• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Isle of Armor & The Crown Tundra DLC - RUMOR & SPECULATION Thread [Spoilers]

Julia Artemis

That's what I'm worried about Sobble. The whole spy thing is way too similar to Greninja. I hope I'm wrong I love Sobble's design but think it being a spy would be a huge misstep like Chesnaught and Samurott. Honestly I just want it to be a bigger sad baby chameleon/giant aquatic lizard that can be a special sweeper.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
Sobble might become Water/Poison-type when it fully evolves.
In the TCG, Sobble is not weak against Grass-type, which is the weakness of other water-type starters.

Last edited:

Julia Artemis

Yeah I wanted it to be Water/Poison from the start. It's a great typing combo, look at Tentacruel and Toxapex. Also it learning Acid Armor makes a lot of sense and would make it more durable. And would be so happy if it learned Mimimize and Venoshock. Toxic, Venoshock is a deadly combo

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Huh, never thought of Water/Poison... But it could definitely work!

The only thing preventing such, though, is that poisonous chameleons aren’t really a thing. I know Pokémon =/= real animals, but they almost always take inspiration from them.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
It could still be Water/Ghost I could see it being either ghost, psychic, or poison. I don't know the Game Informer video didn't really give any possible clues about its evo unlike Grookey or Scorbunny
Im going to be honest. I don’t see Psychic at all. I think people are only saying this because Intelleon comes from intelligence, typically an attribute of Psychic type pokemon. I don’t see why the name has to mean it’s a psychic type tho. I mean we have a freaking unicorn that looks like it’s straight out of my little pony and it isn’t fairy type lol.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
My hatred for Vivillion stems solely from it being the only new Bug type in Gen 6 when we already had several butterflies, it being Bug/Flying rather than Bug/Fairy and it's gimmick being linked to your real-life location (I don't like any form of region-exclusive content)
The design of Vivillion isn't bad.

I mean, I think it sucks too that it's the only Bug-type line for Generation VI, but that's not something to blame Vivillon for! I was frustrated with not being able to come close to getting every Vivillon form also, but I don't hold any grudge against that Pokémon for it. More so that there are so many of them and some are found only in low-population areas, like Polar and Ocean (though I stumbled across the latter in a Wonder Trade just a few days ago).

Vivillon isn’t crappy. I’d argue that competitively it’s one of the best bug pokemon in the entire game. It has niche roles in both singles and double battles in a variety of tiers. Friend Guard Rage Powder redirection support and Tailwind support in VGC. Compound eyes Sleep Powder, substitute, quiver dance and then an accurate Hurricane sweep in the anything goes meta. And then you have the fact that it has 20 amazing and unique wing patterns including event only patterns, making it the most traded Pokémon on the GTS of all time and a big favourite for collectors. Plus it even has its own signature attack which is quite a fun surprise moveslot option.

I’d say our Gen 6 Bug pokemon was pretty epic (apart from a troll speed tier).

I agree. I used a Vivillon online for Generation VI (I live in California, so for the record, this one's pattern was High Plains), and that thing wreaked a lot of havoc on opponents for something with a base stat total of only 411 and no incredibly strong gimmick to compensate like with Smeargle or Ditto. This was before Friend Guard Vivillon became available, though, so I used Compound Eyes. As it turns out, the best call I had was to give it Protect, since it was on a double battle team and opponents love to target Vivillon.

Since then, I've been tempted to put Shiinotic onto a team, with its measly 405 base stat total but a lot of potential under the right conditions. Problem is that Illuminate is useless in battle, Effect Spore works against it, and Rain Dish requires support since it can't invoke rain on its own.

Anywayyyyy changing this topic...

I really don't believe the riddle rumor. As some people mentioned a while back, most of the pictures seem like a stretch, and even if it is real, it tells us nothing.

The riddle rumor is basically leaving enough open for people to make their own interpretations. As a result, potentially anyhting can match with one or more of the images in that collage. I mentiioned it before, but it's the same principle as your horoscope. Horoscopes are simply blind guesses, but they're phrased vaguely enough and describe generic enough situations that you will likely mentally link a connection to what it says. For instance, if your horoscope today reads, "There is something that frustrates you; be patient and you will resolve it," you might think this really is describing your day...when it's describing pretty much anyone's day.

