• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Ultra Beast Lover

It'd be a little funny if someone got the game early and posted everything. Preferably not on youtube but rather a reddit post people can ignore.

Orphalesion

gamefreak listened to their fans and now they are revealing less.

Well that would be more like "listened to some very, very loud people and Youtubers, who, somehow, played through Red and Blue with blinders over their eyes that, somehow, prevented them from getting #spoilerered(OMG!) by the anime (you know the show everyone watched with the Pokerap at the end that listed every single Pokemon with pictures?), any of the (at the time) ubiquitous merchandise, or even the game manual and so could discover every single Pokemon species by themselves and now want to relive a childhood experience that I kinda doubt ever happened in the exact way they claim"
Seriously during red and blue you couldn't walk into a toy store without seeing a Poster that listened all 150 Pokemon, Mew was in the Anime opening and Gens 2-4 had their Pokedexes online and in game magazines before release because they were released in Japan first.

But as DannyDark already wrote, it's unlikely that they'd fashion their whole marketing strategy on "mass fan outcry"

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I know there’s no way to know for sure unless GF themselves come out and say so, but... I really doubt this huge shift in how Sword and Shield are being marketed compared to previous years wasn’t affected by the fan complaints from gen 7.

It wasn’t just Pokétubers complaining, either (why would they complain anyway? More news means more videos for them to make which means more money). Once the October Sun and Moon trailers started coming out it felt like every site was talking about how they were revealing too much about the games. Even now, this is the only place I’ve seen that’s actually mad about there being less news for Sword and Shield.

TRNRLogan

Even now, this is the only place I’ve seen that’s actually mad about there being less news for Sword and Shield.

Same except for when poketubers make occasional jokes about making less money.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I will try to avoid information of new pokémon people will undoubtedly datamine before the released date, but I am looking forward a dataminer providing us a full list of old pokémon available in Galar.
I don't hate the dexit, but I won't deny from this point on which pokémon will be available in a game becomes one of the boxes I will want to check before deciding on buying it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
That's generally been me over the years. The exclusives tend to lean me towards the version I get first.

Orphalesion

. Even now, this is the only place I’ve seen that’s actually mad about there being less news for Sword and Shield.

No it's not the only place.

And as to the less news....so far CoroCoro has had basically nothing, to me it looks like the reduced presence of CoroCoro is at least part of the current ebb in news.

But we can talk about that until the game is released and we won't reach an agreement so...

KKS-Lapras

The complaints about their being "less" reveals and the reveals coming at a slower pace are not just here on Serebii, and it's not just the English speaking audience where that complaint is made. The Japanese audience has also been fairly vocal about that sentiment as well.

TRNRLogan

To be fair all that will happen by increasing the reveal rates is complaining about too many reveals. After all we get smaller groups of new pokemon in the recent games.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I mean, I don't recall there being that much revealed about DP and BW prior to their release. Or at least, they didn't reveal most of those games like they did with XY and SM. And no one was complaining that they didn't reveal enough about the games back then.

That sound less like them "revealing less" and more like "being spoiled by XY and SM and expecting that now."

With that being said, I think the real problem is we don't know just how big Sw/Sh are. Along there being nothing to compare to, I think part of the reason DP and BW get a pass is because ultimately, the games left just enough content a secret for players to discover that what felt like fewer reveals could be forgiven. XY and SM revealed arguably too much about the games and left very little content a secret. And to make matters worse, XY and SM had arguably less content than their predecessors (or at least, fewer Pokemon and areas to explore).

And therein lies the rub. We don't know yet if Sw/Sh will be another DP/BW (less revealed as a trade-off for more to discover) or if it will be another XY/SM (most of the game is being revealed unbeknownst to us, and in this case, less content revealed = less content in the game). I think some may be prematurely assuming it's going to be the latter.

But hindsight is 20/20, and we really won't know until the games are out.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I just checked and the first dataleaks for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee was around 11 Nov 2018 (5 days) prior to the official relase so I highly doubt we will get anything sooner than around 10 Nov this year...

