• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
The closer we get, the more agonizing it becomes.

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to pre-purchase the game. I wonder when they'll start that up.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to pre-purchase the game. I wonder when they'll start that up.
I'm betting we will get some datamine in the 1st week of November.
Let's Go got full datamine on 11/11/2018 which is 5 days prior to the official release.

I guess here it should be similar with SwSh. If we are lucky there might be someone who got the game few days earlier...

Bus

Honestly, with how dry the info has been, I'm considering just doing a mostly-blind run. At this point, we know some Galar forms, a sheep, an Imp that may or may not be real with how they refuse to acknowledge him, a doggo, and an awesome giant Raven of some kind. Oh, and a haunted teapot.

There might be others I'm forgetting right now, but if I just wait another 25 days or so (which shouldn't be hard given the info drought) I'll be able to play an almost completely blind run through a brand new pokemon game! I've never really been able to do that!

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I'm betting we will get some datamine in the 1st week of November.
Let's Go got full datamine on 11/11/2018 which is 5 days prior to the official release.

I guess here it should be similar with SwSh. If we are lucky there might be someone who got the game few days earlier...

Sorry for quoting myself but also checked and first gameplay from physical copies was shown around 8 Novembber so 8 days prior to the release.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m satisfied with waiting to see what else is in the games at launch during my first play through. Only Pokémon I want to get more info on is Impidimp because we don’t have any other Pokémon quite like it other than maybe Sableye but it is based on an entirely different creature.

Julia Artemis

I'm skeptical we will get a data mine before release because they seem to be doing as much possible to prevent leaks. Why we got anything from LGPE was it was a remake so nothing was really a spoiler and obviously they totally messed up with Sun and Moon with the demo. In a way I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to plan my team, still undecided what my actual team will be

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm skeptical we will get a data mine before release because they seem to be doing as much possible to prevent leaks. Why we got anything from LGPE was it was a remake so nothing was really a spoiler and obviously they totally messed up with Sun and Moon with the demo. In a way I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to plan my team, still undecided what my actual team will be
Well they’re more reluctant on the info they’re intentionally revealing not leaks (not to say they’re welcoming leaks). Datamining is inevitable because there will be some stores that sell games earlier than they should. Nintendo themselves have been strict with leaks yet all of their big releases have the same fate.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
There are just too many people and too many stores involved in the distribution process leading up to release. There's no way they can stop someone somewhere from getting their hands on a copy a little earlier than intended. They can discourage it by aggressively suing anyone caught doing it, but actually catching them is the tough part. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of people involved in distribution, identifying who exactly is responsible for a leak would be challenging.

On the other hand, just reading some comments in this thread and others on this forum, it seems there are some decently well-known locations that breach street date. I am sort of curious as to why Nintendo hasn't gone after them, if it's common enough knowledge that it makes its way onto a forum that, as large as we may be, only represents a rather small fraction of the Pokemon fanbase, surely Nintendo knows about it.

I'm still saying that picture is bullpoop. A "mothra" form/Pokemon was a common guess among the people who subscribe to the Gigantamax-Kaiju theory and the girl in the Eevee costume being a hint towards player clothing....when the leak is supposed to be about Pokemon makes little sense.
The "correct" guesses all came from credible leaks released before the picture and, as far as we know, Polteageist nixed the popular guess of a Teapot Elephant.

(Quoting you in this thread instead of General Discussion because rumor and stuff)

I'm inclined to agree that the picture leak is still probably nonsense, but I have to admit that the girl in the Eevee costume and the "tall cat" (possibly referencing Gigantamax Meowth, if the rumor is to be believed) are the strongest pieces of evidence that rumor has received so far. Coincidence has yet to be ruled out,and perhaps will never be ruled out by the very design of the leak, but it does have much stronger evidence to support it than it did before.

Last edited:

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
There are just too many people and too many stores involved in the distribution process leading up to release. There's no way they can stop someone somewhere from getting their hands on a copy a little earlier than intended. They can discourage it by aggressively suing anyone caught doing it, but actually catching them is the tough part. There are thousands if not tens of thousands of people involved in distribution, identifying who exactly is responsible for a leak would be challenging.

On the other hand, just reading some comments in this thread and others on this forum, it seems there are some decently well-known locations that breach street date. I am sort of curious as to why Nintendo hasn't gone after them, if it's common enough knowledge that it makes its way onto a forum that, as large as we may be, only represents a rather small fraction of the Pokemon fanbase, surely Nintendo knows about it.

(Quoting you in this thread instead of General Discussion because rumor and stuff)

I'm inclined to agree that the picture leak is still probably nonsense, but I have to admit that the girl in the Eevee costume and the "tall cat" (possibly referencing Gigantamax Meowth, if the rumor is to be believed) are the strongest pieces of evidence that rumor has received so far. Coincidence has yet to be ruled out,and perhaps will never be ruled out by the very design of the leak, but it does have much stronger evidence to support it than it did before.