On top of that, you are likely to forget the horoscopes that don't match with how you feel that day. Same with the picture riddle. The parts of that collage that don't correspond at all to anything in Pokémon Sword and Shield will be forgotten. If that image of Navi from Zelda Ocarina of Time never matches up with any Pokémon, you're going to forget it was ever a part of it. (And if you remember, that's probably because I brought it up.)

Oh hey, that was me!

Even though it’s pretty loose, I’m sticking with the medieval theme theory. There have been version exclusive pairs for weaker reasons (ex. Drampa and Turtonator).

In addition to the other reasons listed (both are dual-type with one of them being Dragon, and both are single-stage Pokémon), both of them have low Speed, a base stat total of 485, and a gimmick that relies on the opponent doing something (Shell Trap for Turtonator, Berserk for Drampa). They also have opposite dispositions, with Turtonator being impatient and hotheaded and Drampa being cool and peaceful. Though they're found in different areas, they're also found pretty far into the game, and like all counterparts, they're pretty close to each other in the National Pokédex.

I do wonder why wasn't the exclusivity revealed though. It's strange to me.

My guess is that Turtonator and Drampa weren't considered that important or that amazing of Pokémon. That, and perhaps they assume that you'll be able to trade by the time these Pokémon were available (especially Drampa, who's found in the last area of the game before the Elite Four).

Anyway, I have another theory for a possible Sword counterpart to Ponyta if it's not Farfetch'd and they don't take the obvious route and do Blitzle as another dual stage equine Pokemon. This might sound odd, but what about Galarian Litleo/Pyroar, as a reference to the UK Royal Coat of Arms? In their original forms, both are also dual stage Fire types.

This was something I had in mind for a while, since the lion is the UK counterpart to the unicorn. If the Litleo line does get an alternate form, I'd like to see one physically oriented; at the very least, this would allow Pyroar to make better use of Moxie.

I mean, is it not possible that when they originally debuted G-Ponyta, it was Fairy type and that they changed the typing. Or they might have showed them G-Ponyta, but never mentioned it's typing. If you were to look at G-Ponyta, would you assume Fairy or Psychic?

Ah, kind of like how Bart Simpson wears different-colored shirts in the merchandise. They change it every now and then to throw off bootleggers. They're also almost never the orange shirt he usually wears on the show, so bootlegs can be identified, as the people who made this decision correctly figured most bootleggers of Simpsons stuff would use the show as a basis.

I don't know of any examples of video games changing between game testing and the full release, however, since the point of game testing is to identify programming errors and oversights, and changing anything at all is likely to create more such errors and oversights.

OG Vulpix and Sandshrew may only have being Blue exclusives as something in common, but in Alola, they are both ice-types, so them being version-exclusives makes more sense.

They're also found in the same patches of grass at the same odds.

I agree. Also obviously typings have been repeated before, but I feel like it being Water/Dark would make it too similar to Greninja. I can also see Water/Poison as an option. I feel like Psychic or Ghost are the best choices.

If we're going with the spy theme, Fighting could work too, since they're associated in fiction with taking on bad guys.

SurrealistSmeargle

Im going to be honest. I don’t see Psychic at all. I think people are only saying this because Intelleon comes from intelligence, typically an attribute of Psychic type pokemon. I don’t see why the name has to mean it’s a psychic type tho. I mean we have a freaking unicorn that looks like it’s straight out of my little pony and it isn’t fairy type lol.
I don't think it's just limited to that. Sobble's tears are also said to be potent enough to make other people and pokemon cry with it. While that's definitely described as a physiological effect (adding credence to the option of Poison), that kind of manipulation of emotion and response tends to go along with the Psychic-type.
I personally think we can rule out the Dark-typing, since I agree, I think it would mostly skew too close to Greninja. But I think Poison, Ghost and Psychic are all viable options.

Kingudora

My favourite
Yeah, intelligence as an espionage term basically means 'relevant information', so not really tied to the concept of intelligence as the capacity of thinking and processing information.

Brendan017

That's what I'm worried about Sobble. The whole spy thing is way too similar to Greninja. I hope I'm wrong I love Sobble's design but think it being a spy would be a huge misstep like Chesnaught and Samurott. Honestly I just want it to be a bigger sad baby chameleon/giant aquatic lizard that can be a special sweeper.