Unless someone somehow get's an early copy or get's the demo which they are showing everywhere (still, we are not sure what is programmed there)

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Regardless of people's spoiler preferences, the games will always be datamined and leaked a week or two ahead of its release date. If I'm not mistaken, XY and SM's demos already contained the list of every Pokemon. So, it's no longer surprising if the same happens with SWSH.

What would be actually surprising is if GF would remove info from the demo.

Ultra Beast Lover

Regardless of people's spoiler preferences, the games will always be datamined and leaked a week or two ahead of its release date. If I'm not mistaken, XY and SM's demos already contained the list of every Pokemon. So, it's no longer surprising if the same happens with SWSH.

What would be actually surprising is if GF would remove info from the demo.
And we know they can't because that would break the game

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
And we know they can't because that would break the game

Actually, it won't.

They could simply remove all unused data such as text, model/map data and sound. They can replace all the other Pokemon data as gibberish or placeholder text. It's a demo after all.

I believe in the ORAS demo they did remove data, but still left important stuff that's why we already knew that there wasn't a Battle Frontier and there was a certain important NPC whose name is Zinnia.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
They can't datamine a game they don't have access to. ORAS and SM were datamined because they released a demo containing information relevant to the full game (such as the full Pokedex) and failed to scrub key parts of it. If they, like, don't do that, the only way we get an early datamine is if someone gets their hands on a copy of the game early (which I suppose isn't entirely out of the question somewhere along the chain of distribution, but that probably won't be a factor until a couple weeks from release at the earliest).

DannyDark

I mean, I don't recall there being that much revealed about DP and BW prior to their release. Or at least, they didn't reveal most of those games like they did with XY and SM. And no one was complaining that they didn't reveal enough about the games back then.

That sound less like them "revealing less" and more like "being spoiled by XY and SM and expecting that now.".

Just with this, as well.. DP released 13 years ago, and BW released 9 years ago.. so, I daresay, the majority of fans that care enough to be vocal now, aren't the same that were active during the release schedules of those games. Hell, a good portion of the vocal majority now probably weren't old enough to be vocal during DP's release.

It could merely be reflective of the gaming industry standards right now? Consoles are getting more powerful, games are becoming more expansive, more detailed and better looking.. so there's probably inherent assumptions with any new game release about the amount of content that is advertised, and the suggestions that makes of the overall content of the game. Of course, Nintendo has always took an alternate route to Playstation and Xbox so whether the inherent assumptions of quality are fair or warranted is questionable.

I've admittedly found myself comparing SwSh trailers to Borderlands 3 trailers and, content of the trailers aside, what I've really discovered about at least my perception of the Pokemon trailers is that they're not really fun at all? They're very much just "Look at this, this and this. Out November." whereas, even if the Borderlands trailer showed stuff you already knew, it was portrayed in such a way that it was enjoyable and a pleasure to watch regardless. Of course, Borderlands probably offers up more opportunities for fun, due to the actual content, but the recent glitch reveal has shown that deep, deep down.. there's the possibility of fun reveals there somewhere.

Man, I just wanted to point out the age possibility and accidentally got writing.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
One should consider the fact that before XY, all Pokemon games launched first in Japan. Everything were already spoiled by the time the rest of the world play the games.

Also, the delivery of news were periodic and we know when to expect it. We were all dependent on CoroCoro which is monthly and usually leaks 10-14th of the month. There's also Pokenchi (and its previous iterations) which is every Sunday.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
One should consider the fact that before XY, all Pokemon games launched first in Japan. Everything were already spoiled by the time the rest of the world play the games.

Also, the delivery of news were periodic and we know when to expect it. We were all dependent on CoroCoro which is monthly and usually leaks 10-14th of the month. There's also Pokenchi (and its previous iterations) which is every Sunday.

Pre-XY era is the infamous 'Emulator' era (NO$GBA, DesMuMe, etc.), which you could run the game on the launch date similar to how the early-copy owner leaks all files on internet for datamining. Nowadays, it works private and is only sent to reliable hackers to avoid rapidly-increasing Nintendo lawsuits.

The issue is: A. The option is illegal, despite it wasn't a serious offense. B. Almost all Generation IV and V Dex were released prior to the game, thus there wasn't a lot to explore IG except the story itself.