• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword & Shield - RECENT HAPPENINGS Thread

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Caught a shiny HA G-Meowth after significantly fewer raids than Eiscue which is pleasing. Not sure whether to hunt a second though. Can't decide whether I'd rather run Steely Spirit or have the boost from Tough Claws instead.
Also bred a sextet of Rotom for training and transforming into the various forms. Thought I'd see if I got the 6 I wanted before one hatched shiny using the foreign ditto I have. Sadly, no shiny.

Edit: caught a second Meowth shortly before midnight reset. Tough claws so both options are open.
Lucky you. I played both events and did not get a shiny for either. Tough luck there for me. I did manage to join a shiny Mandibuzz raid and was lucky enough to catch it. Thinking about using a mint and ability capsule so I can use it. But, yeah, missed out on the event shinies. Glad to see that some people are getting the luck with them that I’m not getting.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Lucky you. I played both events and did not get a shiny for either. Tough luck there for me. I did manage to join a shiny Mandibuzz raid and was lucky enough to catch it. Thinking about using a mint and ability capsule so I can use it. But, yeah, missed out on the event shinies. Glad to see that some people are getting the luck with them that I’m not getting.
I raid endlessly until I get them. Before Eiscue I had 399 dynite ore, after the second Meowth I had around 970 and that's with switching to the first wild area as the weather was more conducive to finding the next battle. In total I hit up around 650 dens to get them all

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I raid endlessly until I get them. Before Eiscue I had 399 dynite ore, after the second Meowth I had around 970 and that's with switching to the first wild area as the weather was more conducive to finding the next battle. In total I hit up around 650 dens to get them all
That makes sense. I raid for an hour but never more than two per day for these events. I am less committed than you.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I only take the events with the Shinies that I want seriously. I wasn't serious at all with this Meowth event, and I got three of them shiny.

Eiscue? Zero.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
That makes sense. I raid for an hour but never more than two per day for these events. I am less committed than you.
Committed is the nice way of putting it... Tbh it's more that it's something to do to keep me playing the game that's more than breeding whatever makes the pokemon of the week slot.

Trained a bunch of shinies from those events up. As well as a clutch of Rotom and Stonjourner. Thinking of ribbon sweet for the Milcery to evolve it.

DannyDiglett

The rate of encountering shiny Pokémon is so weird. I just don't understand it. This is what happened to me recently:
  • I wanted to play the SwSh storyline again so I started a new file last week. When I walked around on route 4 I encountered a shiny Eevee. It was the first Eevee I encountered on this file! Encountering a shiny that quickly didn't happen when I played Shield for the first time.
  • During the recent Eiscue event (on my first file) the first Max Raid Battle I ran into was already against a shiny Eiscue.
  • During the last Meowth event (also on my first file) I had multiple Max Raid Battles against Galarian Meowth but none of them were shiny.
How can this be explained?

Bus

The rate of encountering shiny Pokémon is so weird. I just don't understand it. This is what happened to me recently:
  • I wanted to play the SwSh storyline again so I started a new file last week. When I walked around on route 4 I encountered a shiny Eevee. It was the first Eevee I encountered on this file! Encountering a shiny that quickly didn't happen when I played Shield for the first time.
  • During the recent Eiscue event (on my first file) the first Max Raid Battle I ran into was already against a shiny Eiscue.
  • During the last Meowth event (also on my first file) I had multiple Max Raid Battles against Galarian Meowth but none of them were shiny.
How can this be explained?
Luck.

We know the probability of finding shinies and what affects the rate, but in the end, it all boils down to luck. When you flip a coin, there's a 50% chance it'll be heads and 50% chance it'll be tails. If you flip it 10 times, statistically you're likely to see it land on either side half the time, but that doesn't mean it will turn out that way; it's completely possible it'll come up tails or heads for all ten flips.