Yeah I have a feeling it will be too much like Greninja. Although I think Chesnaught and Samurott were great designs, even if we dindt expect them to turn out like that.

Bus

I feel like Water/Poison has been done a lot, but when I look back, there's actually not that many pokemon with it. Maybe it's just because Tentacool is one of the most common regional pokemon lol.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I feel like Water/Poison has been done a lot, but when I look back, there's actually not that many pokemon with it. Maybe it's just because Tentacool is one of the most common regional pokemon lol.
I feel the same with Water/Flying and Water/Ice. They just seem so common. Water/Flying has almost always introduced at least one new Pokémon in every Gen except for VI and VII.

Bus

I feel the same with Water/Flying and Water/Ice. They just seem so common. Water/Flying has almost always introduced at least one new Pokémon in every Gen except for VI and VII.
Yeah, I had thought Water/ice was common, but I guess it was really just gen 1. Dewgong, Cloyster, and Lapras were all Water/Ice and in gen 1, so it just seemed like a lot.

Water/Flying I do think is slightly more common. And a terrible typing. Double weak to electric is a killer. It was always one of my favorite things to go against because be it Gyrados, Swanna, Pelipper, or whatever; they always gave great experience but would go down in like 1 Thundershock lol. Perfect for helping under-leveled pokemon catch up (before exp-share was made easier and easier, anyway).

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
If Sobble's gonna be anything I can see Water/Ghost fitting the most with its natural ability. It IS a Chameleon and all, and if the Spy thing was to be true the typing can work with it more.
And IK folks want him to stay a sad baby and all but idk I like the idea of him starting out all sad but then with a little love and care and he grows more confident each evolution.

DannyDark

The main reason I want him to maintain his somewhat glum persona, is because the other two have been portrayed as having party-going and energetic personalities. So if Sobble turns positive, I think they'd lose some diversity within the starter grouping.. unless one of the others' personality also switches.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Sobble might become Water/Poison-type when it fully evolves.
In the TCG, Sobble is not weak against Grass-type, which is the weakness of other water-type starters.

In a way it does makes a lot of sense sobble is based on chameleon whose bodies are poisonous, i thought it will be evolving into water/poison types. I am looking forwrd to its final form.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I think those heavy personality traits are more focused upon on base forms (and not only for starters). Once they reach their final stage usually the personality traits are not so discernible anymore as they just grow to be "badass grown ups".

I love poison types, so Water/Poison for Sobble would be perfect for me personally. But Water/Ghost seems to fit better what we know about it - and I wouldn't complain about it either.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'd honestly be fine with either typing. We haven't had an offensive Water/Poison-type yet (and judging by Sobble's base stats it seems likely that it's going to turn out to be a relatively frail powerhouse), but we also haven't really had an offensive Water/Ghost type yet.

Scorbunny most likely being pure Fire is the one part of the Affleck leak that kind of disappoints me. Pure Fire is not great typing by any means, and I wish he had ended up as something else such as Fire/Electric. Hell, I'd even prefer a 4th Fire/Fighting type to another pure Fire type. Scorbunny was the one I was leaning towards when the starters were first revealed, but now I'm leaning towards Sobble.

Grookey is a bit of a wildcard for me because we don't really have many clues about what his typing will be. Maybe he'll end up staying pure Grass, maybe Grass/Rock, maybe Grass/Fighting, maybe something we wouldn't otherwise predict. Anyway I don't think I've made it any secret that Grass is my least favorite type so unless he has some seriously interesting gimmick I probably won't be choosing him for my first playthrough.

Kingudora

My favourite
The main reason I want him to maintain his somewhat glum persona, is because the other two have been portrayed as having party-going and energetic personalities. So if Sobble turns positive, I think they'd lose some diversity within the starter grouping.. unless one of the others' personality also switches.
Yeah, I think Sobble's final evo will be the stoic one of the three. So less sad and more resolved than it used to be.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I could be wrong, but didn't the Affleck leak say that the middle stage Raboot was pure Fire?

Just because Raboot is pure Fire doesn't necessarily mean Scorbunny's final evolution is,

Or am i just reading the Affleck leak wrong?