I wouldn't count the long cat since that could've been just piggybacking from the affleck leak.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Then do u think Swsh might be leaked early? If so, about how much time before it's release?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I wouldn't count the long cat since that could've been just piggybacking from the affleck leak.
I don't think the Affleck leak mentioned G-Max Meowth's appearance, only that it would get a G-Max form. I'll have to double check later, I'm on my phone right now.

Kingudora

My favourite
Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing are new dynamics that will supersize pokemon in specific areas. Gigantamaxing is different from dynamax as it changes what the pokemon looks like. Meowth looks like long cat. Lapras gets layers like musical bars to its shell and musical notes. Pikachu looks like retro fat pikachu
Segment from the Affleck leak regarding Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing. Bolded the part about Meowth for emphasis.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Honestly, with how dry the info has been, I'm considering just doing a mostly-blind run. At this point, we know some Galar forms, a sheep, an Imp that may or may not be real with how they refuse to acknowledge him, a doggo, and an awesome giant Raven of some kind. Oh, and a haunted teapot.

There might be others I'm forgetting right now, but if I just wait another 25 days or so (which shouldn't be hard given the info drought) I'll be able to play an almost completely blind run through a brand new pokemon game! I've never really been able to do that!

Oh, I could never.

I have to see the entire roster before I play a new Pokémon game. One thing I can't stand is coming across a pokemon I know nothing about, which happened to me a lot in the old days. By Gen 4, I got sick of it, and that's when I found serebii.net.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Usually, I hope that the leaks are wrong so I can be surprised by the reveals later, but for this one, the young lady in the Eevee costume, I hope it refers to Mimikyu in an Eevee disguise.

In the Alola games, dataminers discovered an empty placeholder spot for an alternate formof Mimikyu, which ultimately remained unused for the entirety of Generation VII. Eevee experienced a surge of popularity during this generation, so I figured if they'll pick a second Pokémon for Mimikyu to have a disguise of but still functionally remain the same, it would have to be Eevee.

Yeah, most major releases would allow pre-purchasing the game by now. Even if it's to prevent information from coming out, surely you can pre-purchase the game without it being downloaded into the system. I've done that before with the Switch, though I don't remember which games they were.

That being said, considering there have been problems with server overloads in the past with Pokémon game releases, they most likely would have you pre-load the games so that it can be a bit more spread out. There may still be overloads when pre-purchasing is first allowed though.

Me, I've been saving a voucher for this game, the ones you get two of for $100 when you're a member of Nintendo Switch Online. I used one for Super Mario Maker 2, and I've planned out the wait for this one.

If a game's street date is broken somewhere, it's almost always the fault of someone working there, whether it be management or regular sales associates. Just like home video releases for movies, video games are given to retailers early, and while they're allowed to say they have it, and the bar codes will scan properly, they're not allowed to put it on the store shelves until the specified release date. (That can be as early as midnight though, so accounting for time zones, one can find out about a game up to about a day earlier.) When you see someone playing a game ahead of time, it's very likely one of these things happened:

1. An employee sneaks a copy out of the store, either to play it or to give it to someone. People who sneak them out will lose their jobs if found out, but a few people are crazy enough to not worry about that.
2. Less maliciously, a store receives copies of the games, and they're immediately put onto store shelves because the staff doesn't know about the release date.
3. A game was accidentally made digitally available before it's supposed to.

This is more likely to happen in a store that specializes in selling video games. It's less likely to happen in a general electronics store, such as Best Buy or Fry's Electronics, because they also sell movies on home video, and the big Hollywood studios are a lot more punishing to those who break street dates than video game companies. The general electronics stores are run by people who know of those consequences, and they won't break them for video games either (unless they get one of those aforementioned crazies working there, some of whom might take the job solely to break street date on a specific game).

There is a small chance someone involved in distribution is responsible, but they're much more likely to get caught, since the recipients know how many copies of each game they're supposed to get, and for major releases like this, they'll know if one is missing, which will be reported back to the distributor. (That being said, they shouldn't be counted out. The street dates for issues of Weekly Shonen Jump are broken every single week, and it turns out it was the distributors who were in on it, since there are scanlation groups paying the distributors to give the magazines to them early. Shueisha, the publisher, has caught some individuals, but they discovered an entire network of distributors doing this and that it's a hydra problem. One costs twelve times as much as the other though, so there will be a difference is priority.)

For the record, movie studios and game companies both do this sort of checking by sending in secret shoppers roughly on the week prior to release and having them report back locations they've found which broke the street date. That makes #1 much harder to track down, because all they know is that a copy had gone missing, and they know the individual involved is willing to take whatever punishments the companies will give, meaning deterrence is impossible. #2 happens usually out of ignorance, so most game companies simply give a warning, enough to scare the business owner into not doing it again (which is why you see some big stores do this and remain in business), though movie companies like Disney and DreamWorks start punishing immediately.