Same with Shiny Hunting. If something's got a 1/100 chance of being shiny, it doesn't mean that on your 100th encounter, the pokemon will be shiny; just that you're likely to have encountered one by then. Since it's all luck, you could still go another 300 encounters before you finally see one.

So, you happened to get lucky with a few of your encounters and not so much during one of the events. Nothing more than that, really.

DannyDiglett

Luck.

We know the probability of finding shinies and what affects the rate, but in the end, it all boils down to luck. When you flip a coin, there's a 50% chance it'll be heads and 50% chance it'll be tails. If you flip it 10 times, statistically you're likely to see it land on either side half the time, but that doesn't mean it will turn out that way; it's completely possible it'll come up tails or heads for all ten flips.

Same with Shiny Hunting. If something's got a 1/100 chance of being shiny, it doesn't mean that on your 100th encounter, the pokemon will be shiny; just that you're likely to have encountered one by then. Since it's all luck, you could still go another 300 encounters before you finally see one.

So, you happened to get lucky with a few of your encounters and not so much during one of the events. Nothing more than that, really.
Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, we just have to accept this.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Finished the remaining sparring types to earn the t shirt as well as another 200 battle points for nature mints. So another group of shiny pokemon are now in their appropriate boxes. Gonna evolve my shiny Milcery with a ribbon sweet and file that in a bit. Then tomorrow I shall start new Snap!

Jeppo

For the first time ever, I completed the dex and got myself a shiny charm.

Now, to figure out which shiny is worth killing time for. Might go and try to get a shiny Axew. A black Haxorus looks kinda cool.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Training Rufus, he took care of 90% of the Galar Mine with Metal Claw. Only assist was Cocoa Handling the Timburr trainers. Dusk took down Bede in a biting frenzy as well. Along Route 4 i managed to find the smallest and biggest Pumpkaboo right next to each other. Also caught my own Galarian Meowth, so i can trade the Surprise trade one to the kid in Turffield. Milo's Gym was mostly uneventful. Cocoa Double Hit everything into victory, since he restists grass. I did have Dusk Roar Gossifleur away thinking Milo would Dynamax it as his last pokemon for some reason though. :p

Couple wonder trades with my failed ralts. About half of them I ended up receiving Hacked and/or ".com" pokemon. One didn't even have a location just 'found in a pokemon den'

after the Gym i headed my way to the Island of Armor. Was interested in seeing how far i could get without the Water Bike and at level 21. Ended up distracted with Diglett hunting though. Managed to get up to 33 and all the gift pokemon with it. Saved just before a battle with Mustard

Edit: After the Mustard battle, it was time for our Dojo Trials. Didn't think i'd be able to catch Slowpoke without the bike, but luckily they are set in a pattern/loop. I chose the Bulbasaur as my trial reward and i'll probably send it to Shield for a double starter playthrough. Found a Cramorant on my way through the forest and to my surprise it was only level 20. So now i have a Cramorant 2 gyms early thanks to the Island of Armor. Got 27k Watts from Digging Pa on my way into Warm-Up Tunnel for the Mushrooms. Had trouble against Klara, becuase i kept forgetting about Koffing's Levitate. Fed the Max Soup to a Butterfree in my PC and saved again.

Team
Cocoa - Thwackey lvl 24
Dusk - Yamper lvl 24
Rufus - Drilbur lvl 22
Atlas - Cramorant lvl 20

Last edited:

Luthor

I've had an ongoing MM shiny hunt for a Unovan Yamask which is still on 1638 eggs and still no shiny. Decided to take a break and use the other day care for a Kantonian Slowpoke and to see which would take longer....and got a shiny in 45 eggs. Well that was a fun experiment.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Tried to wait for more people to post in between my posts, but its been 2 weeks.

