by Togekiss but still 2HKOed with Discharge and Corviknight went 3 in a row with beating the gym leader's ace - Max Steelspike took down GMax Alcremie with very little issue.

Beyond that, nothing major to report! Sirfetch'd has horrible luck with Confusion and got KOed by Hop's Trevenant, a Galvantula on Route 7 refused to go in an Ultra Ball which was infuriating and I'm surprised I haven't been super over-levelled so far. The team is really good - Dreepy finds solid use against a lot of the really scary Fighting types (Sawk mainly) as for some reason they don't have moves that can hit Ghost types, and there are a fair few battles like that in-game! Hatterene is really good now it's fully evolved, and Hattrem wasn't awful whilst I had it. Rillaboom is great and I've enjoyed actually being able to use my starter in battles without other teammates lagging behind. Toxtricity and Corviknight are probably my MVPs with how consistently good they've been, and Sirfetch'd would be up there with them if I wasn't still annoyed by how unlucky I was with the Confusion woes.

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Rillaboom, Level 44
Drum Beating, High Horsepower, U-Turn, Darkest Lariat

Normal.png
Phantom the Dreepy, Level 44

Normal.png
Fey the Hatterene, Level 44
Psychic, Draining Kiss, Magical Leaf, Dazzling Gleam

Normal.png
Huginn the Corviknight, Level 43
Drill Peck, Revenge, U-Turn, Iron Head

Normal.png
Crackle the Toxtricity, Level 43
Discharge, Nuzzle, Hex, Poison Jab

Normal.png
Avalon the Sirfetch'd, Level 44
Throat Chop, Leaf Blade, Steel Wing, Brick Break

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Well since my last post I've made it all the way to Wyndon, which means I've completed the gym challenge! Really wasn't that difficult in the end, this playthrough has taught me that wild Pokemon you're trying to capture are way tougher than Gym Leaders. As you can see by my team levels I am very over-levelled going into the Champion Cup (which upon looking up I've realised the levels start at 47-49) but at this point I'm not really playing for challenge? I'm just playing to use some of my favourite Pokemon from the Galar region.

Not much to say about those remaining gym battles - a combination of Rillaboom, Corviknight, Toxtricity and Sirfetch'd beat Geordie, Piers fell to the same squad (with Hatterene swapped for Toxtricity) and Raihan fell with maybe the most challenge of all the gyms (which is to say, not a lot) to Rillaboom, Hatterene, Corviknight and Sirfetch'd. Fun fact: Sirfetch'd beat the aces of all 3 Gym Leaders! That's pretty neat, Fighting types are really good in this game and definitely continue this trend going into the Champion Cup and beyond.

After beating Raihan I decided to go to the Wild Area to do some more capturing before everyone scales to Level 60, and got my Pokedex up to 229! Caught some cool dudes like Glaceon, Espeon, Galarian Weezing, Claydol, Golurk, Ditto, Hitmontop, Shiinotic, Steelix, Gengar, Conkeldurr, Klinklang, Haxorus, Gallade and some other Pokemon I cannot remember. Naturally this levelled up my team quite a bit! Dreepy evolved on Route 9 and Route 10 respectively into its final form, so it was actually usable from before Piers? No more relying on battling Hop's Dubwool and random Sawk / Throh trainers, now we have reasonably strong STAB attacks to fire off (and Flamethrower)! Praise be.

Next stop - exploring Wyndon, upgrading my drip that you never see in major battles, and beating up my rivals to show them that the MC means business!

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Rillaboom, Level 61
Wood Hammer, High Horsepower, U-Turn, Darkest Lariat

Normal.png
Phantom the Dragapult, Level 61
Dragon Darts, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, U-Turn

Normal.png
Fey the Hatterene, Level 60

Normal.png
Huginn the Corviknight, Level 60
Brave Bird, Revenge, U-Turn, Iron Head

Normal.png
Crackle the Toxtricity, Level 60
Overdrive, Nuzzle, Boomburst, Sludge Bomb

Normal.png
Avalon the Sirfetch'd, Level 60
Throat Chop, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Brick Break

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m taking a break from SV to play through my Sword game for a little bit. I’ve mainly been exploring the Galar region, spending time with my Pokémon in the camps, & gathering supplies, but right now I’m trying to focus on four goals (most of which are things I didn’t do during SWSH’s prime):
  • Complete the Curry Dex
  • Battle Regigigas in the Crown Tundra
  • Unlock Sordward & Shielbert in the Galarian Star Tournament
  • Catch a Route 10 Duraludon with a mark in a Safari Ball for my Paldean team
I finished most of the Curry Dex during my initial playthrough, so I only have a few recipes left to complete. I’ve also been making an effort to complete them with groups in the Wild Area since it makes the challenge more fun

While I did transfer back a lot of my SWSH pokémon, I also made a new team to use as stand-ins for my Paldean mons so I can act like I brought them to Galar with me:
  • Charmelon (Crocalor)
  • Galvantula (Spidops)
  • Mawile (Tinkatuff)
  • Passimian (Primeape)
  • Tangrowth (Ogerpon)

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Speedrunning through a new save on a different account to get Spectrier and Regidrago as they are the only two I am missing from completing my dexes in my actual save.

I'm at Stow-On-Side right now.

Planning to beat the gyms than transfer over some of my mons to brute force crown tundra and get those Pokemon.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
My new story team is
Dartrix
Raboot
Kubfu
Umbreon
Cubone

Backups: for story: Leafeon, Gardevoir, Excadrill, Gigantamax Squirtle, Sylveon, Jirachi and Axew

I kept these in a HOME box (any others legendaries not mentioned are in violet)
All 4 Tapu Guardians
Lunala
Solgaleo
Melmetal
Zygarde
Regigigas
Blacephalon

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
It has been nearly 3 months since my last post! Crazy how time flies, so much has happened since then! I did neglect this Sword playthrough until Christmas, but I found the time to beat the main story and the post-game which is neat. I don't remember many of the battles though... I usually make sure every Pokemon gets one fight so nobody sweeps anyone, which was doable. I think Leon made himself lose by setting up Sand with his GMax Charizard using Max Rockfall against my Dynamax'd Toxtricity only to be KO'd by it? The post-game legendary battles were actually quite difficult? My team does not handle Zamazenta that well it would appear. But it's done!

What is left for this playthrough? Quite a bit actually! I'll list it below:
  1. Complete the Pokedex - as you'll see at the bottom I've caught 234 Pokemon out of a possible 401 (including Galarian Slowpoke which is technically a DLC Pokemon) so I have a ton to evolve and raise up!
  2. Defeat Morimoto - something I sometimes forget to do but he's a fun fight usually
  3. Clear the DLCs - I haven't actually bought them yet for this file (as it's on my OLED) but I thought I'd wait until I beat the story + did the Pokedex before starting this! This will be new content for me too as I never did beat the DLCs when they were relevant
DLC content includes beating the story, completing their respective Pokedex and (if it's not too much hassle) beating their strongest trainer. That would be Mustard and/or Honey in the Isle of Armor, and the Galarian Star Tournament in the Crown Tundra! Honey might be a skip depending on how easy it is to get the Watts to upgrade the Dojo to unlock her, we shall see. If the Pokedex requires me to capture the previous generation's legendaries I may leave it as I don't want to grind too much and would like to move onto other games. When I come to beat BDSP I might come back to grinding out the legendaries as I'd rather do it via the Dynamax Adventures than hunting for shards in the Grand Underground. Beyond that... that'll be it! Sword file complete, and I can move onto another game.

The Team:
Normal.png
Grohlrilla the Rillaboom, Level 68
Wood Hammer, High Horsepower, U-Turn, Darkest Lariat

My trusty starter, I haven't used a Grass starter on it's own through to the end in a loooooooong time! It was actually pretty good - fast enough to get quick KOs when needed, bulky enough to tank a hit if it didn't knock out the opponent in a single hit, had decent coverage especially once it reached its final evolution. Wood Hammer recoil does suck a bit but it wasn't the end of the world. I can't say it was a super exciting Pokemon to use? Might be because of the gap I took in playing through the story but I just don't remember being wow'd by it. Still cool though!

Normal.png
Phantom the Dragapult, Level 70
Dragon Darts, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, U-Turn

This was a funny Pokemon to use - Dreepy was not actually that bad to use? The game throws enough Fighting and Normal types with poor coverage at you to make Infestation + Quick Attack / Bite combo a slow but useable way to win, and then you get Drakkloak which is workable. Dragapult is as incredible as you'd expect it to be with solid coverage and strong moves, it's great! It does take a lot of effort though to make it just serviceable though - traded experience and not caring about over-levelling essentially.

Normal.png
Fey the Hatterene, Level 70

Hatterene was a solid addition to the squad - Hattena started out a bit weak and Hattrem was fine to use, but Hatterene? Fairy types be busted. Draining Kiss did so much damage let alone Dazzling Gleam and Psychic! I don't think I ever really used Magical Leaf. Shame it was really slow but the bulk helps a lot, can't be perfect. Also a big shame that all the Fighting types either have no coverage for Ghost types, or know a million Dark moves that make my witchy gal a pain to use against them.

Normal.png
Huginn the Corviknight, Level 69
Brave Bird, Revenge, U-Turn, Iron Head

The ol' reliable for Galar throughout the story. Pure Flying is so good and then Flying/Steel is incredible! Gets strong moves from the get-go and never lets up until the end of the game, where it's a bit weak but it's so tanky that I really do not mind. Iron Head was nice in place of Steel Wing but not necessary, I do wish I'd gotten a Body Press TR though as Revenge wasn't great to use by the end-game. Was my wall against the Legendary Wolves, who are terrifying by the way!

Normal.png
Crackle the Toxtricity, Level 69
Overdrive, Nuzzle, Boomburst, Sludge Bomb

The second ol' reliable for Galar - I've never not had one of these dudes on my team because it's honestly incredible. The Toxel stage isn't even bad! Belch + the bajillion berries you get early on is a killer combo, Nuzzle makes capturing wild Pokemon a breeze and it hits like a truck. Sludge Bomb TR was incredible but Overdrive goes brrr in this game honestly. I love it.

Normal.png
Avalon the Sirfetch'd, Level 69
Throat Chop, Leaf Blade, Swords Dance, Brick Break

Fighting types are incredible in Galar, especially from the moment you clear Ballonlea. Hop has two Normal types on his team, the last 3 gyms are either weak to you or have Pokemon that are, Macro Cosmos has a bunch of Steel types to annihilate, it's beautiful. Sirfetch'd lacks good Fighting STAB until around that time (Revenge is do-do and Rock Smash doesn't do a lot very quickly) but it evolves fast and critical hits come very easy for it. Grass and Dark coverage is also amazing, so yeah! It's good, use one if you've not for whatever reason.

Pokedex: 234 / 401
Current Play Time: 27 hours

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I have been playing Sword intermittently when I have some spare time and motivation, mainly working on the Pokedex. I've still not bought the DLC for this save file as I wanted to have 400/400 Pokemon before moving onto the next stage of the games, and I am pleased to say that I am almost done! I am only missing Appletun and Drampa now - I don't suppose someone can trade one of each to me? I have the rest of the Pokedex so I can provide almost anything!

EDIT: Thanks to Ignition and HiroArk I can officially say I have completed my Pokedex in Sword! DLC is next... eventually. Might play Let's Go Pikachu as a small break.

Final Team - Pokemon Sword:
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I have been playing Sword intermittently when I have some spare time and motivation, mainly working on the Pokedex. I've still not bought the DLC for this save file as I wanted to have 400/400 Pokemon before moving onto the next stage of the games, and I am pleased to say that I am almost done! I am only missing Appletun and Drampa now - I don't suppose someone can trade one of each to me? I have the rest of the Pokedex so I can provide almost anything!

Final Team - Pokemon Sword:
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
Normal.png
I can trade them to you in roughly 2 hours if no one else can