Oh, I could never.

I have to see the entire roster before I play a new Pokémon game. One thing I can't stand is coming across a pokemon I know nothing about, which happened to me a lot in the old days. By Gen 4, I got sick of it, and that's when I found serebii.net.

I remember conversing with someone who was AGHAST that I had planned out what Pokémon to use and to be ready when a new Pokémon appears. Her approach, as it seems is to go into a Pokémon game absolutely blind and look things up later on, upon completing the game (while making sure nothing is permanently lost), and she thought this was the standard. She was astounded that I would ruin the surprise deliberately and plan out how I'd play the game as extensively as I did.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
The bookselling industry works in a similar manner, but it's even more lax than the videogame industry. Publishing companies often go out of their way to make advance copies available to retailers, and it's not too difficult to distribute titles before street date as long as you're careful about it. Only HUMONGOUS titles like Harry Potter books or Dan Brown novels are "vaulted" such that vendors risk their hides by breaking street date. But honestly, the only way to hype readers nowadays is through word-of-mouth, so publishers and wholesalers suffer a lot by withholding information from the public. (If you can't tell, I'm speaking from personal experience here. It's easy to get away with things in bookselling when no one pays attention to mom-and-pop stores like mine.)

With regards to pre-planning, I can't believe there was a time when I didn't do it. :rolleyes: IIRC, it made the trials and tribulations of Gen V tolerable. Due to the scant amount of information we've been provided this time around however, I doubt I'll be able to be as thorough with SwSh as I was with SMUSUM.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The bookselling industry works in a similar manner, but it's even more lax than the videogame industry. Publishing companies often go out of their way to make advance copies available to retailers, and it's not too difficult to distribute titles before street date as long as you're careful about it. Only HUMONGOUS titles like Harry Potter books or Dan Brown novels are "vaulted" such that vendors risk their hides by breaking street date. But honestly, the only way to hype readers nowadays is through word-of-mouth, so publishers and wholesalers suffer a lot by withholding information from the public. (If you can't tell, I'm speaking from personal experience here. It's easy to get away with things in bookselling when no one pays attention to mom-and-pop stores like mine.)

With regards to pre-planning, I can't believe there was a time when I didn't do it. :rolleyes: IIRC, it made the trials and tribulations of Gen V tolerable. Due to the scant amount of information we've been provided this time around however, I doubt I'll be able to be as thorough with SwSh as I was with SMUSUM.

Thanks for explaining how it works with book publishers. I assume comic books function the same way, as I've heard a lot about pre-release events and that, despite superhero movies being the popular thing with movies nowadays, that doesn't necessarily translate to comic book sales, as most movie viewers just get by on the movies alone (just as most anime viewers don't read the manga). It makes a lot of sense that modern literature has a lot of problems bringing in new consumers, especially in light of the increasingly instantaneous culture of the Internet and social media. I've seen TV and heard radio commercials for upcoming novels though, and they tend to be...pretty bad. They used to be worse though; they wouldn't even explain what the story was about and would just go, "Read this latest hit from James Patterson, coming out this Friday!" or somesuch.

Those distributors who give out Weekly Shonen Jump every week ahead of release drag down sales of the English-language version severely. Shueisha sends them out Mondays, and stores are supposed to withhold them until Sunday. Since they give them to speed translators who race to be the first, a hasty translation will pop up within three hours each Tuesday. And since these are the English translations that come out first because Viz, the official English-language partner for the magazine, has to withhold them until each Sunday, they are the versions that get the biggest readership. There is even a pride in English manga subcultures in reading them instead of the official translations, which are slower, and they will mock people who read the official stuff (such as deliberately spoiling things to them and refusing to talk about the manga once Sunday rolls around). It's a big game of Keeping Up with the Joneses, and they don't want to be 5 days behind.

I know people who worked in places that sell games and movies, though I've only had experience working in secondhand stores (which I'm guessing also eats into your book sales significantly), which don't need to worry about breaking street dates. I have worked in the movie business though, which is how I found out about how it works. I have also worked in a company that manufactures consumer products, which gives out stuff in advance to retailers as samples, and they are quite strict about ensuring the retailers don't just turn around and sell them to customers.

Generaton V was definitely when I did the most pre-planning. I knew there would be no returning Pokémon until the postgame, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake the way I did with, say, Generation III, when I had a stall-based Wailord. Notably, that friend of mine who goes into Pokémon blind--that was when she started falling out and withdrawing from playing it in a serious capacity, at least as far as multiplayer battling goes. It was too much to keep up with those who DID learn about all the new Pokémon in advance.