Went back to Route 5 to train my pokemon for the final Klara fight. While Training i caught a Galar Farfetch'd for the eventual Kanto trade. Also caught and evolved a Minccino just to use up a Shiny Stone. The Trainer battles from Route 5 to Nessa were a Cakewalk. being 6-7 levels higher than Hop and 4-6 over Nessa. Cocoa OHKO'd Gigantamax Drednaw even. Before i headed back to Isle of Armor, i made a quick detour to Galar Mine 2. Wanted to catch a Galar Stunfisk for that trade as well. Forgot about Bede, but Overleveled Dusk OHKO'd everything. I Got Lucky with the Klara battle because i was unaware of the Toxic Spikes and ended up starting with Atlas. Only problem was Dynamax Slowbro. I was still 5 levels over though, so it ended well anyway. Recieved Kubfu, and did the "Find Dojo Trainers for Friendship" Thing. Dont know how they expect you to fight the towers at level 10. Before i left the island again, i got 185,000 watts from Digging Pa and upgraded the Dojo to a full Vending Machine. Also found the Kanto Meowth trade, so now i have two of them.

Made it to the end of Galar Mine 2 and Found Kabu before taking a break.

Team
Cocoa - Thwackey lvl 32
Dusk - Boltund lvl 32
Rufus - Drilbur lvl 30
Atlas - Cramorant lvl 30
Poe - Kubfu lvl 17

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
Got very sidelined with pokemon snap... It's very distracting that game...

Carried on adding the various pokemon of the week to my trained roster, Moltres duo being the latest. Caught shiny Wooloo this evening after only about 50 den checks. Would've missed it had I not gone and rechecked the Isle of Armor dens. Wooloo's silhouette didn't register when I first looked at it. Unsure whether to hunt for others, the primary purpose would be to replenish my ore supply. Under 400 piecer after multiple patch purchases.

In slightly not main series news, obtained a shiny VC HA Feraligatr over wonder trade on Home earlier. Almost certainly not legitimate without checking in detail but can't make use of it anyway so may as well keep it.

Update: hatched shiny Honedge after about 12 hours of trying. Stats not ideal, got to bottle cap attack and special defence. But that's inevitable with the foreign Ditto I have at present.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In my main save file, I managed to find all of the Swords of Justice’s footprints and caught all of the including Keldeo. Had to restart for Cobalion after the hail KO it. Got it on my second try.

DannyDiglett

I encountered a shiny Garbodor in the Wild Area today (the one in the overworld near the entrance of Motostoke). I tried to catch it with a Repeat Ball right at the start of the battle but it failed. Then it blew up itself with that annoying Explosion move directly after. Boldore has the same tendency. I hate that!

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forums. This thread is for discussion of people's gameplay of Sword and Shield.

Not for general talk.

Thank you.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Started with the Marnie fight in Budew Inn. Atlas mostly had no trouble except for Morpeko. Got Flinched from bite 3 times in a row. Rufus evolved from the Experience. In Kabu's gym I Noticed that catching the pokemon for an extra point is a lot harder than it seems. Trying to knock out the other trainer while they are trying to KO the wild pokemon, and the Wild pokemon attacking both of us. Did manage to catch a Litwick after a few super Potions. Atlas wiped out Kabu's whole team with no trouble as expected. On the way through the Wild Area to Hammerlocke I did my first bit of Camping for Kubfu. Actually managed to get a Copperajah Class Curry with no help from an NPC. Digging Duo were useless today, but i did find a Ditto Den near by. Which i just realized was from the Max Raid event since i found an Orbeetle at one point too. Blah Blah. Story stuff and Trainer Cards in Hammerlocke. Found the Applin Trainer and evolved the one i forgot i caught back in Rolling Fields. Cocoa Evolved against Team Yell in Route 6. Managed to Critical Capture a Yanmask for the Ballonlea Trade, and catch a Maractus for the Stow-on-Side Trade.

Wiped out Hop's team again and took a break.

Team
Cocoa - Rillaboom lvl 37
Dusk - Boltund lvl 37
Rufus - Excadrill lvl 37
Atlas - Cramorant lvl 36
Poe - Kubfu lvl 30

Last edited: