• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So in terms of Gigantimax pokemon, are their base forms found in raids and can they be caught as pokemon that can Gigantimax or is it only the fully evolved forms who can be caught with the ability to gigantimax??

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
What I'm curious about is how Abilities are determined for Pokémon capable of Gigantamax and what their likelihoods are, especially for "event" Max Raid Battles. So far, no one has found a way to pass down Gigantamax, which means Abilities are more or less fixed, especialy Hidden Abilities. In particular is Corviknight, whose Gigantamax form and Hidden Ability have both been revealed (and I believe the latter was displayed in its Gigantamax form). Things point to you having to find a Corviknight that already has both traits to use them both. I don't think we'll know for sure until the event starts though.

P.S. Another thing I'm wondering is Stonjourner. Its Special Defense is 20, which is tied with Attack Deoxys as the lowest of any evolved Pokémon. How on earth are you supposed to use this thing, especially in a double battle as its Ability apparently is meant for?

I believe this as well. They explicitly stated that Sword/Shield would be the games that longtime fans have waited for. Now I’m not sure what that means exactly in terms of Game Freak’s views of what appeals to these fans, but I have doubts that what we’ve been seeing in the games so far were completely what they had in mind. As one example, I remember some bringing up an interview from the past where Masuda answered a question regarding the lack of connectivity and transferring old Pokémon between Gens 2 and 3. He said that it was something he was hoping would never happen again. I definitely believe there were issues with development, whether it was time constraints, malfunctions, inexperience, or all of the above that resulted in a less than ideal product that ultimately they couldn’t figure out before a much anticipated release.

I had forgotten about those things they were saying toward the beginning, actually. Sounds like they really wanted to make the Pokémon game that blows all of the previous ones out of the water based on those statements. That being said, they did notice the cracks by E3 when they made that anouncement about not every Pokémon making it in (and them being vague about how many would make it in was because they didn't know how many yet, just that they couldn't do it).

One other factor is approval. If they have to get permission from somebody and it takes a long time to get that permission, that can seriously hold back development, especially when they have a release date set for them that they cannot change.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
P.S. Another thing I'm wondering is Stonjourner. Its Special Defense is 20, which is tied with Attack Deoxys as the lowest of any evolved Pokémon. How on earth are you supposed to use this thing, especially in a double battle as its Ability apparently is meant for?

Probably with redirection support, or careful use of Protect. There's a few different ways you can compensate for its extremely low Sp.Def (as I recall Kartana saw some usage in VGC and has similarly appalling special bulk), and as I understand it, Power Spot is quite a potent ability for Doubles, Triples, Raids, etc., and while Stonjourner's lack of special bulk is a weakness, it's not one that can't be supported. Hell, I could even see Assault Vest with Screens and/or Sandstorm support being an option.

EDIT:
NASTY PLOT GENGAR!!!! FINALLY!!!

DaddyOak

I mean from what I can tell from my limited experience, porting models is not without it's potential issues and for all of how big Pokemon is, GF is still a small studio.

A friend of mine is porting Sims 4 models to Sims 2 and more often than not she has to reconstruct the meshes from a mess of stringy polygons, which she then has to fudge and push into their proper shape at which point she then has to take care of all the lighting/shadow and texture issues that arise.

Though, of course it does sound like a rumour that arose from somebody *wanting* it to be true. We'll just have to see. I for one don't quite believe that the possibility of Pokemon being patched back into SwSh or the return of the national dex is completely off the table.

Not to be rude but comparing gamefreak a proffesional company of one of the most succesfull franchises ever a big name to many 100+ proffesional people who do his for a living to a single amateur isn't that a bit much. how can we make this comparison? why would they use the same techniques it's most likely not going to be the same by a long shot.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Not to be rude but comparing gamefreak a proffesional company of one of the most succesfull franchises ever a big name to many 100+ proffesional people who do his for a living to a single amateur isn't that a bit much. how can we make this comparison? why would they use the same techniques it's most likely not going to be the same by a long shot.

To be fair, they probably are using more or less the same techniques. My point was more that if something does go wrong, GameFreak is a multi-billion dollar company with enough manpower that they should be able to fix it before the games ship. If they're still a small studio, then perhaps they need to consider expanding. The Pokemon games are one of the most successful and profitable franchises ever, GameFreak really doesn't have an excuse to not be able to solve a problem like what we're discussing here.

To be fair, they probably are using more or less the same techniques. My point was more that if something does go wrong, GameFreak is a multi-billion dollar company with enough manpower that they should be able to fix it before the games ship. If they're still a small studio, then perhaps they need to consider expanding. The Pokemon games are one of the most successful and profitable franchises ever, GameFreak really doesn't have an excuse to not be able to solve a problem like what we're discussing here.

that's kinda pathetic if a single amateur does the same thing as gamefreak hundreds of people supposedly proffesionals who work full time on a game. is gamefreak a joke sounds pretty bad imo that we can even make this comparison.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
that's kinda pathetic if a single amateur does the same thing as gamefreak hundreds of people supposedly proffesionals who work full time on a game. is gamefreak a joke sounds pretty bad imo that we can even make this comparison.
... That's not at all how that works. If an amateur changes a car tire, he does it more or less the same way a professional mechanic who's been doing it for 40 years does it. There isn't some secret magic technique to porting models over to a new format. The difference is, a company like GameFreak has less of an excuse for making mistakes than an amateur does, and even less of an excuse for then not fixing that mistake properly.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I just had a thought. If we are getting DP remakes next, we won’t be able to locally trade or battle between DP and SwSh since not all Pokémon are in SwSh. I can’t remember off-hand what the DPt Dex looks like, so I don’t know how many from that Dex is in SwSh, so, unless we aren’t getting DP remakes, they would have to add all DPt Dex Pokemon that aren’t in the SwSh Dex for the above to be feasible.

ShadowForce720

I just had a thought. If we are getting DP remakes next, we won’t be able to locally trade or battle between DP and SwSh since not all Pokémon are in SwSh. I can’t remember off-hand what the DPt Dex looks like, so I don’t know how many from that Dex is in SwSh, so, unless we aren’t getting DP remakes, they would have to add all DPt Dex Pokemon that aren’t in the SwSh Dex for the above to be feasible.

Not necessarily, as look at it how it was handled between Pokemon Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as in those games Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon had 5 brand new pokemon that weren't and Sun and Moon at all, so the way this was handled in those games is if you wanted to battle or trade with someone who is playing Sun and Moon while playing Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon you could as long as you didn't have pokemon or items that your pokemon is holding that weren't in Sun and Moon and only introduce in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

So basically with potential DP remakes how it would work is if your playing the DP remakes and you want to battle or trade with some one who is playing Sword and Shield you just have to make sure that in the case of battle that you don't have pokemon or items that your pokemon are holding that aren't in Sword & Shield when you battle them or when you trade with them that your not offering them a pokemon or a pokemon that is holding a item that isn't in Sword & Shield.

DaddyOak

so I've done some digging in earlier quotes by devs in the past.

pokemon company had a totally different vision back in the day during the heart gold soulsilver era. why didnt morimoto direct sword & shield why did it have to be matsuda might have done the series quality in the 3ds and now sword & shield some good.

CsLyncO.png

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
so I've done some digging in earlier quotes by devs in the past.

pokemon company had a totally different vision back in the day during the heart gold soulsilver era. why didnt morimoto direct sword & shield why did it have to be matsuda might have done the series quality in the 3ds and now sword & shield some good.

CsLyncO.png

I wonder how different things would be if previous people came back to be the directors of the games. Interestingly though, Masuda directed the BW games, but also XY, so he must have changed his beliefs in favor of the idea of mobile games at some point for Gen 6. Who knows if the previous directors have changed their beliefs towards that as well.

Just for reference, the directors of what are considered the “best” games were:

Takeshi Kawachimaru (Platinum)

Shigeki Morimoto (Emerald and Heartgold/Soulsilver)

Takao Unno (Black2/White2)

shadowF

Honestly I'm hoping for a B2W2 like sequels. I feel like leaving Galar so soon will be honestly disappointing. Maybe we can get both Galar sequels and DP remakes. Sort of what 3rd gen had with FRLG and Emerald

Doubt it to be honest, I can see Ultra versions but not sequels. They completed everyone's stories with no hole to fill up, they even gave stories and futures to all the characters as well. It's quite nice honestly since it makes it feel like they gave us a complete story in Sword and Shield when in the past it felt like not everyone's stories were wrapped up.